Tales from Good Will / Salvation Army 2008

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I certainly hope not, since it's annoying as it is paying $60-ish for basic cable(non digital), though I know if anyone would do it Comcast would butt rape us for another charge gladly.[/QUOTE]

Its not being done to rape anyone. Its being done to add room for more HD channels. You might not care about that but I as a HDTV owner sure does. Especially given that my area hasn't had a new HD channel added in over a year.

[quote name='Shazyzang']sn't worth too much, but it's a fun game. The sequels are worth a bit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback Shazyzang.

Anyone else have any recommendations on the Sega Genesis titles that I listed at the bottom of page 77? It's just that I'm out of town and I don't know if we'll be heading back to this aide of the city before I leave to go back to Maryland tomorrow. (My wife is trying on some dresses at the mall and we could go back to the GoodWill before going back to the resort.)

Spent $42.94 at Goodwill today which is more then id like to spend there. I got 10 NES games at $4 apiece. They are Friday The 13th, Exodus:Journey To The Promised Land, Pro Wrestling, Target:Renegade, Yoshi, TMNT, Ghostbusters 2, Tengen RBI Baseball, Castlevania 3, and Megaman 6. Left behind 2 SMB/Duck Hunts, another TMNT, a different baseball game, Top Gun, and Star Voyager. Digital Express has a total value of $68 for these but im not sure about that. Someone also dropped off drums for GuitarHero 4. Why would you just donate that its fairly new.

[quote name='juangrande386']Spent $42.94 at Goodwill today which is more then id like to spend there. I got 10 NES games at $4 apiece. They are Friday The 13th, Exodus:Journey To The Promised Land, Pro Wrestling, Target:Renegade, Yoshi, TMNT, Ghostbusters 2, Tengen RBI Baseball, Castlevania 3, and Megaman 6. Left behind 2 SMB/Duck Hunts, another TMNT, a different baseball game, Top Gun, and Star Voyager. Digital Express has a total value of $68 for these but im not sure about that. Someone also dropped off drums for GuitarHero 4. Why would you just donate that its fairly new.[/quote]

Maybe things have changed... but can't you donate everything but drums to Gamestop? Also, colleges are leaving out so maybe someone returned home and didn't have room for it/parents didn't want to hear it. I know from living at home right now, I barely have room for mine and I hardly get a chance to play them as they get on my mom's nerves.

[quote name='DrumsVocalsKeys']I'm currently at a GoodWill in New Jersey.

They have games with box (no manual though):
Sonic the Hedgehog
Ecco The Dolphin
Cyborg Justice
Garfield Caught in the Act

They aslo have Bugbsy without the box.

They are selling these for $3.99 each (I don't plan on keeping them for my personal collection).

Should I pick them up before I head home to Maryland tomorrow? Are any of these worth keeping for my collection or selling?

Any advice you can provide would be most appreciated.[/quote]
They're all worthless. Of those I've played Sonic and Ecco, Sonic's a classic (of course) and I couldn't get into Ecco, but if you want them they're so common that you'll find a better deal sometime (a dollar or less is fair).

Have had some good hauls at my Salvation Army Store recently
1st one, Not too much to speak of
-Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis Complete in Box with 2 promoitional posters- $3.99
-Double Dribble NES- $3.99
-Gex 3 N64- $3.99

Today's haul was much better though
-Atari Play and Plug for $3.99
-Shinobi III Genesis $1.99
-Super Monaco GP (Mega Hit Series) $1.99
-Anticipation NES $1.99
-Ken Griffy Jr. Winning Run SNES- $1.99
-10 Yard Fight NES- $1.99

After all said and done it was still under $15 for all of it. Oh how I love half off stickers :D.

Oh and they also had a $9.99 sega dreamcast with no cables, decided to skip on it, since you can get complete bundles with a couple games for $40 on eBay.

That friday the 13th game is probably the weirdest/hardest NES game ever. It's so hard to play. It's really just a collectors piece for jason fans and the like.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I hope you really didn't pay for Friday the 13th and Topgun. I hope those were the freebies they wanted to give to you! :p lol[/QUOTE]

Despite the Angry Video Game Nerd ripping apart "Top Gun" its not a horribly bad game once you get past the first level. The last level especially is damn hard.

