Tales from Good Will / Salvation Army 2008

[quote name='Plinko']Just managed to grab a new official Sony PS3 controller at my local Goodwill for a whopping $5.99.[/quote]

Safe to say there were no more at that GW store, eh? If so, I'd buy one from you for cost+shipping+$5 or so, but only if it's new.:D

I actually had some decent finds today at Goodwill for the first time in years.

I picked up

Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario Kart
Dr. Mario / Tetris
and Mortal Kombat

All for SNES, for 3 dollars each. I passed on copies of Super Soccer and NBA Jam for the same price. I'm going to keep MK and Dr. Mario / Tetris as I do not have either, but Mario Kart and Mario All Stars are both duplicates that I will likely flip on eBay for around 25 each.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Safe to say there were no more at that GW store, eh? If so, I'd buy one from you for cost+shipping+$5 or so, but only if it's new.:D[/quote]

Sorry--last one that I could find. I think I pretty much bought up the few game accessories they had at the store.

I picked up

N64:
Mischief Makers
Mario Kart 64
Mischief Makers Japanese Version (I guess... It's got Marina on the cover and some kanji/hiragana/katakana)

NES:
Bionic Commando
Mega Man 2
Adventure Island

All cart only (NES games have the sleeves) and for $2 a piece. I passed on some other stuff.

Picked up some NES games at GW today:
Super Mario Bros. 2
Metal Gear
Castlevania
Adventure Island
All for $2 a piece. I was really excited about Castlevania and Metal Gear, as those were probably my two most wanted NES games. They also had some awesome N64 games (Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, etc.) that I already owned for the same price. I was deciding on whether or not to get them anyway when some chubby kid made up my mind for me and picked up all the good games.

Today i went to a goodwill and picked up DragonWarrior4 mint and had original box and instructions. I picked it up for $5.
I was wondering how rare and how much i could selling it for?

[quote name='lakersfan949']Today i went to a goodwill and picked up DragonWarrior4 mint and had original box and instructions. I picked it up for $5.
I was wondering how rare and how much i could selling it for?[/quote]

Weird...Goodwill is where I found my CIB Dragon Warrior 4. Look it up on ebay...it is one of the pricier NES games, especially CIB.

This is wierd hearing all these different prices on games from everyone here...there are about 7 Goodwills here, EVERY one of them has the same price: $2.50 for any "media" ......that includes VHS, DVD, and video games for ANY system (yeah an atari 2600 game is the same price as a playstation 3 game to them).

And at EVERY store you don't even have to look for video games anymore because they keep all "media" in a big locked glass case in the front.

Is it just the Goodwills in Kentucky that are doing this!??

While my goodwill did have some ridiculous pricing (beat to s--t GH3 for PS2 $80, used F4:Rise of the Silver Surfer for $25), I did manage to get an Action Replay for DS for $4. It was only missing the USB cable.

And is Turning Point: Fall of Liberty worth it for $9 sealed? I didn't know what it goes for so I skipped it.

Pretty much Jack Sh*t today.

Guides:
- Command & Conquer Tiberium Sun (Prima - LE cover)
- Dungeons & Dragons: Baldur's Gate (Prima)

CD's:
- Final Fantasy the Spirits Within soundtrack (meh - for the completion)

My store was just about BARE. There were a few sports PS1 & Genesis games, which makes me think that some good ones came in over the weekend and were gobbled up.

I did pass on Phantom Brave (PS2 - $5.00) and a sealed 6-button 3rd-party controller for the Sega Saturn ($2.99). Meh.

LOL, My SA always has retarded prices but this takes the cake. First of all they got in some super old PS2 stuff, and marked all of them $13.00. Next I saw small coils of used CAT5 cable, They were asking $10 per 6 feet, next to that the had a brand-new 6 ft Gold plated HDMI cable, they were ony asking $5 on that, RETARDS!!!

