Super Mario All-Stars (Wii) - 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Matt Young']Room... spinning?

I'm worried. I can't get a copy at release, but I don't want to miss out on this.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Indeed.

There wont be any excuse for anyone here not getting their hands on this game since it is still available on Amazon as of right now.

Hoping to score 2 of these. 1 for myself and 1 for my boss' son. (His son LOVES mario my boss gave me the money to get one for him for xmas)

I have an amazon preorder and a best buy preorder. Hope they get honored. Guess we will all find out on Sunday. Craaaazy.

[quote name='confoosious']I don't like the concept of digital games as it is but as soon as I found that out, I stopped buying VC games. And the red wii was my plan as well.

Whether there's a second supply depends on whether you believe Nintendo that this is Limited.

Personally, I believe this is a limited one run edition. However, that limit is probably high as hell and half the stock has been bought by speculators. If that's true, then there should be enough of a supply in the secondary market to keep the prices reasonable and under $40 (which isn't that bad) and not in the $80 range.[/QUOTE]

...you know, you could always run the Homebrew Channel. It's super easy to do.
Nintendo has the WORST policy on digital distribution.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Well a friend of mine who goes to the same tech school that I do happens to be an assistant manager at Target, specifically in the electornics department. I asked him about the game and if he had any info. This is what he told me:

They've gotten their shipment. They recieved two copies. TWO. He told me they were originally supposed to recieve 11. His store was informed they'd be getting "less than five copies" (which, again, ended up being 2), and that they would most likely not be allocated any further shipments of the game either. He said that they were told most department stores (walmart, kmart, sears, etc) that did not take in-store preorders would recieve a shipment of less than ten, and would not be getting any more after the initial shimpment, because the games needed to be distributed to stores that had taken pre-orders in order to meet those pre-orders. Finally, he told me that he was told not only would there not be further shipments, but Nintendo had to make more copies of the game than they originally intended in order to satisfy pre-orders, but as of now has already ceased production of the game.

Now, I know some of you will call "he made this shit up!" and others will say "even if this is true, what the hell does a Target employee or a random distribution guy know about how many games Nintendo is making?". To be honest, i'd probably think the same thing if I were you, and while I certainly believe my friend is telling me what he was told, I have no idea if I believe anything that this distribution guy said, rgaurdless of if he was being honest with the info HE was told or not.

What I do know is that my Target has 2 copies, which isn't promising, and that as of now, they aren't anticipating recieving more, which is also not promising.

Choose to believe me or not, but please do not flame me for this. I'm simply relaying info.[/QUOTE]

Let me put this out there. Toys R Us is not doing pre orders in store for this game. My store already has 100+ copies in store to sell for next week, and based on the volume for my store, I would have to assume all TRU stores will get similar quantities if not more, with god knows how many the Times Square location will get to sell.

[quote name='jterp7']i know..the sad part is that I want it anyway. My excuse is that my kids haven't played it yet. My 5yr is currently obsessed with NSMBW---completed with a poster of it over his bed.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I hope you had it preordered the day they announced it. Kid's gonna love it.

It doesn't matter if he preordered the first day or today. Amazon is still selling it. They wouldn't have put it back up if they didn't know their shipment numbers by now.

[quote name='HydroX']Considering Target does not have "assistant managers", especially in the electronics department, I find that quite hard to believe.

I do believe however, that this game will be pretty hard to come by after the New Year.[/QUOTE]

He works at target. He has a nametage that says "assistant manager" on it. He works in the elcetronic department.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Dude, I hope you had it preordered the day they announced it. Kid's gonna love it.[/QUOTE]

this game is not going to be THAT rare. You guys are acting like midnight launch turnout is going to be like a COD release, and that inventory numbers are that of an Atlus game.

It's a Nintendo game, it wont sell out on day 1.

Dont mean to be a threadshitter, but one of gamings most beloved and recognized icons sure got a shoddy treatment for a 25 anniversary package. The cd, artwork are all decent, but its like Nintendo just ported the SNES all-stars to Wii. Where's Mario World? Mario 64? They should have packed in those games plus the first two Mario Karts, Mario Tennis and maybe a few more iconic mario games for $50 instead of what they doing now.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']this game is not going to be THAT rare. You guys are acting like midnight launch turnout is going to be like a COD release, and that inventory numbers are that of an Atlus game.

