Super Mario All-Stars (Wii) - 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got this sent to me from Amazon...

Hello,

We wanted to let you know that there is an unexpected delay with your video game order you placed on December 07 2010. Unfortunately, we are unable to ship the product(s) as soon as we expected and need to provide you with a new estimate of when they may be delivered:

"Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition"
Estimated arrival date: December 17 2010

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Actually I'm pretty sure they just pick the final score out of their ass. There is no weighted avg. used[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have seen many games with mostly 7's and one 5 then overall 5.

Makes no sense to me.

Bought one at Best Buy last night. About 6 or 7 left on the shelf. Found the one with the least dents, but the printing on the sides of the boxes isn't perfect and there's a piece of the bottom missing that the seal took with it but I'm not quite as OCD as most about that kind of thing.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I bought 1 at FYE yesterday. It ended up being $26.99 with the 10% discount.

This store received 5 copies in total. Guess how many copies they had left.

You're correct, 5 copies.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying they lied to you about how many copies they received or did they have 4 copies left after you bought 1?

[quote name='joshnorm']I agree. I have seen many games with mostly 7's and one 5 then overall 5.

Makes no sense to me.[/QUOTE]

That just gives them a reason to say that video game reviewing is an art and not a science. :roll:

About 20 copies at my local target. Just gotta look on the bottom shelf along with the rest of the "bulk" items.

[quote name='Dwarf41']For anyone who pre-order from gamestop.com, has your order shipped yet?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Mine shipped over the weekend and I received it today, actually. I ordered late, too -- only ordered from GS because Amazon had stopped accepting pre-orders by the time I got around to it.

[quote name='bojay1997']I'm in the same situation with that warehouse. Last week Amazon actually had the nerve to send me an e-mail telling me I was returning too many items and asking what they could do to decrease my return rate. [/QUOTE]

does amazon actually do this? i was worried that I might get banned be returning too much (only because amazon had a lower price on bf, and the csr refused to adjust prices and told me to reorder) like that guy who returned $8k worth of camera equipment a few years back. i try to return as little as possible and sometimes rather keep or ebay off things if the difference is very small or not worth the hassle.

however, that camera guy said he spends $20k a year on amazon and returned $8k in camera equipment, which is still about 33% of his annual spending even though it was just 1 expensive camera and lenses. how much can you return before amazon red flags you? what is the ratio of your returns and annual spending amount? above 20%?

I ran out and bought a copy at Target this afternoon (Collierville, TN location has 20+) because my status had not changed from "Not Yet Shipped" and I'll be damned if when I get back to the office it's "Shipping Soon" with no option to cancel.

With all the chatter going on here and throughout the web, I thought Amazon had oversold and wouldn't have enough to cover until after the holidays. Apparently I was wrong in my assumption. Heh.

[quote name='frpilot']does amazon actually do this? i was worried that I might get banned be returning too much (only because amazon had a lower price on bf, and the csr refused to adjust prices and told me to reorder) like that guy who returned $8k worth of camera equipment a few years back. i try to return as little as possible and sometimes rather keep or ebay off things if the difference is very small or not worth the hassle.

however, that camera guy said he spends $20k a year on amazon and returned $8k in camera equipment, which is still about 33% of his annual spending even though it was just 1 expensive camera and lenses. how much can you return before amazon red flags you? what is the ratio of your returns and annual spending amount? above 20%?[/QUOTE]

I did not get banned for excessive returns, just warned, but I know several people on here have been banned. In the past few months, my return rate has probably been about a third of all packages received. I understand where Amazon is coming from in a way, but I spend literally thousands of dollars with them a year and my expectation is that the items I receive from them will be in the same shape as the ones I buy in a store. I really fail to see how their inability to competently pack items is my fault. In any event, I had to return literally 100% of the packages I received last week as I got a Tron Collector's Edition that had a massive 2" dent in the box and they sent me several games where the wrap was actually broken open which means I can't give them as gifts. So, I ended up sending six packages back and asking for replacements. I'm sure at some point I will get banned, but I will just not accept bad quality products when I am paying full price.

