Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

I miss my pawn shops up here in seattle. they all figured out and use amazon.com marketplace to price their goods. the best deal Ive had in the last two years was tiger woods 10 on wii for 15 bucks last week. It's not bad, but it's not as good as some people post; and certainly not as great as things i've had in my past (suikoden II for free for being a returning pawn shop customer on my b day)

Not a bad day at the pawn shop on Thursday...

Sega Game Gear system: $9.99
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) complete: $6.99
Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES): $1.99
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES): $1.99
Galaga (NES): $1.99
Super R-Type (SNES): $2.99
Raiden Trad (SNES): $2.99
Super Mario World (SNES): $2.99
XBOX 360 Wired Controller: $4.99
XBOX 360 Wireless Controller: $10.00
Nintendo DS Lite system (cobalt blue): $50.00

Both the controllers will be traded in toward a 360 Slim at GameStop. And I almost used trade credit there for a new DS Lite system as the wife bogarted my last one. Both Super Mario 2 and Super The best deal, though is something I'll be using for my computer and MP3 players:

Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II speakers w/subwoofer: $25.00

If they don't have a receiver, my local pawn shop prices all 2.1 speaker sets as generic "Computer Speakers" and throws them on the floor at $29.99. I ran into a display for the Soundsticks II a while ago, so I knew what they were and jumped at the change to grab a set at that price. A couple of their employees are very cool, and will freely negotiate price on pretty near everything, so getting five bucks off was icing on the cake.

[quote name='jman619']I got Battlefield Bad Company 2 on PS3 for 16 bucks. :cool:[/QUOTE]
Gahh I hate my Pawn Shop :(

They check eBay and Gamestop.com for their prices.

Even still their prices are a bunch of bulls**t.

Fallout 3 PS3 (regular ed.) for $27.99

Assassin's Creed for $25

CoD4 for $40

And all sorts of these injustices. And it's quite obvious they know which games fetch quite a couple of bucks too, they had SMT Nocturne for $35.

Ahh I wish I had one that was like those mom n pop stores where they can just sell it to a nice fellah for a couple of bucks.

Today I found :ps3:Uncharted 2: Among Thieves at my favorite pawn shop for $14.99. They also had :ps3:Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for $20, but I passed.

Ran by the pawn shop yesterday and picked up the Die Hard Collection (all 4 movies) on BluRay for $7. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be $70, based on the pricing of their other Blu's, but I snatched it up before they could realize the possible error.

I also picked up the Xbox Arcade Game Pack disc that has Lumines Live, Bomberman Live and Geometry Wars 2 for $5. And boy was a surprised to find an untampered card for Ms Pacman as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finaly got some sweet deals at my local pawn that usualy has crap lately.

PS3 + FFXIII & LBP for $230
some Blu-Rays for $5 apiece,
Some good GB games for $2 apiece.
random DVD's $2-$3 apiece

The owner is in jail and his gf will not take in anything older than PS2 now but said some creepy guy came in and sold her the GB games so she bought them to get him on his way....I was happy, I got so many good classic plastic games there before the owner left for prison.

man nice finds going on in here...prices at my pawnshops are rediculas older generation games like ps2/gamecube are $20 and this genration didnt see one for cheaper than $30 most of the good games are $50+ thought it was a pawnshop didnt realize i was walking into overpriced ebay prices.

Thought i scored a jackpot when i saw the hundreds and hundreds of games they got but i left empty handed just like everyone else who looked at them probably does they do haggle a bit but not enough for you to leave without overpaying.

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']Gahh I hate my Pawn Shop :(

They check eBay and Gamestop.com for their prices.

Even still their prices are a bunch of bulls**t.

Fallout 3 PS3 (regular ed.) for $27.99

Assassin's Creed for $25

CoD4 for $40

And all sorts of these injustices. And it's quite obvious they know which games fetch quite a couple of bucks too, they had SMT Nocturne for $35.

Ahh I wish I had one that was like those mom n pop stores where they can just sell it to a nice fellah for a couple of bucks.[/QUOTE]

Mine tried that for a while and nothing sold at all. I think they went completely back to there old way. Most I see a ps3/360 game is 24.99. Most is 19.99. I guess it helps that I am friends with a guy that works at mine. He always knocks off 5-6 bucks or more for me. He has gave me some really good deals.

