SUPER DUPER EXTREME YMMV - RE5: Collector's Edition - $69.99 TRU

Penguin1084

Banned
Ok, I'm not sure if you would consider this a "deal" or not, but...

Today I went to TRU to get RE5 + my $20 gift card and I saw that they had two copies of the collector's edition. I said to myself, wow, that would be nice to get with a $20 gift card. So I asked the employee and he said it didnt work, so he called the manager. I told the manager that no where in the ad does it state that it "excludes the collector's edition of the game". So I persisted and told him that I could have went to gamestop or somewhere else but I came to tru, times are bad, money is rough, etc etc.

He then said "I'll take care of it for you" and walked away, came back, and did a manual $20 off my purchase of the collector's edition.

So I got the collector's edition for $69.99.

150% YMMV. Try it. Whats the worst that could happen? They say no?

If need be, I can scan my receipt.

Ha, nice one. I was able to get the standard edition for $40 from BB today through a PM policy using TRU's ad. Turned around and picked up the collector's strategy guide with the money I saved (really nice hardcover book BTW; art section was worth it alone for me).

GL!

I'm confused. Why would he take $20 off the price instead of charging you $90 and just giving you a $20 gift card? Isn't giving you a gift card a much better deal for the store since you have to come back for another purchase which may be more than $20?

Whoa! That's a really really nice find... I wonder if those guys will be able to come back to work on Monday, was it the manager who rang up the purchase?... and so with tax it's about $75 total?... which is still really good.

[quote name='bojay1997']I'm confused. Why would he take $20 off the price instead of charging you $90 and just giving you a $20 gift card? Isn't giving you a gift card a much better deal for the store since you have to come back for another purchase which may be more than $20?[/QUOTE]
Because times are hard, man.

[quote name='KrazyGunner']Whoa! That's a really really nice find... I wonder if those guys will be able to come back to work on Monday, was it the manager who rang up the purchase?... and so with tax it's about $75 total?... which is still really good.[/quote]

yes it was the manager who rang me up.

and yes, $74.xx with tax.

[quote name='*Deathblade2']your TRU actually stocks collectors editions!? NONE of the three around here has collectors editions of anything[/quote]

yea they do. I was really surprised because I figured since the CE wasn't in the ad, maybe they didn't have it and the CE would actually become rare (wishful thinking).

I also saw one more sf4 ce for 360 behind the counter. And I got one of two collector's edition RE5 (360). As for Ps3, they had a bunch left of the RE5 CE.

[quote name='Skoad']Because times are hard, man.[/quote]

Also because that's how the gift card deal works. They take the price of the gift card off of the price of the game and then charge you for the gift card, so you can't return the game and keep the card.

the tru in my area also had the collector's edition

when i bought the regular the guy there actually asked me which one i wanteed.

but it looks like they stock all PS3 version didn't see any 360.

Wait Penguin, so they didn't even give you a gift card? They simply took $20 off the price of the CE version?

That's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than having to spend the full price and get a $20 giftcard in return. I'd mch rather they just take the $20 instantly off the game than give me a giftcard...

[quote name='hpv']Also because that's how the gift card deal works. They take the price of the gift card off of the price of the game and then charge you for the gift card, so you can't return the game and keep the card.[/QUOTE]

That's actually not how it works in practice. You still pay full price for the game, but if you decide to return the game without the gift card, you don't get that last $20 back unless you also return the gift card. I know it's handled that way on the register and receipt, but it's not quite that flexible. That's not the same as selling you the game for $40 and selling you a gift card for $20 since you can't opt out of "buying" the gift card. That's why this deal is somewhat surprising because the manager essentially let the OP opt out of buying the gift card and discounted an item that isn't even part of the promotion. Maybe the manager doesn't understand that TRU's margin on games is only like 25% which means he basically broke even on the deal (or even lost a little when you consider overhead, his time, the likelihood that someone else would have paid full price, etc...) he gave to the OP and frankly he would have been better off just calling the guy's bluff and allowing him to pay full price at GS.

