Surprise for us Later Today!?!?!

I'm with those who don't quite understand this move. As previously mentioned, Microsoft all but has Sony by the throat at this point, and this isn't going to do anything to help them. Release it at $399 and include a game (or hell, advertise it with the Halo 3 beta), or include the HD-DVD add-on--they're not doing anything but making a PS3 look like a more viable option for the money.
Now is certainly not the time to get arrogant and/or stupid.

[quote name='gizmogc']From what ive read in the last 20 minutes, its comes with everything the premium did, in black, with a bigger HDD, HDMI Port, and an HDMI Cable (and the normal Component cables as well). It sure as hell better upconvert DVDs over HDMI.[/quote]
They aren't super clear on the podcast, but it seems like he was saying it will do 1080p over HDMI.

[quote name='defiance_17']I'm with those who don't quite understand this move. As previously mentioned, Microsoft all but has Sony by the throat at this point, and this isn't going to do anything to help them. Release it at $399 and include a game (or hell, advertise it with the Halo 3 beta), or include the HD-DVD add-on--they're not doing anything but making a PS3 look like a more viable option for the money.
Now is certainly not the time to get arrogant and/or stupid.[/quote]

Or better yet, offer a limited time upgrade at a reduced price for the people that already have a 360 premium so they don't feel shitted on!

[quote name='sying']April fools!!!!![/QUOTE]

:rofl:

That shit would be nuts if they pulled off this kind of April Fools Joke. I could see MS making this Surprise so close to April's Fools. If they is a strong negative reaction they can always say it was a joke:lol:

MS is overconfident now.......the price is approaching PS3 instead of lowering it to further downplay sony. In the long run, this is bad for us consumer, where the next next gen system could rearch $500+ area and game price keep moving toward $60+.
Can't believe MS drop the ball here, other than AV hardcore xbox fan, who else gonna buy this $470. I think the only thing keep the PS3 unpopular is its price range. Now, if someone want to plunge down $500, why not get the PS3 instead and for the one that don't want to pay that much... they'll go with the wii (if they haven't already) since they probably gonna expect the premium or the elite price to come down... wow just wow! $470 for the soup up premium minus Wifi or HD-DVD. The black color is nice though ;)

[quote name='FuelDigga']all i know is when the next gen consoles come around its going to make me think twice about buying one right away, why buy something on launch day if in a little over a year later they come out with an upgraded model, i bought my not even a year ago and i feel kinda ripped that they've putting out a better model out there, i'll remember this down the road when microsofts next console is coming out[/quote]

This isn't exactly a new trend or anything, typically after 1 and a half to 2 years after a system comes out you see a price drop, in this case first you're going to see an upgrade and then probably a small price drop. You have to expect these things when you're an early adopter in the videogame market, but as a tradeoff you've gotten to play Dead Rising, Oblivion, Lost Planet, Gears of War etc. long before the people who are willing to wait a couple of years for the upgraded models and price drops.

If this were a live event, it would sound like the stock market when the whole market drops...

Microsoft is going to get A LOT of questions...everything about this seems so wrong now.

[quote name='galvatron2k1']Or better yet, offer a limited time upgrade at a reduced price for the people that already have a 360 premium so they don't feel shitted on![/QUOTE]

Yep. That is what they should do. But they know stupid Consumer's ( Gizmogc ) will buy this on day 1 anywho.

[quote name='sarausagi']Have they said anything about the optical out?

if it's a regular optical port, will you have to have the component hooked up for the optical sound?[/QUOTE]

Nothing yet. I would think it would be a HDMI cable that somewhat resembles the Component cables in some way with the optical option built-in to the wire?

[quote name='pimpinc333']Yep. That is what they should do. But they know stupid Consumer's ( Gizmogc ) will buy this on day 1 anywho.[/QUOTE]

HDMI. Black. 120HDD.

Hell yeah.

