Super Mario 3D World

It's pretty bad, it's better to play it with a wiimote, and nunchuk
Yeah, I couldn't stand Mario 64 on DS...

Does the Wii Classic Controller plugged into a Wiimote work? I'll probably let the little lady use the gamepad and I can use my good old classic controller. Or maybe it's worth buying the Wii Controller Pro if I can find a deal. If only that was compatible with Wii games! Would be nice not to have to use the Wiimote at all for Wii VC and classic controller games.

Picked this up (pricematched Kmart at Walmart) a couple nights ago.  Outside of playing this when Nintendo toured Best Buy a few months back, I stayed in the dark on purpose.

Finished the first world, and aside from being super easy, have greatly enjoyed it.  I really want to try this multiplayer.  It would be amazing to find three others as good at it as I am in my local area.  (Sadly, most of my gamer friends aren't good at platformers.)

Picked this up (pricematched Kmart at Walmart) a couple nights ago. Outside of playing this when Nintendo toured Best Buy a few months back, I stayed in the dark on purpose.

Finished the first world, and aside from being super easy, have greatly enjoyed it. I really want to try this multiplayer. It would be amazing to find three others as good at it as I am in my local area. (Sadly, most of my gamer friends aren't good at platformers.)
Overall it's still a pretty easy game....until you get to the more later and then un-lockable levels. Again, it's really subjective on what's "hard". Maybe it's hard because I'm playing with 1 other person and we keep running into each other, or since he's Toad and I'm Peach he keeps running way too far ahead of my fat slow ass and causes me to die a BILLION times. :bomb:

So, after hearing all of the universal praise for this game and being a huge Mario fan(as well as really enjoying 3D Land), I was super excited for the game.

Did I miss something?

This is still a very good game, but not a 10/10 or even a 9/10 in my book. Don't get me wrong, there's some really brilliant level design here, but something about this game just doesn't do it for me... 3D Land was a breath of fresh air, this just felt like an extension of that with new levels - which felt a little stale to me(those Plessie levels were badass though). I'm a bit surprised that I feel this way after loving 3D Land so much.

Also, can't we get rid of these timers yet? Or at least have a mode where they aren't necessary? It's such a archaic and lazy mechanic in games... I want to explore these levels, but sometimes I can't check everything on the first run due to time running low. It's aggravating more than anything else.

I hope they go back to the drawing board soon and come back with something new. With all of these sequels lately I'm worried that the 2/3/World/64/Sunshine/Galaxy progression is going to be a thing of the past. Mario just isn't what he once was.

And please, for the love of God, don't give us Galaxy 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just rage quitted this game tonight and don't know if I will ever go back to it. Double Mario is so broken control wise. Just because I can't call back my double mario next to me so it is falling off the ledge every time. I spent over 30 minutes trying to get a star and decided it just isn't worth it.

I tried the demo again alone and I enjoyed it much more. I dislike the cat power-up, but I really like the boomerang suit. Playing 1-2 player is much better than 4 strangers.

Crown World was the only real challenge. Even then, it's only challenging without power-ups.

Loved the game though. I don't like that to unlock the last stamps you have to play through so many damn times. This will likely be the first Mario game in recent memory where I don't get five glittering stars on my profile. :/

As far as difficulty this game doesn't get challenging until the final couple of worlds.

It's a fun game don't get me wrong, I just hope they make another 3D Mario (64, Sunshine) this generation to scratch my itch (favorite type of mario game). 

My best description of the game is it's 3D Land with bigger levels, HD graphics, multiplayer, and an interactive free roam overworld map. 

I'm through 99.9% of the game with my 4 year old daughter (Challenge Road with every character is the only obstacle left at this point). I have to say that she loved playing it, even though on many levels, she'd lose every single life and leave me with one. She'd play on the gamepad and I'd use the Pro controller. 

It didn't seem like a chore though as even though we'd have to repeat many levels, she still had a blast. Great game for the family. 

If you have multiple controllers, you can set characters up in the ball, run to the end of the level, and line them up to throw them on the flagpole. Then, jump on yourself. I've decided to do this to complete the game for everyone.

http://youtu.be/SC3y-GY8JW0

If you have multiple controllers, you can set characters up in the ball, run to the end of the level, and line them up to throw them on the flagpole. Then, jump on yourself. I've decided to do this to complete the game for everyone.
That's pretty smart, don't know why I didn't think of this myself.

Sold this on ebay and just got a message from the buyer:
"I bought this for my grandson who has a Wii. I wasn't aware that there is a Wiiu which is what this game is for. Can I exchange it for the same game in Wii format, or get a refund. I appreciate your help in this matter."
... Honestly I don't know if I should be mad at Nintendo for their stupid decision on naming the console... Or this idiot that buys games not knowing what he's buying as a gift... So frustrating.... And somehow it goes back on me and it's my fault? Ughhh

Yeah, that's a huge bummer.