Mentioned by CheapyD at the top of the deals page.

[quote name='CheapyD'][preview][rightimg]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4876&pictureid=5510[/rightimg]Toys R Us leads the way with week with the best deals. On Friday and Saturday only, they are offering a free $20 gift card with Resident Evil 5 (PS3/360) or if you buy an Xbox 360 Pro and Resident Evil 5, Toys R Us will give you a $50 gift card and a year of Xbox live. Also at Toys R Us, all $19.99 games are 2 for $30.

Read on for the rest of this week's Sunday ad deals.[/preview]

Toys R Us (Ad)
Thanks, life.exe
See life.exe's ad post here

Friday & Saturday Only **Cannot combine offers**

:360: Free $50 Gift Card and 12+1 XBL Subscription when you purchase both Xbox 360 Pro & Resident Evil 5

icontoysrus_r1.gif
Free $20 Gift Card when you purchase Resident Evil 5 (PS3/360)

All Week
icontoysrus_r1.gif
2 for $30 on ALL video games priced $19.99

:wii: Save $10 when you buy Wii Prince Tennis Racquet 2-pack and Wii Mario Power Tennis

:ds: Save $25 on "R" DS Disney Value Bundle:
[hiddenlist]1) Choose a DS system

2) Choose one of these games:
Club Penguin
Disney Fairies
HSM 3: Senior Year
3) Choose one of these cases:
High School Musical
Fairies​
[/hiddenlist]

[/quote]

Thanks man, this deal DID WORK FOR ME. It took a bit of talking but the manager said ok. They were actually nice about it too. This was in Traverse city,mi

:applause::applause::applause::applause:

[quote name='bojay1997']Actually, it's not. Please review the OP and you'll understand how this deal was not at all covered.[/quote]

thank you for stating this to him.

and you're welcome harperman! The people at my TRU were very nice as well, which doesn't happen often.

I stopped by TRU earlier to pick up some toys for easter and noted three things: 1) they only had the CE in stock, 2) it was marked $79.99, 3) it was included in the $20 giftcard promotion.

I didn't care for the demo and have heard mixed reviews of the game itself, so I passed for now. It'll be worth a rental down the road.

[quote name='Harperman979']Thanks man, this deal DID WORK FOR ME. It took a bit of talking but the manager said ok. They were actually nice about it too. This was in Traverse city,mi

:applause::applause::applause::applause:
pixel.gif

[/quote]

Thanks for the share, unfortunately it didn't work for me.

My experience:
Went to one BB, bought the REG edition for $59, got the $20 GC.
Went to another BB, bought the COL. edition for $69, after the checkout chick dropped $20 off in lieu of giving me a GC (they only had spanish cards there?)

I used the GC from earlier to drop it down to $49, opened up my LE and am playing it now, have my REG edition still sealed with the orig receipt which I'll return next week.

All this and I was mere moments away from ordering it from new egg for the free ship/no tax incentives.

Damn it feels good to be a CAGangsta.

---
P.S. earlier this week I pre-ordered a copy from GameCrazy.. showed up at the midnight release to get the globe, and returned that copy today for a full refund, keeping the globe. On my way home from BB, I brought my sealed REG edition in to BlockBuster, told them I forgot to grab my framed-art preorder gift, and they handed me one, NQA. now if only there were some way to get ahold of those antivirus & chainsaw USB sticks for free.

0314091906m.jpg

:3

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Penguin1084']Ok, I'm not sure if you would consider this a "deal" or not, but...
[/QUOTE]

Nope, not even close to being a deal but thanks for playing! ;)

[quote name='Zimmy']Nope, not even close to being a deal but thanks for playing! ;)[/quote]

looks like everyone else thinks it's a deal.

and I already won, therefore I'm done playing. :cool:

[quote name='AZPunisher']My experience:
Went to another BB, bought the COL. edition for $69, after the checkout chick dropped $20 off in lieu of giving me a GC (they only had spanish cards there?)

