Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

Since Fire Emblem: PoR is getting its nod in SSBB I hope they have a couple of Assist trophies like I dunno...Mist as a healing Assist or Tit-ania (dash intentional) riding through the stage on horseback trampling enemies. Hell I'd love to see Greil or Boyd as playable characters.

Hmm, i hope they've extensively tested that "steady" state for those certain big character moves. Sure the bigger characters are huge. But they're not all that slow. Besides, Link was the slowest character in Melee, and he did fine in tier rankings (but that's prolly taking into account his actual moveset as well). They usually have knockback and range to make up for it. Not to forget generally better crouch cancel (with the exception of Samus being the most effective CCer).

What'd be scary is a DK that can eat jabs. There'd be no stopping his attack. I mean, he's already top tier in Japan. However, I'd think this'd do good to boost Bowser up the ranks.

Now online... We'll just have to wait and see...

[quote name='halu102']Hmm, i hope they've extensively tested that "steady" state for those certain big character moves. Sure the bigger characters are huge. But they're not all that slow. Besides, Link was the slowest character in Melee, and he did fine in tier rankings (but that's prolly taking into account his actual moveset as well). They usually have knockback and range to make up for it. Not to forget generally better crouch cancel (with the exception of Samus being the most effective CCer).

What'd be scary is a DK that can eat jabs. There'd be no stopping his attack. I mean, he's already top tier in Japan. However, I'd think this'd do good to boost Bowser up the ranks.

Now online... We'll just have to wait and see...[/QUOTE]

Why is DK top tier in Japan? There's no game play differences between the Japanese and American releases, right?

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Why is DK top tier in Japan? There's no game play differences between the Japanese and American releases, right?[/quote]Yeah, I have no idea what's he's talking about.

DK is top tier nowhere.

The Kid Icarus music sounds amazing. Sent shivers with its nostalgia.

Edit: The more I listen to it, the more I lament that there have only been two Kid Icarus games. It absolutely deserves a sequel on the Wii. They could honestly remake both games into one with 3D models in a 2D setup, and I'd buy it in a second.

[quote name='Strell']Edit: The more I listen to it, the more I lament that there have only been two Kid Icarus games. It absolutely deserves a sequel on the Wii. They could honestly remake both games into one with 3D models in a 2D setup, and I'd buy it in a second.[/QUOTE]
Kid Icarus seems perfectly suited for the DS, with the whole vertical screen. I think 3D models against a 2D backdrop (a la New Super Mario Bros.) might work fantastically. I don't think a strict remake would work since Kid Icarus is severely outdated in many ways, but something even more in the Metroid vein could work nicely. It seems there's great untapped potential on the DS with Nintendo bringing back some of those old franchises. Actually, with all the old 8-bit companies bringing titles back.

[quote name='elwood731']Kid Icarus seems perfectly suited for the DS, with the whole vertical screen. I think 3D models against a 2D backdrop (a la New Super Mario Bros.) might work fantastically. I don't think a strict remake would work since Kid Icarus is severely outdated in many ways, but something even more in the Metroid vein could work nicely. It seems there's great untapped potential on the DS with Nintendo bringing back some of those old franchises. Actually, with all the old 8-bit companies bringing titles back.[/quote]They can certainly do it for DS, but since they already have the 3D character model on the Wii, might as well just get it done.

I bet we'll see a Kid Icarus game soon.

I said this to DMK before, I see a lot of Kid Icarus love on varous boards, but I wonder how many actually played it back in the day.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Whys everyone so in love with Kid Iccarus all of the sudden?[/quote]

There's been a Kid Icarus cult for a long time. It's always been kind of a mystery why Kid Icarus, which came out at the exact same time as the original Metroid, got pretty much dropped by Nintendo (except for a GB sequel), while Metroid blew up. It's a great, distinct IP, and the original game was much beloved. Yet Pit didn't show up in the first two Smash Bros. games, nor anywhere else.

I think a 3D Kid Icarus could work. You could do it like God of War....for kids. ;)

They could slap Kid Icarus in the Zelda engine, add in some flying and platforming, movement while using the bow and arrow, then you got yourself a stew going.

Then plug the Ice Climbers in the Project HAMMER engine, because that would be hilarious.