[quote name='ssjmichael']The IGN avg. of the individual scores is an 8.0 FYI.

Presentation - 5
Graphics - 8
Sound - 10
Gameplay - 10
Lasting Appeal = 7

An 8/10 doesn't sound too bad to me, not that I really give a shit what IGN has to say 99% of the time.[/QUOTE]

8 for graphics is a joke. It is a direct port of a game 2 generations ago. In other words, they are saying this has better graphics than Medal of Honor, 7 in graphics (not defending the game at all but MoH graphically blows this out of the water). IGN proves time and time again not to be trusted with reviews.

After watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look, I thought to myself what a rushed product. Totally not worth it to me, especially since I still own my NES carts of 3 of the games (i.e. all but Lost Levels).

On another note, the Best Buy nearest to me had over 20 copies of it today at 1pm.

[quote name='bojay1997']I did not get banned for excessive returns, just warned, but I know several people on here have been banned. In the past few months, my return rate has probably been about a third of all packages received. I understand where Amazon is coming from in a way, but I spend literally thousands of dollars with them a year and my expectation is that the items I receive from them will be in the same shape as the ones I buy in a store. I really fail to see how their inability to competently pack items is my fault. In any event, I had to return literally 100% of the packages I received last week as I got a Tron Collector's Edition that had a massive 2" dent in the box and they sent me several games where the wrap was actually broken open which means I can't give them as gifts. So, I ended up sending six packages back and asking for replacements. I'm sure at some point I will get banned, but I will just not accept bad quality products when I am paying full price.[/QUOTE]I'm in the same situation with Amazon and crappy packaging, though I think they have my issues under control after 6-9 months of complaints and conversation with their Executive Customer Relations group.

I can see them possibly pitching a fit if you're returning 33% of your items for refund, though if you're doing that many returns due to damage in shipment or due to packaging issues, that's a completely different matter.

[quote name='frpilot']does amazon actually do this? i was worried that I might get banned be returning too much (only because amazon had a lower price on bf, and the csr refused to adjust prices and told me to reorder) like that guy who returned $8k worth of camera equipment a few years back. i try to return as little as possible and sometimes rather keep or ebay off things if the difference is very small or not worth the hassle.

however, that camera guy said he spends $20k a year on amazon and returned $8k in camera equipment, which is still about 33% of his annual spending even though it was just 1 expensive camera and lenses. how much can you return before amazon red flags you? what is the ratio of your returns and annual spending amount? above 20%?[/QUOTE]

My account was banned... Usually my returns were pretty low maybe 10 percent of stuff, but one month literally everything came damaged... 60 percent exchanges and they banned me. I had 3 other amazon accounts and they all still work so it's whatever. This was 3 months ago.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm in the same situation with Amazon and crappy packaging, though I think they have my issues under control after 6-9 months of complaints and conversation with their Executive Customer Relations group.

I can see them possibly pitching a fit if you're returning 33% of your items for refund, though if you're doing that many returns due to damage in shipment or due to packaging issues, that's a completely different matter.[/QUOTE]

No, all of my returns are damaged items which I ask to have replaced. Sometimes I am forced to take a refund as they won't replace an item a second time. I thought paying for Prime would help, but even the shorter transit time can't take care of their poor packaging and lack of care when handling items.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']My account was banned... Usually my returns were pretty low maybe 10 percent of stuff, but one month literally everything came damaged... 60 percent exchanges and they banned me. I had 3 other amazon accounts and they all still work so it's whatever. This was 3 months ago.[/QUOTE]

That's kinda scary that Amazon has the potential to ban for their own mistakes.