Jungle Book (Complete) - $1
Lion King (Sealed) - $1
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Complete) - $1

I actually saw these games at the Salvation Army about 2 weeks ago but decided to pass and wait to get whatever survived till 50% off green tags came up. Gone today was another new copy of Lion King & Jungle Book along with a complete copy of some tank game & Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (which I wouldn't have mind getting complete and probably should have grabbed at $2)

Finally found my first good deal at goodwill today. Near the vcr's and vhs's I found cart only copies of Chakan and Splatterhouse 3 for the Genesis for .88 cents each. Not bad, I've been looking for a copy of Splatterhouse for a while now.

Picked up an N64 controller with a perfect joystick for $3.
Not amazing, but I can easily sell it for 20 here, with the retro games market so insanely high.

I was looking around at a Goodwill yesterday, and while I didn't see anything I wanted, I saw a few Gamecube games in the glass case that had "Donated by Hollywood Video" stickers on the cases - the stickers looked like they came from HV and were placed on the games before donation. First time I've ever seen something like that.

[quote name='Dam That River']I was looking around at a Goodwill yesterday, and while I didn't see anything I wanted, I saw a few Gamecube games in the glass case that had "Donated by Hollywood Video" stickers on the cases - the stickers looked like they came from HV and were placed on the games before donation. First time I've ever seen something like that.[/quote]

Theres a bunch of vhs tapes from HV at my SA, I just thought someone bought them and donated them, I dont think there's indication of any HV donation but its more plausible than someone donating hundreds of vhs tapes I guess.

:gc: Super Smash Brothers Melee - $2.50
:gc: Metroid Prime Echoes - $2.50
:gc: Rogue Squadron III demo (Star Wars Arcade) - $1

All complete. Glad I stopped by.

Passed on a Wii Play set for 20 dollars the other day. Now that I think of it I probably should have grabbed it.

Not today but about a month ago a Goodwill in Columbia MO had an actual Wii system and extra controller for $225. Who would donate that?

Today at goodwill I got:

SNES Alien Vs. Predator
SNES Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Fighting Edition
SNES Mortal Kombat 3
SNES SUper Mario Land 2 Yoshi's Island
SNES Turtles IV Turtles in Time

All cartridge only. $2.98 each

At Salvation Army:

Turbografx 16 China Warrior Complete for $1.28

[quote name='schuerm26']Not today but about a month ago a Goodwill in Columbia MO had an actual Wii system and extra controller for $225. Who would donate that?[/quote]

Some kid's mom who is trying to teach them a lesson? Someone looking for a tax writeoff?

No finds today, found an empty Breath of Fire III case, as well as an empty Grandia II case. Marked $2 each, if only there was a game in it. I really wonder if they were stolen, or if they were just donated in that condition.

[quote name='FOnewearl']Gone today was another new copy of Lion King & Jungle Book along with a complete copy of some tank game & Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (which I wouldn't have mind getting complete and probably should have grabbed at $2)[/quote]

Ah, you should've totally grabbed Deep Duck Trouble. I absolutely loved that game. :)

[quote name='schuerm26']Not today but about a month ago a Goodwill in Columbia MO had an actual Wii system and extra controller for $225. Who would donate that?[/QUOTE]

Target for tax writeoff purposes.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Ah, you should've totally grabbed Deep Duck Trouble. I absolutely loved that game. :)[/QUOTE]

I do have a cart only copy, if I didn't I would have went ahead and grabbed it at $2 and not taken a chance on it being gone later :)

Went back to goodwill today and found Final Fantasy 7 (Black Label:D) and Saga Frontier mixed in with the cd's for $5.38 each. I checked the discs before I left and they're both minty.

At Value Village I found these for $1 each:

Cool Spot CB
Donkey Kong Country Exposed VHS

The DKC exposed VHS tape looks like some kind of promo, because its in one of the boxes that's a full cardboard box, instead of a normal VHS one with an opening at the bottom, and has nintendo's address as a return address and bulk rate postage on it.