Got A DS3 a while back for 18 bucks. Got Battlefield Bad Company 2 for 16 bucks. A long time ago. I got Uncharted/Resident Evil 5/Call Of Duty World At War for 50 altogether. This was way before MW2 came out and World At War was selling for a lot on ebay.

LOL. I went into my local pawn today and they had taken all the prices off of games, they said that they just look up the price for people on ebay now, I asked them what they wanted for COD: WOW(PS3) - they looked it up and said $25. I LOL'd

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL Isn't that chart a bit backwards on there? Shouldn't the NEW copies be worth $68 and the used copies only be worth $32?

Either way I think a few of my local Kmarts have the Sith edition for $20. But that's still $15 too much for me to pay for it.[/QUOTE]If they actually do and are for PS3, I'll send you the money and a finder's fee if you buy all of them for me.

[quote name='darkslime']If they actually do and are for PS3, I'll send you the money and a finder's fee if you buy all of them for me.[/QUOTE]
I had people offering me cost+shipping before, but I just haven't had the urge to waste gas to hit up those stores again, especially if the games magically disappeared.

Now if I were heading that way anyway I'd be happy to pick them up, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Another good time at the local pawn shops today...

Demon's Souls (PS3): $20.00
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii): $15.00
Shattered Union (XBOX): $3.00
Bioshock/Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion (XBOX 360): $10.00
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (DS): $15.00
Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons (GBC): $5.00
Aliens Vs. Predator (GB): $5.00
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB): $5.00
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (GBC): $5.00
Fist of the North Star (GB): $2.00
Donkey Kong Classics (NES): $1.00
Millipede (NES): $1.00
Spy Vs. Spy (NES): $1.00
XBOX 360 Halo 3 Spartan wireless controller: $10.00
GameShark 2 Version 2 (PS1/PS2 2-discs): $3.00
Spider-Man Blu Ray: $10.00
Spider-Man 2/2.1 Blu Ray: $10.00
Wanted Blu Ray (Import LE Steelbook): $10.00

The GameShark 2 V2 was the real score and the pawn shop knocked $20.00 off the total prices listed above; basically giving me something (or many things) free. I likely left some things behind that I should have grabbed, but my arms got full really fast.

Wow, um.. You got rocked on those prices. Both Spiderman blurays sell at FYE for $8 before backstage pass/coupon. Not really a "cheap ass deal" on quite a few of those.. But interesting finds all the same.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Wow, um.. You got rocked on those prices. Both Spiderman blurays sell at FYE for $8 before backstage pass/coupon. Not really a "cheap ass deal" on quite a few of those.. But interesting finds all the same.[/QUOTE]

With the $20 discount I got, I figure I either got Demon's Souls or both Spider-Man BD films free. Either of the first two Spider-Man Blu-Ray films are not at all easy to find separately and the trilogy set at FYE used will run @$40 with tax. If you're consistently finding Spider-Man 1 and 2 for less than $8 bucks a pop, I'd suggest you snag 'em up and flip them because $10 each is about half (or less) of what they're actually worth.

Now, if you feel that KH 358/2 or the Bioshock/Oblivion combo weren't true "steals", I'd agree with you. But "rocked" is a bit strong IMHO.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Wow, um.. You got rocked on those prices. Both Spiderman blurays sell at FYE for $8 before backstage pass/coupon. Not really a "cheap ass deal" on quite a few of those.. But interesting finds all the same.[/QUOTE]

From what i could tell Spiderman 1 and 2 only came as part of a trilogy pack. individually when on ebay it looks like they bid up to about $17-$20 apiece. It seems to me that he got a good deal on them. I probably wouldn't spend that much on them unless i didn't have them on DVD, but $10 for a good bluray is still a great deal.

I heart my main local pawn shop...today's finds...

Splinter Cell: Double Agent (XBOX 360): $3.00
8GB USB Drive: $10.00
2GB Memory Stick PRO Duo: $1.00
16GB Gamecube Memory Card: $1.00
The following Super NES games for $2.99 each (cart only):

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Paperboy 2
Super Mario World
Super Mario All Stars (x2)
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Tetris Attack
Mechwarrior
Ms. Pac-Man
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
Spider-Man/X-Men Arcade's Revenge

Yes, I know some folks wouldn't have paid three whole dollars for the last two games, but I'm a huge X-Men fan, so leave it alone!

And the find of the day...

NES System Console: Top Loader w/2x original dog bone controllers & cables: $34.99

I just asked about it at random and, sure enough, they had one in the back ready to go up on amazon.com. Go figure. Beautiful unit. Very clean. I've never seen one of these in the wild before, so I had no idea how small the thing is.

