Super Mario Galaxy 2 - New Trailer! - Out now

A new power-up has been revealed: Cloud Mario
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=16659
screenshot_29513_thumb300.jpg

[quote name='ChibiJosh']All these new power ups are amazing. My only worry is that you'll only see some of them once or twice.[/QUOTE]

gimmick power ups where it will only be used for a certian platformer puzzle....

would be nice for some permanant power ups.

I hope there's some open-endedness with the power ups. Like, being able to complete a level with cloud Mario or with Yoshi. Also, I hope the power ups aren't time restricted. Did anyone else hate that?

I've pretty much kept myself in the dark about this game, but I think I'll make it a day one purchase.

I just can't believe they didn't hold it until the fall.

I bought the first SMG game for $20 from somebody online just so I can acclimate myself to the gameplay again. Amazing how the game is still addictive and fun to play 2.5 years later.

I just hope it's not a disappointment like BioShock 2 and Final Fantasy XIII were for me. May 23, Day one buy.

I think with Double ECA and GB discount, I should be getting it for 27.... I should finish the first one off soon.

[quote name='FallMoon']I hope there's some open-endedness with the power ups. Like, being able to complete a level with cloud Mario or with Yoshi. Also, I hope the power ups aren't time restricted. Did anyone else hate that?[/QUOTE]

Maybe that's the reason people liked the Bee and Spring suits so much. To be honest, the majority of the power-ups in Galaxy didn't feel overpowered enough to make me want to keep them the entire level. The Fire Flower especially.

New trailer, featuring 2-player assist mode, Cosmic Guide, and Cloud Mario.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_2uilWh7JE

Nintendo's also starting a Youtube trailer campaign, the "Transmission" series, starting with this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qleVPr10PRw
16 videos will be in this series, and Transmission 2 will be out Friday.

Finally, new previews from IGN, Destructoid, and Joystiq
http://wii.ign.com/articles/108/1084921p1.html
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/21/super-mario-galaxy-2-co-op-and-cloud-power-up-preview/#continued
http://www.destructoid.com/exploring-the-clouds-in-super-mario-galaxy-2-171619.phtml

Last edited by a moderator:
nice that they include a bit more for player 2... like air bubbles and such.

That player assist feature is nice for stuck players.

I don't know what that star guy following Mario was with the Coin for, Banking one in case he needs one? I would guess that player 2 could do something similar.....

[quote name='xycury']I don't know what that star guy following Mario was with the Coin for, Banking one in case he needs one? I would guess that player 2 could do something similar.....[/QUOTE]

That was player 2!

[quote name='flameofdoom666']That was player 2![/QUOTE]

:hot:

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm still unsure what Player 2 does, even by looking at the video.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was confused too.... hopefully it'll be more than just a floaty pointer. I want my wife in on this goodness. She freaks out on platformers.

:drool:

I may have to delay picking up Red Dead because this looks so good.

Oh and the comments on the GT videos are hilarious. People calling Mario lovers kids/babies, Mario lovers calling these people immature and telling them to go play random gun game 13.

[quote name='seanr1221']:drool:

I may have to delay picking up Red Dead because this looks so good.

Oh and the comments on the GT videos are hilarious. People calling Mario lovers kids/babies, Mario lovers calling these people immature and telling them to go play random gun game 13.[/QUOTE]

I know, right? lol

[quote name='seanr1221']SuperPhillip! Go in there and defend the Nintendo fanboys![/QUOTE]

No, thanks. Been there, done that. I defend the consoles I like from ignorance. Not the console warriors! ;)

Transmission 8 is the Super Luigi Galaxy 2 trailer ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O07vq5HhfrI

Unlike the previous transmission videos, this one is done in the same style as the SMG2 trailers, only with Luigi taking Mario's place. From the GT video in the last post and this one, it looks like you'll have the option to play as Luigi during Mario's campaign, presumably for certain stars. If this is the case, it does make me wonder what the end-game bonus will be. Will it simply be the ability to play as Luigi for every star, or something else?

[quote name='Strell']Isn't Edge notoriously more harsh, especially on Wii titles?

Not that it really matters.[/QUOTE]

haha, that made me lol

[quote name='Strell']Isn't Edge notoriously more harsh, especially on Wii titles?[/QUOTE]

The original Super Mario Galaxy also received a 10 from Edge, for what it's worth.

Last game I was looking forward to this much was Final Fantasy IX. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

Happy to see some long sliding videos, those were my favorite parts of Mario 64. (I think you were racing a penguin or something? Not sure, been a looooooong time)

The ONMUK review has been summarized on the Internet. This time, you only need 20 stars to play as Luigi. However, the review mentions that a third character is unlocked when you get all 120 stars.
http://www.brawlinthefamily.com/for...r-Mario-Galaxy-2&p=33340&viewfull=1#post33340

EDIT: ONM UK clarified this point by giving their exact quote. All they mention in the review is a hint that something else is the reward for getting all 120 stars:
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=123090
"Luigi nonchalantly turns up about 20 stars in and offers his services at random points throughout the game, which is a good thing because it means you don't have to get all 120 stars to play as him this time. What's the reward for doing so this time around? Come on, we're not telling you that!"

