Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Looper - Saw it in theaters, just watched it on blu ray. It's pretty cool to watch it a second time to catch little things that show similarities between Joe and the kid that you wouldn't have noticed until seeing it for a first time.

I've had basically a movie marathon going since last night (minus sleep last night...). In order starting last night:

Casablanca
Sphere (turned it off about 1/2 way through, how did I ever like this movie when I was a teenager?!?!)
There Will Be Blood
The Prestige
Aliens
Terminator 2

Not sure where I want to go after Terminator 2 is over. Perhaps I'll dabble into Star Wars tomorrow? I dunno, but aside from that dreadful Sphere mistake, these are all some of my favorite movies. I think I might try to round out my top 10 over the next couple days of my vacation.

1. Casablanca
2. Aliens
3-10 (in no particular order)
Godfather Pt. 2
Office space
Lion King
Inception
Dark Knight
Sunshine
The Departed
Heat

Prometheus- I didn't hate it but I thought there lacked something. Not to say that it needed to have tons of horror/action because it didn't, but then again I felt like while it basically set up the alien movies, it felt to me that's all it did. I felt like I wasn't watching it for a movie but more so to get the story behind Alien or defiantly in the first hour it felt like.

Since RvB posted a top 10, I'm going to list 10 of some of the worst movies I've ever seen.

In no particular order:
Mortal Kombat 2
GI Joe
Fantastic Four
FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Attack of the Clones
Wolverine
X-Men: Last Stand
Brink!
Star Trek: Generations
Conan: The Destroyer

Some of my top movie orchestral scores in no particular order:
Dune
Dark City
Conan: The Barbarian
Batman Begins
Robocop
Superman: The Movie
Tron: Legacy
Star Trek(2009)
Back to the Future
Versus
Jubei Ninpucho
3:10 to Yuma(2007)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dohdough']Since RvB posted a top 10, I'm going to list 10 of some of the worst movies I've ever seen.

In no particular order:
Mortal Kombat 2
GI Joe
Fantastic Four
FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Attack of the Clones
Wolverine
X-Men: Last Stand
Brink!
Star Trek: Generations
Conan: The Destroyer[/QUOTE]
Hey some of those movies are in my top 10 favorite movies of all time.
[quote name='RedvsBlue']
1. Casablanca
2. Aliens
3-10 (in no particular order)
Godfather Pt. 2
Office space
Lion King
Inception
Dark Knight
Sunshine

The Departed
Heat[/QUOTE]
Don't usually see some of those in top 10 lists.

I don't really have a firm top ten list. Off the top of my head, some favorites that would be in or near my top ten:

Pulp Fiction
The Godfather Part 1 & 2
Original Star Wars Trilogy
LOTR Trilogy
Inception
Braveheart
O Brother Where Art Thou?
Fight Club
Se7en
Silence of the Lambs

Solid list dmaul. Godfather movies are up there for me too. I just pretend that 3 never happened...or at least I pretend to pretend that 3 never happened. The family tree turning into a circle still haunts me today.

[quote name='The Crotch']Well, Conan the Destroyer wasn't terrible...[/QUOTE]
Pfft...maybe to a Canadian...

I don't mind the third one that much aside from that stupid plot line.

Aside from that, it's a solid movie and solid ending to the Michael Corleone story arch. Still no where near on par with the first two even if it didn't have the stupid cousin love shit. But not awful either.

[quote name='moon_knight']Hey some of those movies are in my top 10 favorite movies of all time.

Don't usually see some of those in top 10 lists.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not gonna sit here and say they're particularly artistic movies or spectacular by any means but it comes down to the fact that I just can't get enough of them. While my top 10 obviously doesn't have the best movies of all time they are the top 10 movies I enjoy watching (over and over). I will say that Inception is still fairly new though and most likely to bow out of my top 10 in the coming years.

Sunshine, I love everything about it. I know a frequent complaint is the 3rd act swerve but with the cinematography surrounding that aside, I found it to be an interesting shift in the story.

Office Space never fails to cheer me up. No matter how shitty of a day I'm having, no matter how sorry I'm feeling about myself and life in general, I always get cheered up by that movie. I still laugh at a lot of the jokes and enjoy it.

