Super Mario 3D World

I tried a few levels... It's definitely not my cup of tea. The catsuit is boring IMO. I appreciate the nods to 2D Mario, but they should put this amount of effort into NSMB instead of having the B-Team work on those.

I love how Miyamoto said it was too hard to animate a dress to add Peach to NSMB. Guess he was kidding?

Oh, okay.  I hope it leads to more sales of the game and hardware!  Sometimes demos backfire.  :p  I tried ZombiU, and while I think it's pretty darn clever and neat, and a good game, I did not enjoy playing it.  Would have bought it eventually if I hadn't played and found out it's not for me.

Anyone know of any deals on this game? If not I may just have to order it off Amazon tonight. My dumb self forgot it came out friday and not next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know of any deals on this game? If not I may just have to order it off Amazon tonight. My dumb self forgot it came out friday and not next week.
If you want another Wii U or 3DS title, TRU will have B1G1 40% off Fri/Sat. I'll be grabbing it with Zelda.

I tried ZombiU, and while I think it's pretty darn clever and neat, and a good game, I did not enjoy playing it. Would have bought it eventually if I hadn't played and found out it's not for me.
Ugh. Everyone seems to get the wrong idea about ZombieU. It's a survival-horror game, you're not SUPPOSED to enjoy playing it. You're supposed to be inching along, constantly beset with overwhelming tension. The whole point of the survival-horror category of gameplay is to induce tension and fear. A properly handled survival-horror title is never fun to play. If you're having fun in a game like that, you're doing it wrong.

It's fine if its not for you. There are some people who just don't like that sort of experience. It's even understandable that they wouldn't like it. It's scary, creepy, and you constantly feel vulnerable. But that is the point, and the intention of the game's design. A lot of people just assumed that ZombieU was going to be another run-and-gun action title. They were disappointed that they weren't able to machine-gun their way through legions of the un-dead.

Ugh. Everyone seems to get the wrong idea about ZombieU. It's a survival-horror game, you're not SUPPOSED to enjoy playing it. You're supposed to be inching along, constantly beset with overwhelming tension. The whole point of the survival-horror category of gameplay is to induce tension and fear. A properly handled survival-horror title is never fun to play. If you're having fun in a game like that, you're doing it wrong.

It's fine if its not for you. There are some people who just don't like that sort of experience. It's even understandable that they wouldn't like it. It's scary, creepy, and you constantly feel vulnerable. But that is the point, and the intention of the game's design. A lot of people just assumed that ZombieU was going to be another run-and-gun action title. They were disappointed that they weren't able to machine-gun their way through legions of the un-dead.
Whoa, don't take it out on me man. I said it was a good game and just not for me. I like having fun when I play games. I create enough tension in my life without introducing more. I definitely have no desire to machine-gun through legions of undead either, though. I was attracted strongly to the premise but probably would not have wanted it for full price anyway; for $20, I wanted to give it a shot and thought I would like it despite the survival-horror elements.

Anyway, my point was more just about how demos in general aren't always encouraging to sales (even if the game is great), as it's always said, and using myself as an example.

(But just the same, I've even bought crappy games, stuff that I never would have touched, except that I played a demo of said crappy game and enjoyed it despite its crappiness.)

Just got back from the Nintendo World store where I was able to play for about 25 minutes at lunch.  It is really good - well, at least the levels in the demo were. I'm probably going to pick this up with Zelda tomorrow if TRU is really doing a B1G140%OFF.  So about $84 for both?  I'm in even though that's kind of a lot... I also don't own a WiiU yet!

The graphics are so sharp.  I mean, I know I shouldn't say this when it comes to technology but I honestly can't imagine this game looking any better.

I already have Wind Waker - I got it for $35 from YoYo a few weeks ago.  I'm going to pick up the Mario/Luigi bundle eventually.  This is all part of a big Christmas present for my kids so I figure 3 Mario games and Wind Waker will keep them plenty entertained on Christmas morning...  I'm trying to spread out the costs...

Grabbed it today. It's really fucking good. I can't say it enough but that music is absolutely incredible. This thing is The Avengers of videogames. Such a feel-good time!

