Super Paper Mario footage (GDC)

Looks good, but I'm trying to figure out how confusing parts of it can be.

Specifically, when you go 3D, the pit disappears that was in the 2D view. So what happens if I switch back and I'm standing on nothing? I think I saw Mario able to jump to avoid falling, but still.

And I am more on board at launch than I was last time I was on board at launch.

As far as that pit, you could see in 3D that there were indents on both sides of the ground there. So what that means as far as being there when you switch back to 2D, I'm not entirely sure.

Yeah, that's my point - why can't the pit extend all the way through? I can't think of a reason why it can't.

Let us never mind the metaphysical discussions upon why it exists in one plane and not another.

It looks cool in 2D but kind of stupid in 3D. Why are the levels so linear? It would have been much cooler if the world switched to 3D and you were actually in a 3D space like SM64 - not a long corridor. I don't know how they would have implemented it but it's not my job to figure stuff like that out...

Cool stuff. Hopefully there will a trade in deal for this one so I can get it on the cheap(er). I'll pay full price, though, so that's not a worry.

[quote name='javeryh']It looks cool in 2D but kind of stupid in 3D. Why are the levels so linear? It would have been much cooler if the world switched to 3D and you were actually in a 3D space like SM64 - not a long corridor. I don't know how they would have implemented it but it's not my job to figure stuff like that out...[/quote]It's really remaining a 2D side-scroller. The 3D element is just added to get around parts of the 2D world.

[quote name='javeryh']It looks cool in 2D but kind of stupid in 3D. Why are the levels so linear? It would have been much cooler if the world switched to 3D and you were actually in a 3D space like SM64 - not a long corridor. I don't know how they would have implemented it but it's not my job to figure stuff like that out...[/QUOTE]

Javery, it's fun watching you become more and more disappointed with Nintendo by the day! :D

[quote name='javeryh']It looks cool in 2D but kind of stupid in 3D. Why are the levels so linear? It would have been much cooler if the world switched to 3D and you were actually in a 3D space like SM64 - not a long corridor. I don't know how they would have implemented it but it's not my job to figure stuff like that out...[/QUOTE]

Yeah. When Homer turned 3D, he still looked fat.

Wtf Matt Groening.

:p

[quote name='Strell']Yeah. When Homer turned 3D, he still looked fat.

Wtf Matt Groening.

:p[/QUOTE]

I hope there are an assortment of erotic cakes in Super Paper Mario.

[quote name='munch']Javery, it's fun watching you become more and more disappointed with Nintendo by the day! :D[/quote]

I know! WTF!?!? I've noticed that too - I used to be such a Nintendo fanboy but lately I don't know what they are smoking. It seems I'm getting more and more bitter towards them as time goes on.

[quote name='Strell']DID ANYBODY SEE THE MOVIE "TRON?" [/QUOTE]

Wasnt that the movie where the city let the big horse inside that was concealing forces for the enemy?

It looks great, I can't wait for it. It inspired me to finish Paper Mario 2, which I've put almost 20 hours into over the past week.

Yay! Ill acctually play this one. I thought the Original Paper Mario wasnt turned based when I got it. Once I figured it out, I stopped playing. I hate turn base...especially in a mario game...

That pit thing that strell brought up was a good point...

Thats kind of stupid.

I can get past the pit thing. This game looks awesome! I'll still wait for reviews before purchasing, but it definately looks like a must buy...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Now Crush doesn't seem that original. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

No way. I still want Crush. I'm sure it's going to do things differently.

It almost wants me to preorder it, almost. Seeing how easily I got sonic though, I am not going to bother but I am getting it if not at launch due to school schedule, sometime thereafter. Looks really sick.

Wow this game looks really awesome...way more than before. At first I was disappointed with the 3D and 2D view thing and the RPG battle type ... battles :p, gone...but now it looks really cool. Can't wait...bet it'll be the best paper mario yet.

[quote name='Strell']Looks good, but I'm trying to figure out how confusing parts of it can be.

Specifically, when you go 3D, the pit disappears that was in the 2D view. So what happens if I switch back and I'm standing on nothing? I think I saw Mario able to jump to avoid falling, but still.[/quote]
I'm not sure what pit you're refering to and what's confusing about it.