God, KI was too fucking hard. Still fun, though, and I guess I can understand the following. Seems a shame that Nintendo dropped it, though. :whistle2:k

I never played Kid Icarus as a kid, so it's got no nostalgic value for me. Personally, I find the theme kind of grating (especially with the Grim Reaper music), especially after hearing it over and over again when my fiance was trying to beat it on the VC. The Smash version is okay, but the theme just isn't as catchy or timeless as, say, the Mario theme, IMO.

^I haven't played KI either. And I thought he was only popular in Europe... I suppose not.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Why is DK top tier in Japan? There's no game play differences between the Japanese and American releases, right?[/QUOTE]

Tiers are generally based off tournament results not necessarily game stats exclusively. And in Japan DK does good for some strange reason...

DK being top tier... it's a joke. But seriously, DK is good enough to rape Fox and Falco which are top tier here in the U.S. Thing is, he is obviously overshadowed by the more popular characters (i.e. Fox, Shiek, Marth etc.)

And there are a couple differences between the PAL and NTSC versions. But yes, you're right, no difference between the Japanese and American version because they are both NTSC. Just too lazy to list all differences between PAL and NTSC. Some are minor and some even change some of the gameplay. (referring to melee)

Here's an old video of DK (no, it's not RickRoll). But DK at least has an edge over the currently top two tier characters (Fox & Falco) in the U.S. DK may be lacking speed, but his range (priority) and power shouldn't be easily over looked.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I never played Kid Icarus as a kid, so it's got no nostalgic value for me. Personally, I find the theme kind of grating (especially with the Grim Reaper music), especially after hearing it over and over again when my fiance was trying to beat it on the VC. The Smash version is okay, but the theme just isn't as catchy or timeless as, say, the Mario theme, IMO.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing though. When you first played KI when it was released, you get about halfway up the level and see this Grim Reaper monster. And you're thinking he's a total badass because he's death incarnate and you're some bowl-cut cherub wearing a skirt.

So you trudge forward to take on this soul killer, and the motherhucka starts running around screaming, his hands pulling down his hood like a bonnet, parading around in a nervous anxiety best exemplified by Tom and Jerry cartoons whenever the wife or maid saw the mouse.

It was hilarious, a true WTF moment in gaming if there ever was one.

This is just one of the reasons KI is ranked so high in a gamer's heart like mine, because that isn't even the only instance of WTF-ness in the game.

Later on you found the Egglant Wizards, who turned you into a daaaaaayummn eggplant.

Also, halu - that video is some primo Donkey Kongin'. I wish I was down with the DK that like guy is.

[quote name='Strell']That's the thing though. When you first played KI when it was released, you get about halfway up the level and see this Grim Reaper monster. And you're thinking he's a total badass because he's death incarnate and you're some bowl-cut cherub wearing a skirt.

So you trudge forward to take on this soul killer, and the motherhucka starts running around screaming, his hands pulling down his hood like a bonnet, parading around in a nervous anxiety best exemplified by Tom and Jerry cartoons whenever the wife or maid saw the mouse.

It was hilarious, a true WTF moment in gaming if there ever was one.

This is just one of the reasons KI is ranked so high in a gamer's heart like mine, because that isn't even the only instance of WTF-ness in the game.

Later on you found the Egglant Wizards, who turned you into a daaaaaayummn eggplant.

Also, halu - that video is some primo Donkey Kongin'. I wish I was down with the DK that like guy is.[/quote]So true.

[quote name='Strell']That's the thing though. When you first played KI when it was released, you get about halfway up the level and see this Grim Reaper monster. And you're thinking he's a total badass because he's death incarnate and you're some bowl-cut cherub wearing a skirt.

It was hilarious, a true WTF moment in gaming if there ever was one.[/QUOTE]I did witness this WTF moment, except instead of being six like my fiance was when he first saw it, I was 25... so, you know, the impact isn't quite the same. I did find it hilarious to hear this music in the background followed by vulgarities spouting out of his mouth. (I guess he doesn't deal well with those mini-reapers.)

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I did witness this WTF moment, except instead of being six like my fiance was when he first saw it, I was 25... so, you know, the impact isn't quite the same. I did find it hilarious to hear this music in the background followed by vulgarities spouting out of his mouth. (I guess he doesn't deal well with those mini-reapers.)[/QUOTE]

That was the point entirely I'm highlighting.