As for today, my TV was on FX to begin the day and I ended up watching Role Models this morning (that movie was, and still is, better than it should be given the premise and how cliche it could have turned out). That was followed by What Happens in Vegas which was better than the average romantic comedy but still it was a romantic comedy at its core so it followed the same path. The premise made it more entertaining though and Rob Corddry (even though he was still just same old Rob Corddry) really stole the show as the support. The most surprising part of that movie was that I had no idea Zach Galifianakis was in it (once again, playing the same Zach Galifianakis he always plays).

Ran a few errands this afternoon and now that I'm back, I'm about 20 minutes into Godfather (pt. 1). I'd like to make it through both 1 and 2 tonight but with the cleaning I need to get done that might not be feasible and Godfather isn't exactly a "have it on in the background" type movie.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't really have a firm top ten list. Off the top of my head, some favorites that would be in or near my top ten:

Pulp Fiction
The Godfather Part 1 & 2
LOTR Trilogy
Inception
Braveheart
O Brother Where Art Thou?
Fight Club
Se7en
Silence of the Lambs[/QUOTE]
Nice, I'd say that even though I don't have a few of those in my top 10, they're damn close to my top 10 (OG Star Wars, LOTR, Braveheart, O Brother, Fight Club).

[quote name='dohdough']Solid list dmaul. Godfather movies are up there for me too. I just pretend that 3 never happened...or at least I pretend to pretend that 3 never happened. The family tree turning into a circle still haunts me today.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I have the trilogy and I've yet to actually put pt. 3 in and watch it because I've heard it's so terrible it almost ruins one's opinion of the first 2.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't mind the third one that much aside from that stupid plot line.

Aside from that, it's a solid movie and solid ending to the Michael Corleone story arch. Still no where near on par with the first two even if it didn't have the stupid cousin love shit. But not awful either.[/QUOTE]
True, there were some very solid performances. No where as bad as Conan the Destroyer.

Don't think I could do a half-way decent top ten list or anything. I know I'd put Chinatown and Twelve Monkeys at the top but after that it'd just be random good movies that pop into my head.[quote name='dohdough']
Pfft...maybe to a Canadian...[/QUOTE]
But... but I thought I didn't understand Canadian culture?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Haha, I have the trilogy and I've yet to actually put pt. 3 in and watch it because I've heard it's so terrible it almost ruins one's opinion of the first 2.[/QUOTE]
We already spoilered one of the worst aspects of the movie, so you're good to go. It actually makes the first two that much better.

[quote name='The Crotch']But... but I thought I didn't understand Canadian culture?[/QUOTE]
LOLZ...you Canucks are so cute! Of course you don't or else you wouldn need us REAL AMERICANS to show you what REAL culture is.:lol:

If I had a top ten it would go like this

1. LOTR: Return of the King
2. Blade Runner
3. Marvel's The Avengers
4. Pulp Fiction
5. No Country For Old Men
6. Batman Begins
7. Memento
8. All-Star Superman
9. Anchorman
10. Iron Man

There are others that I love that could've easily been on that list. And it would take me a while to make a top 10 worst list because I've seen a lot of shit (C Level horror films).

I definitely have a top three:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Pulp Fiction
Alien

After that I love these films, don't really have an order or anything:

Trainspotting
Amélie
Boogie Nights
Big Lebowski
Anchorman
Layer Cake
Donnie Darko
Bottle Rocket
Clockwork Orange
Sin City
Shawn of the Dead

I love these comedies but I dunno about ranking them anywhere

Office Space
Mallrats
Swingers
Old School
Bill & Ted
Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Saw Cloud Atlas last week. Was alright. Some story lines I thought were good others felt a little meaningless. With the amount of characters it felt like a long time trying to wrap things up. Visually I liked the Neo Seoul area. Actually that portion of the movie is my favorite (characters and plot arch).

What the hell, I'm bored. I'll do a top 10 movies list (in no particular order).

