Tactics Ogre Rebuild Coming

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
UPDATE: Available for preorder. Release Date Estimate March 31 2011
http://www.amazon.com/Tactics-Ogre-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283493770&sr=8-1

UPDATE: Official Site http://na.tacticsogregame.com/

UPDATE: Many Screenshots! Looking Epic!
tactics-ogre-psp-vs-snes-20100722100800125.jpg

More Screens:
tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together-20100730092316005_640w.jpg

tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together-20100730092319083_640w.jpg

tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together-20100730092321348_640w.jpg

tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together-20100730092322239_640w.jpg

tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together-20100730092344363_640w.jpg

tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together-20100730092346535_640w.jpg

tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together-20100730092354785_640w.jpg

Square Enix announced in this week's issue of Famitsu magazine that Tactics Ogre, one of the most well-known strategy RPGs of the 16-bit generation, is receiving a full remake on the PSP.

The remake, officially titled Tactics Ogre: The Wheel of Fortune in Japanese, is interesting because it's being spearheaded by largely the same people that were behind the original Tactics Ogre, launched on the Super Famicom in 1995 and later released on the PlayStation in America. Key staff includes director Hiroshi Minagawa, game designer Yasumi Matsuno, character designers Akihiko Yoshida and Tsubasa Masao, and music composers Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata.

In the Famitsu piece, Matsuno emphasized that The Wheel of Fortune isn't a remake so much as it is a "rebuilding" of the title from the ground up. The graphics are being fully upgraded, and while they retain the "16-bit" flavor of the original, you'll be able to change the viewing angle and even watch the battlefield from a straight overhead perspective. A variety of new features are promised on both the gameplay and battle-system fronts, although the basic turn-based system that emphasizes terrain advantages will remain in effect. Players can also expect a variety of new skills and classes for your army, and up to 30 units can be pitted against other in a single map, as opposed to 20 in the original.

Matsuno didn't go into details on what the titular "wheel of fortune" is all about, but hinted that taking advantage of that new gameplay element can help gamers get a break from the notoriously high difficulty level of the original, should they want it.

No release date was announced by Square Enix.
----
Of note is Matsuno this is his first game (other than Madworld's story) since he got sick making FF XII and had to bow out. It's great to see him back. His resume speaks for itself and he is one of only two game makers to have 2 games score a perfect 10 in Famitsu, and this was during the time Famitsu hardly ever gave out 10's.

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen: Director, scenario and game design
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together: Director, scenario and game design
Final Fantasy Tactics: Director, script and game design
Vagrant Story: Producer, director and battle design
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: Producer, original concept
Final Fantasy XII: Original concept, scenario plotter, and supervisor
MadWorld: Story

Last edited by a moderator:
GameSpot deemed it "a blast from the past for just about everyone." Comparing it to Final Fantasy Tactics, GameSpot says "Aesthetics aside, however, Tactics Ogre is purer and more playable than its hi-tech descendant and definitely worth a look from strategy/RPG enthusiasts."

RPGamer echoed that sentiment, stating "the core of this game's epic story and groundbreaking gameplay are timeless, emblematic reminders that the game is and forever will be a masterpiece. The original is always the best."

Fans were grateful that Quest ported the game to the PlayStation. RPGFan noted "Overall, Tactics Ogre is a great Strategy/RPG and with its depth and replayability this is one game fans of the Ogre Battle Saga should not miss. Atlus deserves credit for bringing another great Ogre Battle game over to the PlayStation and making many people happy!"

In March 2006, the Japanese Famitsu magazine readers voted on their 100 all-time favorite games, and Tactics Ogre was named number seven.

Due to the limited release of this game and the reluctance of its owners to sell it, the game tends to be hard to find. Used copies of the PlayStation version routinely sell for more than $80 -- a testament to its enduring fan base and rarity.

The soundtrack is particularly good at accenting the evil intentions of villains and the courageous nature of the protagonists."

I wonder what new gameplay elements will they add for this game. I hope they add job points system from Final Fantasy Tactics for this game. That would be awesome.

[quote name='masterledz']This game was great on GBA, although I remember it being a little on the short side. Here is hoping it will be great.[/QUOTE]

That was actually a prequel to this one. It goes

Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis
Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen
Ogre Battle 64 Person of Lordly Caliber
Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together.

I never played this one before, but if the guy behind Final Fantasy XII is on board then so am I! I still have to play Final Fantasy Tactics too.

