Street Fighter IV PS3 Official Discussion Thread

Finally got back to playing this, still have Cammy as my main. Finished up normal Time Attack and Survival modes last night. Working on hard Survival level 4 and online matches now.

Feel free to send an invite if you guys see me on, I'd rather play CAGs than random people online.

I'm in Gen, but after getting smacked hard first time online with the TE stick w/ new championship DLC, I've been spending a great deal of time in trials/training to improve my combo execution. I do believe we've played at least once though...

[quote name='jterp7']I'm in Gen, but after getting smacked hard first time online with the TE stick w/ new championship DLC, I've been spending a great deal of time in trials/training to improve my combo execution. I do believe we've played at least once though...[/quote]

Yeah, I need to work on my combos too. I don't know if we've played each other yet, I don't have you on my friend list, but I'll send you a request.

I think the thing with the new ranking system is that it just hasn't had time to pan out yet, so you're going to be seeing some really stiff competition even if the player has low GP. Don't be discouraged! :)

My Fighting Stick 3 kicked the bucket over the weekend. Well not really, the plastic nubs that held the stick to the panel snapped off. I am going to have to drill a hole into the panel and run screws through the top. Not sure if it's really worth the effort. I paid $30 for the stick and have gotten almost 200 hours of SF4 logged into it. Might just splurge and get a HRAP or a MadCatz stick (now that they're a little easier to find).

[quote name='GenDV138']Yeah, I need to work on my combos too. I don't know if we've played each other yet, I don't have you on my friend list, but I'll send you a request.[/QUOTE]

Cool, I'm still stuck on trial 4 for almost everyone except for Dan lol which I finished and almost through all of bison's Hard trials, one left. I watched the combo tutorial for ryu yesterday and have a little more patience now, but I finally went through Gen's Gekiro business which is tap....tap..tap.taptaptptptp. More practice still needed though

[quote name='HowStern']Do the thing where you jump in and throw them.

It's like a 3/4 circle motion and a punch or a kick and then LP/LK in the air over their head[/QUOTE]

problem with that is if they are walking back or dashing forward you'll miss iwth it and get left open. And if they are holding downback you will miss the throw and land in front of them. What cammy really needs is an overhead attack. I'm fine with all her moves but i have such few options when I corner them. The spinning back fist could definitely be sped up, especially if it's an EX. I also hate that her Ultra completely misses if a person is doing a FADC.

And championship mode, I was hoping to be able to save replays by myself.

Wow -- I stopped player since my tournament on Saturday and picked it up today. Won two tournaments w/ one match lost between those two, and I went from ~250 Battle Points to ~380 Battle Points after them. I ended up with 4,000+ Championship Points after the end of one tournament.

Sad thing is though, pretty much everyone I faced was a scrub. :whistle2:(

Still struggling to do the cLpx2 ~cLk ~ Headbutt combo. I can do the cLk ~ HB just fine, but add in more buttons and I don't have the finger dexterity yet to land the combo with any real certainty. Bah!

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']@option I hit that wall with zangief this weekend. I got poked to death by a chun li, sagat, and fei long. they all know not to let me get close. I changed my style though slightly and I learned. I wish they had that video up for replay against this chun li I beat for a champtionship victory.

for cammy. you gotta start doing cannon drills from certain distances to play those games with your oppoenents. the short one works best from 3 people away. soon as they try to act, you can normally counter with a cannon drill at the moment.

we need to spar with each other. we haven't fought against each other in a while. imma look for you and the minute I see you imma invite. sorry bout last time though.[/quote]
Yeah for sure DK, however, this and next week I have a lot of stuff going on, so my PSN hours are going to be unpredictable. But I look forward to playing some matches.

For Zangief, coming from someone who constantly gets raped by the guy, abuse his spinning lariat and just properly space with it. It get's me everytime.

[quote name='GenDV138']Finally got back to playing this, still have Cammy as my main. Finished up normal Time Attack and Survival modes last night. Working on hard Survival level 4 and online matches now.

Feel free to send an invite if you guys see me on, I'd rather play CAGs than random people online.[/quote]
What's up Gen? I thought, given your name, you'dmplay as Gen, lol. We gotta share tips and tricks for Cammy man.

[quote name='HowStern']Do the thing where you jump in and throw them.