[quote name='Strell']No way. I still want Crush. I'm sure it's going to do things differently.[/quote]
I do, too, but it's interesting to see essentially the same concept with two different approaches. One being to turn 2D platforming into 3D to get around obstacles while the other is more of a puzzle, where you have separate platforms that you figure out how to crush so you can traverse long gaps and solve puzzles.

In the clip, when it goes 3D, the pit "disappears" somewhat. There's indentations on the sides that indicate where it is, but Mario can walk across it as if it isn't there.

If he were standing there and went 2D, he'd be standing over a pit.

The thing that bugs me the most about it is that in 2D, there's no question there's a pit there - the screen shows a definite green ground area that ends abruptly, replaced with the blue sky background.

But in 3D, it's suddenly cohesive land.

I would rather the pit still be there, and you'd still have to jump over it. Kinda like the old Crash Bandicoot games that were sort of pseudo 3D-on-rails-moving-away-from-the-player stuff.

Another example is the pipes - they are on different planes in 3D, which is fine. But I could swear I saw Mario switch to 3D while he was on one, and suddenly he was no longer on it.

Point being that I can see some people dying in areas they don't mean to due to inconsistent geography.

[quote name='foltzie']Wasnt that the movie where the city let the big horse inside that was concealing forces for the enemy?[/quote]

:rofl::rofl:

[quote name='Strell']In the clip, when it goes 3D, the pit "disappears" somewhat. There's indentations on the sides that indicate where it is, but Mario can walk across it as if it isn't there.

If he were standing there and went 2D, he'd be standing over a pit.

The thing that bugs me the most about it is that in 2D, there's no question there's a pit there - the screen shows a definite green ground area that ends abruptly, replaced with the blue sky background.

But in 3D, it's suddenly cohesive land.

I would rather the pit still be there, and you'd still have to jump over it. Kinda like the old Crash Bandicoot games that were sort of pseudo 3D-on-rails-moving-away-from-the-player stuff.

Another example is the pipes - they are on different planes in 3D, which is fine. But I could swear I saw Mario switch to 3D while he was on one, and suddenly he was no longer on it.

Point being that I can see some people dying in areas they don't mean to due to inconsistent geography.[/quote]
I see what you're talking about, the pit at the beginning. I think it's maybe done like that to accomodate for a little lack of depth when you turn everything 3D. That's one thing I noticed in all the videos is that it's kind of hard to judge depth when in 3D. They should make the indentation a little more obvious for that though, so that you get the idea that that's not a good place to switch dimensions.

The pipe thing is a result of, when in 2D, being on a certain plane that's pretty much the middle of the path whenever you turn 3D, and since that pipe's not at the same plane in 3D, you end up at the same height as the pipe just off of it. As long as they give you a second to quickly jump onto the pipe, it doesn't seem like that much of a problem.

Ehh. Then I'd like for the engine to be smart enough to think "ok, if he's on the pipe in 2D, when he goes 3D, he's still on it," and adjust for that accordingly.

Oh well. Can't have everything.

[quote name='javeryh']It looks cool in 2D but kind of stupid in 3D.[/QUOTE]
I agree. Though I like the 3D shoebox diorama look, I don't like it when flipping between the 2D and 3D. I guess we shouldn't expect too much out of a GC port. :bouncy:

I would have only been half kidding with that "GC port" crack back in Nov 06, but after seeing the release schedule for Q2 and knowing what we do about anticipated Q3 titles, I'm not kidding at all.

Back to SPM, the 2D view looks very nice. I'd love to tear through a platformer with those 2D graphics alone and the classic controller, provided the level design was up to par. I'm crossing my fingers hoping that I don't have to use motion control to get Mario to jump in SPM.

[quote name='Strell']Ehh. Then I'd like for the engine to be smart enough to think "ok, if he's on the pipe in 2D, when he goes 3D, he's still on it," and adjust for that accordingly.

Oh well. Can't have everything.[/quote]
Switching between 2D and 3D isn't good enough for ya? :lol:

Oh c'mon. How hard could it be?

if_onpipe = true

:p

Actually I know shit about programming so I really have no idea.

I wonder if that 'vanishing' pit/gap is a something that happens consistently throughout the game. Assuming that it's intentional, I wonder what the reasoning behind the design choice was. Oh well, not exactly a 'dealbreaker'.

[quote name='jollydwarf']I wonder if that 'vanishing' pit/gap is a something that happens consistently throughout the game. Assuming that it's intentional, I wonder what the reasoning behind the design choice was. Oh well, not exactly a 'dealbreaker'.[/QUOTE]

YES IT IS! I HATE NINTENDO NOW!

