Street Fighter IV - Gen Discussion & Info

This is fucking annoying. I've beaten the game so many times now trying to get Akuma. I've gotten 2 perfects and 2 Ultra finishes with a random character. Then the same thing because some site to do it with Ryu. Now I just beat it Sagat with only 1 perfect and no Ultra Finshes like Zew said...nothing.

fucking finally. update the OP to say that you have to beat the game again with someone you've already beaten it with while using what Zew said.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='will52']I thought I read somewhere there was a setting to match with people who are greater than or equal to you BP wise. I thought...
[/quote]

yeah there is that settings. problem is it doesn't work. Your right bp doesn't mean anything, just thought it would be fun to boost up my bp as high as i can while going for the 100win achievement (which i unlocked in the afternoon).

[quote name='A Happy Panda']This is fucking annoying. I've beaten the game so many times now trying to get Akuma. [/quote]

I used this guide from videogamesblogger
1. Akuma: After unlocking Sakura Kasugano, Dan Hibiki, Cammy White, Fei Long, Gen, and Rose. First finish the arcade mode (on any difficulty) with a character, in this case use that same character for this second or later playthrough. Then fight Akuma on arcade mode, to do that get at least 2 perfect rounds (for 1-round matches at least 1), 2 ultra combo finishes (no more) BEFORE defeating Seth, and you can’t lose any matches nor use a continue when you die. Beating Akuma will unlock him.

It worked for me...but im currently having issues getting to Gouken. Beat arcade mode w/ ryu & akuma. Got 2perfects 3UCs no continues and akuma keeps showing up for me. Its not that big of a deal but he will unlock someday!

This made me laugh:
1235173307390wd7.jpg

Man im having problems with the challenges. Im on level 10 in survival and 8 in timed. I cant even beat Akuma in the timed challenge, and i get to E Honda in the 10th level of survival and he owns me. Its annoying when they always avoid your moves, and can hit you through you blocks. Any tips?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I got Akuma...now I'm having issues with Gouken. This is just annoying. JUST GIVE ME MY UNLOCKED CHARACTERS CAPCOM.[/quote]

I just unlocked him 5seconds ago. got this from x360a. Did everything exactly as it said.

Gouken = Requirments: After unlocking Akuma you MUST beat the game with Akuma and get his ending before Gouken will unlock. Also, whoever you are trying to unlock Gouken with you MUST have already beat the game once. NO CONTINUES/NO ROUNDS LOST!!

Preperation: Set difficulty to Easiest. Rounds set to 1. Time set to 99.
Fight 1 - Perfect Finish
Fight 2 - Ultra Finish
Fight 3 - Ultra Finish
Fight 4 - Ultra Finish
Fight 5 DO NOT GET A PERFECT ULTRA OR SUPER FINISH
Fight 6 DO NOT GET A PERFECT ULTRA OR SUPER FINISH
Fight 7 DO NOT GET A PERFECT ULTRA OR SUPER FINISH
Fight 8 DO NOT GET A PERFECT ULTRA OR SUPER FINISH

It doesn't say how to beat him, so i just made sure i didn't get a perfect, ultra or super finish on gouken. just beat him w/ jabs at the end.

Just let me get this straight before literally beating the game for the 15th or 16th time for no good fucking reason other to unlock Akuma or Gouken.

I can do that method WITH ANY character I've already beaten the game with? I don't have to beat it with Akuma or Ryu or bullshit like that right?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I got Akuma...now I'm having issues with Gouken. This is just annoying. JUST GIVE ME MY UNLOCKED CHARACTERS CAPCOM.[/quote]

1 round
99 secs
easiest
E honda
human torpedo
3 perfects
3 ultras
ultra seth
fight gouken

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Just let me get this straight before literally beating the game for the 15th or 16th time for no good fucking reason other to unlock Akuma or Gouken.

I can do that method WITH ANY character I've already beaten the game with? I don't have to beat it with Akuma or Ryu or bullshit like that right?[/quote]

well according to that x360a how-to u need to beat arcade mode once w/ akuma. so in Gallery>Movies>Endings Akuma's is there. I got to and unlock gouken w/ bison since i dont have an issue getting 1perfect of 3 UCs w/ him but use whoever u want. just make sure u got that movie in the gallery before u waste 5-10minutes.

[quote name='naiku']well according to that x360a how-to u need to beat arcade mode once w/ akuma. so in Gallery>Movies>Endings Akuma's is there. I got to and unlock gouken w/ bison since i dont have an issue getting 1perfect of 3 UCs w/ him but use whoever u want. just make sure u got that movie in the gallery before u waste 5-10minutes.[/QUOTE]

Got him. Thanks for the tips.

I think someone should update the OP with what naiku suggested...

