Super Mario All-Stars (Wii) - 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='kak23']That was fast. I managed to pre-order with Amazon, go back to the page, and Amazon is sold out again.[/QUOTE]

And the reselling hoarders doubled their prices, like clockwork. :roll:

Heads up, for those who think you'll be walking into a store on Sunday and picking up a copy - we got 9 copies in. That's it.

[quote name='UncleBob']Heads up, for those who think you'll be walking into a store on Sunday and picking up a copy - we got 9 copies in. That's it.[/QUOTE]

Who is we?

I got one pre-ordered at Gamestop but I had $25 in credits at Amazon so this is much better for me if Amazon pulls a whole this is backordered when Sunday rolls around I'll just get it from Gamestop an cancel the Amazon so this is win win for me.

[quote name='SteveGo']Who is we?[/QUOTE]

Sorry - a Walmart store. In comparison, we got in something like 24 copies of the new TRON game for Wii.

[quote name='leopaw']Seems like Amazon is only allowing "1" order per account.[/QUOTE]
Really? I ordered one when it first was listed on the website in october and I ordered 1 just a couple of hours ago. Both orders are still there and they both have a delivery estimate of DEC 15 with my prime shipping.

I'm not going to order from Amazon. I'm going to go to walmart at midnight. I don't want to risk this being a pre-order that ends up arriving in March. And i'm not paying for prime or any other super-fast shipping.

When GameStop pulls preorders both online and in store, that tells me there arent a ton to go around. GameStop jizzes on every preorder they get. No way they stop unless they absolutley have no other choice.

[quote name='Drclaw411']I'm not going to order from Amazon. I'm going to go to walmart at midnight. I don't want to risk this being a pre-order that ends up arriving in March. And i'm not paying for prime or any other super-fast shipping.

When GameStop pulls preorders both online and in store, that tells me there arent a ton to go around. GameStop jizzes on every preorder they get. No way they stop unless they absolutley have no other choice.[/QUOTE]

This is the same company that often sells more pre-order than product received, then sells the product to people who didn't have pre-orders?

[quote name='UncleBob']This is the same company that often sells more pre-order than product received, then sells the product to people who didn't have pre-orders?[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what i'm talking about. GameStop pulls this shit all the time. They are infamous for taking too many preorders and/or selling preordered copies to walk-ins.

If even THEY are done accepting preorders...idk that to me says this game is going to much more limited than we're used to.

[quote name='UncleBob']Sorry - a Walmart store. In comparison, we got in something like 24 copies of the new TRON game for Wii.[/QUOTE]

You do realize that there are over 4,300 Walmart stores in the US, right? That would be 36,000 copies just for you. It's also a niche product that isn't necessarily going to appeal to kids or teens, but the target market is parents and those of us old enough to remember and appreciate the original games. Given the target market, nine copies is not exactly a bad allocation nor is it a sign of future rarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bojay1997']You do realize that there are over 4,300 Walmart stores in the US, right? That would be 36,000 copies just for you. It's also a niche product that isn't necessarily going to appeal to kids or teens, but the target market is parents and those of us old enough to remember and appreciate the original games. Given the target market, nine copies is not exactly a bad allocation nor is it a sign of future rarity.[/QUOTE]

Actually, a bit over 3,500 stores.
But, regardless, put that in comparison with, again, the TRON game, which we got about 24 copies of. Or the New Super Mario Bros. Wii game, which we got 70-some copies of.

And if you think this is a niche product with limited appeal, you're crazy.

I'm not saying this will be impossible to get or anything - but I do think initial supplies might be a bit limited.

[quote name='axaznguitony26']sadly I bought all the games back in 2007 ;([/QUOTE]

most of us bought them long before 2007. and most of us will be buying them again in 2010.

[quote name='UncleBob']Actually, a bit over 3,500 stores.
But, regardless, put that in comparison with, again, the TRON game, which we got about 24 copies of. Or the New Super Mario Bros. Wii game, which we got 70-some copies of.

And if you think this is a niche product with limited appeal, you're crazy.

I'm not saying this will be impossible to get or anything - but I do think initial supplies might be a bit limited.[/QUOTE]

Of course it's a niche product. How many 10 year old kids have any concept of Mario's history and would want a booklet and a CD with some old sound effects and music? I know my kids only have an interest in the newer Mario games and believe me, I have all the original systems and games and have tried to get them excited about playing them many times and they just think the graphics are lame and the gameplay is too limited. Assuming your 600 Sam's Club locations aren't getting any and each Walmart store is only getting nine (I'm guessing many stores will get more), that's still over 30,000 copies just for Walmart. That doesn't include the other 10,000 major retail stores in the United States which will also be getting copies. Bottom line, there will be hundreds of thousands of copies available and there is no need for people to get crazy and panic about pre-orders.