[quote name='Trance Addix']That's kinda scary that Amazon has the potential to ban for their own mistakes.[/QUOTE]

Well at some point, even if it's the fault of your UPS guy or postman, they're taking a loss on your packages because they constantly have to pay shipping both ways. Easier to just say "thanks but no thanks, mr customer."

I'm hoping I can still find a copy of this game at K-Mart so I can return the one I got at Gamestop and get the $10 gaming coupon. The Gamestop guy was a douche anyway. He kept trying to sell me the $3 replacement fee when there were five people behind me in line. Then, he told me to come back to the store and tell him how good the game is. I replied, "It's Super Mario Bros. 1-3, idiot!" He looked puzzled. X(

Will "Return to Sender" Amazon packages be proceessed correctly in terms of getting a refund? I ordered from Amazon but am wanting to get it at TRU instead.

[quote name='josekortez']I'm hoping I can still find a copy of this game at K-Mart so I can return the one I got at Gamestop and get the $10 gaming coupon. The Gamestop guy was a douche anyway. He kept trying to sell me the $3 replacement fee when there were five people behind me in line. Then, he told me to come back to the store and tell him how good the game is. I replied, "It's Super Mario Bros. 1-3, idiot!" He looked puzzled. X([/QUOTE]

I HATE when they do that. I know their job is to push as much product as they can but how about not pissing off the other 5 people in line?

[quote name='bojay1997']No, all of my returns are damaged items which I ask to have replaced. Sometimes I am forced to take a refund as they won't replace an item a second time. I thought paying for Prime would help, but even the shorter transit time can't take care of their poor packaging and lack of care when handling items.[/QUOTE]I've had them try two return shipments and eventually they gave up for one item (Invasion Of The Body Snatchers BD/DVD combo) when it kept getting damaged in shipment. Eventually I reordered it as part of a larger order, though they ended up giving me a promotional certificate for my issue and covering an increase in price.

I've found that single orders for games, movies and music are the ones that tend to get handled the least well, which is why I try to bundle multiple items together to force them to use a box and package it properly. Most of the time it works.

[quote name='Trance Addix']That's kinda scary that Amazon has the potential to ban for their own mistakes.[/QUOTE]I agree, especially when it's the same mistake over and over again. I spent a lot of time trying to get their Executive Customer Relations to figure this out, coupled with Packaging Feedback reports.

[quote name='confoosious']Well at some point, even if it's the fault of your UPS guy or postman, they're taking a loss on your packages because they constantly have to pay shipping both ways. Easier to just say "thanks but no thanks, mr customer."[/QUOTE]I would agree with that to a point, though if it's the same screw-up over and over again, their processes needed to be looked at and fixed, not sticking it to the customer.

[quote name='kell']Will "Return to Sender" Amazon packages be proceessed correctly in terms of getting a refund? I ordered from Amazon but am wanting to get it at TRU instead.[/QUOTE]Yes, it should. Refuse delivery on it if it's a UPS package or mark it as "Return To Sender" if it's a USPS package.

[quote name='shrike4242']I've found that single orders for games, movies and music are the ones that tend to get handled the least well, which is why I try to bundle multiple items together to force them to use a box and package it properly. Most of the time it works. [/QUOTE]

Really? Every time I order a game it comes in the manilla bag with bubble wrapping on the inside with the game in perfect condition. Some times I've even received them in boxes with those puffy bags of air. :lol:

I've honestly never had a problem with Amazon shipping, and I buy a lot from them.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Really? Every time I order a game it comes in the manilla bag with bubble wrapping on the inside with the game in perfect condition. Some times I've even received them in boxes with those puffy bags of air. :lol:

I've honestly never had a problem with Amazon shipping, and I buy a lot from them.[/QUOTE]

I've probably had 2-3 of my packages with damage this year. And... this is insane but I think imight have ordered 200+ things from amazon this year. I'm afraid to tally up my purchases.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Really? Every time I order a game it comes in the manilla bag with bubble wrapping on the inside with the game in perfect condition. Some times I've even received them in boxes with those puffy bags of air. :lol:

I've honestly never had a problem with Amazon shipping, and I buy a lot from them.[/QUOTE]Oh, I've had plenty of issues with Amazon shipping, mainly from them using boxes or bubble mailers far too large for the item. As 90% of my purchases from Amazon are games or movies, there's plenty of chances for discs to come loose in shipment and get scratched up.

