Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really really disappointed with Robocop on Blu Ray... I could pop in my DVD copy and have the PS3 upscale it and it was the same... :\

[quote name='VipFREAK']I was really really disappointed with Robocop on Blu Ray... I could pop in my DVD copy and have the PS3 upscale it and it was the same... :\[/QUOTE]

Yeah alot of it didn't go well, the news scenes were really bad. But Robocop walking about shooting people looked pretty good.

[quote name='Foo228']Saving Private Ryan

I couldn't watch it in one sitting.[/QUOTE]
Why?
Saving Private Ryan is easily one of the best war movies ever made. Well, at least one of the best WWII movies.
I watched that and Psycho last Saturday.

[quote name='saunderscowie']How come?

I just watched Robocop on blu ray. It's been a good 7-8 years since I last saw it. Total badass.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Azumangaman']Why?
Saving Private Ryan is easily one of the best war movies ever made. Well, at least one of the best WWII movies.
I watched that and Psycho last Saturday.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. I feel like saying I got bored of it, but that doesn't sound right.

I did feel like I'd rather play CoD or something, though.

Well I know I try watching movies sometimes, but all of a sudden I feel like I need to go do something else...
Hopefully that's it, because you have to watch that movie.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Well I know I try watching movies sometimes, but all of a sudden I feel like I need to go do something else...
Hopefully that's it, because you have to watch that movie.[/QUOTE]
Finished it today, it was long. I can't say I had a blast through it (or even most of it). I don't think I had the right mindset going in.

Too serious for my tastes.

--
Just got back from a midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

The movie didn't do the book justice.

Same goes for HP as with SPR: It was long. I can't say I had a blast through it (or even most of it). I don't think I had the right mindset going in.

Too pg for my tastes.

I hope I'm not turning into a film snob. :cry::cry:

I also just saw the midnight HP: Half Blood Prince.

I thought the book definitely had a strong plot to make a good movie, but I think there was too much focus on the romance between the characters. I hate the change to the climax, and the whole "Half Blood Prince" part of the plot was completely removed except for a shitty shoehorning in the end to try and tie it up.

I'm disappointed, but I still had a good time.

(500) Days of Summer

Basically, "Stuff White People Like: The Movie." I am a white person, so I liked it. It's a kind of slight hipster romantic pseudo-comedy and aspires to be more than it actually is, but I appreciated the effort. Also wins points for excellent use of Han Solo.

[quote name='Foo228']I don't know. I feel like saying I got bored of it, but that doesn't sound right.

I did feel like I'd rather play CoD or something, though.[/QUOTE]

If your take-home from "Saving Private Ryan" is that you want to go play CoD, I think you may have missed the point. :roll:

SPOILER:
WAR IS BAD

[quote name='Tybee']If your take-home from "Saving Private Ryan" is that you want to go play CoD, I think you may have missed the point. :roll:

SPOILER:
WAR IS BAD
[/QUOTE]

lol I got that (as it was so well done at the beginning) but one should be entertained in a movie, right? SPR wasn't a dull documentary but it wasn't nearly as entertaining as I thought it would be.

Maybe war (movies) isn''t/aren't my cup of tea, that's all - don't know if that's the point your getting at, which makes sense.

I agree
War Is Bad
but I think Generation Kill is a way harder to watch because it's a fucking pointless. If THAT makes you want to play CoD you have a serious problem. Or need to be shipped off to Iraq. lol

[quote name='Tybee'](500) Days of Summer

Basically, "Stuff White People Like: The Movie." I am a white person, so I liked it. It's a kind of slight hipster romantic pseudo-comedy and aspires to be more than it actually is, but I appreciated the effort. Also wins points for excellent use of Han Solo.[/QUOTE]

looking forward to seeing 500days this weekend.

[quote name='Foo228']lol I got that (as it was so well done at the beginning) but one should be entertained in a movie, right? SPR wasn't a dull documentary but it wasn't nearly as entertaining as I thought it would be.

