Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Nohbdy']Online play was confirmed last year when the game was announced. I don't see how everyone forgot.[/quote]
"My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that," added Sakurai.
Planned, yes. Confirmed, no. That' s from last year's E3.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

@DMK: what do you mean by "competitive grade"?

If there is an online, I doubt competitve gaming will take advantage of that. All the major competitve gaming events are still usually done offline (LAN), even if they are "online" games.

And I have never really heard of "competitive gaming online" except for maybe CAL (which usually plays the last brackets offline). Sure it may be "competitive" and you wanna beat the shit out of people you've never seen before, but I see it as more along the lines of just random match making. Pretty much a competition of egos is all it boils down to... not that it is bad or anything.

I doubt the format of offline tournaments for games will change, at least for a while. Online and competition can be redundant, since the main purpose of online gaming is to pit people against each other. But I don't see the online scene going the "professional" route anytime soon.

What I mean is that there is the threat of the core or offline game being tweaked to make it work online better. Lets say you take whatever the frame window is for L-canceling - Maybe online that gets messy, so you make the window larger. Little things like that. Because of the opaqueness of the development, its impossible to know what sort of decisions were made by looking at the end product.

There are no fighting games that are online out of the box that are competitive OFFLINE.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']There are no fighting games that are online out of the box that are competitive OFFLINE.[/quote]I'm sure VF5 (360), SC4, and Tekken 6 will change that.

VF5 cant, since it was built offline first, between the PS3 and arcades. SC4 and Tekken 6 can, pending any prior arcade releases.

Hell, they dont even play SC3 competitively anymore, and its not even online, but it didnt have arcade testing.

I doubt games are altered when put into through the online aspect. It really doesn't make sense to increase the window of a certain action because of lag. If that were the case one would have to increase everything else making the game slow or heaven forbid take away critical frames from other actions.

Online games most likely have some sort of interpolation to compensate for any lag that gets by the certain rates set by the game/system/server. But knowing Nintendo and their horrible online play, or lack thereof, I'm very skeptical about the quality of Brawl going online, if it ever will. It's definitely possible to make a great online experience, but sometimes lag can get the better of us despite great online systems/games.

btw, SC3 was horrible.

Also, a game made offline with no thought of ever going online can still be played over the intarweb. Look at roms/homebrew, some emulators allow online play. Even Melee could be played online, but it's not as straightforward, and crazy shit happens.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=L-BThuPwqe0[/MEDIA]

[quote name='Tybee']Wow...Welcome to reply #597.[/quote]
OMG! I'm not trolling the board all day so I couldn't reply right away to a post! How foolish of me! Damn my job! My apologies, King Douche. It shall not happen again.

[quote name='Plinko']OMG! I'm not trolling the board all day so I couldn't reply right away to a post! How foolish of me! Damn my job! My apologies, King Douche. It shall not happen again.[/QUOTE]

overreact much? take the correction, try not to let it wound your inner child.

and Von Kaiser should be a character in Brawl. that guy was cool.

[quote name='Apossum']overreact much? take the correction, try not to let it wound your inner child.

and Von Kaiser should be a character in Brawl. that guy was cool.[/quote]

And just what was the correction?

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Wow. I wonder what this means for people who wanted single pokemon as playable characters (like me)?[/quote]

They threw you a partial bone, I suppose.

So I guess its a 3 formed Zelda/Sheik, the stamina meter might cause some problems as with the returning and calling out of the Pokemon, and I wonder if you can be female or not.

EDIT: looks like Pokemon Stadium level revealed, I expect that to be tomorrows update

Is that the latest Ash Ketchum design (clothes/hat)?

Just curious, because I would have rather he be called Ash Ketchum.

I know why they would put Pokemon Trainer, but then, they should also have a girl trainer too (like the games). ;)

That is sooo fucking awesome! Thats seriously like a dream come true. They could make that a whole game in itself if they wanted to make a Pokemon fighting game.

[quote name='zerowing']So I guess its a 3 formed Zelda/Sheik.[/quote]Actually, that was kinda how I envisioned Deoxys to play as (except with his forms switching). Of course, this was before he was revealed as a pokeball exclusive.

Painfully obvious that they're going to have their own move sets, but I can't help but wonder what Ivysaur's up+b is going to be. Noing Nintendo, they might follow suit from the anime, and make Squirtle's be Hydro Pump, because Squirtle was able to gain height when he did it in the anime. :/

EDIT: From what I saw in the screenshots, it seems like you might be "invincible" while switching.

[quote name='Rig']Is that the latest Ash Ketchum design (clothes/hat)?

I know why they would put Pokemon Trainer, but then, they should also have a girl trainer too (like the games). ;)[/quote]
That's not Ash. That's Red. Red is the trainer from the games who Ash's design is based off of. When FireRed and LeafGreen came out, they redesigned Red and Green to make them look vastly different from Ash and Gary as several people kept confusing them with eachother.

I just thought of something, since they have the name input thing, they should name the Trainer your user name while you're playing. Have a girl trainer available too. Which makes me wonder what his alternate costume will be. I hope they sway away from pallette swaps this time around.

[quote name='Rig']Is that the latest Ash Ketchum design (clothes/hat)?

