Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indy 4 and Iron Man at the drive-in last night.
Indy 4 was fun but it just isn't the same without Nazis. Iron Man was good even though I despise Robert Downey Jr. and I thought there wasn't enough of Iron Man flying around like a mad man.

Sex in the City

45 minutes too long, pointless in many ways. But still enjoyable in parts (if you liked the original show).

[quote name='Scorch']Wow.

She says "Thundercats are GO".. you know, like from the cartoon show?![/quote]

I can't tell if this is serious or not, but if it is, you're wrong.

The Bridge.

An amazing documentary about 24 people who killed themselves by jumping off of the Golden Gate bridge.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8muNsj1oUpY[/media]

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Sukiyaki Western Django

So fucking awesome. Miike actually managed to pull off a damn fine spaghetti western (even if it felt more like a Tarantino movie at times).[/quote]

Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to see this one. Glad you liked it. Hopefully Hollywood Video has this, otherwise, I'll have to find it somehow.

[quote name='floormat']going to watch brotherhood soon.

natural city was a great and oldboy was even more of a mind trip than children of men.[/quote]

No offense, but Natural City is a disaster and sucked, hard.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Night Watch[/quote]

That's probably my second favorite Russian film after the sequel, Day Watch. Day Watch's story was a little more cohesive in its storytelling than Night Watch, but perhaps that because you have some back story from Night Watch. I also can't wait for the director's first "Hollywood" style film, Wanted.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to see this one. Glad you liked it. Hopefully Hollywood Video has this, otherwise, I'll have to find it somehow.[/quote]

Good luck, I don't think it has an American release yet (and I heard it was going to be butchered). I'd suggest just grabbing a japanese torrent.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']That's probably my second favorite Russian film after the sequel, Day Watch. Day Watch's story was a little more cohesive in its storytelling than Night Watch, but perhaps that because you have some back story from Night Watch. I also can't wait for the director's first "Hollywood" style film, Wanted.[/quote]

It was pretty enjoyable. Luckily, Netflix has Day Watch on instant watch, so I'll probably watch that one soon.

Semi Pro is pretty weak. It's in the lowest 10% of things that Will Farrell has done, which is a shame because it has a lot of great comedic actors in it.

just saw "the mist" last night, movie based on a stephen king novella. wasn't interested at first, but then i saw it was directed by the guy who did shawshank and the green mile, so i gave it a shot. liked it a lot.. crazy fucking ending. definitely worth a shot.

[quote name='joe2187']:whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

yeah that's right, im a fan of the show, and the movie was perfect fan service. plus it had tits. and it was actually hilarious, if you like SATC in the first place.

btw, Le Samourai. one of my favorite movies ever. Have you seen Army of Shadows?

[quote name='AshesofWake']yeah that's right, im a fan of the show, and the movie was perfect fan service. plus it had tits. and it was actually hilarious, if you like SATC in the first place.

btw, Le Samourai. one of my favorite movies ever. Have you seen Army of Shadows?[/quote]

a friend of mine is the same way, kinda odd since he was more excited to SATC movie than his girlfriend was

Not yet, I've been meaning to watch it. since melville's style is something I like in a film. but the price of the movie and not being able to find a copy in the Video store keeps me from seeing it.

The Strangers- 2/5- It did what it set out to do, which was to create a chilling atmosphere to make you jump at a couple of moments. It's definately better than more than half the horror movies that have come out in the past year or so, and it is the director's first time directing and writing. Just don't go thinking the ending will be any good.

[Rec]- 3.5/5- A very tense zombie movie that, for a good 45 minutes, keeps up the tension and never lets off. The only thing that irked me is the ending where they explain why the zombie infection spread was a terrible one. Also, the cameraman never put down the camera and helped anyone (except in one scene).

Indiana Jones- 4/5- I actually enjoyed the ending and it was another Indiana Jones movie. A couple problems was the background green screen was sometimes too much (like when they were in the warehouse in the beginning of the movie). Also, why were there parallel roads in the Peruvian jungle?