[quote name='DrumsVocalsKeys']I'm currently at a GoodWill in New Jersey.

They have games with box (no manual though):
Sonic the Hedgehog
Ecco The Dolphin
Cyborg Justice
Garfield Caught in the Act

They aslo have Bugbsy without the box.

They are selling these for $3.99 each (I don't plan on keeping them for my personal collection).

Should I pick them up before I head home to Maryland tomorrow? Are any of these worth keeping for my collection or selling?

Any advice you can provide would be most appreciated.[/quote]

Cyborg Justice is a FUN, FUN title if you can get into it. I remember a match against my one buddy over 10 years ago on it where we essentially did nothing but rip parts off of each other's cyborgs for more than 30 minutes. I mean, literally the match took THAT LONG.

It's a fun game and very underrated imo.

Ecco is another game that is fairly underrated but tough as hell in some spots.

[quote name='pyoobez']Maybe things have changed... but can't you donate everything but drums to Gamestop? Also, colleges are leaving out so maybe someone returned home and didn't have room for it/parents didn't want to hear it. I know from living at home right now, I barely have room for mine and I hardly get a chance to play them as they get on my mom's nerves.[/quote]

I know how that is. I sit there on CAG GTA nights(Weds nights @ 10pm)and people wonder why I never talk or only laugh when I have a headset. The answer is plain and simple. I don't want to disturb anyone else in the house since I'd probably get pretty boisterous.

Oh and pyoobez, you ever check out the curbs round any colleges down your way as they're letting out for summer? I used to and I scored probably 40-50 Atari 2600 games for FREE the one year from ONE apartment building alone.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Despite the Angry Video Game Nerd ripping apart "Top Gun" its not a horribly bad game once you get past the first level. The last level especially is damn hard.[/quote]

As a kid, I loved that game. I haven't gone back and played it again, but I remember it being quite fun. People seem to blindly follow everything the Angry Video Game Nerd says, though. I can't stand the guy, personally. Never found screaming obscenities at old video games funny.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

Oh and pyoobez, you ever check out the curbs round any colleges down your way as they're letting out for summer? I used to and I scored probably 40-50 Atari 2600 games for FREE the one year from ONE apartment building alone.[/QUOTE]

Kids in college these days play...Atari?

[quote name='Josef']Kids in college these days play...Atari?[/quote]

This is going back a number of years. I'd venture a guess that that was around the late 90's I dumpster dived by the college here. But since then, they've instituted a policy where they have to get a commercial dumpster at year's end because every year there were scavengers(like me) picking through the haphazardly stacked piles of items left curbside for trash day pickup.

I think the main reason they instituted that policy was because not everybody was as considerate as I was when it came to restacking the stuff once I was done sifting for my hidden treasures.

I spotted many a game system and I was just a second too late in many cases, except for the Atari and shitload of games.

Many times you'd find a bagload or three of unopened/new clothing items(including shoes, shirts, pants, etc)thrown in with the cordless phones, game systems and myriad crap they would just shovel out to the curb.

People are SO wasteful and rather than take most of it back and re-donate it to Salvation Army(you see MANY college students on 1/2 price day at the SA stores round here), they'd just toss it in a brown bag and put it out front.

Nowadays, I imagine I'd find Xbox, GC and PS2 systems strewn in with the junk. Talking about this has actually made me want to dive around this year.

I was shocked as hell when I was walking back towards my car and I saw the Atari games sitting on top of a pile of new/unopened clothes in a garbage can off to the side of the one dorm down the hill from the main piles.

What would be even better would be if you could put a CL ad up offering to take their unwanted gaming stuff if they're just gonna trash it at year's end. At least in that way then you don't have to curb crawl/dumpster dive for anything.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']This is going back a number of years. I'd venture a guess that that was around the late 90's I dumpster dived by the college here. But since then, they've instituted a policy where they have to get a commercial dumpster at year's end because every year there were scavengers(like me) picking through the haphazardly stacked piles of items left curbside for trash day pickup.

I think the main reason they instituted that policy was because not everybody was as considerate as I was when it came to restacking the stuff once I was done sifting for my hidden treasures.

