Super Mario All-Stars (Wii) - 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont think theres precedent for Nintendo doing the thing you're talking about. Closest thing would be a Player's Choice line, but it doesnt exist for either Wii or DS. Plus Nintendo wont let anyone touch their stuff so GQD reprint is out. If we exclude Player's Choice/Greatest Hits/etc, I cant think of a single LE/SE where there was no standard edition in the first run but it came later.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo could see how popular SMB: All stars is and add it as a pack in with the Wii. The Gamecube seemed to have plenty of pack in bundels like zelda, mario kart, pokemon & metriod. I could see that happening before a reprint.

[quote name='KingDox']Nintendo could see how popular SMB: All stars is and add it as a pack in with the Wii. The Gamecube seemed to have plenty of pack in bundels like zelda, mario kart, pokemon & metriod. I could see that happening before a reprint.[/QUOTE]

this for teh funny

I am loving the game as I think they are superior to the VC versions. My only complaint is not being able to save after each level. I have no interest in the cd or history book...if someone does, send me a pm. Thanks!

[quote name='Thrinn']Yeah, but many people hold the Mario games in much higher regards than anything on the Sega collection. The extras in this are terrible, sure; but the games stand on their own like few other games can.[/QUOTE]

There are quite a few people who like the Sonic games better. Still my point is Sega released a collection of over 40 games and updated them to HD. Nintendo re-released a collection of only 4 games that were originally on a single SNES cartridge and didn't update them at all (not even the controller screen). Even past Nintendo compilations like the Zelda Collection (which was free with a Nintendo Power subscription) and Metroid Prime Trilogy were better values. Hell, when All-Stars was originally released for the SNES many people got it for free and back then it was a much better value inherently.

Nintendo should have released a compilation featuring both the NES originals and All-Stars, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Mario Bros. (arcade version), the GBA versions, and thrown in some bonus Mario titles like Dr. Mario and Super Mario Kart and updated all of them with 480p visuals. That would have been a fitting 25th anniversary tribute.

[quote name='Serious McMopy']For me, it's one word: nostalgia. To be specific, blind nostalgia. Is it a lazy port? Very definition of lazy. Is it over-priced? IMHO, most definitely. Truth be told, I would have much rather pay 50 bucks for this to be updated to modern standards, than to pay 30 for the product that was released, but regardless of all that, the bottom line is that this game was a huge part of my childhood, and I can be quite the sucker at times for nostalgia, even it be blind, as the case is here.

It's the same reason I purchased the Dino Megazord, even though I've only played with it once or twice (and I knew that going in), and it's same reason I find the Hey Dude theme enjoyable, even though I hated the show as a kid.[/QUOTE]

But aren't you actually nostalgic for the original NES versions of the Super Mario Bros. games and not the SNES update?

I have the original Dino Megazord. :) It was remade wasn't it? I assume you got a new one? As for Hey Dude I loved that show as a kid and it had a very memorable theme song.

I should mention I did get this Wii release. Pre-ordered it in fact but I had hoped for so much more. It doesn't change my stance that it's a terrible value for what you actually get. Nintendo should be embarrassed and ultimately they could have made even more money with a better collection. I'll definitely pass on any future releases this lazy.

Got my delivery from BB, it was in the box dropped off yesterday. Bubble wrapped but the box looked perfect. So I opened it up to check it out. I'm not as good like I was when I was younger...

[quote name='Collectordragon']There are quite a few people who like the Sonic games better. Still my point is Sega released a collection of over 40 games and updated them to HD.[/QUOTE]
I am not trying to argue that 4 games can compete in terms of quantity with the Sega collection. All I'm trying to say is that the quality of the games themselves in the Mario collection was clearly defined the the warm reception it got by the consumer.

If Sonic games had anywhere near the fan base that Mario games have you'd see Sega trying to sell 3 main Sonic games + Knuckles for $30, too. Instead Sega is forced to sell 40 games for $20 because the demand just isn't the same as it is for Mario.

[quote name='Collectordragon']There are quite a few people who like the Sonic games better.[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to defend how Nintendo designed this collection. I feel like they could have done a far better job than they did. I completely agree with the points you made.

Nintendo had no problem moving 4 games at $30 when their competition was selling 40 games for $20. All that I was trying to say is that Mario is one of the few series that can get away with this because... well, it's Mario. Nintendo knew that this would sell when they were designing this collection and it appears to have paid off.

If Sonic had the same rabid following you'd see Sega selling the 3 main Sonic games + Knuckles on a $30 disc, too. It doesn't help Sega's price point when they're constantly releasing Genesis games in one form or another on just about every platform where as Nintendo spaces their retro gaming collections much further apart.

[quote name='thelwig14']My only complaint is not being able to save after each level.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to save after each level in Lost Levels.

