Surprisingly fun games that you didnt expect much from

KotOR (zero hype going into this)
GTA 3 (not a fan of the first two at all)
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (how could a console spinoff hold a candle to BG?!?!?!)
Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony (really blew my mind as far as PSP games go)
Katamari Damacy (zero hype, thought the idea was retarded)
Cooking Mama (zero hype, figured it would be retarded)
Rocket Slime (not really a fan of the DQ games and knew nothing about it)
Pixeljunk Monsters (had played Desktop Defense to death, thought there was nothing left to see)
Oblivion (HATED Morrowind on Xbox, Oblivion is now in my top 10 of all time)
God Hand (zero expectations going in, absolutely love it)

Indigo Prophecy (Xbox/PS2)
Amped 3 (360)
Prof. Layton (DS)
Everblue 2 (PS2)
Gallop Racer 2003 (PS2)
Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (Multi)
Shadow Hearts Covenant (PS2)
Crush (PSP)
Mario's Picross (GB)

OP: I second Puzzle Quest.

"Whats in her pooper", is a very fun and addicting game.

EDIT: Though, I will admit... its pretty easy... as 9/10 its usually "me".

Phoenix Wright, I bought the first game on a whim because it was 20 bucks at Fry's. I have been addicted to the games ever since.

Brain Age. A game about learning? Who the fuck wants that?! Then I got hooked on doing math problems all over again.

Ghosthunter. Never heard of and never would've cared for had I not been a bit curious from word of mouth.

Godfather Wii. Wasn't expecting much from a ported movie licensed PS2 game.

Throwing Abe Vigoda out the window using the Wii remote and nun chuck felt like the right thing to do at the time.

Voodoo Vince (Xbox)
I bought it used in 06 for about $3 on a whim. I put 12 hours into it in the next three days. I have never beaten a game that fast before or after. 2nd best platformer of that generation. (Psychonauts is first.)

Uno
Bejeweled
The Outfit
Just Cause
Saints Row
Vanishing Point
New Super Mario bros.
Tetris DS
Sudoku (Brain Age)
Earth Defense Force 2017
Need For Speed Most Wanted

Excite Truck on Wii. I rented a few Wii games to pass some time over a long weekend and ended up grabbing Excite Truck. I bought the game and still play it every now and then; it's probably in my top five Wii games so far.

Also, the Dance Dance Revolution series as a whole. I had seen it played in arcades before, but when I finally picked up a version on the PS2 for pretty cheap, I thought it was an extremely fun title.

Blast Corps
Shadow Hearts (saw a lot of negative reviews but it's my favorite PS2 RPG to date)
True Swing Golf (a golf sim that's damn fun!)

Halo 3! LOLZ!

I kid I kid.

I picked up Two Worlds for 9 bucks and Didn't expect to get much out of it. I was able to squeeze about 7 hours of fun out of it despite the glitches and stuff.

Robot Alchemic Drive(RAD) PS2- Got it for Christmas in 10th or 11th grade. I thought it would suck but it's totally awesome Robot Combat. Neon Genesis+Upgradeable moves+crazy controls=pleasure explosion!
I expect to get flamed for this but in fourth grade my father rented Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo(I think it was turbo) for me as a surprise and I really thought it was going to suck( I was all about rpgs at the time). My neighbors and I played that game pretty much non-stop till we had to take it back.

[quote name='kewlrabbit']Voodoo Vince (Xbox)
I bought it used in 06 for about $3 on a whim. I put 12 hours into it in the next three days. I have never beaten a game that fast before or after. 2nd best platformer of that generation. (Psychonauts is first.)[/quote]

I remember watching my dad play that and it looked like a lot of fun. I should probably check around to see if its in the house yet.

Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer. I probably put more hours into that game than any other. And I really have no idea why, looking back. I still like it a lot, though.

StarTopia. I bought it some time ago but only got around to playing it last year. I became hooked almost immediately; it was so much fun, and so funny as well.