Its from November 21 according to the box.

Only info I could find is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=180252230208&Category=139973&_trksid=p3907.m29

Anyone know anything about this?

[quote name='darkslime']At Value Village I found these for $1 each:

Cool Spot CB
Donkey Kong Country Exposed VHS

The DKC exposed VHS tape looks like some kind of promo, because its in one of the boxes that's a full cardboard box, instead of a normal VHS one with an opening at the bottom, and has nintendo's address as a return address and bulk rate postage on it.

Its from November 21 according to the box.

Only info I could find is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=180252230208&Category=139973&_trksid=p3907.m29

Anyone know anything about this?[/quote]

I got one of those in the mail, way back when....hyped the new 3d whatever for donkey kong and, if I remember correctly, it showed a sneak preview of Killer Instinct. I forget if it was for the "Ultra 64" or the Snes, but I remember I was psyched for it. I don't think they're as valuable as that guy is trying to make it out. I see the random n64 promo vids pretty regularly at goodwill and other thrifts.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']I got one of those in the mail, way back when....hyped the new 3d whatever for donkey kong and, if I remember correctly, it showed a sneak preview of Killer Instinct. I forget if it was for the "Ultra 64" or the Snes, but I remember I was psyched for it. I don't think they're as valuable as that guy is trying to make it out. I see the random n64 promo vids pretty regularly at goodwill and other thrifts.[/quote] Thanks.

May try to collect them if I can get them on the cheap.

Picked up a complete copy of Bases Loaded 3 for the NES for $1. Box is beat a little, in fact half of Ryno's face is gone. The manual is a little beat, too. But the cartridge is in GREAT condition, I was kinda expecting the worst on that.

Goodwill I went to today is also having a 50% off sale on Saturday. Checked a few other things and saw a 3DO system with cords and a controller tagged at $20. So come Saturday, I'll see if it's still there and snag it for $10.

[quote name='Regian']Picked up a complete copy of Bases Loaded 3 for the NES for $1. Box is beat a little, in fact half of Ryno's face is gone. The manual is a little beat, too. But the cartridge is in GREAT condition, I was kinda expecting the worst on that.

Goodwill I went to today is also having a 50% off sale on Saturday. Checked a few other things and saw a 3DO system with cords and a controller tagged at $20. So come Saturday, I'll see if it's still there and snag it for $10.[/quote]

Please go get it for $20 right now and Ill pay you extra plus shipping

Well, I got this:

n64.jpg

N64 w/ 2 controllers and memory card (no cords) - $9

I'll have to make an investment down the line for the cords. Anyone know where to get 'em on the cheap?

[quote name='Regian']Well, I got this:

n64.jpg

N64 w/ 2 controllers and memory card (no cords) - $9

I'll have to make an investment down the line for the cords. Anyone know where to get 'em on the cheap?[/quote] If you have a gamecube or SNES you can use the A/V cable from that. For the power cord, try ebay, PnT, or a mom & pop shop.

Or go back to that goodwill and look in the pile of random cords that they usually have. They're probably in ther.e

I picked up a Mint copy of FFVII(the second half of the case looked as if it had never been opened) for $8 at Salvation Army today...right as the towns most annoying reseller walked in the door....VICTORY!!!

[quote name='Sinnbox']I picked up a Mint copy of FFVII(the second half of the case looked as if it had never been opened) for $8 at Salvation Army today...right as the towns most annoying reseller walked in the door....VICTORY!!![/quote]Did he see what you were buying?

That's the best.

Picked up a nearly new Sega Genesis Core System for $15.00 at Goodwill.

In the box with all the paperwork and all the bags and everything, it was probally only used once or twice.

Funny enough I bought it in South Florida but in the box there was a store reciept from when the Genesis was purchased new in New York.