- SUPER MARIO GALAXY NEVER HAPPENED. Technically. Instead, the game takes place in an alternate reality where Mario and the Lumas etc. have never met before.
- The sidescrolling intro? It's part of a story book, and as you play, the pages turn and the story appears below. Sounds cool.
- Bowser kidnaps Peach. Oh noes. He's also giant for some reason.
- The fat Luma is the owner of the Mario space ship (although he transforms it from a simple planet), and he's called Lubba. He needs the power stars to fuel the ship, which Bowser stole along with the princess. Of course.
- When Lubba transforms it into the Mario ship he says "Nice spaceship, huh? More like a FACEship!". ... I shouldn't have laughed but I did. :p
- The Starship Mario is the hub, but it's pretty small. You just use it to talk to people and have random fun. The new map system is less complicated than the Comet Observatory.
- It's a brighter game, with more colour. That's nice. Plus some are sunny planets.
- 40 Plus Galaxies, each with a new and interesting gameplay mechanic.
- One of the stars in the TreeTrunk Galaxy is obtainable in a similar way to the Princess' Secret Slide level. Complete with the same music. Hell yeah.
- The Fluffy Bluff Galaxy apparently has music rivalling Gusty Garden. I can't wait. :D World 3's is supposed to be good too (although how can you have WORLDs of GALAXYs?)
- Yoshi gets more action than he did in NSMBWii. GOOD.
- Spring Mario only comes along once or twice. They rather like this news, although I personally liked Springing around.
- Luigi comes along to be playable at only 20 stars, and they hint at another available character when you get the 120... Oh darn it now I'm excited.
- A monkey character known as "The Chimp" who let's you play minigames. Intriguing.
- More 2D bits.
- If you use the Cosmic Guide (the helping feature), the star you obtain is bronze instead of Gold to ETERNALLY SHAME YOU until you get it yourself. Mario also pulls a funny face when he's possessed.
- Throwbacks to older games, especially in the later stages. It warns you not to go on the internet to look for them- The fun is in the surprise. Thus I'll be ignoring you Americans for a while as I wait patiently. :p
- The Bowser stages are reminscent of Super Mario 64's.
- Nothing too revolutionary, and it won't be as amazingly wonderful as SMG first seemed, duh, but it's technically a better game. That's pretty much their only criticism- It's only a minor step up, from an already brilliant game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Has it been confirmed yet whether or not lives are still taken away when you quit the game and return later?[/QUOTE]

I don't know. It seems like they figured it out in NSMBW, but then again, this is Nintendo. However, it didn't really matter in Galaxy since after a while you always got 5 lives just for starting back up from Toad.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't know. It seems like they figured it out in NSMBW, but then again, this is Nintendo. However, it didn't really matter in Galaxy since after a while you always got 5 lives just for starting back up from Toad.[/QUOTE]

It was still annoying. Granted the game was never hard enough to worry about collecting 1-ups. SMG2 sounds like it will be bringing some challenge so hopefully this is something they addressed.

The Starship Mario is the hub, but it's pretty small. You just use it to talk to people and have random fun. The new map system is less complicated than the Comet Observatory.

After playing playing through a couple of different levels in SMG over the past few days. I think this is a good thing. With the starship, I never can remember what galaxies are in what rooms, beyond the first few or so.

Some info for SMG2 was discussed in this week's IGN podcast. An interesting tidbit for Luigi, when you beat a level as him, you unlock a developer time trial ghost to race against.
http://www.nintendoeverything.com/39129/
Super Mario Galaxy 2

- Craig is on the last battle, 105 stars
- Level called the Throwback Galaxy, it’s very cool
- Better than the first
- Game starts off hard
- Craig isn’t considering the original score for his review, he’s reviewing it on its own
- Galaxy 2 doesn’t acknowledge the original, alternate universe
- Going after market Nintendo attracted with New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- Nintendo wants to ween everyone in, you start off in 2D
- The next page allows you to move in and out of the background/foreground, but still side-scrolling
- On third page, full 3D world
- DVD in Japan/Europe
- Many people don’t understand the things we take for granted in gaming, in 20 years that’ll probably be gone
- There are moments in the game that are incredibly challenging
- Collect a Comet Coin in levels that attract a comet
- Craig’s review can’t go up for another week and a half
- Level designs are very creative
- All the “wowing” done in level design
- The Mario Sunshine-like level fell flat compared to everything else, but it still worked and was challenging
- When you’re in World 2, unlock ability to play as Luigi
- When you beat a level as Luigi, you unlock a ghost of the developer’s time trial (like a speed run), play along with the Luigi silhouette
- Each galaxy is completely different (2-4 for each)
- 6 worlds
- Each world has 8 or so galaxies
- Some really great, challenging gameplay
- One task is that you have to get combos by stomping Goombas, get 10,000 points
- Many boss battles
- Craig really likes what Nintendo did with Bowser, he’s super huge
- Adorable armadillo boss fight, you have to hit it as Rock Mario, kind of like a gladiator battle
- Amazing music
- Orchestra is back
- More orchestral music than MIDI pieces this time around
- Maybe 1 or 2 pieces Craig isn’t a fan of, but many great ones
- Throwback tunes
- Yoshi does a doggie paddle while swimming
- Craig hasn’t had the camera screw up once
- Every level has attention to camera
- Not as much freedom as you did in the first one, but it’s beneficial
- Play bowling with Rock Mario in a few levels
- Can’t jump on clouds as regular Mario
- There is an amazing boss battle that uses Cloud Mario

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't know. It seems like they figured it out in NSMBW, but then again, this is Nintendo. However, it didn't really matter in Galaxy since after a while you always got 5 lives just for starting back up from Toad.[/QUOTE]
It's just the sign that they had no clue how to balance the game for difficulty, so instead of making levels harder as you got further into the game, they just punished the player for doing what the series has conditioned them to do. They might as well have removed lives altogether to save themselves and the players the hassle of collecting them.

bread's done
Back