I know why they would put Pokemon Trainer, but then, they should also have a girl trainer too (like the games). ;)[/quote] Actually its this character: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Red_%28game%29

I just hope we can costume change to the girl, if they do do that I imagine she would look like Red's counterpart: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Leaf_%28game%29

And since they opted for the Generation 3 costumes I think this bumps down the chance for and 4th Gen Pokemon to be involved.

I imagine several options for the Final Smash:
1 A combined attack involving all 3 Pokemon
2 Each Pokemon has their own FS
3 Pokeballs rain from the sky, several Pokemon comeout and attack
4 Mewtwo (or other assorted legendary) comes to the playing field and executes a powerful attack

Of those I figure 2 and 4 to be the most viable. Each of those Pokemon have a powerful move exclusive to starter Pokemon (Blast Burn, Hydro Cannon, Frenzy Plant) which can be used based on which Pokemon got the FS item. Number 4 actually lets them drop Mewtwo from the roster spot, thus creating room for other characters but keeps the fans slightly happy (maybe you can even use Mewtwo for several seconds)

People on Smashboards did bring up some good points about the versitility of the 3 in 1 design, there is a lightweight, middleweight, and heavyweight, so you can change based on %s. Plus theres that invulnerablity frame from what I gather from the screenshots. This is really shaping up to be quite the character.

Yeah thats also how I envisoned Deoxys to play as well and I figure Squirtles Up+B to be Aqua Jet, Ivysaur's a variation on Vinewhip, and Charizard just Flys.

And some weird things, Pokemon calling other Pokemon out of Pokeballs, and maybe a cool move, the ability to catch other fighters, if they don't mash the buttons fast enough they are caught and game over!

End Pokefan rant.

EDIT: I wonder how subspace emissary, moving stages and other "modes" like break the targets will be like

Pokemon trainer :drool:

Seriously this is freakin awesome. Even though I am not a big fan of pokemon anymore I am loving this, can't wait to try it out.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I just thought of something, since they have the name input thing, they should name the Trainer your user name while you're playing. Have a girl trainer available too. Which makes me wonder what his alternate costume will be. I hope they sway away from pallette swaps this time around.[/quote]An outfit for each generation of male/female trainer seems highly probable for outfits.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']just glad to see it's classic pokemon and not the less appealing recent ones.[/QUOTE]

Being that pokemon trainer uses the 3 original pokemon is what makes him appealing to me. If it would have been the newer generation pokemon I would just give him a meh.

I'm interested in what his final smash will be. My guess is he'll call upon one of the legendary pokemon. (Zapatos FTW!)

Hey, if they have a Nintendogs pup blocking the screen, they can definately have characters from Advance Wars bombarding the areas in tanks and jet planes. :p

Dear Sakurai,

Thank you for the kickass birthday present.

Love,
EXStrike

-----

And w00t, its Red!

From back in June:

[quote name='EXStrike']Having Red be in it instead of Ash would be more badass.[/quote]

A Winner is me.

it would be pretty cool if the pokemon could gain levels every time they KO someone making them progressively stronger. Might not be fair though...

This is really awesome..and I like this a lot.

4 player match: All Pokemon Trainers w/ ONLY Pokeballs on at the Pokemon Stadium!!

^ CRAZY match right there!!

[quote name='lilboo']This is really awesome..and I like this a lot.

4 player match: All Pokemon Trainers w/ ONLY Pokeballs on at the Pokemon Stadium!!

^ CRAZY match right there!![/quote]:drool::drool::drool:

So now it makes me wonder. Will Mewtwo make it in this game? Jigglypuff? Maybe even Pichu? But then you'd have A LOT of playable Pokemon!

I wonder if the 4 trainer outfits will be 2 male and 2 female..since they are just generic people.
It would have ALSO been cool..say..each Pokemon trainer costume had 3 different Pokemon. All the same type (Fire, Water, Grass), but just different.

Aren't there four sets of starter Pokemon?
Red/Blue.. Gold/Silver..Ruby/Saphire..Diamond/Pearl

..Ah..that's wishful thinking..
But regardless, I AM happy with what we got!

This update makes no sense though as we know Pikachu is in the game still. Perhaps Jigglypuff and Pikachu will be wild pokemon in this game? Or maybe there will be a second trainer which controls Jigglypuff, Pikachu, and Mewtwo or something.

When the site was loading for me (all of 5 minutes ago), I figured "Pokemon Trainer" was the silly like Pokedex thing, and was an item. Couldn't understand what it would be good for.

Then I saw the "New Challenger approaches!" and my jaw dropped.

Couldn't figure out if I liked it or not, but I keep smiling a lot, so this must be a good - if not awesome to super awesome - update.

Only question I have - what does the Trainer do during the moving stages? Like if he was in Melee, what does he do during Rainbow Road/Big Blue/Ice Climbers? I don't want him to fall off into oblivion! :(

I hope he starts moshing the other AC characters during the KK Slider Concerts. Stage Diving onto Tom Nook and Gracie.

Just remember that a while ago I saw someone suggest Pikmin Army as a character, where Olimario would throw different Pikmin into battle and let them fight.

I guess this is a close approximation.

Sakurai is my hero.

bread's done
Back