Super Mario Galaxy 2 - New Trailer! - Out now

I found Super Mario Galaxy to be quite easy, I mean sure to get the 60 stars (which is what I did..).

So I'm kind of scared to make this a full-price purchase, will it be worth it? I bet it will be, but I kind of want to get New Super Mario Bros as well. :/

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I found Super Mario Galaxy to be quite easy, I mean sure to get the 60 stars (which is what I did..).

So I'm kind of scared to make this a full-price purchase, will it be worth it? I bet it will be, but I kind of want to get New Super Mario Bros as well. :/[/QUOTE]

Buy from Amazon, then use the $20 credit to get New Super Mario Bros?

$49.99 (for SMG2) + $38.xx (whatever the current price of NSMB is) - $20

No tax and free shipping.

True, true. I also have a 10 dollar off credit, so may as well, lol. So, around 59 dollars for 2 Nintendo games. Good deal!

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I found Super Mario Galaxy to be quite easy, I mean sure to get the 60 stars (which is what I did..).

So I'm kind of scared to make this a full-price purchase, will it be worth it? I bet it will be, but I kind of want to get New Super Mario Bros as well. :/[/QUOTE]

If you've got a K-Mart around you, they are giving a $30 instant use coupon with Super Mario Galaxy 2 on certain Wii games, one of them being New Super Mario Bros (which will also be on sale for $44.99, effectively making it $14.99).

Really shocked that IGN gave it a 10. The only games in the last few years that got 10s from them were MGS4 and GTA4.

[quote name='robpe36']Really shocked that IGN gave it a 10. The only games in the last few years that got 10s from them were MGS4 and GTA4.[/QUOTE]

I am so excited!!!!!!! :D:D:D

IGN gave it a perfect 10. That's saying a lot considering they don't give many games that... I want it to say the least. I wish I had a K-Mart I would get this and Mario Kart Wii. =/

Some people on the Internets are playing it now.

I want in. 2 hours before I leave until Sunday.

FFUUU

edit: Doesn't seem to be any new system updates / copy protection. Actual disc size is 1.3 GB, compared to SMG1's 3.2 GB. Considering they both have 120+ stars, Nintendo is either magic or reusing a lot of content.

[quote name='Doomed']Some people on the Internets are playing it now.

I want in. 2 hours before I leave until Sunday.

FFUUU

edit: Doesn't seem to be any new system updates / copy protection. Actual disc size is 1.3 GB, compared to SMG1's 3.2 GB. Considering they both have 120+ stars, Nintendo is either magic or reusing a lot of content.[/QUOTE]

Maybe new compression techniques? 2007 to 2010?

That or they are using the content, like you said better by reusing/repurposing.

I love that Gamestop has not yet forced all the local mom & pop stores to close around here. Instead of going to some ridiculous invite from Nintendo on Saturday night to play the game, I'll just open it now thanks to my local shop.

[quote name='Doomed']
edit: Doesn't seem to be any new system updates / copy protection. Actual disc size is 1.3 GB, compared to SMG1's 3.2 GB. Considering they both have 120+ stars, Nintendo is either magic or reusing a lot of content.[/QUOTE]

Wait, even if they're "reusing" the content, it'd still have to be on the disc, unless it asks you to put the first disc in.

Magic all the way, d00d.

[quote name='Vinny']The review scores this game is getting are insane... I knew they would be good but not THAT good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, crazy good. SMG2 coming out only five days later than Red Dead Redemption and Alan Wake is pure insanity. Surely three of the best games this year, and all released so close together.

Doesn't seem to be any new system updates / copy protection. Actual disc size is 1.3 GB, compared to SMG1's 3.2 GB. Considering they both have 120+ stars, Nintendo is either magic or reusing a lot of content.
The actual file can't be 1.3 GB, that's just how well they compressed it. All Wii games have to be an exact number of bytes (something along the lines of 4.6GB).

I have a few games coming, but this one is getting priority. (Brutal Legend, Fable 2, NSMBWii, galaxy 2, and possibly one more with the Amazon credit from NSMBWii)

I can't wait for this to come, unfortunately probably not until Wednesday :(

[quote name='RchrdJ']The actual file can't be 1.3 GB, that's just how well they compressed it. All Wii games have to be an exact number of bytes (something along the lines of 4.6GB).[/QUOTE]

Yep. Wii discs are often full of junk data in order to be that size.