I used the GC from earlier to drop it down to $49, opened up my LE and am playing it now, have my REG edition still sealed with the orig receipt which I'll return next week.

All this and I was mere moments away from ordering it from new egg for the free ship/no tax incentives.

---
P.S. earlier this week I pre-ordered a copy from GameCrazy.. showed up at the midnight release to get the globe, and returned that copy today for a full refund, keeping the globe. On my way home from BB, I brought my sealed REG edition in to BlockBuster, told them I forgot to grab my framed-art preorder gift, and they handed me one, NQA. now if only there were some way to get ahold of those antivirus & chainsaw USB sticks for free.

0314091906m.jpg

:3[/QUOTE]

Wow, you should change your name to the King of Fraud. How exactly are you going to get Best Buy to take the game back if you don't give them the gift card as well? It's not like they don't bother to check the receipt when they take something back.

:3[/quote]

It's one thing to be a lying bastard, it's another thing to brag about it.

[quote name='n2Deepeth']What's the plan now that you spent the $20 gift card?[/quote]

I think he's gonna have to ebay the regular edition, cuz I doubt they'll allow him to return it.

I think he can still return it to BB but only get $39.99 back since BB probably discounted the game by $20 and then charged him $20 for the gift card.

Now big is the globe thing anyway? The box looks almost as big as the CE box. Is it really rare or something?

[quote name='Zimmy']Nope, not even close to being a deal but thanks for playing! ;)[/quote]

Nice try but I've seen better trolls. 1/5

---

[/quote]

LOL.... yeah to get the game you have to pay this isnt FREE A$$ Gamers... congrats on losing $20:applause:

[quote name='Harperman979']LOL.... yeah to get the game you have to pay this isnt FREE A$$ Gamers... congrats on losing $20:applause:[/quote]
"Free Ass Gamers". lol, i love that.

[quote name='Shady3011']Nice try but I've seen better trolls. 1/5[/QUOTE]

At least I'm not a thief.

Sorry, I don't classify going through magic hoops and tricking sales clerks as a "deal".

Good fine

I had the same argument with the store manager and they didn't honor the $20 game card. In a matter of fact the store manager was very rude to me. I will never purchase anything from Toy's R Us again.

for a minute i thought you got the CE for $70 and the $20 gc... it's cool and all if you got this to work, but hell of work you have to go through and only to find yourself paying $70 with tax. It's like $75 at the end anyway. Now, if you get the $20 GC with it, that's different.

Think it about people! The CE can be gotten for $80 on-line (e.g. Newegg, i got on release day, some people got it earlier too). The CE is $90 in TRU, eh, the $20 GC is really $10 saving... which killed even more with taxes, not to mention finding one is near nill. Sorry, i couldn't even find a regular edition in TRU, let along a CE (both Xbox or PS3).

[quote name='Zimmy']At least I'm not a thief.

Sorry, I don't classify going through magic hoops and tricking sales clerks as a "deal".[/quote]

You obviously have no idea what a thief is.

Also, no one is tricking the sales clerk here. It's their call to honor this or not. That's why it's labeled with a YMMV tag.

Not that it matters now that the sale is over.

[quote name='Shady3011']You obviously have no idea what a thief is.

Also, no one is tricking the sales clerk here. It's their call to honor this or not. That's why it's labeled with a YMMV tag.

Not that it matters now that the sale is over.[/quote]

Shady - 2
Zimmy - 0

No collector editions at my Toys R Us, in fact no 360 versions at all by the time I got there. I even got shot down at Best Buy after I called corporate to see if they would help a brutha out. Nothing for me now. Back to Left 4 Dead.

[quote name='sunghost']Shady - 2
Zimmy - 0[/QUOTE]

Shady - 2
Zimmy - 0
sunghost - a hundredy million

bread's done
Back