Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe me, I know that this is THE essential zombie movie (even though I absolutely believe Romero's Dawn of the Dead is far superior and the best zombie movie ever made). The reason I feel like these aren't "normal" zombies is that when you look at Dawn and Day, those zombies have one speed, and it's slow. Some of Night's zombies speed up, slow down, and the fact that they're picking shit up unprovoked to break down doors implies that they were smart at this point, when according to Romero's timeline, they didn't advance at all until Land of the Dead. If I remember, in Dawn, I only ever remember two zombies carrying something. The one zombie tearing the gun away from one cop in an effort to get to him, and the krishna zombie MAYBE carrying his tambourine, and even that might've been on his side.

Sorry for this long explanation. Again, not saying Night of the Dead sucked, it was merely ok. Just had to say why these zombies felt "different" in some ways.

I forgot about Wall-E, nice.
smile

Ong Bak 2 - Acceptable for watching Tony Jaa beat the hell out of people. It tries for a plot told mostly through flashbacks, and none of it is very interesting. This is apparently a two-part movie, which I did not know going into it. Everyone in the theater was confused at the credit roll. Tony Jaa probably has 5 lines, all of them yelling something.

Australia - Eh, not bad. The tone is kind of weird - the early parts of the film are kind of screwball/comedy, of all things. For an epic 3 hour movie, there are basically two segments - the cattle drive and the war, and the movie doesn't do a good job showing the passage of time. CGI cows are weird. But it's sincere and passionate film making, so I didn't hate it.

Kung Fu Panda - I was expecting to enjoy this, but I didn't. It looks great, but I didn't feel there was enough to the characters to carry the movie. I know it's an animated kid's movie, but I think they needed more development all around. What's the point of the all-star cast if nobody talks (thinking about the Furious Five)?

Drag Me to Hell. I enjoyed it. I like the main scene towards the end in the Mansion.
The Goat was really funny. Overall very enjoyable.

Midnight Movie - Interesting take on the horror genre. Mainly about a killer who uses a movie he directed to torment the viewers of the films. The killer basically jumps out of the movie to kill people and then drag them back into the movie. Definitely a B movie but I thought is was worth the $10 I paid for it on Bluray.

In Night of the Living Dead, they are technically not zombies. They don't exactly fit the mold because there was no mold. In that movie they were "flesh eaters" (original title was Night of the Flesh Eaters). Romero didn't set out to make zombies. In fact, they are not even called "zombies" until Dawn of the Dead and only because Romero embraced the fans retroactively calling his creation "zombies."

[quote name='crunchb3rry']In Night of the Living Dead, they are technically not zombies. They don't exactly fit the mold because there was no mold. In that movie they were "flesh eaters" (original title was Night of the Flesh Eaters). Romero didn't set out to make zombies. In fact, they are not even called "zombies" until Dawn of the Dead and only because Romero embraced the fans retroactively calling his creation "zombies."[/QUOTE]

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Rise from the grave... Check.
Attack the living... Check.
Newly dead turn into flesh eaters... Check.

The history you provided may be true, but those SoB's are zombies. Love the original by the way.

[quote name='chimpster1313']Believe me, I know that this is THE essential zombie movie (even though I absolutely believe Romero's Dawn of the Dead is far superior and the best zombie movie ever made). The reason I feel like these aren't "normal" zombies is that when you look at Dawn and Day, those zombies have one speed, and it's slow. Some of Night's zombies speed up, slow down, and the fact that they're picking shit up unprovoked to break down doors implies that they were smart at this point, when according to Romero's timeline, they didn't advance at all until Land of the Dead. If I remember, in Dawn, I only ever remember two zombies carrying something. The one zombie tearing the gun away from one cop in an effort to get to him, and the krishna zombie MAYBE carrying his tambourine, and even that might've been on his side.

Sorry for this long explanation. Again, not saying Night of the Dead sucked, it was merely ok. Just had to say why these zombies felt "different" in some ways.[/QUOTE]

Actually in Dawn the intelligence began showing, as the zombies had thoughts from their previous lives that drew them toward the mall. Day furthered it a lot with Bub, Land, while a terrible movie, showed the intelligence returning to many zombies.

