Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Saw scream 4 and source code at the drive in on Friday:
Scream 4 2/5 - very very mediocre. I was pretty bored during this one to be honest. I don't remember seeing 2 or 3 and this was the gfs pick. It felt like I was more or less watching the first one again between the original cast and copycat killer plotline... which doesn't really earn a pass for unoriginality in my book.

Source Code 4/5 - this was pretty good. I'll give it a go again when it comes out on DVD. It doesn't really get too deep to the extent of say.. Inception but its always fun to explore the idea of alternative realities. There's some fluff in the plot but its a pretty quickly paced movie and a fun way to kill about 90 minutes.

I Love You Phillip Morris

Has to be the funniest Jim Carrey movie I have seen in a long time, and Ewan McGregor plays his role very well too. The movie is funny over (black humor wise) and it's shocking to hear that the whole thing actually happened

[quote name='Cheddahz']I Love You Phillip Morris

Has to be the funniest Jim Carrey movie I have seen in a long time, and Ewan McGregor plays his role very well too. The movie is funny over (black humor wise) and it's shocking to hear that the whole thing actually happened[/QUOTE]

:)

The Other Guys -- not bad, 100x better than the trailer suggested. Wahlberg takes some getting used to. 75/100

Seven Pounds -- not sure why so many people called this a boring mess when it came out, it's slow at times but pretty intense IMO. 80/100.

[quote name='panzerfaust']
Seven Pounds -- not sure why so many people called this a boring mess when it came out, it's slow at times but pretty intense IMO. 80/100.[/QUOTE]

I liked it enough, but Woody Harrelson in the beginning gave probably the best performance of his career and the last 95% of the movie couldn't hold a candle to it. If he had more screen time he probably would have won an Oscar for that. That scene made me seriously depressed and I never felt so bad for a character in a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyO7pu4KJW8

Get Him to the Greek. Kind of bland. Forgetting Sarah Marshall was much funnier.

Clash of the Titans. Cheesy as expected, but at least semi-entertaining.

[quote name='moon_knight']Hard Boiled
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie[/QUOTE]

Hey, I know this might sound dumb, but should I watch the Cowboy Bebop episodes first before I watch the movie? I don't want to miss any important information

[quote name='Cheddahz']Hey, I know this might sound dumb, but should I watch the Cowboy Bebop episodes first before I watch the movie? I don't want to miss any important information[/QUOTE]

If only for the reason to get used to the characters. It doesn't really tie-in to any of the episodes. That being said, watch it. It's one of the best anime movies out there.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I liked it enough, but Woody Harrelson in the beginning gave probably the best performance of his career and the last 95% of the movie couldn't hold a candle to it. If he had more screen time he probably would have won an Oscar for that. That scene made me seriously depressed and I never felt so bad for a character in a movie. [/QUOTE]
I liked Seven Pounds too. My only knock on it:
it gave away too much of the ending too soon.

[quote name='GhostShark']If only for the reason to get used to the characters. It doesn't really tie-in to any of the episodes. That being said, watch it. It's one of the best anime movies out there.[/QUOTE]

^This^

The movie is stand-alone, but if you haven't watched the series you'll waste the first 1/4 of the movie aquainting yourself with the characters and trying to understand their motives.

If you have the ability to, I would strongly recommend watching at least the first 4 episodes of the series. That will give you the basic backstory you need to enjoy the movie.

[quote name='Cheddahz']Hey, I know this might sound dumb, but should I watch the Cowboy Bebop episodes first before I watch the movie? I don't want to miss any important information[/QUOTE] Like Ghostshark and ncogneato said, you don't have to watch the show, but I would also recommend watching it to get to know the characters and because its an amazing series.

Everybody, thanks for the answers. Just added the movie to my Instant Queue on Netflix, so I'll watch tomorrow, since I have no school :D

I Love You Phillip Morris

Funniest Jim Carrey movie I have watched in the last decade. It's shocking to hear that it was based on true events though

What's Phillip Morris about ? Is it like Thank you for Smoking?

My Dad caught Secretary and didn't see the whole thing on satellite and wanted to watch it again and thought it was good. I got it on disc from Netflix and will watch it when I get a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchb3rry']I liked it enough, but Woody Harrelson in the beginning gave probably the best performance of his career and the last 95% of the movie couldn't hold a candle to it. If he had more screen time he probably would have won an Oscar for that. That scene made me seriously depressed and I never felt so bad for a character in a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyO7pu4KJW8[/QUOTE]

that scene was fantastic, hooked me for the whole film.

Maggie Gylenhall is hot in a plain-Jane kinda way. Kinda the same way Sandra Bullock was in the 90s.

Hot in a way that an average guy you could reasonably pick up on their own.

The King's Speech. Very good. Outstanding performances from Firth and Rush.

And dammit, I just realized I didn't mail it out this morning so I won't get a disc this weekend.

[quote name='2DMention']What's Phillip Morris about ? Is it like Thank you for Smoking?