[quote name='jollydwarf']I wonder if that 'vanishing' pit/gap is a something that happens consistently throughout the game. Assuming that it's intentional, I wonder what the reasoning behind the design choice was. Oh well, not exactly a 'dealbreaker'.[/quote]There are plenty of other images showing pits in the 3D view. Who knows, maybe the "pit" in the video is just a sky-colored bit of land.

[quote name='dothog']Back to SPM, the 2D view looks very nice. I'd love to tear through a platformer with those 2D graphics alone and the classic controller, provided the level design was up to par. I'm crossing my fingers hoping that I don't have to use motion control to get Mario to jump in SPM.[/quote]

I know that I have read somewhere that you hold the Wiimote like an NES controller, the 1 and 2 buttons are used for boost and jump, and the A button is used for changing the perspective. The only motion control I have heard of so far is pointing the Wiimote at the butterfly that follows Mario to "spotlight" certain items and shaking the Wiimote during an attack to do a flourish move (similar to the flourishes in the Paper Mario games).

Actually this press release has a lot of info about the game and the controls:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=13199

Wow, I posted a lot just to answer your question which is no, you don't flick the remote to jump, you just press the 1 or 2 button.

I hate to rain on the parade here, but I must admit that I'm a little concerned with regards to controls. It looks VERY loose which is generally something I hate in platforming games. I understand this is a mashup with the Paper Mario RPG elements so a slip here or there wont kill you, but I'm concerned that I'm going to expect NSMB and get MC Kids.

[quote name='foltzie']I hate to rain on the parade here, but I must admit that I'm a little concerned with regards to controls. It looks VERY loose which is generally something I hate in platforming games. I understand this is a mashup with the Paper Mario RPG elements so a slip here or there wont kill you, but I'm concerned that I'm going to expect NSMB and get MC Kids.[/quote]

I think it's kind of early to judge the game based on 4 minute (at max) videos that have been posted, but if you are expecting a traditional platformer, you are not going to like it.

The game is basically an action RPG with the action being the platforming. Falling in a hole will not kill you, it will result in losing a hitpoint (or more). Traditional platforming norms are not going to be followed in this game.

As far as the difficulty, I didn't find Paper Mario 2 to be extremely easy, but as long as the game is fun, I could care less how easy or hard it is.

[quote name='lebowsky']I know that I have read somewhere that you hold the Wiimote like an NES controller, the 1 and 2 buttons are used for boost and jump, and the A button is used for changing the perspective. The only motion control I have heard of so far is pointing the Wiimote at the butterfly that follows Mario to "spotlight" certain items and shaking the Wiimote during an attack to do a flourish move (similar to the flourishes in the Paper Mario games).

Actually this press release has a lot of info about the game and the controls:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=13199

Wow, I posted a lot just to answer your question which is no, you don't flick the remote to jump, you just press the 1 or 2 button.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the response, sir. Despite a few niggling concerns, I'm excited about this game. Merging the platformer with action rpg ain't a bad idea. I hope it turns out okay.

[quote name='lebowsky']I think it's kind of early to judge the game based on 4 minute (at max) videos that have been posted, but if you are expecting a traditional platformer, you are not going to like it.

The game is basically an action RPG with the action being the platforming. Falling in a hole will not kill you, it will result in losing a hitpoint (or more). Traditional platforming norms are not going to be followed in this game.

As far as the difficulty, I didn't find Paper Mario 2 to be extremely easy, but as long as the game is fun, I could care less how easy or hard it is.[/QUOTE]

I agree its early to judge, but thats what we all are doing with this thread, for the positive or negative.

I hope to enjoy the game and since I enjoyed Super Mario RPG, M&L SS, and M&L PiT, but I have concerns as I mentioned above.

A friend of mine played it a bit at GDC and said that he thought the controls were great and that it was a must buy. He'll be back at work on Monday, so I will bug him for more info and post what I find out from him

Looks awesome. SMRPG for the SNES is still my favorite game of all time, and I love the 2 handhelds Mario RPGs and the first Paper Mario- still have to play the second one.

This isn't quite the same type of game, but it looks so unique, and I love the Paper Mario universe.

Can't wait!!

I hope the perspective shift is used in more unique ways than simply "rotate the view so you can go around the pipe that's too tall to jump over."

Still looking forward to it though.

bread's done
Back