Tales from Good Will / Salvation Army 2008

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']WOO HOO!!! THE SNES I bought the other day for $7 WORKS!!! I tested it at my one local shop. Now all I need to do is find some wires and some games worth playing on it.[/quote]

FYI, the SNES, N64, and GC use the same AV cable. You should be able to pick a cheap one up at Gamestop or something.

[quote name='evilmrhenry']FYI, the SNES, N64, and GC use the same AV cable. You should be able to pick a cheap one up at Gamestop or something.[/quote]

I checked at one of the local Gamestop stores already to no avail. They had buttloads of the PS2 cables and even some controller extension cables for the XBox, but NO Nintendo cables to be found.

It's always a pain finding the A/V cables for nintendo systems.
I get a ton of cheap SNES and N64, and occasionally a GC at yard sales and the likes, but they always seem to either have no cable or have an RF cord. ffffffffff

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Empirical evidence has shown that it's mostly sunlight that discolors the type of plastic that they used in electronics in the 90's. So if your SNES has been sitting in the back of your closet for 15 years, it's probably not going to be that discolored.[/quote]
Sunlight was what triggered it, but it was due to a fire retardant chemical mixed into the plastic. For whatever reason, they were very inconsistent with how much was added. If they put in a lot, the system would be very prone to yellowing, if they put in a little, it would stay nice and grey. So there are SNESes out there that are immune to sunlight, and some that aren't.

[quote name='darkslime']It's always a pain finding the A/V cables for nintendo systems.
I get a ton of cheap SNES and N64, and occasionally a GC at yard sales and the likes, but they always seem to either have no cable or have an RF cord. ffffffffff[/quote]

I'm going to stop at the one local shop in a bit and see if they can call to the other shop they own and see if they have any extras, since I don't want to make a trip down to the other one for nothing.

But supposedly they have tons of spares, but never bring them up for the shop by me. If they did, then I would probably end up trying to buy one here and not have to go driving 20 miles to get one.

The local Salvation Army had two NES systems the other day, but they looked like they'd been pulled from the far reaches of console hell. Both were considerably yellowed (to be honest, as long as it plays I don't really care what it looks like) and caked with a funky gunk in every nook and cranny. $12 for the less yellow, $8 for the banana colored one - no cables.

I want an SNES.

I just want to restore faith to this thread picked these up for 7 bucks each. I don't know how much they are worth but there basically mint and all of them are complete.

my.php

[quote name='omg itz adam']I just want to restore faith to this thread picked these up for 7 bucks each. I don't know how much they are worth but there basically mint and all of them are complete.

my.php
[/quote]

How the fuck does that happen!? (thats the first shaq-fu I've ever done)

Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of the most rare and expensive games of all time! I thought by now that everyone who owned the game knew what it was. Looks like someone's mom dropped his games off at Goodwill when he moved out/left for college.

Anyways, I'm seriously jealous. I finally gave up on finding one in the wild and bought PDS on eBay for $180.00 last summer. It's one of the shortest RPGs I've ever played (clocked in around 15 hours with 60% completion). Most expensive hours played - money spent ratio I'll ever have for a game purchase.

Resident Evil is also nothing to scoff at, but PDS is something you will NEVER see in the wild again. You're one lucky guy.

[quote name='omg itz adam']I just want to restore faith to this thread picked these up for 7 bucks each. I don't know how much they are worth but there basically mint and all of them are complete.

my.php
[/quote]

Man, oh man. I hate you.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']You, sir, have earned the simultaneous envy and enmity of everyone who views this thread. [/quote]

That's incredible and makes me extremely green with envy. Seeing that makes part of me want to just lie and and pull out my earthbound or whatever and take pictures of it saying I got it @ a yard sale for 25 cents just to make everyone go nuts

I guess I'm the only person in this thread who would probably have passed up PDS if they saw it at a thrift store, since I had no idea what it was worth. But now that I know, I'll be on the lookout should I find one in my travels.

[quote name='omg itz adam']I sold it already for 140.00[/quote]

Only $140? You could have gotten a lot more than that. Wish I could have found one for $140 back in June when I bought mine.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Found this one today:

HeroQuest (board game) for $7.00 (complete!). Kinda like D&D lite. I remember playing it with some friends of mine when we were about 10-11 and they had mentioned that "they stopped making it." Instantly my CAG senses went off and I picked it up! Somewhat rare, it looks like it gets around $50 on ebay. :) Still don't know if I'm going to keep it or not.[/quote]

HeroQuest is amazing, beats the pants off D&D (never was a fan) because the pieces are awesome and it was so easy to make your own maps with all the pieces they included in the box. Really great game, they don't make anything like it any more. I still got my old box and set and will never part with it, I'd keep it if I were you. Great game to play with friends without much of that stigma of playing that many of these type games will give you.

I'm still shocked over the guy who got Panzer Dragoon Saga for that cheap. 140 isn't a horrible payoff for it, but like others have said, you could have gotten more. What a thing to find in the wild though.