It's like a 3/4 circle motion and a punch or a kick and then LP/LK in the air over their head[/quote]
That move is ok, but down-back simply owns it. Why can't it be like the CvS2 version.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']problem with that is if they are walking back or dashing forward you'll miss iwth it and get left open. And if they are holding downback you will miss the throw and land in front of them. What cammy really needs is an overhead attack. I'm fine with all her moves but i have such few options when I corner them. The spinning back fist could definitely be sped up, especially if it's an EX. I also hate that her Ultra completely misses if a person is doing a FADC.

And championship mode, I was hoping to be able to save replays by myself.[/quote]
I have come up with a seemingly useful application for the hooligan. Basically, if you're performing a block string on the opponent, noteabley c.lk,c.lp,c.lk, you can do a hp hooligan then cancel asap. This can also be used on her back throws, and hooligan throws.

- If the opponent is still crouching (most likely is), you'll end up on the other side and the hooligan will act like sort of a cross up minus the attack part. From there, you can c.mk xx whatever (even a super if you can hit confirm it).

-If the opponent decides to stand up for whatever reason, you'll get the hooligan throw and an easy knockdown.

-If the opponent is mashing reversal dp (mashing df and punch). You'll most likely get hit. So you'll still have to watch out for this and predict accordingly by blocking or doing nothing if you think they'll do it.

I've had moderate success with this, and I think it's a decent mind game. I believe it can be reacted to, but I never see any other Cammy's do this, so it must be a new thing to many others.

I really have got to stop playing charge chars. I can't pull off a decent srk anymore... at least when I want to...

As for the replays... I still haven't figured out how to do it. Where's the option?

Replays work by being in the top 5000 CP.
SO unless the amount of CP you win is in the top 5000 you will not get a chance to upload your replay.
If you already have a replay, then you have to beat your highest CP tourney to get another replay to replace the old one.

I do not play on a PS3 but I'm sure the rules of replay are the same as the 360.
On the 360, I've played against the 3rd, 6th and 10th person on XBL with the highest GP.

3rd uses Cammy, 6th uses M Bison, 10th uses Akuma. They are all too deadly, felt like I couldn't even pull off an attack or counter.

[quote name='decon']Anyone interested in gamesharing the complete alternate costume pack? Should be out today from rumors.[/QUOTE]

I would, but how would that work exactly?

I would be down for a gameshare account also. it is just that honestly whoever joins we all have to agree on the other games we download stuff for.

[quote name='jterp7']I would, but how would that work exactly?[/quote]

If the complete pack costs say $20... split 5 ways would be $4.xx each person. Main acct would download it, then the other 4 people would login to same acct and download. Just have to keep the shared account on your system.

I'm still not going to buy the damn costumes but the 4 pack was released on XBL today for $12.50, so expect to see the unlock codes as a 4 pack this Thursday. I guess the people who waited are getting slightly less fucked over than the people who bought all 4 packs individually.

[quote name='GodlyOne']I'm still not going to buy the damn costumes but the 4 pack was released on XBL today for $12.50, so expect to see the unlock codes as a 4 pack this Thursday. I guess the people who waited are getting slightly less fucked over than the people who bought all 4 packs individually.[/quote]

I am really on the fence on this one. mainly because I want all the packs. Capcom can do better with this one though.

here is a suggestion. instead of selling unlock keys from the first day of release you sell unlock keys for not just extra outfits, but extra characters(cammy, gen, etc.) extra stages, or and extra music.

this way you are rewarding players who actually play the game, but are able to earn profit from the ones who want everything from the start.

anyway I think imma retire from SF and games for a little to clear my head about life.

[quote name='GodlyOne']I'm still not going to buy the damn costumes but the 4 pack was released on XBL today for $12.50, so expect to see the unlock codes as a 4 pack this Thursday. I guess the people who waited are getting slightly less fucked over than the people who bought all 4 packs individually.[/quote]
I thought it was stupid to include a downloadable pack in the Collector's edition. CE should have had it's own costumes or colors.

I may pick up the pack for $12.50. We could game share it for 5 people...come out to $3 or less per person.

So I've ranked up to G2-E on Championship mode, but am getting SERIOUSLY owned. I absolutely expected there to be a large jump from skill level between G3 and G2, but I find myself at near complete loss.