So is Wal-Mart the only place doing a midnight launch then (by default, since they are open 24 hours)?

Kind of shocked Gamestop isn't doing one, but IIRC they never seem to do one for Nintendo's games, and I'm fairly sure SMG 2 qualifies in terms of preorder numbers.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I already have this game payed off but I havent even bought Wii yet lol[/QUOTE]

The only flaw in your plan!

[quote name='SuperPhillip']The only flaw in your plan![/QUOTE]

EDIT my earlier post , I havent fully paid it off yet. I still owe amazon $3.40 after all my game credit ;)

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']EDIT my earlier post , I havent fully paid it off yet. I still owe amazon $3.40 after all my game credit ;)[/QUOTE]

You better pay that off quick, or else they'll send their Amazon goons to break your knees.

Can't wait for this. I pre-ordered mine, so I won't get mine Sunday... but that's okay, since I'll be watching the last two episodes of Lost anyway. This game's gotten a crap load of perfect scores so far. :D

I preordered the game on gamestop.com for the $20 bonus credit but I really want to play the game tomorrow. Would it be wrong if I went to GS tomorrow and bought a copy, then returned the copy that I preordered when it comes in the mail?

[quote name='n4styn4t3']I preordered the game on gamestop.com for the $20 bonus credit but I really want to play the game tomorrow. Would it be wrong if I went to GS tomorrow and bought a copy, then returned the copy that I preordered when it comes in the mail?[/QUOTE]

Unethical and probably illegal...

DO IT. :lol:

Amazon shipped my copy. It's coming via FSSS though, so who knows when it will show up lol. The last few orders via FSSS have taken a week or so.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']I preordered the game on gamestop.com for the $20 bonus credit but I really want to play the game tomorrow. Would it be wrong if I went to GS tomorrow and bought a copy, then returned the copy that I preordered when it comes in the mail?[/QUOTE]

No. You're getting the game from them either way.

[quote name='xycury']Maybe new compression techniques? 2007 to 2010?

That or they are using the content, like you said better by reusing/repurposing.[/QUOTE]
Some clarification on the disc size issue:

All single layer Wii games are 4.3 GB. All games are not 4.3GB, so to make the games at the factory the disc has a marked stopping point, and after that it's random data.

You can compute the real size of the game by ignoring everything after the end of the game data. Examples:

AC:CF - 300MB
Wii Play - 100MB
Twilight Princess - 1.2 GB
De Blob - 2 GB

Good games can be big or small. Super Mario World is far smaller than a Wii disc, but far better than Carnival Games.

Whatever magic technique Nintendo used, SMG2 is more than 50% smaller than SMG1. It could just be many of the textures are used in a bunch of levels. I don't know.

This game is hard, and Yoshi is annoying.

I assume all of you are playing right now, lol. I wish I had pre-ordered, but I'm going to have to wait out on the fun. I've been seeing Perfect scores from many websites and that's pretty impressive.

This game is awesome! I got it late last night/ early this morning. So far I have 22 stars and I hope to finish it off today and have a review published late tonight.

really looking forward to this game, but found out just a moment ago that my preorder was backordered on gamestop.com. I ordered 4/29. You might want to check if you ordered online with them. Now I got to figure out if I want to cancel my order and pay more somewhere else to get it earlier. Maybe I'll wait it out but this game looks awesome.

EDIT: ok now that I've looked into it further don't think it's really backordered as you can still order it on the site. Think the issue is it is "backordered" because they don't ship on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
My copy from Amazon shipped today, along with the guide which shipped out Friday. Should have it by Wednesday/Thursday if the shipping is normal.

36 stars in, almost ready for world 5. I'm really enjoying it, but I've played a little too much. Need to take a break for a while.

I wish it was released Tuesday like most games. I know Nintendo releases them on Sunday. I don't get any money until tomorrow. I'm hoping the 20 dollar amazon credit is still going on tomorrow,but I really doubt it is. I wish I had a K-Mart that deal is even better. =/

Snagged this game by trading in three crappy $10 games I bought at Walmart & Best Buy. Played it for about 4 hours so far today.

My four year old daughter loves playing this game with me. She collects the starbits and coins for me. She also likes to spin to break the large crystals. It's a little hard for her when I am running around full speed, but luckily there is no timer, so I can stop once in a while to let her round up a group of coins with "cupcake" (what she named the luma).

Played some earlier today. Hightail Falls is a pain, but the music for that particular level made me grin quite widely.

bread's done
Back