Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally watched Almost Famous last night after everyone had been telling me how good it was. I must say it was pretty good.

[quote name='captainfrizo']Just watched Children of Men again. What an incredible movie.[/quote]

children of men is definelty one of the few must see movies of the year. freakin amazing stuff. and i dunno if im off but i saw alot of religious kind of jesus references in it.

[quote name='captainfrizo']...Children of Men...[/quote]
Hands down my favorite movie from last year. Amazing.

Went to the drive-in this weekend for this double feature:
- Evan Almighty [absolute shit]
- Knocked Up [endlessly funny, but not as good as 40YOV]

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Just finished American Beauty. fucking amazing.[/QUOTE] Was it your first time? Definitely one of favorites. I can't tell you how many dozens of times I've seen it since it came out.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Was it your first time? Definitely one of favorites. I can't tell you how many dozens of times I've seen it since it came out.[/quote]

Yea, finally got around to seeing it thanks to Netflix. Copy was scratched though, so it skipped a bit. I'll probably pick it up and give it another watch this weekend.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Live Free or Die Hard[/QUOTE]

I second this...i expected nothing of this movie but turned out pleasantly surprised.

Ya the story borrows from under siege 2, however die hard 2 was a better piece of acting and directing and wins the spotlight.

Live Free or Die Hard.

Outstandingly good fun. Different from the classics, but still a great throwback to big, fun action movies, without the stupid, modern stylings of shit like The Matrix and whatnot.

Ratatouille - 8/10

Eh, a little disappointing. Dragged quite a bit at the start and then again in the middle, and slightly dull a lot of the time. Still pretty funny and good though, and has a great last act. A lot better than Cars, but probably near the bottom of Pixar stuff.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Ratatouille - 8/10

Eh, a little disappointing. Dragged quite a bit at the start and then again in the middle, and slightly dull a lot of the time. Still pretty funny and good though, and has a great last act. A lot better than Cars, but probably near the bottom of Pixar stuff.[/quote]

I loved it. I'd put it above "Cars," "A Bug's Life," "Monsters, Inc.," and maybe even the first "Toy Story," but not quite as high as "Finding Nemo," "Toy Story 2," or "The Incredibles." I thought Anton Ego (voiced perfectly by the immortal Peter O'Toole) was one of the best characters ever in a Pixar (or any) animated film.

I do agree it dragged a bit in the middle, but I think this was meant to be a relatively simple, heartfelt story, told without a lot of loud noise and complicated set pieces. I think it succeeded most in its two goals of illustrating the transformative power of good food, and in showing that when you find that one thing in the world that you love, be true to it and everything else will work itself out.

Live Free or Die Hard

Bruce Willis still got it and I was surprised that I liked it so much. Good action sequences with the guy from District B13. Overall great action flick.

The Island. I just now saw it and the film was amazing. ive been curious about it since the commercials when it first came out but damn this film got glossed over bigtime and i cant believe it didnt do better in america. people probably had trouble sitting through the beginning of the film though.

[quote name='lokizz']The Island. I just now saw it and the film was amazing. ive been curious about it since the commercials when it first came out but damn this film got glossed over bigtime and i cant believe it didnt do better in america. people probably had trouble sitting through the beginning of the film though.[/quote]

It was better when it was "PARTS: THE CLONUS HORROR" and it was on MST3K. Seriously.

http://www.mst3k.com/daddyo/di_811.html

[quote name='Tybee']I loved it. I'd put it above "Cars," "A Bug's Life," "Monsters, Inc.," and maybe even the first "Toy Story," but not quite as high as "Finding Nemo," "Toy Story 2," or "The Incredibles." I thought Anton Ego (voiced perfectly by the immortal Peter O'Toole) was one of the best characters ever in a Pixar (or any) animated film.

I do agree it dragged a bit in the middle, but I think this was meant to be a relatively simple, heartfelt story, told without a lot of loud noise and complicated set pieces. I think it succeeded most in its two goals of illustrating the transformative power of good food, and in showing that when you find that one thing in the world that you love, be true to it and everything else will work itself out.[/QUOTE]
I think, also, that part of the reason it dragged was because it was tinkered with and changed quite a bit; it started out as a project for Pixar as a free-lance agent with the director of the Pixar short "Geri's Game" writing and directing it, but then Disney signed the contract with Pixar and they brought it back over there, Disney wanted it to be more marketable, so they fired the director and hired Brad Bird to give it a complete rehaul and change a lot of stuff (similar to how they did on Superman 2).

At least that's what I've read, not sure how much of that is true

[quote name='Tybee']It was better when it was "PARTS: THE CLONUS HORROR" and it was on MST3K. Seriously.

http://www.mst3k.com/daddyo/di_811.html[/quote]

damn i knew it had to be a remake of some kind it was just too good a premise to be a new movie. eh but at least they made it interesting and thanks for posting about the original film im gonna check it out when i can i always like to see or read the original source material for remakes.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']I think, also, that part of the reason it dragged was because it was tinkered with and changed quite a bit; it started out as a project for Pixar as a free-lance agent with the director of the Pixar short "Geri's Game" writing and directing it, but then Disney signed the contract with Pixar and they brought it back over there, Disney wanted it to be more marketable, so they fired the director and hired Brad Bird to give it a complete rehaul and change a lot of stuff (similar to how they did on Superman 2).

At least that's what I've read, not sure how much of that is true[/quote]

Well, Brad Bird (who also did "The Iron Giant" and "The Incredibles") can do no wrong, so I can see why they handed it off to him. And if "Meet the Robinsons" is indicative of Disney's top caliber work these days, then I'm quite happy they turned it over.

Disney needs to start making 2D stuff again (supposedly they are at John Lasseter's urging, a side benefit of the new Pixar/Disney contract), preferably fairy tales and preferably with music. Disney films have become all wink wink, nudge nudge cultural references at the parents, a little bubble gum pop flavor of the week soundtrack for the kids, and frenetic action. Meanwhile, quality animation, good stories, and heart have gone right out the window. They need to get back to basics.

[quote name='lokizz']damn i knew it had to be a remake of some kind it was just too good a premise to be a new movie. eh but at least they made it interesting and thanks for posting about the original film im gonna check it out when i can i always like to see or read the original source material for remakes.[/quote]

Make sure you get the MSTed version. It's not something you'd want to watch otherwise. ;)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Transformers

Drop what you are doing now and go see it! You wont be disappointed!!![/quote]

Your avatar and sig and the mere existence of Michael Bay make me somewhat inclined to think that you may be irrationally biased in this matter, sir.

[quote name='Tybee']Your avatar and sig and the mere existence of Michael Bay make me somewhat inclined to think that you may be irrationally biased in this matter, sir.[/quote]

Go see it and prove me wrong.

Live Free or Die Hard - excellent... I thought a 4th movie would kill the characters/series, but I was happy with the movie and enjoyed it immensely.

Ratatouille - mediocre. Not a big fan of the Brad Bird Pixar films. They end up being solid, but nothing fantastic. Probably about the same as The Incredibles or Monsters, Inc.

Pan's Labyrinth - strange. Good, but not as fantastic as I was hearing about. Didn't like the ending at all.

Ocean's 13

Much, MUCH better than Ocean's 12 (which isn't hard), and in a lot of ways better than the first one. Funnier, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back