I tried to place an order for 15 mario all-stars on gamestop, but gs canceled my order. Ordered 3 on amazon. they lmited u to just 3.

[quote name='bojay1997']Of course it's a niche product. How many 10 year old kids have any concept of Mario's history and would want a booklet and a CD with some old sound effects and music? I know my kids only have an interest in the newer Mario games and believe me, I have all the original systems and games and have tried to get them excited about playing them many times and they just think the graphics are lame and the gameplay is too limited. Assuming your 600 Sam's Club locations aren't getting any and each Walmart store is only getting nine (I'm guessing many stores will get more), that's still over 30,000 copies just for Walmart. That doesn't include the other 10,000 major retail stores in the United States which will also be getting copies. Bottom line, there will be hundreds of thousands of copies available and there is no need for people to get crazy and panic about pre-orders.[/QUOTE]

Quick. made-up reference numbers...

When GameStop wanted to buy EBGames, part of their legal defense was that they'd only control less than 10% of the Video Game Market, in contrast with Walmart who, at the time, controlled ~35%. Let's say each Walmart store is getting 30 copies of this game. 70,000 games for Walmart. At 35% of sales, that makes for ~300,000 copies.

Some numbers for comparison:

Super Mario Bros. for the GBA (NES Classics edition, with no graphical upgrades, no 2, 3 and Lost Levels, no book, no music CD, but $10 less) sold 876,000 copies during it's lifespan. A niche title, indeed.

The Wii has sold (estimated) 35,910,000 units. At 300,000 copies of the game, that would be approximately one copy for every 120 Wiis.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the closest Comp Title, sold 550,000 on "Day One" in the NA market. And it was a $50 title.

Impossible to find? Probably not. Stroll into Walmart Monday afternoon for a copy? Maybe... if you're lucky. :D

[quote name='UncleBob']Quick. made-up reference numbers...

When GameStop wanted to buy EBGames, part of their legal defense was that they'd only control less than 10% of the Video Game Market, in contrast with Walmart who, at the time, controlled ~35%. Let's say each Walmart store is getting 30 copies of this game. 70,000 games for Walmart. At 35% of sales, that makes for ~300,000 copies.

Some numbers for comparison:

Super Mario Bros. for the GBA (NES Classics edition, with no graphical upgrades, no 2, 3 and Lost Levels, no book, no music CD, but $10 less) sold 876,000 copies during it's lifespan. A niche title, indeed.

The Wii has sold (estimated) 35,910,000 units. At 300,000 copies of the game, that would be approximately one copy for every 120 Wiis.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the closest Comp Title, sold 550,000 on "Day One" in the NA market. And it was a $50 title.

Impossible to find? Probably not. Stroll into Walmart Monday afternoon for a copy? Maybe... if you're lucky. :D[/QUOTE]

GBA? NSMB? You're kidding, right? Compare apples to apples at least. The re-releases on Wiiware sold 150,000 for the first game, 70,000 on the second and around 125,000 copies of the third game in the first full year of sales in the US. That's probably the reason Nintendo is only pressing a few hundred thousand copies of this compilation to begin with. The games appeal to nostalgic gamers and collectors, but not the average young family with little kids. The only reason this is being released over here is that it was cheap to do and it's fan service. Nintendo is not expecting this to sell millions of copies nor will it. The games are widely available in various versions and many of us already have them, but are buying this anyway. It's a neat item that most of us will play occasionally, but it's not the kind of thing that kids are going to demand their parents line up for at Toys R Us come Sunday morning.

I mean take it for what it is but I work for a company that sells new and used games in Ohio, we normally are stacked on new released titles and always have enough to meet demand even with games like demon souls CE, ME2 CE...and other harder to find games. We were just told that we would be lucky to get the game at all because bigger corporations have claimed more copies just to meet pre-order demands. We only got one Kinect per store (35 stores in the chain) on release day but were told we'd get more from the distributor and did in about 2 weeks. for this game the distributor (ingram entertainment) said we probably wont get any, at all