[quote name='chimpster1313']Believe me, I know that this is THE essential zombie movie (even though I absolutely believe Romero's Dawn of the Dead is far superior and the best zombie movie ever made). The reason I feel like these aren't "normal" zombies is that when you look at Dawn and Day, those zombies have one speed, and it's slow. Some of Night's zombies speed up, slow down, and the fact that they're picking shit up unprovoked to break down doors implies that they were smart at this point, when according to Romero's timeline, they didn't advance at all until Land of the Dead. If I remember, in Dawn, I only ever remember two zombies carrying something. The one zombie tearing the gun away from one cop in an effort to get to him, and the krishna zombie MAYBE carrying his tambourine, and even that might've been on his side.

Sorry for this long explanation. Again, not saying Night of the Dead sucked, it was merely ok. Just had to say why these zombies felt "different" in some ways.[/QUOTE]
Damn you know a lot about Zombies. I never got that into it. I think I've seen the original, the remake, then I forget what others ones I've seen probably another 3 or so, but it's been so long. I wish they'd show the sequels on tv, but they keep showing every crap horror movie except the good ones, minus The Shining of course.

wow, i'm so glad that all of us zombie movie nerds could get together, slightly disagree but all ultimately understand what zombies have done in romero movies. yeah!

in other news, just rewatched the scream trilogy. scream, still awesome and my second favorite scary movie ever. scream 2, gets better than i remember every time i watch it, but not that great. scream 3, always the same to me. perfectly average. i'm a sucker for ghostface, i can't put the movies down that much.

Saw Where The Wild Things Are last week. Liked it and the soundtrack was neat. I don't remember the book anymore so I don't care to compare.

The Rocker- 8/10; I missed the beginning but what I saw was really good. Rain Wilson was great. Any more drama and it would have failed.

2 and a half words...

TRICK R TREAT
10/10
this movie was so good. story telling was done superbly which made it so enjoyable. it can be scary when it wants to be but i think the story is what made me love this movie so much. it is a MUST WATCH

i saw it on halloween and the day after because i couldnt stop thinking about it. go watch it now!

also saw year one and coincidentally, the rating is a one. its one of those hit and miss type of movies and this shit misses alot which makes it reeeeal awkward.. actually i've seen alot worse so i suppose its more like 4/10..bah, this is just a crappy movie. it had alot of potential to be funny..

Robocop is bad ass.

Last movie I saw didn't suck...Crazy Eights. Loved it, generally creeped out the entire film. Loved the score and cast selection.

Law Abiding Citizen - I quite liked it even though the ending did feel a bit abrupt and out of place. Gerard Butler was pretty good and I was rooting for him the entire time, oddly enough.

Where the Wild Things Are - A friend of mine that saw it too said he was disappointed because there was barely a plot to the movie, which is true. However, I thought the movie captured the feeling of not only the book (what little I can remember) but of also being a kid. I can't remember the last time a movie made me grin like that so much.

Surrogates - I thought it looked stupid from the trailers and it did not disappoint. Not to mention I think this is the first time Rosamund Pike managed not to give me a boner.

Zombieland - Was a little light on zombies for a zombie movie, much like Shaun of the Dead was, but it made up for it by being pretty hilarious. My friends and I thought it was significant (not to mention hilarious) that the people that make it far in the zombie apocalypse are red necks and gamers.

The Wave (Die Welle) - A German film based on a teaching experiment done in the 60s in California. While the movie was quite well done, the ending became rather obvious early on and was, in my opinion, misguided at that. It could have gone a much more provocative route but in the end went for a cheaper 'shock' ending that wasn't even.

Surrogate - not bad...some things were confusing and/or didnt make sense but still enjoyable

9 - liked this a LOT. thought the animation was excellent and i liked that they werent afraid to show certain things (like dead bodies)

[quote name='saunderscowie']ROBOCOP 2

Less badass than the first, but still badass.[/QUOTE]

Do yourself a big favor and stop there. Don't do #3:fridge:

since ive been sick and been at home....netflix has been my best friend! some favorites i liked which probably sucked or not but i still love em are:

Side Out
Romancing the Stone
WildCats
Oldboy
Lady Vengeance
Braveheart
Porky's
Police Academy 4
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Slapshot
Princess Bride
Spies Like Us
This is England
Glory

all in a span of about 4 days. Bad cold which has now turnd in to bronchitis..whoopee!

[quote name='spoo']Do yourself a big favor and stop there. Don't do #3:fridge:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have stopped, I don't want to watch 3 never again.

Watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus last night.