And no one deals well with the mini-reapers. Those things were brutal and tended to pop up at THE WORST time in a level.

I forgot to mention that your merriment at this raving loon of Hell was quickly replaced with OMFG WHERE DID THOSE THINGS COME FROM

Damn, that Dk video almost makes me wanna play as DK again. Almost. I could never get his chain grabs down pat, so I moved on to other characters. Mewtwo, Doc, and Peach are now the characters I use. A Trio of Terror, if you will.

This KI game is starting to sound interesting. Oh and did "WTF" exist back then? I've gotta check this game out.

Yeah, that DK still amazes me after 3 years. That's one thing I like about Smash Bros., the fact that no matter which character you take up, there's always a chance to win... except for Pichu... no one likes that electrified mouse. The road to glory is not set in stone and that there could be numerous ways to go about it. Kinda makes me wish there were no such things as tiers though.

[quote name='halu102']This KI game is starting to sound interesting. Oh and did "WTF" exist back then? I've gotta check this game out.

Yeah, that DK still amazes me after 3 years. That's one thing I like about Smash Bros., the fact that no matter which character you take up, there's always a chance to win... except for Pichu... no one likes that electrified mouse. The road to glory is not set in stone and that there could be numerous ways to go about it. Kinda makes me wish there were no such things as tiers though.[/quote]Oh, of course. Even though my Mewtwo gets slaughtered by your average Falco, there's always a chance I can sneak in a grab and just start going to town. In fact, it was this guy who partially inspired me to use Mewtwo.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=yd1FFTsecW4[/media]

^HAHA. That's is definitely one of my favorite SSBM vids ever. Taj is simply a beast, I just don't understand how he plays with Mewtwo. I bet he can even make Mewtwo top tier by himself.

I don't get it, either. He's way too good with Mewtwo. I can barely do most of the things he does in that vid, and with a lot less class.

Now that makes me wonder whether Mewtwo will be in Brawl. Deoxys became just a normal pokeball pokemon, will Mewtwo follow suite? I'm just really curious what Sakurai will do with all the "unpopular" characters of Melee. Who knows, there could be a cult out there worshipping Mewtwo in real life.

I don't know how popular Mewtwo is, but he's definetely an "icon," if you will. People still can remember the first time they managed to catch this broken behemoth in the first pokemon games, so it wouldn't surprise me if he made a triumphant return.

[quote name='halu102']there's always a chance to win... except for Pichu... no one likes that electrified mouse.[/quote]

I like playing as Pichu.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']I don't know how popular Mewtwo is, but he's definetely an "icon," if you will. People still can remember the first time they managed to catch this broken behemoth in the first pokemon games, so it wouldn't surprise me if he made a triumphant return.[/quote]
I think you're right. I still remember catching MewTwo in Red, and I'm pretty sure they wont cut him from Brawl.

The Kid Icarus music is great. The game itself had some problems(mainly the cheap deaths through falling), but they were all pretty much corrected for the GB sequal(which is easily one of my favorite GB games ever... I have lots of great memories of playing through this one on the old grey brick). So yeah, it really is a mystery why the series never took off like Metroid or Zelda did.

All the Kid this week really makes me want to buy the VC version and relive my childhood. Damn you Nintendo and your ability to persuade me to buy things I don't need.

I dunno, Im not very impressed at the final smash, it looks pretty much like that one pokemon assist. Hopefully it will turn out better in the game.

I dunno, I was a big fan of Beedrill/Unown in the past games, so this one might be kinda awesome. Especially if the deity hits someone, too, although I'm not sure that was specified.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']I dunno, I was a big fan of Beedrill/Unown in the past games, so this one might be kinda awesome. Especially if the deity hits someone, too, although I'm not sure that was specified.[/quote]

I believe she just flashes her tits.

I think Pit's Final Smash is really underwhelming. You start off with this grand entrance of the Godess then it turns into an Unown attack basically, but with fewer numbers it seems. They didn't die with one attack in the game, they died when they were hit. But, whatever.

Prediction for today: Something about a Game Mode.

bread's done
Back