Xbox 360 is the best system ever. Play some Halo 3, Castlevania SOTN, TMNT Arcade.....Oh yeah. Now I have to decide if I want to sell my original modded 360...decisions decisions....

[quote name='galvatron2k1']Or better yet, offer a limited time upgrade at a reduced price for the people that already have a 360 premium so they don't feel shitted on![/QUOTE]

That would be nice, but it's not going to do much to hold/advance their position in "teh console warz." Personally, I'm just fine without these features--I wouldn't mind having them, but I'd rather see more new people pick up a 360 than beg Microsoft to give me something I don't really need.

[quote name='zionoverfire']This isn't exactly a new trend or anything, typically after 1 and a half to 2 years after a system comes out you see a price drop, in this case first you're going to see an upgrade and then probably a small price drop. You have to expect these things when you're an early adopter in the videogame market, but as a tradeoff you've gotten to play Dead Rising, Oblivion, Lost Planet, Gears of War etc. long before the people who are willing to wait a couple of years for the upgraded models and price drops.[/quote]

I agree... this is true. But when an upgraded version is released, usually an add-on is released as well to "upgrade" your existing console. So, how do I get my HDMI port? Like the M$ exec said on the podcast... So, what are you going to say to all the people that already own a console and want the HDMI features??? "Sorry."

"I wouldn't encourage a current owner to come out and buy the Elite," he said. "We are releasing the stand-alone 120 GB drive... that's really going to be the primary solution for those who want more storage."

Aka "we make a lot more dough when you dummies buy $170 harddrives for an upgrade."

[quote name='gizmogc']HDMI. Black. 120HDD.

Hell yeah.

Xbox 360 is the best system ever. Play some Halo 3, Castlevania SOTN, TMNT Arcade.....Oh yeah. Now I have to decide if I want to sell my original modded 360...decisions decisions....[/QUOTE]

Let me know if i'm wrong here but if you have a "Modded 360" then why is the 120GB HDD a big deal to you since obviously you must have a decent size HDD in your 360 now?

I'm confused about the HDD issue. Is it possible to buy an external hard drive, and connect it to the 360 with USB cables at much cheaper price than an official hard drive?

[quote name='DQT']I'm confused about the HDD issue. Is it possible to buy an external hard drive, and connect it to the 360 how a much cheaper price than an official hard drive?[/QUOTE]
No, because then Microsoft wouldn't get to make money off of you.

[quote name='gizmogc']HDMI. Black. 120HDD.

Hell yeah.[/QUOTE]

If you use "black" as an argument for why it's worth buying a console a second time again for a higher price, I will have to smack you fairly hard.

Anyway, it looks like some of the earlier predictions are still holding in light of the "same as current configuration" for the black consoles: no 65nm chips until the White Elite (new premium) shows up later this year at the $400 price.

Is anyone else not that mad because:

A. They don't care too much about the HDMI because they think component looks pretty damn good as it is

and

B. They haven't filled up their 20 gig HD at all yet (and it's really only a 12 gig HD)

I'm mad because I want a BLACK 360. That thing looks sexy as hell.

yea i definatly agree with you zion, i love my 360 its been a blast, and i did expect an upgraded version, i think the thing that hurts the most is the hdd
because now i know i'll be throwing down $179 dollars for 120 gig hd

[quote name='defiance_17']That would be nice, but it's not going to do much to hold/advance their position in "teh console warz." Personally, I'm just fine without these features--I wouldn't mind having them, but I'd rather see more new people pick up a 360 than beg Microsoft to give me something I don't really need.[/quote]

I think it just alienates many of your supporters. I bought my console day 1 not knowing that HDMI was coming in the future... hell, I didn't even know about 1080p (nice surprise, but my VGA cable makes the colors look washed out). So HDMI would help me out a lot.

I don't think it is about begging. I think it is about setting the standard and being the best. If you don't want the features, fine... But for those that do, give them the option to have them at a cheaper rate... If they would have done that, there would be no question who cared more about their consumers and it would help them in the long run of "the console warz."