*walks in*

"OH. MY. F'INGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. GOSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

*falls off low cliff*

I already have Wind Waker - I got it for $35 from YoYo a few weeks ago. I'm going to pick up the Mario/Luigi bundle eventually. This is all part of a big Christmas present for my kids so I figure 3 Mario games and Wind Waker will keep them plenty entertained on Christmas morning... I'm trying to spread out the costs...
Depending on the ages of the kids, that's going to be one memorable present.

I still remember the SMB/Duck Hunt NES bundle my parents got me and my brother for Christmas as a kid. :)

Depending on the ages of the kids, that's going to be one memorable present.

I still remember the SMB/Duck Hunt NES bundle my parents got me and my brother for Christmas as a kid. :)
Same exact scenario for me as a 5 year old, my brother and I were floored (despite my dad insistently calling it a Nine-tendo).

If your kids are old enough to remember it (yet not too old to be jaded) Javery, you are creating magic, definitely do the whole "pull out the bundle at the last minute" sort of thing when you give it to them.

Same exact scenario for me as a 5 year old, my brother and I were floored (despite my dad insistently calling it a Nine-tendo).

If your kids are old enough to remember it (yet not too old to be jaded) Javery, you are creating magic, definitely do the whole "pull out the bundle at the last minute" sort of thing when you give it to them.
I'll never forget being 9 and getting a SNES, Christmas of '91, with Super Mario World and Final Fantasy IV. Changed my life. :)

They are right in the sweet spot for this.  My son is 6-1/2 and my daughter is 9.  She will like it less but still play with her brother (debating on a Kindle for her but I need to research the kid selections).  My son is going to lose his shit.  He has probably logged 100 hours in Ocarina of Time 3DS just wandering around and not actually accomplishing anything and just recently he started playing NSMB and 3D Land and he can clear levels and stuff.  It's going to be like putting his favorite 3DS games on the big screen in 1080p.  I hope he remembers it!

Picked up Super Mario 3D World and while it's fun I am somewhat disappointed. I'd like a new Nintendo console's flagship Mario game to have a greater sense of adventure with no timer. Where's the return to the rich world that Mario 64 gave us?

I'm tired of gimmicky obstacle courses.

Picked up Super Mario 3D World and while it's fun I am somewhat disappointed. I'd like a new Nintendo console's flagship Mario game to have a greater sense of adventure with no timer. Where's the return to the rich world that Mario 64 gave us?

I'm tired of gimmicky obstacle courses.
Did you like Mario Galaxy?

I played Mario 64 recently and found the graphics scary (were amazing in 96!) and control impossible to contend with. To me, it really felt like a gimmicky obstacle course. Been having a lot of fun playing Super Mario World, though (and more than a few moments punching the couch in rage). Gotta save 3D World to play with my fiancee when she gets here for Christmas!

I did like the galaxies but even those levels all felt disconnected from one another, small and self contained. Mario 64's levels were wide open often large vistas to be freely explored and experimented in. And each one being connected through unique aspects of the castle's environment was a stroke of genius. They were all given rhyme, reason and a feeling of purpose. Connected in a way that didn't feel like they were there just to serve another platforming cliche to be checked off.

I am through the first 3 worlds and I have completed everything. All 3 stars, stamp and top of flag pole in each level. I must admit that though I am enjoying the incredible variety of level design, after playing the challenging Super Luigi U, I just feel like it is way too easy. I know that pretty much all Mario games for probably the last decade have been fairly easy, but I really hope that Nintendo uses the approach they took with the last game and add some really tough DLC cause I am going to have this one knocked out under a week. I am also finding zero challenge in the 3 stars for each level. At least in NSMB I would have a coin or two in each world that would allude me in some way. Plus there are no hidden exits and to that I say, boooo.

:shock: The  gamepad is more amazing than I expected!

Nintendo's run by aliens, I tell you, ALIENSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! :whee:

Not that this seems to be an unpopular opinion but I finally had a chance to start playing it tonight and I absolutely didn't want to put it down. This game is absolutely fantastic and pretty much neck and neck with GTA V as my favorite game of the year. I've only completed the 1st act so far but any doubts of Nintendo not having "it" anymore should be gone when you play this game.

Question for those who are, already, playing the game(don't read if you haven't started, yet).