Downfall - Pretty amazing. They were able to make Nazi Germany sympathetic without turning anyone into a martyr or hero. From what I've read (mostly "The Last Battle" by Cornelius Ryan), the movie is very accurate. To see the world of shit that Hitler led his country (willingly it must be said) into is staggering.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Jacob's Ladder

fucking hell, it's like everything I write is inspired by a movie I just now saw.[/QUOTE]
I've been meaning to see this again, especially after playing Silent Hill.

Wow.. The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 did not suck.. not even a little.. well, okay, a little bit, only due to the slow motion blurry camera action scenes that were overused. Good movie, though, as expected.

Transformers: Revenge of something or Other - First time and I watched it with the Rifftrax. A decent Riff but a god awful movie. It improved on the original as in it had more interaction with the Transformers but besides the racist stereotype duo and the Tommy DeVito Transformer none of the other transformers got enough screen time to differ them from each other. The plot was one that would have been in the cartoon but they stretched a 20-40 minute plot to a mind-numbing 2 1/2 hours with plenty of dick and fart jokes.

Absence of Malice
- Decent movie but the last scene totally ruined it for me.
So you are telling me after all that happened Gallagher and Alice are still on good terms? She ruined his business, made his best friend kill herself and backstabed him every chance she got. She had no qualms writing every little piece of dirt on Gallagher but she wouldn't rat on the federal agent. On the other hand Gallagher fucked over Sally's career to no end but Absence of Malice ended with dramatic ending that showed how they have feelings for each other. fuck that in real life they would loathe each other.

Paranormal Activity - Surprisingly a pretty good movie although I never found it to be scary at all. The theatrical ending wasn't great and from what I hear, the alternate ending or the original ending would have been better.

Halloween 2 - I'm not much for these types of movies but I actually enjoyed the first half of the movie or so. It wasn't great but it was somewhat entertaining. The ending however was just stupid and in fact had me laughing.

The Men Who Stare At Goats - In a word, hilarious. It's been a while since I laughed that hard at a movie. Jeff Bridges was awesome.

The Fourth Kind - It actually was better and more intriguing than I thought it would be, but any sort of suspension of disbelief I had going in soon faded, even with all the supposed archive footage and such.

Black Dynamite

check out the trailer - http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/blackdynamite/
then check out the red band trailer - http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/black-dynamite/red-band-trailer

the movie is like a dead-pan version of I'm Gonna Get You Sucka. it's freaking great.

Black Dynamite - "I'm declaring war on anybody who sells drugs in our community"
Pimp - "But Black Dynamite, I sell drugs to the community"

it's so hilarious I'm this close to linking to the movie itself if not for the mods.

Paranormal Activity. Starts off slow but picks up at the end.

The Brothers Bloom. Bang Bang is the best character out of the movie.

Moon. Great character driven movie.

Zombieland - Very good, not as good as Shaun Of The Dead, but a close second.

Jennifer's Body - Was better than I was expecting, but I was expecting crap

The Tournament - Kelly Hu, Ving Rhames, and a bunch of others are assassins that kill eachother in the UK for a prize. They have 24 hours to kill eachother, survivor wins.
Its not an amazing movie but it is fun in a Battle Royale sorta way. It has some over the top human explosions and ridiculous action scenes which makes it fun to watch with others. Check it out if you like fun action movies......and of course Kelly Hu *drool*

[quote name='naiku']The Tournament - Kelly Hu, Ving Rhames, and a bunch of others are assassins that kill eachother in the UK for a prize. They have 24 hours to kill eachother, survivor wins.
Its not an amazing movie but it is fun in a Battle Royale sorta way. It has some over the top human explosions and ridiculous action scenes which makes it fun to watch with others. Check it out if you like fun action movies......and of course Kelly Hu *drool*[/QUOTE]
The Tournament. It was a pretty decent action movie.

Zombieland.
Bill fucking Murray has the best part.

Groundhog's Day - Good movie, pretty funny.

Taxi Driver - Good, but very strange. Had a lot of really well directed scenes.

Trick 'R Treat - Just alright, give me Creepshow any day over this.

The Running Man - Its an Arnold movie, it was great and hilarious.

paranormal activity was really good. I didnt see the theatrical ending which i heard was too hollywood..If you watch this movie like an ass making snide comments about this and that, you arent going to like it and it probably isnt the movie for you. I, however loved it since im into the paranormal stuff and know that something like this might happen and the fear is REAL. i didnt see any trailers so that was good i hear.

this is the type of movie where i thought about it for a couple days scaring myself once or twice. this movie isnt for everyone. seems to be more like love it or hate it. i would see it again for the different endings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back