Bottom line, if I knew that this "Elite" version was coming from the start, I would have waited...

[quote name='pimpinc333']Let me know if i'm wrong here but if you have a "Modded 360" then why is the 120GB HDD a big deal to you since obviously you must have a decent size HDD in your 360 now?[/QUOTE]

The HDD means nothing to a modded 360. No games can be stored on it. Modding is simply a DVD hack that lets you play burned games. The 120 HDD is great for downloading TV shows on and the eventual IPTV.

[quote name='KaneRobot']No, because then Microsoft wouldn't get to make money off of you.

And I assume you can't use flash drives either...

[quote name='sarausagi']HDMI 1.1 or 1.3?[/QUOTE]
I'd have to guess 1.3. It would make them look pretty stupid not to have the newest standard when the near 6 month old PS3 has it.

Upconvert DVD over HDMI?
No confirmation, but if the answer is "no" I will eat poop of your choosing. It'll be in there.

Data Transfer cable bundled?
Probably.

damn...in spite of all the crappiness, that black controller looks pretty sweet...I'm glad they're selling them separately and i only own 2 controllers.

[quote name='galvatron2k1']I agree... this is true. But when an upgraded version is released, usually an add-on is released as well to "upgrade" your existing console. So, how do I get my HDMI port? Like the M$ exec said on the podcast... So, what are you going to say to all the people that already own a console and want the HDMI features??? "Sorry."[/quote]

At the moment I think the whole increase hardrive size and cooler color are more important to most people right now.

[quote name='DQT']And I assume you can't use flash drives either...[/QUOTE]
Nope, you get to use their totally awesome proprietary memory cards!

[quote name='galvatron2k1']Bottom line, if I knew that this "Elite" version was coming from the start, I would have waited...[/QUOTE]

It will be 18 months since the 360 launched until this one is released. You would have waited that long had you known about an HDMI port?

Lets not even go into the 10 different PS2 revisions it had over its lifetime (which is not even done yet!).

[quote name='gizmogc']The HDD means nothing to a modded 360. No games can be stored on it. Modding is simply a DVD hack that lets you play burned games. The 120 HDD is great for downloading TV shows on and the eventual IPTV.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. Well in you're case an "Elite 360" should be fairly affordable with all that saved money from stealing games ;)

[quote name='sarausagi']THANK GOD! That looks like the best solution possible!

Standard HDMI port and a versatile audio pack.

Now these questions remain

HDMI 1.1 or 1.3?

Upconvert DVD over HDMI?

Data Transfer cable bundled?

Upgrades to firmware for elite? [meaing upgrades for premium eventually?][/QUOTE]
Data transfer cable will be included, no word on whether the audio breakout cable is included (probably is).

[quote name='zionoverfire']At the moment I think the whole increase hardrive size and cooler color are more important to most people right now.[/quote]

True on the color... But they did give you an option of upgrading the hard drive for $180 which still is an option.

If HDMI is important to you, then you are screwed.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Gotcha. Well in you're case an "Elite 360" should be fairly affordable with all that saved money from stealing games ;)[/QUOTE]

I own way too many retail games. I try and get only the games that are not released over here in the states or ones early to give my impressions here (like TMNT the movie game).

[quote name='FuelDigga']yea i definatly agree with you zion, i love my 360 its been a blast, and i did expect an upgraded version, i think the thing that hurts the most is the hdd
because now i know i'll be throwing down $179 dollars for 120 gig hd[/quote]

Yeah that's the part that really hurts, I'm probably going to wait until I see downloads that will be worthy of that amount of space, maybe we'll get lucky and someone will start discounting the 120gb drives in the fall.;)

[quote name='gizmogc']It will be 18 months since the 360 launched until this one is released. You would have waited that long had you known about an HDMI port?