Am I the only one who goes around blowing on everything? Whether it's to find hidden coins on the map, hidden coins or 
Block_Super_Mario_World.png
 in game, or blowing on trees! Lol @ how the fairy sounds when she feels the wind! :rofl: Also, being able to tap on the gamepad to break blocks n stuff! Amazing how so much of the environment can be interacted with!

:grouphug: :mrgreen:

Can't imagine what they'll think of next! 

So the game starts to actually present a challenge around world 6. The castle world and bowser world are probably the sweet spot for fun and challenge. Star world gets quite challenging and then worlds mushroom a and flower are where you will die plenty. You must get every single green star, stamp and gold flag to open up the final 3 levels that are crown world. They are just sick. I have done the 30 star mystery box nearly 100 times now, and even victory road is quite tough. The final game challenge is to beat every single level of the game with all characters. I consider myself hardcore when it comes to Mario, but fuck that.

So the game starts to actually present a challenge around world 6. The castle world and bowser world are probably the sweet spot for fun and challenge. Star world gets quite challenging and then worlds mushroom a and flower are where you will die plenty. You must get every single green star, stamp and gold flag to open up the final 3 levels that are crown world. They are just sick. I have done the 30 star mystery box nearly 100 times now, and even victory road is quite tough. The final game challenge is to beat every single level of the game with all characters. I consider myself hardcore when it comes to Mario, but fuck that.
This makes me want the game that much more. Dammit.

I keep trying to read nothing about the game, but people chat about it, and sites put up tons of photos and shizz.
Oooo, that's right. You're waiting to play it with your girlfriend. :p

Ya'll are gonna have a lot of fun!

Oooo, that's right. You're waiting to play it with your girlfriend. :p

Ya'll are gonna have a lot of fun!
hehe yeah I'm really excited!! I think she'll appreciate that I waited.

Nintendolife keeps posting these screen shots and articles about levels and stuff. I have to quickly stop myself if my eyes graze over something. :)

I'm in the same boat.

Really don't want to spoil the game but I keep clicking in this thread because I'm a glutton for punishment.  :booty:

Can't wait to play the game this Friday (slow Toys R Us shipping  :cold:).

Well, there goes my enthusiasm for the game. I guess I'm just going to wait for a sale.

I just don't enjoy frustrating slogs through Mario games, and having to 100 percent something to move on sounds like it would cause me to never finish the game.

So I finally have everything completed minus the ridiculous, beat every level with every character, requirement. Here are my final thoughts. The game is just gorgeous. I really hate nintendo for saddling us with a generation of Wiimotes when I could have been playing the Galaxy games and Twilight Princess in HD. This game took a bit too long to get to challenging for me, but at least when it finally did get challenging, it was pretty crazy. I found the cat suit to be a bit overly used in the game, and the reliance on it became kind irritating when you would reach a certain area and realize you had to have the cat suit in order to grab the star or stamp. Finally, Peach saved me a lot in the later levels. Her floatiness allows you to have so much more time in tricky areas and the thought of me doing some of those levels with Toad makes me want to cry. I still prefer the Mario games that feel like big open worlds like 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1, but this is still a great game and other than a few gripes, it is definitely why I will always support Nintendo.

I think the last two levels in the game are a ridiculous one-two punch in terms of difficulty.  One wears you down, while the other just mercilessly drains your lives through a sippy cup.  Even with Peach, who is probably the best suited for that final stage, took me 2 and a half hours to beat.  I can't even imagine beating it as Toad, let alone without power-ups and without getting hit (not required for 100%, but something masochists will want to do).

I'm trying to go back through every world to complete every stage with every character by using the controller trick (aka, get to the end with 1 character and just bring in the rest when I reach the flag pole).  It won't work for every stage, obviously, but it easily removes 95% of the work for the full 100% requirement for characters.

The game is still awesome though.

This game has me SO wet. It's fantastic. We got a Wii U last christmas as a gift and honestly have played  very little of it, so it's nice to actually use this thing. 

Easily one of the best Mario games of all time. A game that meshes almost everything great about Mario games into one. It's just.. really good. The unlockable character is whatever. Not a bad thing, but maybe it could have been someone else. Doesn't really effect gameplay, so it's whatever.

bread's done
Back