Every 30 things or so that I sell (so really infrequently), I get someone who wants a refund on a NEW, sealed game, and says that the disc doesn't work.  I've never once had a defective disc myself.  I always tell them they can send it back to me at their expense but that I'll only refund them if I test it and it really doesn't work.  I know I should be friendlier, but I'm not freaking Amazon.com, and when I get a game back that was sold new and sealed, it's obviously no longer new and sealed!

I know that's different.  But both are annoying.  

I used to sell more stuff - just stuff laying around that I no longer used - on eBay but I shy away from it now. The reason: People invariably ask the dumb questions. When I do put something up I make it clear right at the top (all upper case, bold, and in red):

- I will not ship outside of the US

- This item is used but fully functional

- I will not stop the auction to sell it to you on the side

When I list it I list it as 'no refunds' but if they did get it and it really was defective then I have no problem refunding it to them.

The above bid red bold notes help cut down on the stupidity but I'll still get dumb questions like they have no idea what they're buying or how anything works. I'm selling my used stuff on eBay, I'm not here to educate you on how everything works.

I had one woman win an auction for a Disney figurine for $1. It was worth $250-300. I always just list the items starting at $1 and let it roll and whomever gets it, gets it. She wrote me a detailed message asking me if it was broken or damaged in any way. I had listed it as not broken or damaged. Then she was really worried about it arriving and being broken. I told her I had all of the original packaging and it should be fine. This was over a damned $1 + shipping ($5-6). She won but instead of thinking, "Holy crap, I got something that's worth $250-300 for $1! Even if it's chipped I'm only out a dollar!" She was hemming and hawing over it.

I used to sell more stuff - just stuff laying around that I no longer used - on eBay but I shy away from it now. The reason: People invariably ask the dumb questions. When I do put something up I make it clear right at the top (all upper case, bold, and in red):

- I will not ship outside of the US
- This item is used but fully functional
- I will not stop the auction to sell it to you on the side

When I list it I list it as 'no refunds' but if they did get it and it really was defective then I have no problem refunding it to them.

The above bid red bold notes help cut down on the stupidity but I'll still get dumb questions like they have no idea what they're buying or how anything works. I'm selling my used stuff on eBay, I'm not here to educate you on how everything works.

I had one woman win an auction for a Disney figurine for $1. It was worth $250-300. I always just list the items starting at $1 and let it roll and whomever gets it, gets it. She wrote me a detailed message asking me if it was broken or damaged in any way. I had listed it as not broken or damaged. Then she was really worried about it arriving and being broken. I told her I had all of the original packaging and it should be fine. This was over a damned $1 + shipping ($5-6). She won but instead of thinking, "Holy crap, I got something that's worth $250-300 for $1! Even if it's chipped I'm only out a dollar!" She was hemming and hawing over it.
In this age of internet and knowledge at your fingertips, it seriously amazes me at how dumb the average joe still is. I've had the same dumbass questions as you... And I've learned even if you put stipulations like that in bold and in red, people STILL ask just to make "sure" lol

I used to sell quite a lot on ebay for about 2 years(and infrequently before that), but stopped altogether a few years back just because of how easy it is for a seller to get fleeced there now.  Thankfully it never happened to me(which is insane as I'd sold over 200 items altogether), but all the horror stories really turned me off.

I'd rather take a hit on some cash and sell things to a friend or CAG than risk getting ripped off by some jackass on ebay.

So, um, yeah...  Mario, guys!

Yuck.  Really makes me wonder sometimes if it's worth the effort.

A lot of times when people write to me about something being "defective," I write them back an extremely detailed response.  Often that's the end of it.  I assume they are just too lazy to pursue it any further.  Or maybe they think, "Gee, I don't want to screw over this guy who is just trying to sell his hoarded items" or realize it's their crappy old hardware causing the issue and not the BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED GAME I sold them for a pittance.

Oh yeah, and sometimes I have to ship outside of the U.S. to military folk.  This is a major pain and often the addresses don't work and it comes back to me.  I always think, well, this is for a military person who is probably sad and lonely, and it is worth it on the off-chance it actually gets to them and cheers them up.  But it's still a pain.  :)

Haha this is a great venting session.

I sell my games on the Amazon marketplace after beating.

I've had pretty good luck there.  Hardly every any communication from the buyers, and only had one issue with a game not showing up (despite showing as delivered).  I just refunded that one as it was a cheap game, and I have had issues with package theft a couple places where I've lived (including my new place).

Finally started this up last night. I played through the first world, replaying levels to get all the stars, stamps and top of goal post. Just using Mario for now.

I love it so far. Looks great, has a ton of charm and is just a ton of fun to play.

Finally started this up last night. I played through the first world, replaying levels to get all the stars, stamps and top of goal post. Just using Mario for now.

I love it so far. Looks great, has a ton of charm and is just a ton of fun to play.
Glad you are enjoying it. Word of advice if you didn't know, in order to get all of the stamps you need to have all the characters touch the flag pole, whether it is all together or separate playthroughs. I played the whole game almost exclusively with Mario and didn't realize that until the end.

bread's done
Back