[quote name='Mindzeye82']So - quick community poll about controllers

Right now I have an EX2 and fightpad, but would like to get another stick. A gamestop near me has a standard edition fight stick. Do I

A. Buy the Standard Edition Stick and hope that it isn't defective or use Madcatz support to repair it
B. Wait until the re-issue of tournament sticks and buy one of those

What would you do?[/quote]

A Hori Real Arcade Pro EX is a good alternative to the Madcatz TE. It comes with a Sanwa JLF stick stock but the buttons are Hori. A quick mod to swap the buttons is easy though (no soldering req.) After buying buttons, it's roughly the same cost as the TE stick. (The SE's are crap from what I've been reading.)

Here are mine after I swapped the buttons and balltops.

P.S. It seems these are hard to find right now also, so you may just be best off waiting for a TE stick. I must have gotten lucky getting my 2 from Amazon about a week ago. I found a couple sites with them in stock but they are marked up to $199 (usually $129.99)

i dont know if i should be surprised or what not..but i did a check on SE sticks...they seemed to be sold out every where in the US or atleast online. I went through buy.com,amazon....the normal buying sites basically and all them were sold out. i never thought the SEs atleast would sell out absolutley every where online..well except for play asia probably but they are going to charge a rediculous shipping price.

im still debating if i want to build my own stick and make a project out of it or just get a SE stick since im poor and cant afford a TE stick. what you guys think?

This has probably already been stated, but I'm not a big fan of the character selection screen online. I loved the one in SF2HD where you could only hear the other guys selection cursor moving around and speculate from that who he was using. People screw around too much being able to see who the other person is potentially choosing.

I suppose and argument could be that this makes the game more strategic but I don't really see it that way.

Aw well... maybe this will be changed in the future.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Do the DLC costumes come with 10 colors, or do you have to unlock the 10 colors in the game to unlock them for the original and the DLC costumes?[/quote]

All 10 colors were available for me for the dlc costumes without unlocking any.

Well I'm down to 0 points and feel like I'm entirely wasting my time at the moment.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Do the DLC costumes come with 10 colors, or do you have to unlock the 10 colors in the game to unlock them for the original and the DLC costumes?[/QUOTE]

They come unlocked with the alternates.

[quote name='will52']I suppose and argument could be that this makes the game more strategic but I don't really see it that way. [/QUOTE]

I agree, it just becomes a big game of chicken to see who will pick last if someone really cares that much.

[quote name='TLPRIME']All 10 colors were available for me for the dlc costumes without unlocking any.[/quote]

Excellent news..... now i wont have to bust my ass trying to get #10 for sakura.

That's funny, I finally win one after like 12 straight losses at 0 and I now have more points then I ever had in the first place. Great system.

Seriously, how the fuck am I going to beat Seth with Sakura. I want to unlock Dan, but this shit is not working.

And can someone explain the new parry system to me? I haven't had time to delve into the new features that much because I've been trying (and failing) to unlock the new characters. From the little part of the manual I read, it said MP + MK, and it counters with a move of it's own, leaving you with some recoverable life on your healthbar.

Please tell me that's not the only way to do it, because every time I tried that, Sakura would do some sort of jumping knee move. I just want to parry Seth's Sonic Booms, not counterattack.

Yep that's what it is now and Sakuras focus is the knee. If you hold it down it'll charge until it becomes unblockable but will still only absorb one hit so second knocks you out of it. You can cancel out of moves into the focus attacks as well but then they lose the absorption property.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Yep that's what it is now and Sakuras focus is the knee. If you hold it down it'll charge until it becomes unblockable but will still only absorb one hit so second knocks you out of it. You can cancel out of moves into the focus attacks as well but then they lose the absorption property.[/quote]

This sucks balls

I never really played Third Strike so I can't really compare it but I don't think it's an awful system. Skilled players are still going to go back and forth and it gives you a fair bit of flexibility with what it can do for you.

[quote name='lolwut?']This sucks balls[/quote]

I got focus attack mapped to LT so i hold that absorb hit then tap Forward twice. W/ bison it will stomp the ground then move forward and not do the actual attack. I am sure there is a way to dash cancel sakura from actually doing the move.

edit: just tested out Guile throwing sonicbooms @ sakura. She can dash cancel out of the focus just like bison. (not sure if u can do it with everyone but my guess is you can)

Yea double forward or back cancels out. Says it right in the manual.

Sooooo why can Gief throw me through a reversal?

I hate to admit it but Cammy's priority seems to be so screwed up.