Se7en
Empire Strikes Back
American History X
Godfather
The Dark Knight
Crash
Saving Private Ryan
Jurassic Park
Back to the Future
Wedding Crashers

Compliance

Definitely worth a watch if you want to lose faith in humanity. It only makes it worse when you remember that it's based on a true story and people are really that fucked up and stupid.

[quote name='dohdough']GI Joe[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one who didn't think GI Joe was that bad?

The 80s cartoon was goofy as hell and the movie followed suit. It was kinda stupid to make GI Joe an international fighting force but honestly it didn't matter all that much.

I liked it better then any of the Transformers movies.

I dont actually have a top 10, but here are some of my all time favorite movies that I can immediately think of (there's probably 50 more that I could pretty easily name that I like just as or nearly as much):

The Goonies
Back To The Future
Hot Fuzz
Good Will Hunting
Titanic
The Matrix
Catch Me If you Can
Office Space
Pirates Of The Caribbean: Curse Of The Black Pearl
Minority Report
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Most Disney/Pixar movies

Some of my favorite movies:

The Matrix
LOTR trilogy
Hard Boiled
Star Wars OT
The Goonies
Full Metal Jacket
A Few Good Men
Ghostbusters
Fight Club
Minority Report
Back to the Future
Blade Runner
Chinatown
National Lampoons Animal House
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Godfather 1 and 2
Clerks
EvilDead Trilogy (duh)
The Shawshank Redemption
Die Hard
Marvels The Avengers
Reservoir Dogs
Tombstone
The Usual Suspects
Caddyshack
Aliens
Sin City
Rio Bravo
Escape From New York
Fistfull of Dollars
True Grit (original I still need to watch the remake)
The Big Lebowski
Young Frankenstein
Goodfellas
Dr. No
Silence of the Lambs
Once Upon a Time In China
Drunken Master 2

American Reunion. Considering the first movie came out when I was a year out of high school, and this is about stuff I'm going through right now, it was right up my alley.

Very entertaining.

Stifler is an all-time classic character.

In no particular order

Aliens
Empire of the Sun
Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy
Clerks
Original Indiana Jones Trilogy (although I didn't think 4 was as bad as some people do)
Schindler's List
Requiem for a Dream
Full Metal Jacket
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (holy fuck is this a brutal movie, it gives me headaches)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake, both are good in their own ways)
28 Days Later (and the first ten minutes of 28 weeks later :p)

I'll start going off on tangents if I do this too long but all those movies I could watch forever.

Looper.

I liked it, but was a tad let down since I've heard so many good things about it for months. Solid movie for sure, but I wasn't blown away. And the ending was pretty anti-climatic after all the build up.

[quote name='Halo05']In no particular order

Aliens
Empire of the Sun
Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy
Clerks
Original Indiana Jones Trilogy (although I didn't think 4 was as bad as some people do)
Schindler's List
Requiem for a Dream
Full Metal Jacket
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (holy fuck is this a brutal movie, it gives me headaches)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake, both are good in their own ways)
28 Days Later (and the first ten minutes of 28 weeks later :p)

I'll start going off on tangents if I do this too long but all those movies I could watch forever.[/QUOTE]

Shit, I wish they made 28 weeks just those people stuck in that house. Sooooo good for those couple minutes. I still like the movie but it just went in a totally weird direction.

Texas Chainsaw 3D - I don't even know where to start on this movie, it's so unbelievably awful. The story is extremely stupid, nothing makes sense. I expected it to be bad, but nowhere near this abomination.

favorite flicks that i dont mind watching here and there.

clerks or clerks 2. - i can relate to the two characters in this film. putting up with stupid people (working in retail not a burger joint, its in the general sense) and the dialogue is written well.

a nightmare on elm street series- awesome films in my opinion. the transition from striking fear into teens and sweet kill shots to adding comedic flare to the film. it kinda went downhill after 3 but none the less entertaining.

Slammin Salmon - hilarious movie. we find new things every time we watch it. i just hope the writers of the film are working on a new project.

Sleepaway camp- as cheesy as this 80's trilogy is, i like it. the bad acting, the scenery is cliche but the first film has a small twist that will make you say "gooooood lawd!"