[quote name='Sinnbox']I picked up a Mint copy of FFVII(the second half of the case looked as if it had never been opened) for $8 at Salvation Army today...right as the towns most annoying reseller walked in the door....VICTORY!!![/QUOTE]

:bow::bow::bow::bow:

Great job. Too bad you forgot to throw some glitter at him.... but still one helluva victory! :D

I saw a tiny thrift while walking with my friends and decided to look in it. The place had a display case in the front, which was packed with video games that you couldn't really see. The lady working there said they're closing and I could only look through one systems games because she had to pick up her son, and I chose N64.
The great games were picked over, but I managed to grab these for $20 total. Haggled her down from $3.75 per cart.

P9120178.jpg

P9120179.jpg

The one with the really shitty label is OOT. Looks like the result of someone trying to get a rental sticker off. I can print out a label and sell it for 15. ^_^

King's Field was on the top of the box for some reason with a couple of PS1 racing games so I grabbed that too.

Gonna come back there and look at the rest of the games later this week.

[quote name='mguiddy']Did he see what you were buying?

That's the best.[/quote]

Actualy It's the resellers mom, she buys all the games for him while he sits at home doing God knows what. I think that she had seen it there before the store opened also because she got there and was looking over towards the case it was in. She got back in her car and drove away when she saw me get to the door before she could, She knows i buy games because I have ran into her several times buying games at garage sales.

She pisses off most garage sale runners because she will grab up games marked at $50 walk up to the home owner give them a $20 and walk away before they realize she has more than $20 worth of games. I guess she thinks that is CIF'ing.

My mom came home with Guitar Hero II for PS2, game only, complete in box from Goodwill last summer. She's friends with the lady that works there, so she got it for free... not really a deal but still good for bragging rights nonetheless.

I too found good deals at Goodwill. Here's my list
Wii Play w/Wii Remote 19.99
Guitar Hero for Nintendo DS 15 bucks with everything
American Idol Encore XBOX 360 12 dollars
Nintedogs and Brainage 4.99 complete
Tons of new games from Target marked salvage w/the green salvage tag.
DS Games 4.99
Go to a Goodwill where the clerks are game clueless and they price stuff real cheap. Of course, I act dumb too in order to get better deals. They always have GH for 25 to 30 bucks w/guitar. Of course, the employees help themselves to games as well.

[quote name='Caliburn']If my Goodwill area-locations didn't smell like a underground subway tunnel replete with urine and that stench of homelessness, and have a variety of clothes besides heavily used and soiled clothes and undergarments, I'd be posting something useful in this thread. But, I am not.[/quote]

I live in the burbs my Goodwill never stinks.

[quote name='FOnewearl']Does Target only donate stuff to Goodwill or do they also donate to Salvation Army stores? I have a Target opening up soon nearby me, would be nice if they donated stuff to the Salvation Army a few minutes away :)

Would be a change of pace for this Salvation Army if they had Wii stuff donated from Target like I always read about people finding in this thread. I've never even seen a crappy PS2 sports game at this Salvation Army and a total of 1 GC game & 1 Xbox game lol[/quote]

They buy it from Target real cheap because GW is a non for profit agaency.

:bouncy:[quote name='Sinnbox']IDIOT ALERT!!! someone just bought all of the PS2 games that were marked at $16 at my local Salvation Army...The videogame store down the road had all of the same titles in the bargian bin for $3-$4 apiece!!![/quote]

Man you are too funny.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11:D:applause::applause:

Sadly I don't have a goodwill within the near vicinity of me, however I do have a St. vincents thrift that only opens on a saturday with a 3$ a bag sale. You can take anything in the whole place that will fit in a bag for 3$. They even have games and game stuff. Although I am a little worried that the ladies there are tossing it out, they are older ladies and completely video game ignorant which is a good thing, they are SUPER nice however and they put to shame the crotchety old women at the overpriced SA!!!

Obviously you didn't read my post because they're all different. And besides I can do what I want to it's none of your business Jerk Bag.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bread's done
Back