[quote name='amusedtoe']I never really played Third Strike so I can't really compare it but I don't think it's an awful system. Skilled players are still going to go back and forth and it gives you a fair bit of flexibility with what it can do for you.[/QUOTE]

third strike is a totally different beast than this. i tried incorporating what i know from TS and it didnt work for me at all. All i have left from third strike is ticking(which is in every SF), ken's target combo but i dont have his kick super anymore to rely on, and small links. everything else....out the door. I have to learn how to use dash cancel effectivley,focus attack effectivley....its like a whole new game to me compared to TS. not being able to parry kills me because i have a habit of trying to parry fireballs..but now i have to use the focus system for it.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I'm starting to get the hang the of Boxer and Dhalsim in this game but I still finding myself losing matches because my patience wears thin lol. Seems like mind games play a bigger role now than they ever did, especially if you make good use of the focus and dash cancelling.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, definitely. I just picked up Balrog in HD Remix but I feel like his pacing is different in SFIV. He's still strong, but I'm having trouble adjusting.

I played some ranked matches tonight and I definitely need to work on both of those techniques. I can see how useful focus attacks are and got wrecked a few times with it. I guess practice makes perfect..

Also is it just me or does it seem like there are an awful lot of Gief characters online who just spam the lariat? I ran into like 2 or 3 in a short span. It's not very difficult to get around depending on who you are, but I was a little surprised to see it.

It's either that or they jump on your head off the bat then throw you nonstop. I don't like that you can't recover from their throws and the way the throw counter works now, never seem to be able to get out where in HDR I was able to escape a fair amount at least. By the time you get up they're back on top of you spamming whatever cheese.

It's kind of sad that this game is taking the same arc as HDR, love Cammy to pieces, intend to main her, she's kinda gimped against a lot of characters, I sadly find a new main. On that note I can't decide who. Rose seems to be in the same boat not even having an overhead at all, maybe Sakura though she's annoying as sin.

[quote name='MtlTom']Yeah, definitely. I just picked up Balrog in HD Remix but I feel like his pacing is different in SFIV. He's still strong, but I'm having trouble adjusting.

I played some ranked matches tonight and I definitely need to work on both of those techniques. I can see how useful focus attacks are and got wrecked a few times with it. I guess practice makes perfect..

Also is it just me or does it seem like there are an awful lot of Gief characters online who just spam the lariat? I ran into like 2 or 3 in a short span. It's not very difficult to get around depending on who you are, but I was a little surprised to see it.[/QUOTE]

his lariats are pretty nasty. I can understand them being overused..... but if you have a shoto or anyone that can throw a projectile....all you have to do is play keep away. I played Gief vs Akuma and i couldnt even reach him because the dude just kep playing keep away. infact, it go so dull and boring that all i stopped chasing him and all he did was throw fireballs...and chucked out lariats. most boring fight ever.

Yea but if you're not a shoto you can only avoid them so long unless you want to play get a little ahead and let time run out game and that's even worse.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Yea double forward or back cancels out. Says it right in the manual.

Sooooo why can Gief throw me through a reversal?

I hate to admit it but Cammy's priority seems to be so screwed up.[/QUOTE]

Haha, that just happened to me in a ranked match as Cammy. Reversal Cannon Spike, and Gief hit me with a pileddriver. It was nuts.

So far, Zangief is the character giving me the most trouble as Cammy, with Sagat and Akuma tied for second (though I seem to usually beat Akuma--it just always comes down to the wire). Loving the game so far, despite a few imperfections. Can't wait for my stick to show up in the next few days.

[quote name='lolwut?']Seriously, how the fuck am I going to beat Seth with Sakura. I want to unlock Dan, but this shit is not working.

And can someone explain the new parry system to me? I haven't had time to delve into the new features that much because I've been trying (and failing) to unlock the new characters. From the little part of the manual I read, it said MP + MK, and it counters with a move of it's own, leaving you with some recoverable life on your healthbar.

Please tell me that's not the only way to do it, because every time I tried that, Sakura would do some sort of jumping knee move. I just want to parry Seth's Sonic Booms, not counterattack.[/QUOTE]

Jump in and uppercut him! I got a perfect that way.

I think one of the main complaints I have with this game is no tournament mode like SFIIHD. It is really weird that they don't have that awesome online option. On a side note I think the game is awesome. Even better tonight I got to play with CheapyD!

Anyone know what the 3rd premium theme looks like? The description and preview banner look similar to the 2nd premium theme so I'm guessing it's probably something similar in overall look but featuring different characters/backgrounds?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Man im having problems with the challenges. Im on level 10 in survival and 8 in timed. I cant even beat Akuma in the timed challenge, and i get to E Honda in the 10th level of survival and he owns me. Its annoying when they always avoid your moves, and can hit you through you blocks. Any tips?[/QUOTE]

Just pick Zangief and press left bumper over and over, never letting him get far away from you. I beat it with a Gold on my first try this way.

Premium Theme 3

Not the best pics but gives you an idea. I went with the fourth one myself, was just too crazy.

I'm tempted to cheese my way through the trials to get the stuff unlocked but would probably just regret it.