Maybe war (movies) isn''t/aren't my cup of tea, that's all - don't know if that's the point your getting at, which makes sense.[/QUOTE]

The point of SOME movies is entertainment. Certainly not all. Lord knows there are (too) many movies out there that serve no purpose but to provide pretty pictures and loud noises to accompany the collective switching off of brains. But there are movies (and not just documentaries) that are meant to educate or enlighten you, to tell a story that may not be "entertaining," but is important and enriching nonetheless.

Sometimes you're supposed to feel sadness, regret, confusion, anger...to question what you see onscreen. I should hope you would wonder about what the characters are feeling and what motivates their actions. SPR may not be the most profound war movie out there, but it certainly should have made you wonder about the nature of war and man's inhumanity to man, the value of one life versus several, etc. I find it disturbing that someone could watch that film and not feel remorse or sadness....just a sense of not being "entertained."

[quote name='Tybee']The point of SOME movies is entertainment. Certainly not all. Lord knows there are (too) many movies out there that serve no purpose but to provide pretty pictures and loud noises to accompany the collective switching off of brains. But there are movies (and not just documentaries) that are meant to educate or enlighten you, to tell a story that may not be "entertaining," but is important and enriching nonetheless.

Sometimes you're supposed to feel sadness, regret, confusion, anger...to question what you see onscreen. I should hope you would wonder about what the characters are feeling and what motivates their actions. SPR may not be the most profound war movie out there, but it certainly should have made you wonder about the nature of war and man's inhumanity to man, the value of one life versus several, etc. I find it disturbing that someone could watch that film and not feel remorse or sadness....just a sense of not being "entertained."[/QUOTE]

I get that it's honorable and killing many to save one man is the contrary of what people would want done, but I didn't feel with the characters. Maybe it's due to a lack of miliary experience/education or even a lack of interest.

I have seen movies that were thought provoking but SPR wasn't one of them. It seemed to be nothing special in my eyes, just another war movie. That doesn't mean I saw it as shallow, as life and death is anything but that, it's just that I like to get more out of my movies (usually something original to ponder upon/talk to others about).

Mesrine part 1 and 2 Its the story of Frances most notorious criminal. I guess its based on the book he wrote. Anyway, it was a pretty descent flick. The acting sometimes came off as a little bit over the top and they just missed the mark on having it feel like a true hollywood film. Gerard Depardieu is in it and didn't even recognize him, my wife had to point him out.

Punisher: War Zone

I actually went into this expecting it to suck, but I was surprised. Ultra-brutal gory near-remorseless violence. Pretty much the MAX imprint Punisher in movie form. I like.

[quote name='whoknows']Is it less boring than the last one?[/QUOTE]

I didn't find the last one boring at all, but if you did this one will probably be even worse as there was more action in the last one.

The Hangover (2009)

This was fucking great. Funniest comedy I've seen in a good while. Unlike most comedies, every damn scene is hilarious. Seriously, there's no dramatic moments, no touching character development, just every scene being played for laughs. And none of the comedy really comes from the characters being clever, the jokes are the situations they're in, or the way they react to something. Ken Jeong is especially funny as a flamboyant Asian gangster. Hopefully they don't ruin the awesomeness of this film, with The Hangover 2 in 2011.

[quote name='MisterModest']The Hangover (2009)

This was fucking great. Funniest comedy I've seen in a good while. Unlike most comedies, every damn scene is hilarious. Seriously, there's no dramatic moments, no touching character development, just every scene being played for laughs. And none of the comedy really comes from the characters being clever, the jokes are the situations they're in, or the way they react to something. Ken Jeong is especially funny as a flamboyant Asian gangster. Hopefully they don't ruin the awesomeness of this film, with The Hangover 2 in 2011.[/QUOTE]

The Hangover 2 has already been green lighted.

Harry fucking Potter and the fucking Half Blood Prince.