It's a Nintendo game, it wont sell out on day 1.[/QUOTE]
But it will sell out sometime between day 2-???

I'm hoping they do this sort of complete package with the Mario SNES Titles some day.. Super Mario World, Kart, RPG, World 2 and maybe even Mario Paint.

[quote name='limelight022']Dont mean to be a threadshitter, but one of gamings most beloved and recognized icons sure got a shoddy treatment for a 25 anniversary package. The cd, artwork are all decent, but its like Nintendo just ported the SNES all-stars to Wii. Where's Mario World? Mario 64? They should have packed in those games plus the first two Mario Karts, Mario Tennis and maybe a few more iconic mario games for $50 instead of what they doing now.[/QUOTE]

yeah no kidding...at the very least include the "+Super Mario World" version.

[quote name='limelight022']Dont mean to be a threadshitter, but one of gamings most beloved and recognized icons sure got a shoddy treatment for a 25 anniversary package. The cd, artwork are all decent, but its like Nintendo just ported the SNES all-stars to Wii. Where's Mario World? Mario 64? They should have packed in those games plus the first two Mario Karts, Mario Tennis and maybe a few more iconic mario games for $50 instead of what they doing now.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that the CD is only about 25 minutes long. Ugh.

Look - those who want the game can pre-order it or pick it up in-store. If you're worried about the availability of the title, you can get it ASAP. If you're not worried, then you can chance it and get it whenever. No slack off my shoulders either way.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']this game is not going to be THAT rare. You guys are acting like midnight launch turnout is going to be like a COD release, and that inventory numbers are that of an Atlus game.

It's a Nintendo game, it wont sell out on day 1.[/QUOTE]

It's a potential beloved Christmas present for his son. Take no chances.

It was a beloved Christmas present for me when I got my SNES so many years ago. I would have been super disappointed if it wasn't under the tree that one morning.

[quote name='limelight022']but its like Nintendo just ported the SNES all-stars to Wii.[/QUOTE]

It looks like it's merely being emulated, not ported. The SNES controller illustration appears in that video up there.

Still, the games rule. I'm not getting this collection myself. I still have my SNES, but for anybody who wasn't around for it back then (today's kids), this is going to be huge.

[quote name='xtaru3243']just got back from ebgames. they are gettign 28 preorders. only 1 or 2 extras..[/QUOTE]

That's a ton of copies for an allegedly "rare" game for one small location of a 4,000 unit chain. Between this report and the Toys R Us getting 100 copies, I think it's very safe to say nobody should panic or worry about a pre-order at this point.

[quote name='Chuplayer']It's a potential beloved Christmas present for his son. Take no chances.

It was a beloved Christmas present for me when I got my SNES so many years ago. I would have been super disappointed if it wasn't under the tree that one morning.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, my kids love Mario and most other Nintendo games, but they could care less about these particular games. They just don't find them very fun. I'm sure lots of parents will buy them, but I can't imagine a kid actually asking for this as opposed to NSMB or something else like DKC.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']yeah no kidding...at the very least include the "+Super Mario World" version.[/QUOTE]

Woulda been an instant purchase for me if it had SMW. Passin on this...

[quote name='FromChaos']Woulda been an instant purchase for me if it had SMW. Passin on this...[/QUOTE]

but...but...but......RARE!

[quote name='bojay1997']I don't know, my kids love Mario and most other Nintendo games, but they could care less about these particular games. They just don't find them very fun. I'm sure lots of parents will buy them, but I can't imagine a kid actually asking for this as opposed to NSMB or something else like DKC.[/QUOTE]

My nephew is nine and he adores the original Mario games, as well as any other classic Mario (and Sonic) games that I've introduced him to. He seems to especially enjoy SMB3 and SMW, very likely because they're so similar to NSMB and NSMBWii, which are two of his favorite games. Guess it just depends on the kids.

[quote name='bojay1997']That's a ton of copies for an allegedly "rare" game for one small location of a 4,000 unit chain. Between this report and the Toys R Us getting 100 copies, I think it's very safe to say nobody should panic or worry about a pre-order at this point.[/QUOTE]

Well since preorders don't cost anything, why not just preorder?