I spotted many a game system and I was just a second too late in many cases, except for the Atari and shitload of games.

Many times you'd find a bagload or three of unopened/new clothing items(including shoes, shirts, pants, etc)thrown in with the cordless phones, game systems and myriad crap they would just shovel out to the curb.

People are SO wasteful and rather than take most of it back and re-donate it to Salvation Army(you see MANY college students on 1/2 price day at the SA stores round here), they'd just toss it in a brown bag and put it out front.

Nowadays, I imagine I'd find Xbox, GC and PS2 systems strewn in with the junk. Talking about this has actually made me want to dive around this year.[/quote]

My friends and I use to go dumpster diving for pizza boxes in college. A local store used to put coupons on the cardboard boxes that you would then cut out. If you got 10 of them you would bring in the 10 and get a free pizza (no other purchase was necessary). Tons of people didn't cut them out and it was a VERY popular pizza place. It was very easy to find 10 a night and then you went and ordered your free pizza. It was great.

I like the AVGN. But that's cause i followed him since the beginning.

On a side note, I went into goodwill today and found a subwoofer. I was like, yes FINALLY I can have a 5.1 surround system (the .1 being the subwoofer). They wanted 30 bucks for it. It seems as if they are price gauging all the electronic stuff in the nearby store for some reason.

[quote name='Doomstink']As a kid, I loved that game. I haven't gone back and played it again, but I remember it being quite fun. People seem to blindly follow everything the Angry Video Game Nerd says, though. I can't stand the guy, personally. Never found screaming obscenities at old video games funny.[/QUOTE]

I actually love the Nerd and find most of his reviews funny. Even when he is nitpicking apart a game that might be considered good by some.... his nitpicks are actually pretty valid. Some of the ones on "Top Gun" such as the "blank mindless void" feel to the game, continuing the mission if you fail the refueling part, the different missles that don't have any difference other than amount, and others are very valid.

Don't get me wrong I don't agree with every review he has done. "Nightmare On Elm Street" in particular which while has a few small flaws is a damn fun game. I still enjoy that episode regardless... which actually is one of my top Nerd episodes. Then again I'm a NOES fan which explains why I love it. At the end of the day the Nerd is nothing more than juvenile humor dressed up in game reviews but somehow I still enjoy it all.

.... unlike that one guy who's blatantly ripoff the Nerd. What's his name again... Irate Gamer I think right? What a fucking waste that dumb fuck is. At best the only thing good he has done is the two parter on the NES R.O.B. but even that is stretching things quite a bit. His acting is horrible, his "special effects" are just awful. In fact his last several "reviews" have barely been reviews. His review of "Sonic Unleashed" he played the first level, wandered around the city a bit, complained, then quit playing. His "Aladdin" SNES review he couldn't even get how to play the game correctly as far as taking out enemies.

So why do I even watch? Because its like a train wreck.... you know the outcome yet you want to watch anyways to confirm it.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I like the AVGN. But that's cause i followed him since the beginning.[/quote]

Believe it or not the first AVGN episode I saw was his "Top Gun" review. I got hooked right away. I already own the first two AVGN DVD sets as well. The only bummer on the DVDs is some of the edits that were made due to copyright reasons. The DVD edit for the "Back To The Future" review just doesn't work with the film clips missing.

Anyone find anything decent lately? It's been dry for the last few months at the local SA. I'm gonna drop by one I never went to before tomorrow. It's about an hour away from me so I'm really hoping to find at LEAST something.

Well, my days of going to the local Salvation Army are over, at least for now. My sister got back from her college classes a little while ago and said there were tons of fire companies out and the road was blocked off. Apparently, the local Salvation Army caught fire and the roof collapsed. :(

This is a big bummer to me. I usually stopped in there once or twice a week and have gotten some insane deals and found some great stuff for friends and family. I'm hoping they'll reopen, but I imagine their inventory is gone and they had just moved into this place like two years ago due to an increase in rent at the previous place.