[quote name='Collectordragon']There are quite a few people who like the Sonic games better. Still my point is Sega released a collection of over 40 games and updated them to HD.[/QUOTE]

This is what Sonic morons actually believe. The games are just emulated trash with a HQ2X filter smoothing everything out. PC emulators have been doing this for years and doing a better job of it.

Thrinn:
Nintendo reminds me of Disney in that respect. If this is a truly limited release I guess it's gone back in the vault. It's not a bad strategy on Nintendo's part but they probably could have made more money and gotten more respect with a better collection and a higher price point. It's too bad that Nintendo didn't try to make this release at least on par with other past collections including their own.

Chuplayer:
You forgot to mention other features like different resolutions, save states, changing the speed of game play, etc. Official compilations are almost always limited in comparison. The only exception is when new elements are added. Like All-Stars the first time around or the Sonic collection that was on the Saturn which updated the graphics a bit and added game mechanics from later titles to the original Sonic game.

I luckily saw one at toys r us today, lol it was hidden behind a couple games but i saw the 25th anniversary on the side of the display case.
Some employee must be mad :p

didn't see one at another toys r us but the odd thing is, at target on Sat. i saw 2/3 of them, today i went back and saw about 10 or more.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm i guess they were holding some for this week as the final Christmas week ?

glad i got one for $20 :D

[quote name='Collectordragon']There are quite a few people who like the Sonic games better. Still my point is Sega released a collection of over 40 games and updated them to HD. Nintendo re-released a collection of only 4 games that were originally on a single SNES cartridge and didn't update them at all (not even the controller screen). Even past Nintendo compilations like the Zelda Collection (which was free with a Nintendo Power subscription) and Metroid Prime Trilogy were better values. Hell, when All-Stars was originally released for the SNES many people got it for free and back then it was a much better value inherently.

Nintendo should have released a compilation featuring both the NES originals and All-Stars, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Mario Bros. (arcade version), the GBA versions, and thrown in some bonus Mario titles like Dr. Mario and Super Mario Kart and updated all of them with 480p visuals. That would have been a fitting 25th anniversary tribute.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. My number one complaint with this release was that they didn't update them to at least 480p; Like all the other game remakes out there i.e. Sonic, Bionic Commando, etc.

[quote name='thelwig14']I am loving the game as I think they are superior to the VC versions. My only complaint is not being able to save after each level. I have no interest in the cd or history book...if someone does, send me a pm. Thanks![/QUOTE]

You can save after each level in SMB (I think?) and Lost Levels (I know). When you restart, you can choose the last level you were on.

With SMB2 and SMB3, you can save after each level and keep certain stats (like lives). But, yes, you'll be returned to the start of the World you saved in. For SMB3, that can be painful...since you essentially have to finish a World in each sitting.

That being said, I'm 100% done with the collection. Finished every game without Warp Zones, and by completing every level (SMB3). Feels great!

most auctions appear to be ending a bit higher lately. I bought one at BB recently just to ensure I had a good copy before my newegg order arrived. The newegg one was in nice condition so I was going to return the other, but maybe I should just resell it.

I ended up picking up this game. I wasn't going to, but I watch the quick look of it at Giant Bomb. I played the crap out of this game in college and nostalgia kicked in.

I missed out on any kind of preorder from Amazon and such. Seems that might have been a good thing seeing the condition some got it in from shipping. I got it at Target and everything was in great condition.

I played some SMB3 and boy do I suck at it. I used to play the game a couple times a week. I got 2 game overs trying to beat World 1.

Finally returned my launch day Super Mario All-Stars today. The return was even more laborious than the purchase. I'm done with Gamestop at least until after Christmas. Maybe until after Valentine's Day...or until Marvel vs. Capcom 3 comes out.

I still suck at the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2.

I'm also still not sure the control in this is the same as the originals...still seems worse to me.

The classic pad does control better than the Wii controller by itself.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']TRU had quite a few instock, and I was the only person in the past hour to buy the game. Starting to laugh at all the hubub once again.[/QUOTE]

really? Every local electronics store is cleaned out. The only store that have it are waaay on the side of town no one goes to (I'd have to fight an hour of holiday traffic, so no thanks. Rather DL all the stuff off VC

[quote name='Pookymeister']I was at Target tonight and i saw about 10 of these just sitting on a shelf.[/QUOTE]

that is how stores tend to display their shit

Glad to own this collection just for the box and extras.

A friend of mine lived with me for about two months and we played this on my SNES pretty much non-stop(neither of us had a current-gen console at the time). I remember playing through SMB3 on my own, in one sitting, and only dying once throughout the entire game... I was pretty proud of myself, but most people just laugh at me when I tell them that story. Or roll their eyes. lol

I know this won't apply to most sane people, but I discovered something useful (to me) while I was hooking up my third Wii today... Yet another reason why Super Mario All-Stars is a better deal than Virtual Console downloads.