I saw The Strangers at the first showing early Friday. It was OK, not great. It was more about terror than horror. I totally forgot this movie was coming out last week and when I got to the theater, I was surprised at how many people were in the audience. It looks like this movie did better than expected over the weekend, though I don't know why they opened it against Sex and the City. They're the only new movies out last week, they're both R-Rated and they target the same kind of people - adults (couples and many females).

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Good luck, I don't think it has an American release yet (and I heard it was going to be butchered). I'd suggest just grabbing a japanese torrent.

[/quote]

I hadn't known it hadn't been released yet. I'll have to try and go the route you recommend I guess.

It was pretty enjoyable. Luckily, Netflix has Day Watch on instant watch, so I'll probably watch that one soon.
Yeah, I really liked Day Watch as well. I just love the whole universe they've created. It's kind of a modern day version of LOTR with vampires, werewolves, witches/warlocks/wizards, and other supernatural creatures/beings. I really dig the whole universe they've set up. The books that have been translated into English have been pretty good as well. I just wish the final book would come out already.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I hadn't known it hadn't been released yet. I'll have to try and go the route you recommend I guess.

Yeah, I really liked Day Watch as well. I just love the whole universe they've created. It's kind of a modern day version of LOTR with vampires, werewolves, witches/warlocks/wizards, and other supernatural creatures/beings. I really dig the whole universe they've set up. The books that have been translated into English have been pretty good as well. I just wish the final book would come out already.[/quote]

I hadn't realized the books were translated. I'll have to check on them next time I hit up a Half Price Books.

As for movies, watched the following while doing some code:

Hellraiser: Inferno
Hellraiser: Hellseeker
Ballistic: Ecks Vs Sever

Yea, I watch a lot of terrible movies while I do work.

[quote name='rabbitt']The Strangers

The masks were very Bioshock.
[/quote]

agreed. I enjoyed the film a lot. 4/5
after the shotgun kill, i really felt like they didn't have a shot to survive. thats the only negative thing i can say about the film.

[quote name='kingocraplantis']just watched The Devil's Backbone...what is it with Guillermo del Toro and orphans?[/quote]

They're delicious in a stew :cool:

The Manchurian Candidate (62 edition) - It's amazing how substantially better this version is to the remake. It takes a real man's man of an actor, as in Frank Sinatra, and not this over rated, over hyped actor that is Denzel to portray the role of Marco. Also, kind of off topic, but now that I got started on Denzel, he stole the Academy Award the year he was nominated. He wasn't the deserving of one. Training Day was crap, and his performance was nothing special. Ali/Will Smith should have won. He was way better in that role than forgettable Training Day. People remember Training Day for a stupid monkey line, while Ali is remembered for a great performance.

I thought he was excellent in Training Day, for what it's worth. I like that movie a lot and it was a departure for him at the time, so people were kind of blown away by that. Not saying Ali wasn't good or even that it wasn't more deserving, just saying he was great in Training Day which in itself is a great movie.

Cloverfield - having been able to somehow avoid both the movie in the theaters and any spoilers surrounding the movie I was quite impressed. It may not be a classic like some claim it is/will be, but it's still very well done and highly enjoyable.

[quote name='captainfrizo']Cloverfield - having been able to somehow avoid both the movie in the theaters and any spoilers surrounding the movie I was quite impressed. It may not be a classic like some claim it is/will be, but it's still very well done and highly enjoyable.[/quote]

I wish I was able to avoid spoilers :cry:
or friends that won't stop talking about how a movie's ending was...regardless of if the people/person they are with haven't seen it

btw, to make this spoiler, "spoiler worthy" it was the ending with the meteor that was given away...:whistle2:#

[quote name='captainfrizo']Cloverfield - having been able to somehow avoid both the movie in the theaters and any spoilers surrounding the movie I was quite impressed. It may not be a classic like some claim it is/will be, but it's still very well done and highly enjoyable.[/quote]

You managed to avoid the spoilers for this long? Good job, I wish I had that kind of skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back