Keep searching those pawn shops, CAG. Things are bound to turn up. Never know what they might have in the back room...

These pawn shop deals are crazy good for the probably stolen used games. It pains me seeing people getting some great prices on these games but there is no way in hell I'm getting stabbed at these skeevy pawn shops near me. Maybe if they had a camera crew on site like pawn stars.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']saw super mario rpg snes for $2. I don't have a snes though, so I passed[/QUOTE]

Why? You could have easily sold it to another CAG for 10x that.

[quote name='Thorgouge']These pawn shop deals are crazy good for the probably stolen used games. It pains me seeing people getting some great prices on these games but there is no way in hell I'm getting stabbed at these skeevy pawn shops near me. Maybe if they had a camera crew on site like pawn stars.[/QUOTE]
I know half the shit I bought from pawns over the years had to be stolen. For instance, the pawn closest to me where I got most of my PS1 collection just one day happened to have an entire collection of perfect condition PS1 Shmups & Fighters. Titles like X-Com, SF Collections 1 & 2, Thunder Force V, Castlevania Chronicles, etc. I felt bad for whoever they were stolen from, but it dosnt take much effort to go to the pawns & ask if a collection of PS1 games was brought in.

[quote name='Segasonic01']I know half the shit I bought from pawns over the years had to be stolen. For instance, the pawn closest to me where I got most of my PS1 collection just one day happened to have an entire collection of perfect condition PS1 Shmups & Fighters. Titles like X-Com, SF Collections 1 & 2, Thunder Force V, Castlevania Chronicles, etc. I felt bad for whoever they were stolen from, but it dosnt take much effort to go to the pawns & ask if a collection of PS1 games was brought in.[/QUOTE]

You can't just assume everything at a pawn shop was stolen. Especially retro stuff. Since Gamestop doesn't take it anymore, most people think it is worthless and trade it into pawn shops for next to nothing (since they don't know any other stores that will take it). Hell, I've seen a lot of hardcore gamers drop off some pretty nice collections at PnT and take next to nothing for it. Most of them have told me that they're trading their stuff in because they had a kid or needed to make room for the wife, etc.

Now if you walked into a pawn shop and saw a shit ton of current-gen in-demand games, there's a better chance those are stolen since regular people would probably just take those to GS. In the case of stuff GS doesn't take, pretty much everything at a pawn shop is probably a legitimate trade in. I really doubt a thief would break into someone's house and steal a bunch of retro games. 90% of the populace believes older games to be worthless, I don't think a thief would be any different.

[quote name='Thorgouge']These pawn shop deals are crazy good for the probably stolen used games. It pains me seeing people getting some great prices on these games but there is no way in hell I'm getting stabbed at these skeevy pawn shops near me. Maybe if they had a camera crew on site like pawn stars.[/QUOTE]

Depends on where in south fl you goto. The ones in downtown I wouldn't go near.

How come my two local pawn shops price all 360 games at $20? nobody's gonna buy that Dark Sector or NBA 2K6 for $20.... or are you supposed to offer them lower prices? (i've never really been in pawn shops before this, but I found nearly everything to be overpriced around me

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']How come my two local pawn shops price all 360 games at $20? nobody's gonna buy that Dark Sector or NBA 2K6 for $20.... or are you supposed to offer them lower prices? (i've never really been in pawn shops before this, but I found nearly everything to be overpriced around me[/QUOTE]

You can shoot them offers, especially if youre buying multiple games. Kinda like a flea market, but in my experience pawn shops are very firm and unbreakable.

Some pawn shops get their game prices off of amazon, and some just throw random prices on stuff. Most pawn shops now a days will use amazon as a reference, at least around me.

it looks like the one you went to was just trying to make a profit off of people who dont know any better. Moms, dads etc that come in looking for cheap games for their kids and think its a steal, etc.

Haven't hit up a pawn shop in forever, but today I had a feeling about my favorite local one -

Crash Team Racing (Complete, mint) - $3.99
Xbox 360 Fightpad (Chun Li Edition) - $15

I don't usually buy used controllers but this one seems to be in decent shape and wasn't that dirty compared to others I've seen. Plus the fact every store still wants $40 for these damn things, $15 is a steal.

Picked up:

Stubbs the Zombie (XBox)
Baldurs Gate II (XBox)
Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)

$5 apiece. MPT was accidentally in the PS2 and XBox section. Employee helping me recognized it was a Wii game ($15), but said it would be our secret. Now I don't have to worry about unwrapping one of my two sealed copies.

