Survivor 19: Samoa - Official Discussion Thread

I think an immunity idol is always in play. If someone finds it there is no new idol until it is used or that person is voted out. There is now another idol hidden somewhere for Russell to find. This season is going to change the idol forever because people will be looking for it all the time now with or without clues. The problem the producers have is exactly what Russell mentioned last night - they have to hide it near a landmark or something otherwise even with the clues it would be impossible to find.
I really hope Russell finds a way to stick around and get rid of the Foa Foa crew - it was 8-4 when they merged!

I'm genuinely disappointed that Russell didn't keep his mouth shut. It would have made him a bigger villain than Fairplay.
That and flashing back to him finding the idol when he played it. That would have been a brown note moment.

That was one of the best tribal council moments ever. It jumped ahead of the one where one of two guys had an immunity idol, they thought the tribe would vote out one guy, so he used it but in turn they actually voted out the other. I can't remember names or season, but it was hilarious to see their faces.

It looks like everyone is sticking to Russell's back in next week's episode while he's looking for the idol. I hope he finds it again, hes a beast.

I haven't watched Survivor in years, but am watching this season and loving because of Russell. He started a "villain" but now he is playing the game as well as anyone I have seen play it. What is the tiebreaker in Tribal Counsel? It looks to me like next week very well should be a 5-5 tie unless someone switches alliances (the blond who killed the mouse seems the most likely candidate for that) or the immunity idol is played.

[quote name='The Truth 34']I haven't watched Survivor in years, but am watching this season and loving because of Russell. He started a "villain" but now he is playing the game as well as anyone I have seen play it. What is the tiebreaker in Tribal Counsel? It looks to me like next week very well should be a 5-5 tie unless someone switches alliances (the blond who killed the mouse seems the most likely candidate for that) or the immunity idol is played.[/QUOTE]

In past seasons it's been prior votes. If memory serves me correct a few random votes thrown around came to knock someone out of the game during a tie.

Russell is the man. It will suck if/when he gets voted out - he really is making this look easy. He hasn't complained once about anything except for how stupid the other players are.

I think Shambo is going to flip for sure. Maybe Dave Ball, because he seems genuinely impressed with Russell.

I bet one of Russell's own old tribe members finds the idol and just gives it to him while Russell leads the others on a wild goose chase to where he knows the idol is not located.

You can bet the rules are going to change drastically next season. They can't just hide the idol in camp anymore. It would have to be like in the middle of fucking nowhere with a legit treasure map.

That's why I'm rooting for Russell now. He's the only one there with common sense that anybody who has even seen only a few seasons should know. He found two idols without any clues simply because he applied knowledge from watching the show. Some of these people seems to have no clue what show they signed up for.

I'm praying Jayson or someone finds it and just gives it to Russell so he can play it again and put him and his old tribemates in a power position with Shambo as the linchpin.

I'm with you, Rocko. I thought the people tied had to make a fire and the first one to burn the string lost. I dunno about this.

Good, I'm glad John voted Laura out.

This is now my favorite season. Two epic tribal councils in a row and Russell freaking found his third immunity idol - he also called out Monica's ploy to throw votes to John. That guy can play.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Since it was the old rule.[/QUOTE]
I can see why they came up with a new rule, because that's pretty stupid.

[quote name='Rocko']I can see why they came up with a new rule, because that's pretty stupid.[/QUOTE]
AFAIK this has always been the rule for standard Tribal Council. The only time they go to a "making fire" challenge was to determine who would go to the finale, IIRC.

Either way, epic episode. Russell has forever changed the way hidden immunity will be played.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='javeryh']This is now my favorite season. Two epic tribal councils in a row and Russell freaking found his third immunity idol - he also called out Monica's ploy to throw votes to John. That guy can play.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. This is by far the best season yet. Got some EPIC gameplay :applause:.