I'm not sure how I didn't see this thread until now but thanks J7. This will definitely be a Day One purchase for me. I never thought we would see another Tactics Ogre game (even a remake) once SE bought the rights to Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre franchise.

BTW, I still have my complete copy of the PS version.

I heard they're taking steps to make it more approachable, I wouldn't worry, but difficulty is a good thing.

They've increased it to 30 units per map. That's pretty cool. At what point do you think there would be too many units per map in a TBSRPG? I would be okay with up to 50 perhaps, but it would be good if there were not too many varied types.

The official site has finally been updated with the following

Story
Characters
System
Key Features - coming soon
Multimedia - coming soon

I'm really excited about this. Gets rid of the guilt I had over selling my PS1 copy on ebay last year. (I got $110 for it but still..I missed it)

I felt off my chair when I came across the pre-order page while randomly browsing GS.

I prey this game does so freaken well that they make another Ogre Battle...

I'm so happy that I'll finally be able to quit searching for a cheap (hahahahaha!) copy of this on PSX.

Selling it was a huge mistake (didn't even make that much as I sold it ~2001) but happily, the new version seems to really retain the spirit of the original.

Hopefully it turns out like FFT on the PSP minus the shitty load times. Now I have to decide about keeping my PS1 copy or not. Assuming that nothing is botched in the PSP version I'll probably end up selling it off.

Tactics Ogre Director and Scenario Writer Yasumi Matsuno took to Twitter yesterday to talk about the size of the game across several tweets, telling fans that Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together has more text than Final Fantasy XII.

The original Tactics Ogre game, of which this is a remake, had some 300,000 characters throughout to tell its story in Japan. The PSP remake manages to more than double this, with over 700,000 characters used to tell the newly improved and fleshed out story.

That already sounds like a lot, but to underline it, Matsuno indicated that Final Fantasy XII had around 600,000 characters of text, and that game featured a pretty complex story at times. The upgrade from SNES to PSP affords an absolute ton more storage for dialogue and all the other elements of the game, and is the main reason for the massive upgrade.

It's out this November in Japan, and while it's been confirmed for a Western release, we don't know just when it's coming yet. As ever, stick with us for the latest on the game, and give us your thoughts in the comments!
-----
JA release date Nov 11 UMD 5,980 yen, download ~$10 less. Preorder gift for JA 22 tarot cards with game art

[quote name='Asgardian']I felt off my chair when I came across the pre-order page while randomly browsing GS.

I prey this game does so freaken well that they make another Ogre Battle...[/QUOTE]

Not quite, but check this out
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/08/20/ogre-battle-march-of-the-black-queen-mobile-gets-extra-maps/

[quote name='StarKnightX']Hopefully it turns out like FFT on the PSP minus the shitty load times. Now I have to decide about keeping my PS1 copy or not. Assuming that nothing is botched in the PSP version I'll probably end up selling it off.[/QUOTE]

It shouldn't have any shit load times because it's been remade rebuilt, not emulated. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='J7.']It shouldn't have any shit load times because it's been remade rebuilt, not emulated. :D[/QUOTE]

That may be true , but I wasn't looking at it as an emulation issue as much as an issue with the PSP in general. Still , gotta stay optimistic.:)

[quote name='StarKnightX']That may be true , but I wasn't looking at it as an emulation issue as much as an issue with the PSP in general. Still , gotta stay optimistic.:)[/QUOTE]
The last couple S-E PSP games have had a data install option that really cut load times. This shouldn't be any different.

FFT on PSP was just plain lazy. I still want to get more into it, as it has some stuff that the PSOne version doesn't but man, it gets painful at times.

[quote name='StarKnightX']That may be true , but I wasn't looking at it as an emulation issue as much as an issue with the PSP in general. Still , gotta stay optimistic.:)[/QUOTE]

My mistake. I've become so used to people complaining about FFT lag on PSP, but you had meant regular loading times which are also due to PSP itself. If they actually properly rebuild the game from the ground up and don't just enhance it I think the load times will be okay since it won't be pushing the hardware. Hopefully SE learned from what they did to FFT and I'm happy Tactics Ogre should benefit from that.

Really sucks that the Super Famicom gets Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, we get nothing. The Japanese PS1 gets Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, and we get Tactics Ogre. The PSP in Japan gets Tactics Ogre: The Wheel of Fortune, and we get Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. wtf?