Lets not even go into the 10 different PS2 revisions it had over its lifetime (which is not even done yet!).[/quote]

yes I would have waited. I have tons of games I haven't even touched from previous generations. Now... maybe I'm missing something but is there something the PS2 phat cannot do that the PS2 Slim can?

Online - can buy a separate adapter...

Ports - actually the PS2 phat has more ports because it has firewire (was hardly used, but it is there)

480p - with component cables, works on both...

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Data transfer cable will be included, no word on whether the audio breakout cable is included (probably is).[/quote]
Audio cable is included.

I like the bullshit answer on why the HDD is $179. Basically they said a self-powered, external 2.5" drive is close to that price. Bullshit. Looking at newegg I see multiple drives that fit those specs for ~$100.

i'm debating on getting one. I've wanted a 360 for a long time now. I actually got one at launch that I reserved andf was going to keep it but when I went to visit my friends who camped out overnight at best buy (to jokingly mock them) some guy who was there offered me $900 cash for mine and it was as good as gone.

Regardless I'm hoping that ebay will be flooded with them and I can a premium on the cheap. I just need the 20gb hard drive for a few XBLA games.

Do you think we'll see a huge influx of used 360s and any predictions on what hte prices will be around?

I'm a little concerned about having the thing break down on me and not having a warranty but if the prices go down dramatically I wouldn't mind

...I'm feeling bad for that guy who shelled out $900 for that launch 360 I had:cry:

[quote name='gizmogc']I own way too many retail games. I try and get only the games that are not released over here in the states or ones early to give my impressions here (like TMNT the movie game).[/QUOTE]

Ah Ok I wasn't aware that what your doing made "pirating" games right.;)

[quote name='galvatron2k1']yes I would have waited. I have tons of games I haven't even touched from previous generations. Now... maybe I'm missing something but is there something the PS2 phat cannot do that the PS2 Slim can?

Ports - actually the PS2 phat has more ports because it has firewire (was hardly used, but it is there)

480p - with component cables, works on both...[/QUOTE]
Slim has no HDD support. Slim has 480p dvd playing capabilites (most phats do not, which says something about how many revisions there was).

[quote name='galvatron2k1']yes I would have waited. I have tons of games I haven't even touched from previous generations. Now... maybe I'm missing something but is there something the PS2 phat cannot do that the PS2 Slim can?

480p - with component cables, works on both...[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about the PS2 Fat vs. PS2 Slim. I'm talking about the numerous additions the PS2 went through. Progressive Scan, built-in IR Port, etc. Of course they were never priced MORE then the current PS2 price, but an additional 100GB of space and an HDMI port is not cheap.

The only people who are pissed off are ones who bought this product without knowledge of the elite's existance.

I do not regret my decision in buying a 360, and MY 360 IS JUST AS FUNCTIONAL AS IF THIS HAD NEVER BEEN ANNOUNCED.

If you don't want this to exist, it doesn't have to. Block it out of your mind.

For the rest of us, we will have to consider whether this upgrade is worth our money.

No one bought a premium 360 expecting this to come out. If you did, why would you complain?

The only thing that sucks out of this announcement is the relatively high cost of the hdd for the rest of us. When put into perspective, I don't know if MS had any choice but to release it at this price because of the price of the 20 gig. I still think they should have created vouchers for those who have the 20 gigs. Like a 30 dollar MIR with your UPC.

EDIT: I forgot to add, HDMI is a pure digital connection. The current 360s are incapable of displaying an analog signal with HDCP over this digital connection. Theres no switch on the back to magically make it work.

[quote name='zewone']Slim has no HDD support. Slim has 480p dvd playing capabilites (most phats do not, which says something about how many revisions there was).[/quote]

480p DVDs... ok, I can see that for some people. But the phat came out before the slim. So, the upgrade removed some features. But if you bought it initially, there would be no reason to upgrade.

And to my knowledge, the HDD was only used on a handful of games. I believe most to all 360 games would benefit from 1080p or a larger hard drive.