[/QUOTE]

I think it's about Jim Carrey, who is a con artist of sorts, who falls in love with some dude named Phillip Morris in jail. Jim Carrey breaks out somehow and tries to sneak back in to break Phillip Morris out.

I actually have no idea if that's right.

As far as I know, even though the name implies otherwise, it has nothing to do with cigarettes.

I never saw toy story until a little while ago. I started with the 3rd one and then the first and the second. #3 is one of the best animated movies I've ever seen. The whole thing played out like a video game and the ending was epic. Emotional rollercoaster! I wish I saw it in IMAX 3D.

127 Hours - F'ing LOVED it. Maybe because I related to the guy so much?

But still. I have never felt my heartbeat so much during a movie, especially since I am a horror movie buff and it takes a lot of shock me. I actually found the part were he initially got stuck more intense than the actual "finale" that everyone wanted to see in the first place. I just kept thinking "Oh fuck....oh fuck...oh fuck". I'm actually going to go read the autobiography.

Well made, and it wasn't "Hollywooded up" too much to make the story more interesting. Go see it.

Tron: Legacy - 8/10

I'm such a sucker for Neon lights and 13s in it. I never liked the old one but this one however is great. I will be getting it on Blu Ray. Also, go low/no expectations.

Monsters -4/5 - So I have always been a fan of Alien movies and I randomly watched this one on Netlix. Boy, was I ever blown away. It's a damn good movie. Very under the radar. If you have Netflix, give this movie a shot.

Ploy - Not at all what I was expecting. Very down key with droning synth tones set mostly in a hotel. Do not watch this one if you are the least bit sleepy. Ultimately I did like it though I can't see someone with a short attention span enjoying this.

[quote name='Jerakon']Pandorum. I had pretty low expectations, but, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, really. I might have to pick that up cheap on Blu to add to my collection.

I like those kind of sci-fi movies. Just really well done without piling on lots of backstory, almost like Sunshine. I heard it's a trilogy now. Not sure if I'm excited though.

Outrage, the Japanese movie from 2010 not the documentary from 2009.

fucking awesome, like really fucking awesome. One of the best crime films I've ever seen.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Love and Other Drugs.

Very good, much better than I was expecting.[/QUOTE]
Saw both this and No Strings Attached. Neither of them really hit me but this was the better of the two imo.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 1 - 3/10

Feels like it's been years since I saw the last Harry Potter. Don't understand what's going on. I just liked Hogwarts, the rivalry, the innocent hijinks, Quiditch matches, the classes, the teachers... here you just get forests; cutting the last book into two parts just makes it the slowest and most boring H.P. yet.

I got confused by the last Harry Potter. The Half-Blood Prince one. It started off weird as fuck. With the attack on London or whatever, him at the diner just chilling out, and Dumbledore shows up and was kind of an asshole, then they meet some goofy bastard hiding in a Lay-Z-Boy. I was like "WTF?"

Hit the drive in again this weekend and they always are double features there:

Fast Five (4/5) - If you like the series, you'll like this one. Much better than 4 and more like the 2nd one. Some of the scenery during action sequences reminded me very much of Uncharted 2 and make sure to stay through the credits for this one.

Your Highness (0/5) - This sucked... big time. I love Kenny fuckin' Powers but the "humor" in this one fell so flat that even getting jerked off didn't stop me from bolting about 45 minutes in to it. Everything came off as campy and when it's done well (see: Robin Hood Men In Tights) it's ok but it was hard to tell if they were intentionally tanking it and it came off like an extended SNL skit... a BAD SNL skit.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I got confused by the last Harry Potter. The Half-Blood Prince one. It started off weird as fuck. With the attack on London or whatever, him at the diner just chilling out, and Dumbledore shows up and was kind of an asshole, then they meet some goofy bastard hiding in a Lay-Z-Boy. I was like "WTF?"[/QUOTE]

While I still haven't gotten around to watching the last couple HP movies because I was trying to finish off the books first in preparation for the last movie , the general gist I've gotten from others was that the last 2 movies (possibly even the last 3) all suffered from trying to do too much in too little time. After reading the books I can completely understand that , trying to cram a lot of plot threads from 500+ page books into a 2-3 hour long movie sounds like a bad idea.

Looking to make a viewing request. Need suggestions of a movie to see (already out on dvd/br) that is less than 100 minutes long and is not animated. I was going through my stack of movies to try and find something and everything that I REALLY wanted to see was longer than 100 minutes and didn't really feel like checking everything else I had to see which ones might fit my time criteria. Alternatively if someone can provide me with a site that can do movie searches by runtime that will work too.

Killzone good Donnie Yen movie - not quite as good as i expected though

Tron Legacy enjoyed it much on second viewing here at home - blu ray looked really nice but still think its a weak film

The Fall - excellent, great acting, beautiful cinematography and locations

How to Train Your Dragon - Wow it was really good, probably one of my favorite animated movies now.

harry potter movies feel all over the place to me, but i give them props for having magic action that actually looks awesome.

i mean, all lotr did was that super lame gandalf vs sarumon staff fight, while harry potter wand action is like a firefight

bread's done
Back