From wikipedia:

"Purple Rock" controversy

Paschal's elimination marked a large controversy in the game of Survivor. In the Episode Thirteen Tribal Council, Neleh and Kathy each received two votes while Vecepia was immune. In previous tie situations, where a re-vote did not determine a single contestant to be eliminated, votes from past tribal councils were used, and the contestant with the most prior votes was eliminated. In Marquesas, the prior votes rule was no longer used; instead contestants who were not immune would pull rocks colored yellow and purple from a sack. The contestant with the purple rock would be eliminated. In this situation, Kathy and Neleh drew yellow rocks, and Paschal pulled the purple rock. Despite having received no votes in the entire game, he was eliminated due to chance. Probst later admitted that using the purple rock tie-breaker was a mistake at this point in the game, because the formula behind it was impossible to apply fairly with only four survivors left.

No tie occurred on the show until six seasons later on Palau. It was during that season that the tie-breaker was revealed to be a fire-making challenge. However, Survivors who took part in the show between the Marquesas and Palau seasons believed that the "Purple Rock" challenge was still intact. As a result, many contestants would change alliances in order to avoid another tie and another chance of drawing the "Purple Rock."

Since Palau, there have been four tie situations that were settled with fire-making challenges, all of which were at the Final Four stage of the game. In Survivor: Micronesia, it was theorized by Cirie Fields that the purple rock tiebreaker is the tiebreaker for all ties except in the Final Four, when a challenge is used instead.

John definitely made the right move by changing his vote and getting Laura out. If he didn't there was a 12.5% chance of him going home - the object is to make it to the next week and a 0% chance is obviously way better. He also just bought himself 3 extra weeks if the Foa Foa 6 can get rid of the last 3 Galu members. Once that happens he will be in a good spot to win individual immunity and you've got to figure Shambo would be an easy target at that point.

[quote name='javeryh']John definitely made the right move by changing his vote and getting Laura out. If he didn't there was a 12.5% chance of him going home - the object is to make it to the next week and a 0% chance is obviously way better. He also just bought himself 3 extra weeks if the Foa Foa 6 can get rid of the last 3 Galu members. Once that happens he will be in a good spot to win individual immunity and you've got to figure Shambo would be an easy target at that point.[/QUOTE]Same logic I thought of last night once it went to the second vote after the tie.

Regardless if he has a target on his back after this, the 3 Galu members aren't in a position to do much except count the days until they leave.

I agree - even though it rarely works out like that in Survivor. I do think that the remaining three are screwed because of the crap they tried to pull this week - outwardly lying to get Foa Foa to split votes. They also can't vote out a Foa Foa next week like John wanted Russell to promise because that would just tie things up again and create more uncertainty.

[quote name='javeryh']I agree - even though it rarely works out like that in Survivor. I do think that the remaining three are screwed because of the crap they tried to pull this week - outwardly lying to get Foa Foa to split votes. They also can't vote out a Foa Foa next week like John wanted Russell to promise because that would just tie things up again and create more uncertainty.[/QUOTE]If the Foa Foa 4 + Shambo stick to voting out a Galu to make sure they keep number superiority despite what Russell promised John and John flips back to the other Galu 3, there's nothing he can do unless John flips one of the Foa Foa members to the Galu 3 + John.

Giving Laura the boot was the turning point to the final 6 being the Foa Foa 4 + John + Shambo. It's pretty much a done deal at this point unless some serious flipping goes on.

I just hope Russell sticks around as long as possible. This season is already awesome and we still have 9 people left. Usually it doesn't get really interesting until there are 6 or so. I still don't know anything about Mick and the dude who broke two plates last night - including his name!

Hey, I can at least rest easy knowing Russell will be there to ask questions on finale night. And 80% of the reunion show will probably be questions directed towards him. Best Survivor ever. Makes Richard Hatch and Johnny Fairplay look like punks.