Not only can I play it in any Wii at any time, but I can actually play it in multiple Wiis at once. Once it's loaded in one Wii, I can pop the disc into another system and load it up again. Whoo-hoo!

Best Buy order came last week, finally. Box was in good shape, but the game's the important part. :)

[quote name='Pookymeister']I was at Target tonight and i saw about 10 of these just sitting on a shelf.[/QUOTE]

Luck of the draw? The Target I was in earlier today didn't have any, judging from the depressed couple that was standing next to me.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Great business sense there. Let's prevent you from buying something so we can sell it to you cheaper tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
TRU does this allll the time. That way, when the sale starts, you don't have to listen to 100 people bitch about not having the merchandise in stock. Well, you do when they come in an hour before closing and expect the game to still be there, but those are the people you get to laugh at.

I know at my store, we've have a bunch of Kinects since last week. I think we put out 5 Sat, 5 Sun, and 5 are for tomorrow. This is also just a precautionary move sometimes, as TRU likes to send out random "guaranteed to be in stock" emails, like the one they sent out last week about Kinect. Which we had been out of for days.

[quote name='UncleBob']I know this won't apply to most sane people, but I discovered something useful (to me) while I was hooking up my third Wii today... Yet another reason why Super Mario All-Stars is a better deal than Virtual Console downloads.

Not only can I play it in any Wii at any time, but I can actually play it in multiple Wiis at once. Once it's loaded in one Wii, I can pop the disc into another system and load it up again. Whoo-hoo![/QUOTE]

well thats interesting

I tried to resist this one, but once I saw the last copy in Kmart, I caved in. Next day in Best Buy, they had at least 30 copies out in 2 different display areas. This was a week after it was out. Hard to think it's really scarce.

Belgarath the Ancient One

seems like the main big box stores/gamestop are sold out, but Sears/meijer/etc still have it. Gonna price match TRU's sale with sears today for an extra 10% off.

[quote name='scott_matthews']They are selling on eBay for next to nothing right now (many auctions are in the under $10 range including shipping and many are ending without a single bid).[/QUOTE]

Huh? Completed auctions are around $50 plus shipping. ???

The nintendo rep was in yesterday and I asked about this. He said that nintendo only printed about 100k copies of this title and that they had all shipped and they won't be printing any more

I had an extra copy that I sold on half.com for $45. I sent it priority mail so the person could get it before x-mas; after extra shipping costs and commission, I broke even. Still, I haven't seen the game anywhere since it came out, so I think that there is some value/rarity to it.

[quote name='confoosious']Because he must be looking at those if he thinks they're going for next to nothing on ebay.[/QUOTE]

I think he meant $10 profit. If you look at the hundreds of auctions that have ended in the past few days, the average sales price is about $45. There are a few anomalies, but once you figure in Ebay and Paypal fees of 13%, your net profit is roughly $10 assuming you live in a tax free or low tax state. Yes, if you got in on one of the TRU deals, it would be more, but that meant driving to Toys R Us, etc...not exactly worth starting your own SMAS flipping business for those margins.

[quote name='bojay1997']I think he meant $10 profit. If you look at the hundreds of auctions that have ended in the past few days, the average sales price is about $45. There are a few anomalies, but once you figure in Ebay and Paypal fees of 13%, your net profit is roughly $10 assuming you live in a tax free or low tax state. Yes, if you got in on one of the TRU deals, it would be more, but that meant driving to Toys R Us, etc...not exactly worth starting your own SMAS flipping business for those margins.[/QUOTE]

I find it funny that ppl lump driving into the equation. That's largely a sunk/nominal cost unless you're going completely out of your way. Margins are margins for some ppl; they may be razor thin, but it's still money in your pocket that you didn't have, obtained through minimal effort.

You can price match TRU's $10 off mario games to Sears for an extra 10% of the difference off, making them $18.99. Just got two...my nieces and nephews will be psyched!

[quote name='Ardrid']I find it funny that ppl lump driving into the equation. That's largely a sunk/nominal cost unless you're going completely out of your way. Margins are margins for some ppl; they may be razor thin, but it's still money in your pocket that you didn't have, obtained through minimal effort.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly the kind of flawed thinking that causes small business owners to go bankrupt every day. Unless you are someone that bikes to Toys R Us or lives right next to one, chances are you have to drive to get there. At $3.30 a gallon in California right now plus maintenance costs for those extra miles, you have to put that into the equation and while you might get some extra money in your pocket temporarily, when you get your credit card bill at the end of the month, you still have to pay for the gas and regular car maintenance (tires, brakes, oil changes, etc...).

It all depends on your situation. My 09 civic gets great mileage and i change the synthetic oil twice a year. I fill it up once a month maybe, since I live in the city and rarely have to drive. Gas/car money spent to get deals is totally nominal for me, even when I spend a day shopping and driving around in the suburbs.

Now if I lived in the boonies and drove an SUV, that might be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back