Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='MisterModest']
Knowing (2009)

Well, this film had everything. Nicolas Cage, creepy kids, weird creepy pale people who come out of the woods, Nicolas Cage, a ridiculous plot, and Nicolas Cage. And what the hell genre was it? I don't know. I'm going to go with a "Mystery/Sci-Fi Disaster" film. It fortunately had some classic Nicolas Cage terrible acting moments, such as, weird pale person appears from woods, Cage chases after it with a baseball bat, but it disappears, so while of out of breath, Cage screams, "DO YOU WANT SOME OF THIS!?", *then hits a tree with the bat*. Brilliant. A lot of people seemed to not like the the ending, but fuck it, it was crazy enough to work with this damn film.[/QUOTE]

Those
aliens
reminded my brother of the creepy people from Dark City. Turns out that its the same director.

Angels & Demons (2009)

I was a big fan of the first movie, and while this was good, it's nowhere near as good as The Da Vinci Code. The material is a lot less "controversial" than the first film. It's basically a chase film, and while long (2hrs 20mins), it has quite a fast pace.

The Haunting in Connecticut (2009)

Ugh, not the worst horror film this year, but not a very good movie at all. "Creepy" things start happening right away, with no time taken to build up the tension. Best line of the film was when the main (male) character says, "Sometimes I wake up at night and feel like he's been inside of me." Yeaaah.

Transformers 2: The mom tackling some kids playing frisbee was stupid and the sappy love stuff was typical and repetitive. Other than that I enjoyed it...

[quote name='mcgavin27']
The Weatherman
[/QUOTE]

I think The Weatherman is the best thing he's done in years. Seriously underappreciated.

bmachine, one word for you: cameltoe

LOL, I actually liked "The Weatherman" (I even saw it in the theatres), but nobody else seemed to. Glad that I wasn't alone.

Up. I was very critical of the motive in the movie, which was the house with the ballons, but it turned out to be one of the best movies. 250/10 stars.

[quote name='tivo']Valkyrie - 6/10
Four Brothers - 2/10 (fucking Mark Wahlberg)[/QUOTE]

Wahlberg mumbles his lines too much. I had to watch Shooter with the fucking subtitles on.

Got Valkyrie from Netflix but haven't watched it yet. Yeah, Tom Cruise is in it, but I'm a sucker for WWII stuff and as long as there's no creepy dance scenes like Tropic Thunder I'm willing to give him a shot.

I saw Indiana and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull a few days ago and I really liked it. I heard so much negativity about it when it came out but I thought it was better than Temple of Doom.

It's good, just not what people expected after 19 years of waiting. I hadn't even seen the original trilogy until just before Crystal Skull, so I had no huge expectations.

I watched The Bucket List yesterday. That was a really good film, though I couldn't help but wonder what Nicholson and Freeman could have done in a film together, before they became senior citizens.

[quote name='mcgavin27']Public Enemies

It was a decent film. It was entertaining but it did drag at points. 3.5/5[/QUOTE]

TY... was hoping someone here had commented on it, as the critic ratings are all over the frickin' place.

For me... I saw the third Underworld movie and wasn't expecting much, but I enjoyed it. Much better than the second, IMO.

And I liked Crystal Skull, too. My husband thought the alien stuff was weird - but is it any stranger than opening a box making a bunch of Nazis spontaneously combust? ;)

Horton Hears A Who - 10/10

Great movie! LOVED IT ALL! Hilarious! Everyone says a book is better than the film... Can a book show this much humor and talent? I think not.

Street Fighter : Chun Li - 4/10

Ugh... feel dirty that I actually took the time to watch this. Kristin Kreuk is the only reason I bothered and well that was a mistake.

Public Enemies

Not a bad movie, not a great movie. Good action. Am I the only one who had a problem with Johnny Depp in this role? I hope not.

[quote name='KingBroly']Public Enemies

Not a bad movie, not a great movie. Good action. Am I the only one who had a problem with Johnny Depp in this role? I hope not.[/QUOTE]
I thought Depp did alright in the role. He wasn't great but he was better than Bale at his role.

I'll be seeing Public Enemies no matter what. It stars possibly my favorite actor of all time, Johnny Depp, and one of my favorites of right now in Christian Bale. Also, I have a strong interest in the Dillinger gang and the life of John Dillinger in general. I've done a lot of reading on the subject.

Last Horror Movie - 3/5 - Last Horror Movie is Behind the Mask but as a serial killer, Behind the mask was more of a "slasher" character. I think i laughed more during BtM since it pokes fun at the genre and Last Horror Movie throws questions like "Why do you need to see the gore/killshot". Its an enjoyable film, shot doc style and well done.

Cyborg with JCVD is horrible...watched it after Last Horror Movie, ugh!

Labor_pains.jpg

Labor Pains (2009)

Fucking awful and worthless, but it pretty much confirms I'll watch anything with Lindsay Lohan. Avoid, unless you love the firecrotch as much as I do.

Sling Blade (1996)

I have no idea how this film completely escaped my movie-watching experiences for the past 13 years. But I am truly in love with this film after watching it for the first time today. I felt like I was watching a masterpiece. Perfect. How did this not get a nomination for Best Picture? Also, with Sling Blade and Fargo released in the same year, how the shit did The English Patient win Best Picture?

Great movies:
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
sundance is a badass
Gran Torino
more than just a racist's comedy
American Beauty
the title isn't ironic - its whats inside that counts
Pan's Layrinth
you wont be the first pig i gutted!

Year One was better than I thought it would be.
Transformers RotF was way too long, the comedy was the best part (just like in the 1st one).

Can anyone give recomendations off those top ones?

I saw "My Name Is Bruce." Man what a whiny prick.
and "My Lucky Stars,"
that movie was 30 minutes too long, and wtf?! Yuen Biao was only there for about 5 min!

Watchmen (2009)

Firstly, the version I watched was the Director's Cut (on DVD/Blu-Ray, July 21st), which is 3hrs 6mins long, the Theatrical Cut is only 2hrs 42mins long. Anyways, this was fucking awesome, and I absolutely loved it. I particularly liked the character of Rorschach, and also how Dr. Manhattan was so damn powerful, intelligent, and logical, without being annoying. I usually find superhero movies stupid as hell, but this was badass, like The Dark Knight. The best Live-Action film I've seen from 2009, (Coraline and Up are still #1 and #2, overall).

Public Enemies - much better than Miami Vice, I prefer The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford over this movie but it was still pretty good. Worth seeing if you enjoy Mann's films.

I recently watched Gran Torino. It was good but different than what I was led to believe from the trailers.

I also watched The Haunted Mansion for the second time(last time was when it came out) and it was better than I remember it being.

So the Angels & Demons movie is worse than The Vinci Code (or as they say in the hood, Da Vinci Code)?

I thought the book was so much better than Da Vinci Code.

Bolt
I haven't watched a kid's movie in ages but this was fairly enjoyable. The pigeons were especially funny.

Margot at the Wedding

A shitty indie movie filled with a ton of actors that I like. A waste of time and talent.

Watchmen - 4/5 - im not huge into comics so when i read watchmen before the movie, i got why this novel is a big deal. overall i enjoy movies more as a medium so seeing those panels/frames on the tv was amazing. just ate up everything about the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back