It's thanks to their Genesis collection that I finally got into the Sega, snatching up over 20-30 games for $1-$3, depending on if there was a case. I also got a few NES games, Mario Kart for the 64 for $1.75, a GBA SP sleeve case for .50, a GBA multi-player adaptor for like .75, a great copy of Tony Hawk 4 for the X-Box for $1.50 and a bunch of other random stuff from DVD shelves to $1 17" computer monitors to finding my dad an HP Laserjet 4 with a bunch of ink cartridges as well as a 25 gallon fish tank.

The local Goodwill just can't compete with prices.

I'm also really hoping this fire was an accident and not arson. I only say this because like two or three months ago, a bar that was a block away burnt down like the day after they changed insurance. (They said it wasn't arson.)

Major suckage. They had a Casper PS1 game and a bunch of PS1 sports games which I all passed on. Then looking through the radios I see a sega genesis with an AC adapter. No controllers or RF unit with it. Brought it up to the front and asked the lady how much it was. She literally pulled it out of my hands and says in a bitchy voice "we don't sell stuff that doesn't have a price tag". Then some dude came and took it to the back room. Needless to say I just left.

I won't be going there again. Them bastards keep all the good shit for themselves. It's come to the conclusion that SA workers take anything of value for THEMSELVES and don't put it on the floor.

Why the hell would you drive an hour to go to one thrift store?
I would plan out a route and go to multiple thrift stores, pawn shops, gamestops, etc.

We were headed up that way so i stopped in for a good 20 minutes scanning through, won't be going there again though. I'm gonna lay off thrift stores for a while because all of them are dry around here.

I'm getting excited for yard sale season though, we hit 88 degrees yesterday.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Major suckage. They had a Casper PS1 game and a bunch of PS1 sports games which I all passed on. Then looking through the radios I see a sega genesis with an AC adapter. No controllers or RF unit with it. Brought it up to the front and asked the lady how much it was. She literally pulled it out of my hands and says in a bitchy voice "we don't sell stuff that doesn't have a price tag". Then some dude came and took it to the back room. Needless to say I just left.

I won't be going there again. Them bastards keep all the good shit for themselves. It's come to the conclusion that SA workers take anything of value for THEMSELVES and don't put it on the floor.[/quote]

Most of the thrift stores around here do that. People try to get stuff cheaper that way. I know the Salvation Army did it as well. I once bought something random and found a tag on the floor and took them up and she rang it up as that. Another time I found a ceramic tile coaster with no price. I got that spiel but explained it likely didn't stick as one side was ceramic and the other cork and neither are great for sticky stuff. I told her if she named a price, I'd buy it. She said .35, and I just gave her 50 cents.

I mentioned it to my friend, who said he got an action figure for his son at a thrift store for filling out a dollar donation for charity.

I guess it depends on the person and also how often you frequent the shop. It's a good theory, but it hurts the honest people and chances are, someone forgot to label something or the label fell off.

I'd recommend all CAG's let places know right away something doesn't have a price tag on it and if you get someone like this, at least ask if they can give you a price.

Last week got my self 2 Dreamcast Controllers for $1.99 (A somewhat broken normal one, and a blue one), and DDR Extreme 2 for $1.99. Always nice to find things like those.

I'm on the lookout for an NES Rob with all the pieces and stuff. Even if it's not boxed. Anyone ever find one at an SA or GW?

Got three genesis games at Salvation Army. Only games I've ever even seen there, besides some NHL game on the PS1.

-Monopoly
-Foreman For Real (George Foreman boxing game with hilariously bad digitized graphics)
-Bulls vs. Lakers and the NBA Playoffs

$3 each...the lady said 75 cents and I was like !!!, but then she realized they were games, not tapes, and raised the price accordingly. Stll a decent price though, I haven't been spoiled by great finds like some people. I take what I can get.

Any boxed game I see if its under 5 dollars i'll get it (if i don't already have it). I'm not really in the re-selling business.

I always see this thread and feel a bit of jealousy. I haven't really found any noteworthy game related stuff at Goodwill (although I did once find a black label FF VII minus one disc for 99 cents at another thrift store). However, I have had some luck with jerseys for some reason. I know this isn't the right thread or even forum but darnit I have to share.