Metal Arms: Glitch in the system
Whiplash
Panzer Dragoon Orta (the only thing i knew about it was that I had played a demo of a Panzer Dragoon game on the Sega Saturn at a toy store ages ago)
Dead to Rights II

Just played through the first Sly Cooper for PS2 and it was a great game. It first came to my attention through RLS quizzes and I ended up ordering while I was still an active member. I popped it in 3 days ago and finished it tonight. I'm a total sucker for cel-shading games. It had some levels where the game play was completely different from platforming so it mixed up pretty well. I'm mad that I ordered 1 and 2 and quit before I could order 3.

Ace attorney series. I expected something annoyingly immature and non interactive, but it's been worth every minute so far.

Excite Truck - lacks a little polish, and it got some mixed reviews, but it's actually quite a THRILLING experience that almost takes me back to the golden days of arcade racing games like Hydro Thunder.

Def Jam: Vendetta and Fight for NY, never was a big hip-hop fan and found it BS and a bit dumb (to say the least) wondering which rapper can beat down which. Surprisingly both games worked damn well and were really fun. Especially with four players.

Indiana Jones and the Emperors Tomb
Chronicles of Riddick, The: Escape from Butcher Bay
Resident Evil 4
Punisher, The
Incredible Hulk, The: Ultimate Destruction
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Earth Defense Force 2017

I sunk 30 hours into the game in the first week I owned it alone - even when I had other triple A titles to play. I know it's pretty well respected here on CAG, but it is brutally underrated and unknown pretty much everywhere else.

I;m going with Puzzle Quest and Advance Wars. I bought Advance Wars (the original on the GBA) at a store called Pamida for $15 just so I could have something to do on the plane. I bought all the sequels their first days out.

pikmin 1 and 2

ssbm

mario kart ds

castlevannia 64( the one where they finally released the game how it should have been with a werewolf and other characters)

Don't have a lot of games that fall into this category as I don't buy games that I don't expect a lot out of(also don't rent at all anymore).

But I did buy Dragon Quest 8 expecting not to like it all that much. But I was blown away by the game and got pretty addicted for a while.

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy on PS2
It gets panned everywhere but it's actually quite fun for multiplayer.

[quote name='CriscoKidd']Don't have a lot of games that fall into this category as I don't buy games that I don't expect a lot out of(also don't rent at all anymore).

But I did buy Dragon Quest 8 expecting not to like it all that much. But I was blown away by the game and got pretty addicted for a while.[/quote]

DQ8 rocks so hard. It was my 2nd DQ game ever (i had the free Dragon Warrior from the Nintendo Power subscription, which i played the crap out of), and i was so blown away by it. By the time i finished it, i had over 84 hours logged on it. Sadly, i sold my PS2 to make room for my 60 gig PS3 and forgot to keep any of my saves. I ended up re-buying most of my PS2 games (which i sold with my PS2), and DQ8 is sitting on the shelf sitting pretty waiting for me to start playing it again. It looks really good upscaled to 1080p as well.

I'm with Crisco here. If I'm buying a game, I usually expect something out of it. Also, it's funny that, many games mentioned in this thread I bought expecting something out of (and most delivered).

But, my game is Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azgaban.

I was reading the books, and had a major Harry Potter thing going last year. So, I bought this game while getting ready to finish book 7, trying to stem some depression I was feeling towards the books being over. I really had no expectation going in for this, even though it got decent reviews. I played through it and I really enjoyed it, even though it was a bit short.

Crackdown surprised the heck out of me. Wasn't expecting much, but turned out to be great.

This'll sound dumb, but I wasn't expecting great things from SSBB. I have a game night at my place a couple of times a week, and the people I play with are super snooty non-gamer types. Anything that takes longer than 5 mins to learn is immediately rejected. They looked at me like I had absolutely lost my mind when I suggested a fighting game. It's pretty much all we've played since it came out.

bread's done
Back