I still never have luck at Good Will stores on the gaming front. It's so dry I don't even make it an issue to look, I mostly check their videos and clothes only now. Anybody want Madden 95 for 5 dollars?!

It was funny when I picked it up I was like Panzer Dragoon Saga I heard this game was rare and just got the rest of the games there those haven't sold.

I hit up the American Rescue Workers store today. I snagged an NES Advantage controller for $1. It needs cleaned up and then will eventually be sold as I already have two in pristine shape.

I passed on NBA Live 01 for the PS. It was in a display case and even if it was $1, it wasn't worth the bother to me.

my SA is creepy....every time I go to the electronics section, (downstairs), theres always this TALL old guy with grey hair sitting on a little kids chair reading a book, and this skinny old lady with grey hair behind the desk. Everytime I look through they stare at me. It just feels weird being down there. Always the same 2 people. Funny, behind the desk theres all these radios and other stuff that sits there. (i bet theres game stuff in that pile somewhere)

And they keep the heat on full blast....

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']my SA is creepy....every time I go to the electronics section, (downstairs), theres always this TALL old guy with grey hair sitting on a little kids chair reading a book, and this skinny old lady with grey hair behind the desk. Everytime I look through they stare at me. It just feels weird being down there. Always the same 2 people. Funny, behind the desk theres all these radios and other stuff that sits there. (i bet theres game stuff in that pile somewhere)

And they keep the heat on full blast....[/quote]

Yeah, the SA in my town is luckily nice when it comes to the employees. I've been around to a few others that apparently fit more along the lines of the standard SA's which seems to be about your description.

The only ones that bother me a little are these two old folks that wait out front before they open practically everyday. Then again, they don't go after anything I'm really interested in, minus the occassional book/dvd shelf.

[quote name='Doomstink']How the fuck does that happen!? (thats the first shaq-fu I've ever done)

Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of the most rare and expensive games of all time! I thought by now that everyone who owned the game knew what it was. Looks like someone's mom dropped his games off at Goodwill when he moved out/left for college.

Anyways, I'm seriously jealous. I finally gave up on finding one in the wild and bought PDS on eBay for $180.00 last summer. It's one of the shortest RPGs I've ever played (clocked in around 15 hours with 60% completion). Most expensive hours played - money spent ratio I'll ever have for a game purchase.

Resident Evil is also nothing to scoff at, but PDS is something you will NEVER see in the wild again. You're one lucky guy.[/quote]

I just find it funny that its complete and near mint looking, AT A GOODWILL OF ALL PLACES!!!!

Shoot, i paid 40 bucks less to find a copy sitting at a Play n Trade in Colombia SC for 2 months for 140 (thats with the .10 precent discount the owner set me up with) was somewhat of a good deal there. Yea, thats about how much i would pay on ebay, but its something to see that game SIT THERE for 2 months before i saw it.

Then again, who knows what kinda of goodwill stores in my area has rare gems, since the rednecks here trade video games for beer and shotguns...:bouncy::D

That PDS find is down right amazing. I got mine for $120 a few years back, have still yet to play it, the disks are scratch free, was told by the seller that only disc 1 was played. Best thrift stores finds Ive ever had was when I lived in Tally a few years back ('06). They have tons of Goodwills and had found a bunch of complete Saturn, SNES, and PSOne games. The thrifts here in Orlando are dry, have bought a few games, but nothing spectacular.

I just snagged True Lies for the Genesis in the case, but no manual for $2.75.

They also had the Joe Montana Sports Talk football and NBA Jam (also in the cases). I got NBA Jam: TE and they were $2.75 each as well, so I passed on. They still have three other sports games as well, but my sports collection is pretty big already for a guy who hardly plays those.

Got StarCraft: BattleChest with everything included ( No scratches on disks, none of the strategy guides ripped or anything on them ) only about $1.50? ( Or less don't remember the price :p )

[quote name='pyoobez']I just snagged True Lies for the Genesis in the case, but no manual for $2.75.[/quote]

I LOVED that game. Nice scroll shooter.

Recently picked up some lame sports games for the hell of it:
Genesis - NBA Jam complete with case/manual/cart
SMS - Joe Montana Football complete with case/manual/cart
3DO - John Madden Football - disc only

All for ~$1.50 or so.

I got Cliffhanger for the Sega CD for $0.99. It's complete in the case and everything. I couldn't pass it up at that kind of price even if it's an awful game.

First score I got from a Goodwill came when I decided to go with a bunch of friends when they were looking for costumes. I thought it was a waste of time, but I decided to go through their VHSs, Music CDs, etc. And when I looked through the music CDs, I found an open, but very mint, copy of Jade Cocoon for the PSX, for $3. Not the best RPG ever, but still, amazing find considering the best I'd assume I'd find was some old VHSs.

i'm gonna go do another quick browse next week when i have time, (doubt i'll find something though)

do all the stores get new stuff in at the same time or is it YMMV?