Every time I have an issue with an item damaged in shipment, it gets packaging feedback done on it, and I don't mince words with what the issues are.

[quote name='confoosious']I've probably had 2-3 of my packages with damage this year. And... this is insane but I think imight have ordered 200+ things from amazon this year. I'm afraid to tally up my purchases.[/QUOTE]I'm easily past that point, both on the number and on figuring what I spent. For me, Amazon has gotten better with the packaging, though there was a bad stretch at the beginning of the year that they screwed up 33% - 50% of my orders due to bad packaging.

In my experience limited edition games usually receive crappy packaging; floating around in oversized cardboard boxes with very little padding.

Standard edition games come in bubble mailers or those really slim cardboard fixtures that wrap around.

Majority of my purchases are standard editions so it's not that big a deal, but my ME2 C.E., Deathsmiles L.E., Alan Wake L.E, Super Mario All-Stars all came with either bent corners or discoloration from sliding around and rubbing against the cardboard box. Have had the odd few standard editions end up with the shrink wrap torn and plastic sleeve damaged somehow.

Hardly buy L.E.s/C.E.s new so have little to complain about, but it is pretty annoying when it does happen.

I received my game yesterday and it was pretty annoying the way it was sealed with the stickers on top and bottom. I ended tearing a little bit while removing the top sticker but it was on the back, so not much of an issue.

[quote name='shrike4242']I would agree with that to a point, though if it's the same screw-up over and over again, their processes needed to be looked at and fixed, not sticking it to the customer.[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, Amazon may look at it as -- 99.75% of their customer base never or rarely complains about their packaging. 0.25% complains and sends items back regularly (pulling percentages out of my ass here, but you get the idea). Which is more cost effective? Fixing a problem that only affects (or at least only bothers) 0.25% of the customer base, or telling that 0.25% of the customer base to shop elsewhere? At what point is the percentage of complainers just an anomaly, people who complain too much for their own good? (I'm not saying that about anyone here, just asking the questions that Amazon may be asking.)

I mean really, I don't generally have issues with Amazon's packaging (I can't even remember the last time I received a damaged item from them, and it has never been bad enough that I've needed to return anything), but if I did have the experiences that some people here are talking about, having to return package after package, after a point I'd decide on my own that I probably shouldn't bother to order from Amazon anymore. I wouldn't need them to tell me.

[quote name='Trance Addix']That's kinda scary that Amazon has the potential to ban for their own mistakes.[/QUOTE]

Yep, and I had 2 returns they wouldn't let me send back because they wouldn't let me access my account to print the labels out. I refuse to pay for the items. They weren't even that expensive, Grindhouse (Bluray case came with a huge crack), Scott Pilgrim Volume 3 (The cover was ripped)....

Did they even send you a nasty email saying your are banned? or was it when you couldn't login then you found out?

I remember around this time last year people reported a great ban from amazon for excessive returns or something. People bought up shit, couldn't resell and then return them.

OOS on amazon.
Got my preorder cancelled (it was from when they started taking preorders again)

Guess they couldnt fill all of them.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']OOS on amazon.
Got my preorder cancelled (it was from when they started taking preorders again)

Guess they couldnt fill all of them.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Did they give you anything for your trouble?

[quote name='arcane93']On the other hand, Amazon may look at it as -- 99.75% of their customer base never or rarely complains about their packaging. 0.25% complains and sends items back regularly (pulling percentages out of my ass here, but you get the idea). Which is more cost effective? Fixing a problem that only affects (or at least only bothers) 0.25% of the customer base, or telling that 0.25% of the customer base to shop elsewhere? At what point is the percentage of complainers just an anomaly, people who complain too much for their own good? (I'm not saying that about anyone here, just asking the questions that Amazon may be asking.)