[quote name='bojay1997']GBA? NSMB? You're kidding, right? Compare apples to apples at least. The re-releases on Wiiware sold 150,000 for the first game, 70,000 on the second and around 125,000 copies of the third game in the first full year of sales in the US. That's probably the reason Nintendo is only pressing a few hundred thousand copies of this compilation to begin with. The games appeal to nostalgic gamers and collectors, but not the average young family with little kids. The only reason this is being released over here is that it was cheap to do and it's fan service. Nintendo is not expecting this to sell millions of copies nor will it. The games are widely available in various versions and many of us already have them, but are buying this anyway. It's a neat item that most of us will play occasionally, but it's not the kind of thing that kids are going to demand their parents line up for at Toys R Us come Sunday morning.[/QUOTE]

To be a little more fair though, not everyone is willing to buy these games on the Virtual console and would rather have disc based versions, so that could be why the numbers are lower. Then again, you can probably subtract some of the people who have already downloaded these games as potential buyers which could cause the sales numbers of the anniversary game to be lower as well.

I just say, if someone can't find a place to pre-order and really want this game, step into a B&M and buy it. Will it be limited? I'm thinking there will be a couple more shipments after the initial run, so it should be fairly easy to find within the month of December. After that, I don't think so.

Well a friend of mine who goes to the same tech school that I do happens to be an assistant manager at Target, specifically in the electornics department. I asked him about the game and if he had any info. This is what he told me:

They've gotten their shipment. They recieved two copies. TWO. He told me they were originally supposed to recieve 11. His store was informed they'd be getting "less than five copies" (which, again, ended up being 2), and that they would most likely not be allocated any further shipments of the game either. He said that they were told most department stores (walmart, kmart, sears, etc) that did not take in-store preorders would recieve a shipment of less than ten, and would not be getting any more after the initial shimpment, because the games needed to be distributed to stores that had taken pre-orders in order to meet those pre-orders. Finally, he told me that he was told not only would there not be further shipments, but Nintendo had to make more copies of the game than they originally intended in order to satisfy pre-orders, but as of now has already ceased production of the game.

Now, I know some of you will call "he made this shit up!" and others will say "even if this is true, what the hell does a Target employee or a random distribution guy know about how many games Nintendo is making?". To be honest, i'd probably think the same thing if I were you, and while I certainly believe my friend is telling me what he was told, I have no idea if I believe anything that this distribution guy said, rgaurdless of if he was being honest with the info HE was told or not.

What I do know is that my Target has 2 copies, which isn't promising, and that as of now, they aren't anticipating recieving more, which is also not promising.

Choose to believe me or not, but please do not flame me for this. I'm simply relaying info.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Well a friend of mine who goes to the same tech school that I do happens to be an assistant manager at Target, specifically in the electornics department. I asked him about the game and if he had any info. This is what he told me:

They've gotten their shipment. They recieved two copies. TWO. He told me they were originally supposed to recieve 11. His store was informed they'd be getting "less than five copies" (which, again, ended up being 2), and that they would most likely not be allocated any further shipments of the game either. He said that they were told most department stores (walmart, kmart, sears, etc) that did not take in-store preorders would recieve a shipment of less than ten, and would not be getting any more after the initial shimpment, because the games needed to be distributed to stores that had taken pre-orders in order to meet those pre-orders. Finally, he told me that he was told not only would there not be further shipments, but Nintendo had to make more copies of the game than they originally intended in order to satisfy pre-orders, but as of now has already ceased production of the game.

Now, I know some of you will call "he made this shit up!" and others will say "even if this is true, what the hell does a Target employee or a random distribution guy know about how many games Nintendo is making?". To be honest, i'd probably think the same thing if I were you, and while I certainly believe my friend is telling me what he was told, I have no idea if I believe anything that this distribution guy said, rgaurdless of if he was being honest with the info HE was told or not.

What I do know is that my Target has 2 copies, which isn't promising, and that as of now, they aren't anticipating recieving more, which is also not promising.

Choose to believe me or not, but please do not flame me for this. I'm simply relaying info.[/QUOTE]

There does seem to be many bits of info that this is more limited than anticipated. At the same time I don't think it maybe quite as difficult to find as one may think...maybe somewhere inbetween.

While watching the Nintendo Weekly video (yes I know it's atrociously cheesey), Alison made mention specifically "...really IS limited..."

Of course since she's basically a paid actress working for Nintendo, part or most of that could be hype...then again maybe not.

I think enough clues are out there that if you really want a copy of the game, you better go to a retailer within the first week or two to better your chances of finding a copy.

The Red Wii & DSiXL are "limited" also, but then again it seems those were advertised/marketed moreso than the SMAS collection. *shrugs* That's my thoughts on it anyways.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Well a friend of mine who goes to the same tech school that I do happens to be an assistant manager at Target, specifically in the electornics department. I asked him about the game and if he had any info. This is what he told me:

Choose to believe me or not, but please do not flame me for this. I'm simply relaying info.[/QUOTE]

Considering Target does not have "assistant managers", especially in the electronics department, I find that quite hard to believe.