If you plan on getting this, why not be safe?

i bet my 5yr old would like SMW..but I really don't want it on VC since it'd be tied to it physically. Come to think of it, my wife still has her copy of all stars at her parents when she had the SNES back in the day..guess I could let him play it the old fashioned way.

Labels like rare, limited, or collectors rarely mean that for games that call themselves collectibles. As I've said before, the only LE game that's actually lived up to that title in the last 2-3 generations is Kojima's MGS3: Subsistence. The fact that Gamestops only got 1-3 copies of it and that it wasn't even sold at most retailers made certain that that release was truly limited.

Since then, as we've seen, the rare or limited games are not the ones that declare themselves rare but are those that get overshadowed and underpublished; from the last generation, it's games like Gradius V (PS2), Project Justice (DC), and Pikmin 2 (GCN) -- great games that never got the attention they deserved.

I'm glad to see people doing their homework on these kind of releases before just plopping down their hard-earned money. Listen, I love Mario as much as the next Nintendo fanboy -- but even I think Nintendo sometimes over-exploits its characters and milks them for more than they're worth.

I'm happy they're releasing this, but I do think it's a rather ho-hum package for the greatest videogame character ever. I still can't believe Super Mario World is NOT on this, and like another said, the CD is 25 minutes long :whistle2:(

Sort of reminds me when Nintendo released a "limited" edition replica of Link's sword and shield from Twillight Princess along with a soundtrack CD ... that only had 4 tracks on it (I think) -- they were selling it for $50. Absolute rip-off, though I'm pretty sure people still bought it in droves.

Hoping to pick this one up (like I said, I love Ninty) -- but I'd like to see it for $10 less (already have All-Stars but my SNES bit the dust ... may be I should just spend this money on a retro SNES instead).

Not surprisingly, GAYSTOP has my "preorder" listed as BACKORDERED now.

I already had an Amazon order placed. I decided I wanted a second copy - and when Amazon's went unavailable, I went ahead and put an order in with gamestop. Since they are now backordered, I cancelled gamestop's...and went with another Amazon order.

Saved me a headache, and also tax.

Love Amazon.

[quote name='crr_1119']Destructoid did a nice unboxing video showing off the contents for anyone who's interested:[/QUOTE]

I saw the Kotaku unboxing and I got to say I'm not that impressed with the contents, I'll probably still buy it though

[quote name='BigBizzee']Not surprisingly, GAYSTOP has my "preorder" listed as BACKORDERED now.

I already had an Amazon order placed. I decided I wanted a second copy - and when Amazon's went unavailable, I went ahead and put an order in with gamestop. Since they are now backordered, I cancelled gamestop's...and went with another Amazon order.

Love Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Not that I like defending Gamestop, but this is pretty normal for games as they go from pre-order to in-stock. There wasn't a huge need to cancel, but whatever.

[quote name='BigBizzee']Not surprisingly, GAYSTOP has my "preorder" listed as BACKORDERED now.

Love Amazon.[/QUOTE]

:applause:congratufuckinglations:applause:

[quote name='Justin42']Not that I like defending Gamestop, but this is pretty normal for games as they go from pre-order to in-stock. There wasn't a huge need to cancel, but whatever.[/QUOTE]

Nope, some places have "pre-order" guarantee. That is the whole purpose of preordering a game. I would be pissoff if a merchant changes my preorder to "backordered" close to the release date as well!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DefeatUForever']I've always wondered why people in the amazon marketplace list ridiculous prices like that. It makes me wonder if some moron out there actually buys one at that price once in awhile.[/QUOTE]

I always wonder the same thing on eBay listings. Doesn't it cost money to list items that don't sell?

[quote name='leopaw']Nope, some places have "pre-order" guarantee. That is the whole purpose of preordering a game. I would be pissoff if a merchant changes my preorder to "backordered" close to the release date as well![/QUOTE]

I think what he meant was that if you have a pre-order at gamestop.com usually before it goes to the shipping phase the status shows up as backordered. Every pre-order from them I have had has done this.

[quote name='adamical']I always wonder the same thing on eBay listings. Doesn't it cost money to list items that don't sell?[/QUOTE]

Depends. It used to be that you always paid a listing fee. However, eBay has made listing free for the last 3 months or so. You only pay if the item sells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back