The movie could have been about 50% better if they kept out all the lame young love scenes and the random funny parts and put in more action. I was waiting on the end to see all the EPIC to occur during the pwnage of Hogwarts but was left with little to nibble at. Dumbledore's death should have been more dramatic, not a quick 3 seconds of him falling backwards. My butthole was pulsing from the RAPE that followed the end of the movie. Could have been much much better, but instead, I paid $16 (for the gf and I) to watch something that was mediocre at best. Oh well, student night discount + free soda and popcorn made up for it.

In the end the, I still really liked the movie, just because my boyfriend Harry Potter was in it. I rank it 3/4 out of the 6 movies so far. 1. Goblet of Fire, 2. Prisoner of Azkaban(sp?), 3/4. Order of the Phoenix and/or Half Blood Prince.

Don't waste your money if you want a really good movie, but if you're a fan, of course it's a must. Don't bring friends or in my case, the girlfriend, if they haven't followed the story. Too much confusion for those who are not Harry Potter's bitches.

[quote name='lawdood']The Hangover 2 has already been green lighted.[/QUOTE]
Yeah...I know. I clearly referenced its release, set for 2011.

City by the Sea - It had a few slow moments over all a good movie.

The Score - Great movie De Niro and Norton kick ass in this movie!

Severence - Dark comedy horror some pretty funny moments that break up the horror tension.

Hellboy: Sword of Storms (2006)

An average film, with good animation. The plot was stupid. Like the live-action films, the best thing about it was the Hellboy character itself, and not what's actually happening in the film.

Hellboy: Blood and Iron (2007)

Same way I felt with the first animated film, just completely average. I've read most people think this was better than the first, but I think they're pretty equal in quality, if not the first one even being a little bit better.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)

Not terrible, but not great either. The plot was engaging at least.

[quote name='mooshie78']I didn't find the last one boring at all, but if you did this one will probably be even worse as there was more action in the last one.[/QUOTE]

You were right. I went and saw it yesterday and I was bored to tears.

Terminator Salvation. Not as bad as I was expecting, but still not that good. I hated the Marcus storyline, but thought the rest was pretty good.

Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero (1998)

A hell of a lot better than the first animated Batman film. The plot is much better, and the action is more exciting. The motorcycle chase with Robin after Mr. Freeze is awesome. Speaking of Robin, the odd thing about watching this without the five year gap after Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, is having Robin and Batgirl randomly appear out of nowhere.

House of 1000 Corpses (2003)

Mind-numbing. Before today, I had never seen this, or The Devil's Rejects before. My wife, who loves both films, suggested we watch them. My wife said I should like this film, because it's fucked up, and I like fucked up shit. Well it's fucked up, but not in a good way, just in a worthless way. It's not scary at all, it's just weird, and it felt like it was weird just for the sake of being weird, with absolutely no point. And the ending is dragged the fuck out, no climax at all. I was not looking forward to the sequel...

The Devil's Rejects (2005)

One of the rare times where a sequel is so incredibly better than the original. It was badass, sexy, and truly disgusting. Right from the start with the shootout, you can tell this film is going to be much better than its predecessor. The plot is so much better, and more exciting. William Forsythe as the crazy Sheriff looking for revenge was so cool. It also has Diamond Dallas Page AND Danny Trejo.

Been doing nothing but watching movies this week.

Got about a half hour in Land Of The Lost before turning it off. And I never turn off movies, this was just beyond bad. Maybe it got better further in, but I had no patience for it.

Ended up watching the new Last House On The Left. Decent enough, no real complaints about it. Wife thought one particular scene went on way to long (for those of you how have seen it I'm sure you know which one I am talking about).

The Hangover (2009)
Incredible.

M (1931)
Easily one of the best movies I've ever seen.

L'Avventura (1960)
A very strange movie. I'm still trying to absorb it, but I enjoyed what I saw very much.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Surprised how good it was, I'm not sure if I like it or Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban more but it's definitely great either way.

Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince. The drug references, sexual innuendo, and just plain funny one liners set this movie apart from the others. I liked it even if it was kinda cheesy.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Yep, the 1990 original. Follows the comic's story more than the cartoons, which was surprising back in the day, considering how popular the cartoon was. Didn't really understand that when I was a kid, all I cared about was that Donatello was REAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back