Perhaps I should go back to just Ranked matches to continue getting better before jumping back in.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']
anyway I think imma retire from SF and games for a little to clear my head about life.[/QUOTE]

(tongue in cheek)

i thought you did that when you took off time to get through re5. or are you really resting up for mvc2, kof and blazblue?

hope things get cleared sooner than later.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']
here is a suggestion. instead of selling unlock keys from the first day of release you sell unlock keys for not just extra outfits, but extra characters(cammy, gen, etc.) extra stages, or and extra music.
[/quote]

I was telling my best friend when this came out that there is a potential for capcom to make me poor.

I would love to see them release a classic music pack, 3D remakes of old stages, costume packs, whatever. New characters would be nice- but hell- they could even release variations of existing characters with different move sets (Where is alpha Ken with crazy kicks and roll?). They could even release packs changing the game dynamics (Add Parry counters, Alpha counters or Custom combos).

The options are endless- and I hope they see it that way and do some fun stuff via DLC. I don't think SF4 will have the DLC legs that something like Burnout has- but they could milk it for a while if they wanted (Super Street Fighter EX+@ 4 Turbo' anyone?).

[quote name='Ecofreak']So I've ranked up to G2-E on Championship mode, but am getting SERIOUSLY owned. I absolutely expected there to be a large jump from skill level between G3 and G2, but I find myself at near complete loss.

Perhaps I should go back to just Ranked matches to continue getting better before jumping back in.[/QUOTE]

The G-2 "rank" has a good 10K+ GP range. I constantly find myself getting up to the finals or 3rd match only to run into someone with ~9K GP and getting totally manhandled. Although it has started to break some of my bad habits (trying for meaty pokes on wake-up, jumping in a bunch), but it can be frustrating.

I think the key to winning G-2 matches is to play as Guile. I play my best as Chun-Li, but I ran into some Guiles that had really high GP, but they honestly just weren't that awesome (lots of turtling). So I switched to Guile for some games. Won my first G-2 tourney with him and my Guile is pretty stank. I guess people just don't know what to do against him?

Maybe it's just me, but does it seem meaties on wake-up aren't as effective in SFIV? Especially since reversal timing is less strict and shortcuts are present? Also seems like the invincibility on some moves are ridiculous.

Street Fighter® IV Alternate Costume Pack

Slots Available: [4/5] ($12.50/$6.25/$4.17/$3.13/$2.50)

1. decon

Final PayPal Price:
$2.88 (if 5 people)

PM me if interested

Is the pack even available yet? I know it's out on Xbox, but I tried looking in the PSN store over the weekend and couldn't find it.

Street Fighter® IV Alternate Costume Pack (All Costumes)

Slots Available: [0/5] ($12.50/$6.25/$4.17/$3.13/$2.50)

1. decon
Serpentor
3. jterp
DantheApe
5. ohvermie

Final PayPal Price: $2.88 (5 people)

GROUP IS FULL!

OHVERMIE - that's because you probably already downloaded an individual pack. Because you(and I) did that, we can't see it on that account. Our gameshare will be on a new acct.

Last edited by a moderator:
That might explain it. Didn't realize the store was smart enough to hide items from me if I downloaded items off of a bundle already. I don't recall them taking away Rock Band albums/packs downloads if I downloaded a single song off them.

Had some issues with the previous costume pack gameshare.

Slots Available: [4/5] ($12.50/$6.25/$4.17/$3.13/$2.50)

1. ohvermie

Let me know if you're interested.

Is there an easier way to input FA cancels after moves? Seems like everytime I FA cancel a move and try to dash out of it, I dash too much and can't input anything in time. I managed to do one of Gouken's hard trials with a FA cancel juggle into ultra because there was plenty of time to recover from a second dash. But I can never get the game to just register one dash after an FA. I think the game buffers a bit too much for its own good for the sake of making things "easier" and that I am a total spaz when it comes to higher level execution.

i have just started getting back into this one after being distracted by a bit of work and the like, slowly working my way through the challenges

if anyone is interested, send me a friend request...always down to play against cag-ers

i hadnt even thought about that lol

i am really wishing i had an arcade stick for this game...i have an x-arcade double stick, but the adapters would be a solid $50 and i have heard 0 reviews as to someone using an x-arcade with a ps3

[quote name='ohvermie']You can quickly work your way through the challenges by using Zangief and lariat spamming the hell out of them. :)[/QUOTE]
Any tips for the combo challenges?