I do believe however, that this game will be pretty hard to come by after the New Year.

[quote name='HydroX']Considering Target does not have "assistant managers", especially in the electronics department, I find that quite hard to believe.

I do believe however, that this game will be pretty hard to come by after the New Year.[/QUOTE]

believe whatever you want. i asked not to be flamed. i was just relaying info. he IS an assitant manager. its on his damn name tag. and he works in the electronic department.

next time you want to call me a liar when you know nothing of what im talking about, please first go dock your brother then fuck yourself. kthxbye.

[quote name='Drclaw411']believe whatever you want. i asked not to be flamed. i was just relaying info. he IS an assitant manager. its on his damn name tag. and he works in the electronic department.

next time you want to call me a liar when you know nothing of what im talking about, please first go dock your brother then fuck yourself. kthxbye.[/QUOTE]

Well shit! lol...

[quote name='Drclaw411']please first go dock your brother then fuck yourself. kthxbye.[/QUOTE]

Dock your brother?

Is your brother so fat that he has to be tied to the dock?

[quote name='CreepinDeth']I just say, if someone can't find a place to pre-order and really want this game, step into a B&M and buy it. Will it be limited? I'm thinking there will be a couple more shipments after the initial run, so it should be fairly easy to find within the month of December. After that, I don't think so.[/QUOTE]

I was actually thinking the opposite. I figured it'd be harder to find in December, then easier to find after it's inevitably restocked.

[quote name='UncleBob']I was actually thinking the opposite. I figured it'd be harder to find in December, then easier to find after it's inevitably restocked.[/QUOTE]
I'm still waiting on the restock of the Metroid Trilogy..............LOL!

Hopefully if this game sells well, we'll see more disc based reissues. I hate the fact its almost impossible to transfer VC games from one Wii to another. I would be the proud owner of a red Wii if I didn't have to send my white one in to have the games exchanged.

not sure what to do about this one ... have bought these games so many times, including the original in 85' lol ... would get to play, not to save, so I dont know yet.

Wow. I just figured out that my new position gives me loads of useful data. Without getting myself fired, let me say. that made-up 70,000 number above? Way too low. If what I'm seeing is any indication, if you want a copy from the initial shipment, plan for getting it at midnight or preorder.

[quote name='Fonz72']I'm still waiting on the restock of the Metroid Trilogy..............LOL!

Hopefully if this game sells well, we'll see more disc based reissues. I hate the fact its almost impossible to transfer VC games from one Wii to another. I would be the proud owner of a red Wii if I didn't have to send my white one in to have the games exchanged.[/QUOTE]

I don't like the concept of digital games as it is but as soon as I found that out, I stopped buying VC games. And the red wii was my plan as well.

Whether there's a second supply depends on whether you believe Nintendo that this is Limited.

Personally, I believe this is a limited one run edition. However, that limit is probably high as hell and half the stock has been bought by speculators. If that's true, then there should be enough of a supply in the secondary market to keep the prices reasonable and under $40 (which isn't that bad) and not in the $80 range.

[quote name='UncleBob']Wow. I just figured out that my new position gives me loads of useful data. Without getting myself fired, let me say. that made-up 70,000 number above? Way too low. If what I'm seeing is any indication, if you want a copy from the initial shipment, plan for getting it at midnight or preorder.[/QUOTE]

Based on your last sentence, don't you mean that 70k is way too high? Am I missing something here?

Anyway, just noticed that the pre-order option became available to me at Amazon. Didn't get an email notification even though I signed up. Just happened to check again based on the bumps on this thread. Pre-ordered one. Much appreciated, thread posters!

[quote name='UncleBob']Sorry. yes. The 70,000 number is way too high. By more than 50%. Posting from my phone and didn't reread what typed.[/QUOTE]

Well, that would be in line with my estimate of around 30K units for Walmart. That still means several hundred thousand units will be out there. You guys aren't necessarily 35% of the market anymore, especially for a title like this.

[quote name='bojay1997']Well, that would be in line with my estimate of around 30K units for Walmart. That still means several hundred thousand units will be out there. You guys aren't necessarily 35% of the market anymore, especially for a title like this.[/QUOTE]

Even if they have fallen off to 20% (which is doubtful), that means

30k units / .2 = 150k of these total.

Even if you go way out and say 200k units... is 200k units that much? Lots of nostalgia value in this.