Well, most of the pawns around me (including the main chain store) are ceasing to carry anything older than current-gen. Lame. And they're charging too much for the current-gen games they have now. They've even started resorting to craigslist to sell them.

Mine are pretty reasonable on current gen. Most are a uniform $12-15 for current gen, $5-7 for PS2/XBox/Gamecube, $5-8 for GBA, $8-10 for DS. Sometimes will cut a better deal if I am buying 3 or more games.

Was able to get Alan Wake, with DLC insert, earlier this week for $15. Good deal, but not really blown away by the game.

Went by a pawn shop today, not expecting to find much but they had 6 original Xbox consoles and I picked all of them up for $30. Each one was marked $10-$20 a piece and I just old him I'd give him $30 for all 6. One of them is even a Halo edition console. He took that offer without a second thought. I expected none of them to work with how quick he said that but for $30 it was worth the risk. They all turn on and go to the dash, but 2 of them don't read discs and one other one the 3rd and 4th player controller slots don't work. Still worth it to me. All of them are now running XBMC.

[quote name='Segasonic01']Well, most of the pawns around me (including the main chain store) are ceasing to carry anything older than current-gen. Lame. And they're charging too much for the current-gen games they have now. They've even started resorting to craigslist to sell them.[/QUOTE]

What part of Tampa is this? I don't hit up the pawns often, but if I know which ones to not waste my time with (I don't go for current gen stuff since K-Mart has it cheap enough at release for me) it'll help me not to waste my time.

Pawn shop down the street from me sales ALL xbox 360 games for 10-15$... they come and go fast... I haven't been able to find anything very new, but I hope I will one day lol...

There's a pawn shop I hit up every now and then in my area that prices every ps2/xbox/GC game a flat $3.

I picked up super mario sunshine (complete, had a number written inside the case though:( ) and a codebreaker for ps1 which I offered $1 for and got.

Gonna go back tomorrow as I havent been there in a week or so

Found a pawn shop in Evanston, WY that is going out of business. For $30, picked up Fallout, Bioshock 2, and Overlord II all on PS3. Also found about 7 WWE box sets @ $2 each that are on their way to be traded in. Woot!

you guys are finding some good stuff. best i find at local pawn shops are just star wars KOTOR and battlefront xbox games that i flip on ebay. even those i only make like 7-10 bucks profit. i finally went to a pawn shop out of town and found a gold mine of stuff there. only problem was that it was priced like it was gold. some of the stuff he had was:

SNES:
FF 3 - $28
super metroid - $25
mario kart - $24
and much more stuff i cant remember

xbox 360:
a sealed collectors edition of two worlds - $60!!!!! WTF!
a used complete 360 blazblue collectors edition - $45
halo 3 - $40
halo odst - $45

xbox:
KOTOR - $20
KOTOR 2 - $25
battlefront - $15
battlefront 2 - $23
jurrassic park - $28
MVC 2 - $50!!

Gameboy:

pokemon any color - $17 each. he had yellow,blue, red, crystal and multiples of each
final fantasy - $14
metroid 2 - $14

GBA:

Lufia complete - $60!!!
breath of fire complete - $45
pokemon any color - $22 each. fire, leaf, blue
any mario game - $20 each. kart, world, advance 2 and 4, hoops.

i was like WTF are up with these prices?! i asked the guys working there if they would willing to make a deal on the old xbox games and he said "sorry, prices are set. alot of these games you cant find anymore and you'll pay twice as much for some of those on ebay."
i felt like PIMP slapping all of them and telling them "this is from the CAG community and me for overpricing video games at a pawn shop of all places!"
his only good deal that he had was FF 7 disc 1 and 2 for $4 each. i passed cause they had some prety bad scratches on them. last time i ever go into that pawn shop.

Should have told them that if they want Ebay prices, they should just throw that shit up on Ebay. None of that stuff is overpriced, judging from the few things I threw into Ebay that's about the average.

That stuff will rot there from now until the end of time, though, because nobody goes into a pawn shop wanting to pay Ebay prices. Chances are the pawn shop probably gave someone $1 each for those games, telling them they were "old" and they would "have trouble selling them, we're gonna do you a favor". It's just greed, imo.

I really miss the days when a ton of stores carried older stuff, and all of it was priced decently.

bread's done
Back