I also figure that Foa Foa, Shambo and John are solid for the final 6, but I always think that in Big Brother when one alliance finally gets a solid majority, and usually before they can pick everyone else off, something goes down and the lines are redrawn, so I'm not holding my breath. I could easily see some kind of trickery going down and one of those 6 going home before the other 3.

I wonder when the three idiots from Galu are going to go to Nick and Jaison and try to get rid of Russell. What a bunch of idiots.

I will feel absolutely robbed if Russell does not win this season. Everyone else is too ignorant to win.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I wonder when the three idiots from Galu are going to go to Nick and Jaison and try to get rid of Russell. What a bunch of idiots.

I will feel absolutely robbed if Russell does not win this season. Everyone else is too ignorant to win.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Don't they all realize if he makes it with them in the end that he will win since he is the only one truly playing the game.

also, I agree with Ronzilla. This is easily the best season of Survivor since the beginning. The casting director should earn all sort of awards.

This is the first time in a long time there has been a cohesive cast. Seems like everybody had good moments. Not like past seasons where there is like 10 fucktards they have to weed out before the personas of the remaining survivors come out.

Quite easily the most solid and diverse cast ever assembled. Can't wait for All Stars (or All Villains if the rumors are true) next season.

Except for that one guy on Galu who has had ZERO screen time and I still don't even know what his name is. He must have done something to piss off the producers.

I'm hoping Russell and Natalie make it to the finals. Natalie is playing an excellent and subtle game. Her strategy is good (lay low; go with the group) her social game is good (making friends; helping around camp) and her physical game is good (huge asset in team challenges; has come close to winning a few individual ones). Plus she is smoking hot.

Javeryh: You talking about purple shirt with green stripes guy? Noone can vote for him because even the contestants don't know his name...

[quote name='crunchb3rry']

Quite easily the most solid and diverse cast ever assembled. Can't wait for All Stars (or All Villains if the rumors are true) next season.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's already filmed. Good guys v. Villains...and we get more Russell. And from what I've heard he's more of the same :)

That guy's name is Brett, but I'm not sure why I even know his name. He's easily the most forgettable Survivor. Mick doesn't get much screen time either, but at least everyone acknowledges his existence.

Good guys vs. bad guys would be so epic. Rupert, Bob and Yau-Man vs Russell, Johnny Fairplay and Richard Hatch, bring it on.

Looks like this is the "rumored" LINEUP. May also include Ken Hoang, Tom Buchanan, & Tina Wesson.

I'm not sure if they're gonna top this season but it's a HELLUVA group. Too bad Hatch aint on there.

Hopefully they'll fix the way idols are hidden this time cause you know what Russ will be doing LOL:lol:.

Is Ken supposed to be a villian or a good guy? I don't remember him doing much of anything during his season. He tried to make plays, but didn't really make anything happen.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Is Ken supposed to be a villian or a good guy? I don't remember him doing much of anything during his season. He tried to make plays, but didn't really make anything happen.[/QUOTE]

Ken beat everyone at Super Smash Brothers Melee. Don't you remember ;).
Actually thought he made some smart moves from what I recall.

Didn't win, but played pretty well. Check this WIKI towards the bottom "SURVIVOR:GABON" section for what he did exactly.

Sometimes hard to remember all these damn seasons but I think he would be considered a good guy.

[quote name='tcrash247']That guy's name is Brett, but I'm not sure why I even know his name. He's easily the most forgettable Survivor. Mick doesn't get much screen time either, but at least everyone acknowledges his existence.

Good guys vs. bad guys would be so epic. Rupert, Bob and Yau-Man vs Russell, Johnny Fairplay and Richard Hatch, bring it on.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it's Brett?

I've been calling him Bacon.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Sugar, Stephanie and Parvati = boner.[/QUOTE]

Candace and Amanda are pretty hot too.

You know, if it's true that the season was done a while ago and Russell was in it, he will have had a huge advantage, since none of the other survivors knew his playing style.

bread's done
Back