Wow. So I found out that there were 2 difficulties below what I was playing (Very Easy and Easiest). Seth is definitely no longer a problem. I have no idea how I missed that.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Premium Theme 3

Not the best pics but gives you an idea. I went with the fourth one myself, was just too crazy.

I'm tempted to cheese my way through the trials to get the stuff unlocked but would probably just regret it.[/QUOTE]

I might just buy that theme, pretty sick IMO
anywhere have premium theme 2?

I love the game, but glad I just rented it. I tried playing online for about 2 hours and I am tired of fighting Ken. I have to admit I fought only 2 other non-Kens in that whole time and it was Sakura and Chun Li.

I was so happy to get someone using a non-Ken that when the guy using Chun Li kicked my rear I still was happy.

I'm gonna wait until it drops in price.

[quote name='Bazz']I think one of the main complaints I have with this game is no tournament mode like SFIIHD. It is really weird that they don't have that awesome online option. On a side note I think the game is awesome. Even better tonight I got to play with CheapyD![/quote]

I think this is coming in the form of DLC. But yea, they gotta make the whole online a little less dry in terms of matchmaking.

Need some more achievements too!

[quote name='The 7th Number']I heard to unlock Gouken you need to

- Unlock everyone but Gouken and Seth
- Beat the game with any character you beat the game with previously with one perfect Match and three Ultra Combo Finish matches. Also without using a continue.

I beat it last night on my first try, easiest with Bison. Got 2 perfects and 3 ultra winning moves and i faced him and unlocked him.[/QUOTE]

I have the game beat with all but about half the hidden fighters. I had 2 perfects and 3 ultras and no continues and fought akuma again.

You have to beat the game once with Akuma after you unlock him on any difficulty/round/time limit.
After that, you do the 2 Perfects and 3 Ultra Finishes with any character of your choice and no continues for Gouken.
Note: If you do not beat the game with Akuma, you can still fight Gouken but he will not be unlocked even if you beat him.

ie. Match 1,2 = Win with Perfects, Match 3,4,5 = Win with Ultra Finish and the rest just beat as normal, I wouldn't recommend finishing with a Super Finish. From what I understand, if you do a Ultra finish and get a perfect it doesn't count as 1 or each.

Anyways, I just realized that we don't get to break any barrels or destroy a car. What's up with that?

My fightpad won't recognize QCF on the right side anymore. It always inputs it as FDF (example: Instead of a Hadoken, it always comes out as a Shoryuken). What do I do since this thing's sold out everywhere?

Yeah, the match making system is really bringing this game down for me. I dont care what excuse people use the simply fact is that close to all of my online matches are against Ken/Ryu. Win, lose, draw I dont care but its starting to physically pain me to fight them because its so boring.

This along with the inability to find people ranked close to me so I am always going up against rookies which are more likely to pick Ken/Ryu is also annoying. I have tried search by network, search by same skill, search by more skilled none of it seems to work. I am at around 2012 BP and my average oppenent is around 900-1200. I just dont get it.

I wouldnt even care about the the rank as much is newer players were not so prone to picking Ken/Ryu. If I could just filter out those 2 the game would become a classic. I think I might start keeping a running tally of how many Kens I vs.

[quote name='Soodmeg']
This along with the inability to find people ranked close to me so I am always going up against rookies which are more likely to pick Ken/Ryu is also annoying. I have tried search by network, search by same skill, search by more skilled none of it seems to work. I am at around 2012 BP and my average oppenent is around 900-1200. I just dont get it.

I wouldnt even care about the the rank as much is newer players were not so prone to picking Ken/Ryu. If I could just filter out those 2 the game would become a classic. I think I might start keeping a running tally of how many Kens I vs.[/quote]

I agree, but people would freak out if they had to wait 30 secs to a minute to find someone very close to their bracket. So I guess the system is 'better close in rank than waiting'. Ken/Ryu players don't bother me too much, they're usually just cannon fodder. Also there are people in the millions+ now, so really in the entire leaderboard, you are probably playing people in your bracket.

Anyone with the 360 CE interested in purchasing my PS3 CE Ryu figurine? I just got the CE to get the DLC Voucher and the Anime Blue Ray

Funny because I think I've only played like 1 Ken and 1 Ryu online ranked. Then again I think I've played maybe 10 ranked matches since I was working on unlocking Seth. Now that I have Seth maybe I'll try some more ranked matches.

BTW, the Gouken unlock everyone keeps mis-informing about I have not found a single one that worked. The only way I got it was I did 2 ultra finishers and 1 perfect playing with Akuma since every other person I tried the same thing with and every single one of the previous quoted methods on this thread put me up against Akuma. Who knows maybe the games just kinda glitchy or something. Although, what I find pathetic is that the stupid Prima guide has the wrong/insufficient info on unlocking Akuma and Gouken....I mean come on they should have this shit straight.

bread's done
Back