Part of me wants this to be rare because I like rare stuff. But part of me wants all the idiot reselllers buying 50 copies to eat a dick when the reseller market is oversaturated...

hmmm

.... this should be interesting.

Of course, take it with a grain of salt, but if we're even only getting 10% of the initial shipment, the total made up number in my eariler post is too high. By a lot.

[quote name='UncleBob']Of course, take it with a grain of salt, but if we're even only getting 10% of the initial shipment, the total made up number in my eariler post is too high. By a lot.[/QUOTE]

So will 24-hour Walmarts be able to sell this game at 12:00 am Sunday morning?

Yes, as long as you talk to a Walmart employee that knows what they're doing.

I can't count the number of times that a Walmart employee hasn't understood the concept of first party Nintendo games releasing on Sunday and not Tuesday. I had trouble getting DKC at Kmart for the same stupid reason.

Oh it pisses me off so badly when they refuse to understand that they are released on Sunday and not Tuesday like everything else. I don't know why management doesn't inform everyone of that fact. It is even worse at 12am since, and I don't mean this as an insult to anyone really, but you really don't get the brightest bulbs working back there at that time anyway, at least in the stores I have bought from.

you guys are slowly convincing me to get this..even though I've already found out that even the cd ost is very limited (the 4 same games not withstanding). I really don't see why they couldn't include everything up to say the Wii generation of games.

SMW1/2, 64, and sunshine to round it out. Perhaps that'll be called Super mario all stars 2 (also limited edition) and also with 4 games lol.

[quote name='Downhome']Oh it pisses me off so badly when they refuse to understand that they are released on Sunday and not Tuesday like everything else.[/QUOTE]

Room... spinning?

I'm worried. I can't get a copy at release, but I don't want to miss out on this.

[quote name='jterp7']you guys are slowly convincing me to get this..even though I've already found out that even the cd ost is very limited (the 4 same games not withstanding). I really don't see why they couldn't include everything up to say the Wii generation of games.
[/QUOTE]

I think it's simply because they don't have to. This package is selling like hotcakes anyway.

i know..the sad part is that I want it anyway. My excuse is that my kids haven't played it yet. My 5yr is currently obsessed with NSMBW---completed with a poster of it over his bed.

[quote name='scottman']Where are people even getting their information about "one print run" etc...?[/QUOTE]

There has never been a specific announcement to that effect. A lot of the hype stemmed from on-line sources that added their own spin to what "limited time only" means. Some of this hype also has to do with the fact that Nintendo stopped pressing MPT a few months after release. In people's minds, that was "one print run" even though it was obviously more than that as it was technically in-print for months and a print run of hundreds of thousands of units can be cranked out literally in a day or two with modern printing and replication technology. Nintendo had trouble selling 400K units of MPT which is likely why they stopped pressing it, not because they wanted to make it hard to get. The only thing the official website says is that it will be available for a limited time only. That could be weeks, months or even years.

Here is the full Nintendo press release from October:

Oct. 28, 2010

Today, Nintendo of America revealed plans to give U.S. consumers a super-special way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros.™ game series. Starting Dec. 12, the Super Mario All-Stars™ Limited Edition will be available for purchase while supplies last. This collectible package features four classic Mario™ games playable on the Wii™ system, a soundtrack CD and an illustrated commemorative booklet. Sure to be a sought-after item among holiday gift-seekers, Super Mario All-Stars will be offered at a suggested retail price of $29.99.

The games included in the Super Mario All-Stars collection are Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3. Each game features the enhanced graphics and updated sound from the Super NES™ Super Mario All-Stars collection, and all four can be played on the Wii system using one of several controllers: the Wii Remote™ controller, Classic Controller™, Classic Controller Pro™ or the Nintendo GameCube™ controller.

Also included is a Super Mario History soundtrack CD, a compilation of memorable music from the Mario franchise. Containing classic theme songs and fun sound effects from the original Super Mario Bros. game all the way up to this year's acclaimed Super Mario Galaxy™ 2 game, this special disc also marks the first official release of the "Super Mario Bros. Ground Theme," widely recognized as one of the most famous pieces of video game music in history.

Rounding out the Super Mario All-Stars collection is a 32-page Super Mario History booklet featuring interviews, behind-the-scenes details and rare concept art. Fans from every generation can enjoy firsthand insights into the beginnings of Mario, illustrated with candid photos and never-before-seen design sketches. Together with the game software and soundtrack, it's the ultimate tribute to a unique game series.

For more information about the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., visit http://mario25.nintendo.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back