[quote name='seen']Its a YMMV as donations vary by locations.[/quote]
Also depends on how large the store is, how often it gets trucks in, ect.

Like my favorite location to goto is the largest Good Will I know of in the county, since they get new stock in often, and almost always get in more gaming stuff. Others though never ever ever seem to get new stuff in, with every time I go in I just see the same junk.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']i'm gonna go do another quick browse next week when i have time, (doubt i'll find something though)

do all the stores get new stuff in at the same time or is it YMMV?[/quote]

You can't be serious that you are oblivious as to how Goodwill works.

:dunce:

i always thought they got new stuff in all at the same time but now i hear they are using that online auction site and not selling out of the store

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']i always thought they got new stuff in all at the same time but now i hear they are using that online auction site and not selling out of the store[/quote]

This is still YMMV. I've still seen new video game stuff at Goodwills (like DS/Wii games and the occassional 360) in the display cases and tons of other video game related stuff on the floor.

As for donations, my Salvation Army gets stuff whenever they get it as they accept donations during business hours for most of the week and just price stuff/bring stuff out when there's room and when they get a chance. I try to get there twice a week due to this.

Oh, I got there Friday as I had to make a few stops around town. All I ended up finding was a sweet old school, all metal pirate chest with a coin slot on the top for 75 cents. I was looking for something better to store my pennies in than my Pac-Man glass.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']i always thought they got new stuff in all at the same time but now i hear they are using that online auction site and not selling out of the store[/quote]

Every Goodwill works on donations, but I think some of them opt to send "high value" items to the central processing location so they can be listed on their site. I don't think individual stores do the online listing, I'm almost 100% certain that only the big central processing stores do.

Here's a tale of ups and downs (mostly downs).

In one of my leisurely routine visits to the various thrift and goodwill stores I caught something out of the corner of my eye:

P8080074.jpg

I didn't know what I was looking at, I just saw Mario smiling at me from that Super Famicom cartridge and was instantly intrigued. A $1.91 was worth the risk, SURELY!

So I get home, pop it in, and discover that it's the Japanese version of Super Mario All-Stars! Researching more about it, I find that the proper title for it is "Super Mario Collection". This already seems like a great find, but certain truths start to reveal themselves.

I play a few games on SMB2J/Lost Levels, quite content with my purchase. I hop into SMB3 and make some progress, but decide to turn it off for the day with plans to pick up my saved progress later. "What a swell trip to the thrift store!" I'm practically patting myself on the back at this point.

And so as day 2 of Mario fun begins, the first vile twist rears its ugly head.

"Hm, no saves. Damn, I guess the battery is dead."

Happens to all kinds of games, nothing too surprising, just a sad realization. I start thinking about how I could finally try replacing a battery on my own. But that moment of doubt gives me a sinking feeling of suspicion.

Then I took a closer look at the back of the game:

P8080068.jpg

Wow, that's crazy! Warnings in English. Heh, how bizarre. I thought this was made in Japan...

Well, I'm sure I just never noticed it before. Hell, I should compare it to my other Super Famicom games! What's the harm?!

P8080072.jpg

HOOBOY! That's SUBSTANTIALLY different. I'm starting to get a good idea of EXACTLY what I'm dealing with, but I continue to over analyze!

P8080069.jpg

An extra ridge on the side?! Lighter, cheaper feeling plastic?! A label that's just now starting to strike me as kinda dull compared to its shiny bretheren?!

SAY IT AIN'T SO, MARIO!

mariopirate.gif

Yes, it seems like I took the plunge on a dirty, scum-suckin' bootleg with a big ol' Blackbeard seal of approval. A PIRATE CART!

And a lousy one at that. Where's my 500-in-1 dinosaur coloring games?! This is just a blatant copy of a Mario game without proper save functionality!

I've even found a picture of the back of someone else's cartridge for the same game, and lo and behold it's far more official:

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b83139733

So let this be a word of caution ta all ya bushy eyed landthrifters out there: keep yer eyes peeled as if the Kraken himself is after ye, or else you might find a BLACK SPOT in yer treasure haul!

:-({|=

But apart from my inability to spot bootlegs, I've had lots of fun browsing and buying at my "trifecta" of Salvation Army/Goodwill/Thrift Stores that I check almost daily. The only big time success story I have is finding Daggerfall complete in box for $4 and then selling it for $80ish eBay. I wasn't even aware of its value until later, I was just fond of the box (and Oblivion)!

Here's to good times ahead! :beer:

[quote name='neiname']Great story, thought you found gold didn't ya. I haven't found a decent score in my thrift stores in a long time.[/QUOTE]Haha, yeah, and not even to flip. I was just thrilled to have a copy of this game to play.

I mean, it's still fun even with the lack of saves and its questionable origins, but I'll still be keeping my eye out for All-Stars (plus it'd be in English and the US label is way cooler).

bread's done
Back