[quote name='mr_burnzz']Shit, I wish they made 28 weeks just those people stuck in that house. Sooooo good for those couple minutes. I still like the movie but it just went in a totally weird direction.[/QUOTE]

I prefer Weeks to Days personally. In fact, I don't really like Days.

I guess that's how it tends to be though. People like one and not the other. Too bad it looks like we'll never be getting a sequel though.

Last movie I saw that sucked (this is a not suck thread but it was/is the worst movie ive seen in a bit) Resident Evil: Retribution? (the newest one)

Didnt suck movie: uhh Django Unchained and also the Prestige. I like to watch the prestige about once a month since it is probably my favorite Nolan movie

Four Rooms. Hadn't seen this since right around the time it came out in 1995 but bought the DVD cheap a while back. Forgot how much I liked it.

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead - 10/10

Loved it, documentaries like these will always be good and something most people need/should see.

[quote name='tcrash247']Texas Chainsaw 3D - I don't even know where to start on this movie, it's so unbelievably awful. The story is extremely stupid, nothing makes sense. I expected it to be bad, but nowhere near this abomination.[/QUOTE]

It was worse than I was expecting which made me sad.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning is easily my favorite out of all of them

There were some things I couldn't help but like about the movie
like the cop holding his phone like a flashlight in one hand and his gun in the other...then eventually saying "I have a bad feeling about this." The whole theater started laughing at that part.

[quote name='whoknows']It was worse than I was expecting which made me sad.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning is easily my favorite out of all of them

There were some things I couldn't help but like about the movie
like the cop holding his phone like a flashlight in one hand and his gun in the other...then eventually saying "I have a bad feeling about this." The whole theater started laughing at that part.
[/QUOTE]

My theater was laughing at this shitstorm as if it were a comedy. If the director came out and said that he meant it to be a comedy then it would make sense. The funniest part was when the main chick fell over that goddamn 2' high wire fence around the graveyard, it was so pathetic.

Yeah, people laughed at that too.

Some parts I can't help but believe were meant to be funny. I just can't believe anyone intended some of that stuff to be serious or scary.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead - 10/10

Loved it, documentaries like these will always be good and something most people need/should see.[/QUOTE]

I bought a juicer because of this film.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']How was Jack Reacher?[/QUOTE]

It was okay actually, nothing overly spectacular but not bad.. From what i've seen the film hasn't really achieved much attention.

Picked up Cosmopolis and Premium Rush last night from Redbox.

Cosmopolis 2/5
-watched this one first because I had a feeling that I would need an "action'ish" movie after watching this one and...I was right. I don't really think it was an awful movie but very slowly paced...and very odd. Maybe I don't watch enough slower paced movies but I thought the premise might of been good. Billionaires with limo-offices riding around town all day long? What's not to love about that?!

Wasn't sure what I was expecting but after the movie ended, I was very confused as to what I had watched.

Premium Rush 3/5
-after Cosmopolis, PR was just a fun movie to enjoy. I still think Joseph Leonard Gordon-Levitt was better in Looper but I wasn't really expecting much out of a bike messenger movie. It was kind of neat of see New York from a biker's perspective instead of from driving point. And the CG NY model was pretty cool (it made me really see how huge NY is and how it takes someone quite some time to get somewhere).

[quote name='jaso']I bought a juicer because of this film.[/QUOTE]

You gave in. It's all a conspiracy to get people to buy juicers.

[quote name='whoknows']You gave in. It's all a conspiracy to get people to buy juicers.[/QUOTE]

I don't doubt it. It wasn't to lose weight, though - it was half coincidental. I thought I had a stomach ulcer and heard cabbage juice was a natural cure.

Stomach ulcer > cabbage juice.

Zero Dark Thirty: (4.5/5)
-
Really well done. In the same vain as The Hurt Locker. It felt more like a documentary then an action flick. Word of warning there is quite a bit of torture shown in the first 45 minutes of the movie so definitely not for the feint of heart.

Django: (4.5/5)

-Masterfully directed and an absolute romp. A modern take on the Spaghetti Western done by one of the best directors of this generation. Christoph Waltz steals the show. A performance for the ages which will garner many nominations.

bread's done
Back