Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legend of Drunken Master - Not as good as the first, but still incredibly awesome.

I don't think anyone in existence (or otherwise) is more awesome than Jackie Chan

Terminator Salvation - Didn't like it. I've got to say, I kind of prefer Terminator 3. Not a popular position, but I prefer the popcorn flick with great action sequences over the movie with a bad script that it actually relies on. I did appreciate Marcus, and I hope the supposed director's cut fleshes out the struggle over his humanity a bit more.

Up - Fantastic. It stops being exactly what I wanted it to be when the talking dogs showed up, but it's a conflict that's necessary to bring the characters through their arcs, and it does it well.

Drag Me to Hell - Awesome. Everything a horror movie should be - except violent. The movie is great, and plays up its heritage brilliantly (Evil Dead fans will spot a lot of camera angles), but it could have been improved by a geyser of blood or two. The ending is perfect.
I did think the awesome grave scene was a little spoiled by the obviousness of the coin-button switch... I don't know how that could have been fixed.

DVD Round-up:
The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Once Upon a Time in the West
Blade Runner: Final Cut
Deja Vu
Total Recall -
This
TR1.jpg

Movie
TR2.jpg

Has
TR3.jpg

A Bit NSFW:
Everything!
TR4.jpg
I love this... I wish Paul Verhoeven still made these movies. Here is a man that knows what an R-Rating is. Also, the commentary with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Paul Verhoeven is fantastic. Schwarzenegger spends the commentary explaining what he's doing on screen - "This is where I punch the guy!" or "This is where I make out with Sharon Stone!", and Verhoeven constantly reiterates that "There are these two realities! Two! It could be either one!" They both have heavy accents (of course), so it's like listening to Hanz and Franz.

And yeah, I realize I just skipped over three of the best movies ever to talk about Total Recall.

Caprica - Pretty much took all the was good with "BSG" and made it crap I really hope the series only lasts maybe a short season, I think anymore than that and the plot ideas could run a little thin.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']There Will Be Blood[/QUOTE]
That was a good film, I'd give it a retro rating of 4.2/5.

[quote name='cdeener']I have to agree. I really enjoyed the action in this though because it wasn't too over the top.

[/QUOTE]

Except not many people I know can just jump out of the way of automatic fire in close quarters, or jump off waterway bridges on to boats after 30+ hours of no sleep and just continue fighting on.

But the move was good. My wife got really into it.

Shattered Glass. Great film about fabrication and journalistic integrity. I'm not a Hayden Christensen by any means, but his portrayal of Stephen Glass is dead on. Highly recommended.

I'm gonna watch Die Hard 2 next.

I finally saw Wall-E, and I kinda teared up there, not just for the main character. Even as fat-ass globs with massive bone loss, with the right motivation we can do anything!

Star trek. I might very well be in the minority on this but man was it lame. I haven't fallen asleep during a movie in a long time but this one put me to sleep.

My Daughter dragged me last night to watch RAMEN GIRL , It was really GOOD!! (if U are into all the Japanese culture thingy)

Annie Hall
I liked it. Certainly didn't love it, but I thought it was actually pretty funny at some points. Woody Allen actually threw in some really cool techniques.

Watched a couple classics today:

Sunset BLVD (1950)
Singin' In The Rain (1952)

Both were incredible, and Singin in the rain is absolutely in my top 5 ever.

Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009)

An unoriginal chick-flick, that's about as deep as a puddle. There's literally nothing you haven't seen before. Surprisingly, it was able to cast two comedy greats, with John Lithgow and John Goodman, in small roles.

Land of the Lost (2009)

This is not a Land of the Lost film, this is not an Action-Adventure film, and judging by its box office performance, this is not a "Summer Blockbuster". You know what it is? Another hilarious Will Ferrell COMEDY. Not is it another comedic runaway train of Ferrell one-liners, but it's also got Danny R. McFuckingBride, who is just about damn near fucking awesome just breathing and blinking.

Up (2009)

Okay, yeah, this was a great film, but I still like Toy Story and WALL-E more. In fact, there was an animated film this year I liked more, and still my favorite film from 2009, Coraline. Based on the first 15-20 minutes, Up could have been one of the best films ever, period. Based on the first half, it could have been one of the very great films ever. But the second half, while very wild and fun, (and obviously great for kids), just didn't...I don't know, "gel" I guess with how brilliantly depressing the opening 20 minutes were. You know, that montage of Carl Fredricksen's life...just so beautiful and sad. If you're one to cry during films, Up might be the fastest film to make those tears flow. Another Pixar/Disney classic, a great film, but lacking its adult seriousness from the first half in the second, stops it from being a true masterpiece.

I agree with you on UP.
I did enjoy it more than Coraline though. That was excellent as well.
The first 20 minutes of UP were shocking. So beautiful.

[quote name='MisterModest']

Okay, yeah, this was a great film, but I still like Toy Story and WALL-E more. In fact, there was an animated film this year I liked more, and still my favorite film from 2009, Coraline. Based on the first 15-20 minutes, Up could have been one of the best films ever, period. Based on the first half, it could have been one of the very great films ever. But the second half, while very wild and fun, (and obviously great for kids), just didn't...I don't know, "gel" I guess with how brilliantly depressing the opening 20 minutes were. You know, that montage of Carl Fredricksen's life...just so beautiful and sad. If you're one to cry during films, Up might be the fastest film to make those tears flow. Another Pixar/Disney classic, a great film, but lacking its adult seriousness from the first half in the second, stops it from being a true masterpiece.[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with you about the first 20 minutes of Up. It is so beautiful and sad. And the thing was, you knew exactly where they were going with it but it stilled hit you deep in the gut. I kept thinking "Wow, this is a kid's movie." Yea, the second half wasn't as good as the first but I still think it's a great film. I actually like it better than Toy Story and WALL-E. Definitely getting it when it comes out on Blu-ray.

Evil Aliens - 4/5 - a funny UK comedy/horror film, very well written, and enough gore and horror to keep me satisfied. I actually enjoyed this film a whole lot. Very little is wrong with it. CG at parts feel a bit tacked on but in other parts work well. Its low budget yet entertained me more then most recent blockbuster horror films...damn Friday the 13th, The Uninvited and other horrible remakes.
Definitely worth seeking out.

Trailer:

After hearing of "Bill's" death, me and the girlfriend watched Kill Bill 1 & 2 on Blu. After the first, I planned on stopping and waiting until tomorrow to watch the second part, but she wanted to keep watching.

A+ on both movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back