[quote name='pete5883']Really sucks that the Super Famicom gets Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, we get nothing. The Japanese PS1 gets Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, and we get Tactics Ogre. The PSP in Japan gets Tactics Ogre: The Wheel of Fortune, and we get Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. wtf?[/QUOTE]

Although I'm sure you already know this but just to point it out , the PS1 version we got was still "Let us cling Together" it just only said this on the title screen , not on the cover art. That said , I do agree they sould ave gone ahead and given us the new subtitle as well , to better note that it's a redo (like FFT : The War of the Lions).

[quote name='StarKnightX']Although I'm sure you already know this but just to point it out , the PS1 version we got was still "Let us cling Together" it just only said this on the title screen , not on the cover art. That said , I do agree they sould ave gone ahead and given us the new subtitle as well , to better note that it's a redo (like FFT : The War of the Lions).[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I guess I wasn't clear. Just think it's dumb that they felt the need to change the name in the past, and now are using the old name instead of the new.

[quote name='pete5883']Yeah, I guess I wasn't clear. Just think it's dumb that they felt the need to change the name in the past, and now are using the old name instead of the new.[/QUOTE]

Gotta get the mileage out of that Queen license.

[quote name='pete5883']Actually, now that I think about it, it might be because someone else owns the rights to make Wheel Of Fortune games.[/QUOTE]

:lol: :applause:

The game is coming to North America on February 15th!

http://release.square-enix.com/na/2010/11/19_01.html

Sweet pre-order bonus as well!

TACTICS OGRE: LET US CLING TOGETHER ARRIVES ON PSP SYSTEM FEBRUARY 15, 2011

Complete Remake of the Classic Strategy RPG: Significant New Content, Updated Graphics, New Characters, Improved Gameplay and Redesigned Interface

Square Enix Details Collectible Tactics Ogre Tarot Card Deck Preorder Incentive
LOS ANGELES (November 19, 2010)Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in North America, today announced the February 15, 2011 North American release date of its highly anticipated strategy RPG, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together™ for the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) System. Square Enix also revealed the special bonus available to fans who preorder Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together from GameStop, EB Games Canada, Amazon.com or Amazon.ca: a beautiful Tactics Ogre Tarot Card Deck featuring unique illustrations by celebrated artist Akihiko Yoshida.

After more than a decade, the critically acclaimed Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together will be reborn with significant new content, including an entirely updated storyline featuring new characters, dramatic choices, engaging plots and pitched battles. The remake also features innovative changes to the battle system, character development, and even the combat interface, which all serve to update its classic strategic gameplay, making battles more intuitive and, most importantly, fun.

What continues to distinguish Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together from Final Fantasy Tactics® titles is a significantly more complex and dramatic storyline, which is greatly impacted by the choices players make during their adventures. Allow a town to be slaughtered or side with a particular knight on the battlefield and the player may gain new allies, sow new enemies and even push the story in entirely new directions.

In order to provide players with an opportunity to experience the multitude of branching pathways and a variety of endings, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together will also introduce the Chariot Tarot and World Tarot systems, which allow players to rewind both key battles and return to critical plot points in an effort to change their fate.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together remains one of most beloved strategy RPG titles of all time and is being developed by the same team who created the original title nearly two decades ago, including Hiroshi Minagawa (Director), Akihiko Yoshida (Character Designer), Yasumi Matsuno (Game Designer), Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata (Composers).

Story

Sing to me of a time long past.
A time when men answered to power alone.
Ruled by steel.
Steeped in darkness.
Sing of an age called Xytegenia.

Features

• From the creators of FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, VAGRANT STORY and FINAL FANTASY XII. The original TACTICS OGRE development team reform to revitalize their iconic title
  • Strategic, turn-based battles are brought to life with stunning graphics, sound effects and animation

• New 3D maps enhance the concept of height and the improved battle engine offers more compelling and realistic battles than ever before

• Uncover the truth in a gripping tale of intrigue, betrayal and heroism
  • Near-endless customization and hundreds of abilities to choose from

• New characters not included in the original game
  • New skills add to the range of play beyond magic and special abilities

• New graphics, music, gameplay and much more make this the definitive version of TACTICS OGRE.

• New and improved visuals create a TACTICS OGRE experience with more detail than ever before
  • Re-arranged soundtrack from the original composers including 15 new compositions

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together will be available for the PSP System at retailers beginning February 15, 2011 for an MSRP of $39.99. For more information about TACTICS OGRE, please visit the official website at http://www.tacticsogregame.com.

Soooo pumped for this game. This is the reason I decided to re-buy a PSP. I hope it sells well in NA and maybe paves the way for more from the franchise.

bread's done
Back