Full figured PS2 goes up to 10 versions and each has two to three revisions. Slim PS2 is much the same way. What is worse is that SONY never made people aware of it except for HUGE updates. Only the modding scene really knows much about the revisions.

[quote name='derder']The only people who are pissed off are ones who bought this product without knowledge of the elite's existance.

I do not regret my decision in buying a 360, and MY 360 IS JUST AS FUNCTIONAL AS IF THIS HAD NEVER BEEN ANNOUNCED.

If you don't want this to exist, it doesn't have to. Block it out of your mind.

For the rest of us, we will have to consider whether this upgrade is worth our money.

No one bought a premium 360 expecting this to come out. If you did, why would you complain?

The only thing that sucks out of this announcement is the relatively high cost of the hdd for the rest of us. When put into perspective, I don't know if MS had any choice but to release it at this price because of the price of the 20 gig. I still think they should have created vouchers for those who have the 20 gigs. Like a 30 dollar MIR with your UPC.[/QUOTE]

Some CAG's are pissed because mainly of the price.

We ( Majority ) also Figured out that it is not worth our money.

[quote name='galvatron2k1']480p DVDs... ok, I can see that for some people. But the phat came out before the slim. So, the upgrade removed some features. But if you bought it initially, there would be no reason to upgrade.[/QUOTE]

The PS2 went through 10 different revisions. Each one improving from the last.

"Three of the original PS2 launch models were only sold in Japan, and lack the Dev9 expansion port of current PS2 models. These versions were SCPH-10000, SCPH-15000 and SCPH-18000. These included a PCMCIA slot instead of the Expansion Bay (DEV9) port of newer models. A PCMCIA to Dev9 adapter was made available for these models. SCPH-10000 and SCPH-15000 did not have a built-in DVD player and instead relied on an encrypted player that was copied to a memory card from an included CD-ROM (normally, the PS2 will only execute encrypted software from its memory card, but see PS2 Independence Exploit). V3 has a substantially different internal structure from the subsequent revisions, featuring several interconnected printed circuit boards. As of V4 everything was unified into one board, except the power supply. V5 introduces minor internal changes and the only difference between V6 (sometimes called V5.1) and V5 is the orientation of the Power/Reset switch board connector, which was reversed to prevent the use of no-solder modchips. V7 and V8 are also similar. Assembly of the PS2 moved to People's Republic of China with the V9 (model number SCPH-50000/SCPH-50001), which added the Infrared port for the optional DVD Remote control, removed the FireWire port, added the capability to read DVD-RW and +RW discs, added progressive-scan output of DVD movies, and a quieter fan. V10 and V11 have minor changes."

[quote name='gizmogc']I'm not talking about the PS2 Fat vs. PS2 Slim. I'm talking about the numerous additions the PS2 went through. Progressive Scan, built-in IR Port, etc. Of course they were never priced MORE then the current PS2 price, but an additional 100GB of space and an HDMI port is not cheap.[/quote]

And I think there lies the problem. It is a very expensive upgrade because you have to buy a whole new console for all the features. Last time I checked, this was CHEAP ass gamer. But that also is beyond the point.

I know I'm pissed and will not buy another console from Microsoft because of this and it seems that pimp may have some issues buying this as well. Does Microsoft owe us anything? No. But if they were in such a battle to try and be the top, I think they should offer alternatives for people that supported them from the start.

Even their Windows Operating System gives you the option of upgrading at a reduced package (although it is software), but still at least they give you something.

Now, if Playstation were doing something like this, would you defend them the same way or talk about how much they screwed their consumers?

Did I miss something because I see all this talk about the Elite but I have yet to see an official price. Is it $479.99 or what?

[quote name='valor19']Did I miss something because I see all this talk about the Elite but I have yet to see an official price. Is it $479.99 or what?[/quote]

yes, it was announced on the podcast that it will be 479.99 and available April 29th or something (stopped listening so I can't be certain on the date).

bread's done
Back