I mean really, I don't generally have issues with Amazon's packaging (I can't even remember the last time I received a damaged item from them, and it has never been bad enough that I've needed to return anything), but if I did have the experiences that some people here are talking about, having to return package after package, after a point I'd decide on my own that I probably shouldn't bother to order from Amazon anymore. I wouldn't need them to tell me.[/QUOTE]I can see it from their perspective, though I'm probably not their average customer. Regardless, the issues I've had to deal with packaging are simple follow-through issues that are likely due to their trying to trim their bottom line on packaging expenses. When they put a DVD-sized item into a bubble mailer or cardboard box large enough for a thick hardbound game guide without any paper packing, airpack or the like, chances are reasonable that something will get damaged in shipment. Had they used a much smaller box, it wouldn't have been an issue. That was I kept telling them, and I've dealt with them enough to know what size boxes are appropriate for the items I'm receiving.

As I said, I had a bad time with them for a while, though for me, they seem to have resolved their packaging issues for the last 6-9 months. And even with the issues I've had with items damaged in shipment, they still end up being the cheapest price around for the items I'm buying and their CS is top-notch for resolving issues. Plus, not all the issues are on their end, though as the retailer, they're the ones who have to deal with it. I've had discs get damaged in shipment when they were properly packaged and that happened either in the shipment to them or in the assembly process where the disc wasn't secured to the spindle correctly. Eco-pack cases are another part of these problems as well, since there's plenty of missing plastic that would work better to be more secure.

If they kept having issues without making a reasonable attempt to fix it, I'd probably stop shopping there. Though, as they do fix the issue quickly and reasonably efficiently, I've been shopping items there for work and brought them additional business they wouldn't have gotten before.

Nobody is perfect in shipping items, though Amazon does work through their issues better than numerous other vendors I've dealt with previously.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']OOS on amazon.

Guess they couldnt fill all of them.[/QUOTE]

Was it 'Preparing to ship, cant cancel it' status or 'Shipping Soon'?

[quote name='confoosious']I've probably had 2-3 of my packages with damage this year. And... this is insane but I think imight have ordered 200+ things from amazon this year. I'm afraid to tally up my purchases.[/QUOTE]

That's going to be crazy when you have to file your taxes.

[quote name='Diebythesword']Was it 'Preparing to ship, cant cancel it' status or 'Shipping Soon'?[/QUOTE]

No it never entered any shipping phase at all.
So im guessing if yours is at least" preparing "or "shipping soon" you might be ok still.

I was probably really late preordering. But still. It was a preorder which they couldnt fill i guess.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']My account was banned... Usually my returns were pretty low maybe 10 percent of stuff, but one month literally everything came damaged... 60 percent exchanges and they banned me. I had 3 other amazon accounts and they all still work so it's whatever. This was 3 months ago.[/QUOTE]

well good to hear input from you guys.. i usually never return things to amazon, and probably about at less than 20% during these last few bf weeks, but i did returned a ps3 bf bundle due to all that uc2 goty fiasco and ordered the ps3 family bundle instead which is what kind of bothers me as it is a $300 return.. might be a wash since i ordered another $300 ps3 bundle.

[quote name='nekromantix']
Majority of my purchases are standard editions so it's not that big a deal, but my ME2 C.E., Deathsmiles L.E., Alan Wake L.E, Super Mario All-Stars all came with either bent corners or discoloration from sliding around and rubbing against the cardboard box.

Hardly buy L.E.s/C.E.s new so have little to complain about, but it is pretty annoying when it does happen.[/QUOTE]

now that you mention it, i did notice that my gt5 ce did have a dent on the top that is bothering me. i didn't notice it until i opened everything though. thinking of selling the contents of that CE and getting another one.