I found 12 autographed, game used minor league jerseys (three throwbacks, three breast cancer awareness and so on). Including two from Jake Peavy (very popular MLB player); a breast cancer awareness jersey signed and his road jersey which was signed as well. Having worked for the team in the past (Mobile Bay Bears) I could easily verify the legitimacy of the jerseys and I realized that for less than $25 I "inherited" a very impressive jersey collection.

Sorry to go off topic but I just had to share!

I'm going to one of my favorite thrift shops today to see if they got anything new in. I remember seeing some genesis carts for a buck a piece but none of them were of interest to me. I'll report back.

Luck like I haven’t seen in a while at Goodwill over lunch today….

psx2009.jpg

Right away, I saw a half dozen boxed NES games for $2.99 on the movie shelves which was unusual enough… snagged the two that I needed boxes for, and went to the CD shelves. Saw the Zork Anthology disk, and even if it isn’t worth anything, as a fan of the Hitchhiker’s text adventure, I’ve always wanted to try Zork.

After adding Zork to the 2 NES games in hand, my eye caught a freshly-placed stack of black-spined CD cases with the telltale NTSC logo at the other end of the row. I patiently waited until the guy looking at the classical CDs moved on, and then I started going through the stack of about 20 games, all priced $1.99 each.

Spawn, need it….Croc, have it for the Saturn, not the PSX…passed on a few sports titles….and then BINGO, one after another, Tomba!, Tomba!2, Klonoa, Final Fantasy VII!...plus a bunch of other less exciting titles I did not yet have in my collection.

3 months ago, most of these cases would have been empty already, but fortunately this Goodwill recently started keeping all disc-based media in these big CD binders behind the counters. The cases and manuals were in good shape, and my hunch that the discs would be as well turned out to be true. Best lunchtime score I’ve had in a while…it’s been a heck of a May so far!

Rich

P.S. Not to mention the fact that I learned that Magic Johnson’s Fast Break is filled with “Slammin’ – Jammin’ Basketball ACTION”!!!

So, this pales in comparison to Goodwill Hunter's find, but I was happy to get a complete copy of New York Times crosswords for the DS for $1.99 today. maybe next time. :)

[quote name='Goodwill Hunter']Luck like I haven’t seen in a while at Goodwill over lunch today….

psx2009.jpg

Right away, I saw a half dozen boxed NES games for $2.99 on the movie shelves which was unusual enough… snagged the two that I needed boxes for, and went to the CD shelves. Saw the Zork Anthology disk, and even if it isn’t worth anything, as a fan of the Hitchhiker’s text adventure, I’ve always wanted to try Zork.

After adding Zork to the 2 NES games in hand, my eye caught a freshly-placed stack of black-spined CD cases with the telltale NTSC logo at the other end of the row. I patiently waited until the guy looking at the classical CDs moved on, and then I started going through the stack of about 20 games, all priced $1.99 each.

Spawn, need it….Croc, have it for the Saturn, not the PSX…passed on a few sports titles….and then BINGO, one after another, Tomba!, Tomba!2, Klonoa, Final Fantasy VII!...plus a bunch of other less exciting titles I did not yet have in my collection.

3 months ago, most of these cases would have been empty already, but fortunately this Goodwill recently started keeping all disc-based media in these big CD binders behind the counters. The cases and manuals were in good shape, and my hunch that the discs would be as well turned out to be true. Best lunchtime score I’ve had in a while…it’s been a heck of a May so far!

Rich

P.S. Not to mention the fact that I learned that Magic Johnson’s Fast Break is filled with “Slammin’ – Jammin’ Basketball ACTION”!!![/quote]

The one neighborhood thrift store around here has some PS1 and other games at times, but most of the Salvation Army stores around here suffer from the missing disc problem on disc based games. We only have ONE Goodwill around here and it's about 30-45 miles away, so I've only hit it ONCE since it's been open and it's been open for 3 or so years now.

All I got from there was Bionic Commando for the NES and some sealed Making Of Star Wars VHS for $3 total.

Then again, I really can't complain because I've found other deals in the normal retail stores that were halfway decent compared to my thrift hauls.