Slots Available: [2/5] ($12.50/$6.25/$4.17/$3.13/$2.50)

1. ohvermie
2. dantheape
3. Serpentor
4. jterp7

Just need one more

As for the combo challenges, those unfortunately you'll have to do on your steam. Turbo button helps getting some of the links down, but the really tricky timing ones aren't until the hard combos. There are also youtube videos out for all the combo challenges, since some of them aren't just standard combos, but juggles and the game doesn't tell you (I'm looking at you Chun Li normal combo trial!).

Slots Available: [FULL] ($12.50/$6.25/$4.17/$3.13/$2.50)

1. ohvermie
2. dantheape
3. Serpentor
4. jterp7
5. justin37

Alright, PMs have been sent for payment. I'll get this purchased tonight and will e-mail user account information once I receive payment. Thanks!

Ok here goes probably an older question but now that I am using an arcade stick I cannot consistently pull off Sagat's low step kick->tiger shot. The problem I am having is every time I want a tiger shot the knee comes out. I can pull the knee off every time but the high and low tiger shots give me trouble.

This sounds similar to the problem I used to have with the dpad when I used ryu/ken/etc. You have to make sure that you complete the motion to the right otherwise the shortcut motions in SFIV may lead to a knee coming out.

Still three spots open on my SF4 Costume pack group

1. Me
2. Bri-0

If people are interested it only cost 2.82 for the pack.
If all goes well, me and Bri-0 agreed on doing this again for MvC2.

Just picked this game up from Half-Price Books for $23.98 before tax. Going to give it a whirl then goozex it's ass.

I really think the move system is archaic but who cares? It looks purty.

I've got this game on rental from Blockbuster. If anyone wants to destroy me, just add me on PSN(Cartman058). I am wtfawful at this game. I've played about 5 matches online and have only been close to winning in one. :lol:

[quote name='decon']Any tips for the combo challenges?[/QUOTE]

Timing.
Look at the golden line across your opponents health bar for when to push the next button.

Also get a stick, you'll enjoy the game much more and you'll probably never want to go back to a controller again.

I guess I'll be the first to mention that although the stick gives you much better control I'm probably one of the few still hanging around G3, so I doubt I'll ever be G1 but I'll never say this game is too easy.

ohvermie- you want to do a group buy for mvc2 and HDR?

[quote name='jterp7']I guess I'll be the first to mention that although the stick gives you much better control I'm probably one of the few still hanging around G3, so I doubt I'll ever be G1 but I'll never say this game is too easy.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the invite the other night jterp7.

Once you get 2000 GP you get to G2-E. I have seen some who have 12000GP and are still G2.

I had fun with G3, but G2 I haven't gotten past a 3rd bout. It's no fun playing G2, can't beat these kids who play all the time.

I feel as though having the button layout with the stick is nice, but I have more control with the DS3. May have to go back to DS3.

I have about 25hrs of SFIV using the TE stick now and I'm sure I can never go back. If anything because I got used to doing ultras with all three buttons instead of the shoulder buttons on the DS3. Also, seeing as my main is balrog, going back to the ds3 wouldn't work too well. I'd probably still be better with the ds3 for shotos especially for consistent ultra execution in those key moments, but I'd rather improve on the stick.

you have a good blanka decon, good for annoying ken/ryu users lol

[quote name='jterp7']I guess I'll be the first to mention that although the stick gives you much better control I'm probably one of the few still hanging around G3, so I doubt I'll ever be G1 but I'll never say this game is too easy.

ohvermie- you want to do a group buy for mvc2 and HDR?[/QUOTE]

Not particularly interested in MvC2 or HDR. Sorry.

I guess I should add some peeps to my friends list for SFIV fighting since it seems like everyone on my list is playing inFAMOUS. D:

I had some good games last night...

I was in the championship match last night against an akuma with my zangief. He comes at me with the raging demon and I grab him out of it with gief's ultra. All I could do is laugh because it felt so good to really enjoy the game again. I know I had at least 5500 points after the match so I wonder why it won't come up as a replay for everyone to watch?

bread's done
Back