I went out and bought it at Kmart and got the 10 dollar card for a future gaming purchase.

I tried canceling my amazon order already but it entered the shipping soon phase, so they said they are going to contact the shipping carrier and have them ship it back to them and I'll get a refund.

[quote name='DefeatUForever']I tried canceling my amazon order already but it entered the shipping soon phase, yet the delivery date is dec 17th. 10 days isn't soon in my book. I just want the damn thing canceled.[/QUOTE]

Today's the 14th. If the estimated delivery date is the 17th, where are you getting 10 days from?

the costco by my house has so many of these. they didnt even bother putting out the fake boxes to prevent theft, simply stacked bout 20 of them with the rest of the wii games.

Just went to my Best Buy and picked up my preorder (so now I have two copies). They started with 80 copies (it might've been 84), and as of today, had 12 left for reserves and 1 left for regular purchase.

For those wondering about getting a scuffed up or beat-up copy, know that I pulled mine straight from a fresh case and every single one had some blemishes. I picked the best one, which is close to perfect (and surprisingly wasn't in the middle), but it still has a hint of wear on one edge. Shrinkwrap on these things would've made all the difference.

[quote name='lordopus99']8 for graphics is a joke. It is a direct port of a game 2 generations ago. In other words, they are saying this has better graphics than Medal of Honor, 7 in graphics (not defending the game at all but MoH graphically blows this out of the water). IGN proves time and time again not to be trusted with reviews.

After watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look, I thought to myself what a rushed product. Totally not worth it to me, especially since I still own my NES carts of 3 of the games (i.e. all but Lost Levels).

On another note, the Best Buy nearest to me had over 20 copies of it today at 1pm.[/QUOTE]

I am not at all saying that IGN is a credible source for anything, but generally speaking, most review outlets wouldn't be dumb enough to stack Super Mario All-Stars against a modern day release. Should the game receive a 1 in "graphics" (such a painful sentence to utter) based on your games criticism criteria?

To quote Roger Ebert (on his philosophy of film criticism):

"When you ask a friend if Hellboy is any good, you're not asking if it's any good compared to Mystic River, you're asking if it's any good compared to The Punisher. And my answer would be, on a scale of one to four, if Superman is four, then Hellboy is three and The Punisher is two. In the same way, if American Beauty gets four stars, then The United States of Leland clocks in at about two."

That said, I received my copy today and it's a nice thing to have, I guess.

[quote name='allyourblood']For those wondering about getting a scuffed up or beat-up copy, know that I pulled mine straight from a fresh case and every single one had some blemishes. I picked the best one, which is close to perfect (and surprisingly wasn't in the middle), but it still has a hint of wear on one edge. Shrinkwrap on these things would've made all the difference.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think most of the blemishes are from the printing process, and shrinkwrap probably wouldn't have helped.

Well... UPS decided to fuck up both my brother's order and my order (including another order for Ace Attorney Investigations).

Both of our copies were delivered to the wrong house today. Now I have out and ask around in hopes that whoever did get it is honest enough to return the games but with $70 of free games, I doubt it. Already called UPS but they're not taking any responsibility.

Just because there is only one shipment/production run of ___, doesnt mean its going to get rare. The question is, was that singular shipment enough to meet the lifetime demand of the product. Atlus has very small, single runs and many of their recent games will never be valuable.

[quote name='joshnorm']I agree. I have seen many games with mostly 7's and one 5 then overall 5.

Makes no sense to me.[/QUOTE]

It makes perfect sense to me. A good example are indie games like Super Meat Boy. It can't compete with big name publishers in it's presentation values (graphics/sound/music) and doesn't emphasize story or dialogue. But it is great for what it aims to be, which is fantastic 2d platforming.

If everything was an average, it would be impossible to give an indie game a 9 or 10.

both my amazon orders came 1 day apart even though they were both scheduled to be on the same day. Everything was packaged fine, so no complaints on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back