You got a hell of a score though, since Tomba was one of the PS1 games I played a demo of, but never got around to getting the full version of(much like Intelligent Qube). I won't pay Ebay asking price for either of them either, so I guess I'll just have to forgo playing both.

man $1.99 and $2.99 are great prices. My Goodwill sells games for $4 apiece now no matter what condition theyre in or what system theyre on unless its 360 or Wii. I kinda think they realized I was turning around and making profit on Ebay when all games where $2.

[quote name='Goodwill Hunter']Spawn, need it….Croc, have it for the Saturn, not the PSX…passed on a few sports titles….and then BINGO, one after another, Tomba!, Tomba!2, Klonoa, Final Fantasy VII!...plus a bunch of other less exciting titles I did not yet have in my collection.[/QUOTE]

You should be trying your luck at the lottery with your string of luck lately ;)

That bottom row of Playstation games is as good as it'll get at Goodwill! Playing all four of those games Tomba 1 & 2 along with Klonoa are some of my personal favorites on the Playstation. Good timing on Finding Klonoa also since it just got re-released on the Wii.

Now I know I'm not the only CAG who bought a complete copy of Magic Johnson's Fast Breat in the wild lol also IIRC Stinger is fairly valuable complete.

@IATCAG I was interested in Tomba but after playing the demo for it I actually decided to go out and buy the game for $30 or $40 shortly after it came out instead of waiting till it was cheaper.

Final fantasy 7 wouldn't last even an hour at the salvation army over here. It'd be scooped up by some old lady or something.

last time i went they did not have any kind of video games out except for a prince of persia for pc out. the only thing i ended up getting was some a/v cables for $.50 though lol

Picked up Parasite Eve (!?!) (black label, minty). Tomb Raider III (black label, minty) and some dreamcast sports game. Total was 8 or 9 bucks.

I would take a picture, but I don't have a digital camera.

I think it's all about who is processing the donations or whatever that day. Sometimes total junk educational PC games are priced $3 or $5 at my local Goodwill, but other days I have bought Star Wars and Warcraft for $1 each. Yesterday I stopped by to check it out waiting for the bank to open on my way to work. In front case, bottom shelf, behind everything, almost totally obscured, is a big wicker basket filled with Genesis games. All priced $1, lots with cases. Mostly worthless sports, but I got Sonic & Knuckles, and a few other good to play ones.

About a month ago I got .hack Sign the full series and Star Ocean for $3 each, mint condition, from the other Goodwill in town. But also at that same store they had a bunch of PS1 sports games priced at $5 and $10, and a console-only Genesis for $40.

oh yeah dude, the employees take all the video games. It doesn't bother me that much, but it just seems so lame to do that.

once in a while you'll find something good that managed to slip through the cracks.

And ditto on the PC games, they have all those preschool education games and SIMS theme park and madden 2001 for PC. Price? $14.99. Hah.

I guess this is the place for this.

Anyways, I was out at Deseret Industries with my mom, helping her find some furniture she needed. While looking around, I found a killer find: A fat PlayStation 2 for $40! No tax to boot!

Since the store did not have any memory cards I had to run by Dimple Records to get a used one, which was $16 with tax. While there, I priced their used fat PS2's: $79.99

So, for $56 I got myself a PlayStation 2!

[quote name='FOnewearl']You should be trying your luck at the lottery with your string of luck lately ;)

That bottom row of Playstation games is as good as it'll get at Goodwill! Playing all four of those games Tomba 1 & 2 along with Klonoa are some of my personal favorites on the Playstation. Good timing on Finding Klonoa also since it just got re-released on the Wii.

Now I know I'm not the only CAG who bought a complete copy of Magic Johnson's Fast Breat in the wild lol also IIRC Stinger is fairly valuable complete.

@IATCAG I was interested in Tomba but after playing the demo for it I actually decided to go out and buy the game for $30 or $40 shortly after it came out instead of waiting till it was cheaper.[/quote]

I actually had completely forgotten to buy Tomba and Intelligent Qube for the PS1 and I had no idea they even made a sequel for Tomba untl I was checking on Ebay the one day and saw it about 4-5 years ago.

I thoroughly enjoyed the demo, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy a quirky game like that based just on the demo.

bread's done
Back