Tales From the Thrift!

My sister was able to snag a Wii-mote for $10 too at a Goodwill in Orlando. The thrift stores here in southern AL are horrible, but I find pawn shops to be a great place to look. (especially around military bases!) They can be over-priced, but they are usually semi-reasonable and you can sometimes talk them down.

I just remembered: I did snag some good Atari 2600 games at my local Christian Service Center a few months back. Pitfall 2 and Picnic among others. $2 for the whole box which included 30 Combat carts. (yes, THIRTY) If anyone need the Combat carts (crazy collector or for a unique piece of wall-art) let me know.

There's a Goodwill nearby that use to be a goldmine for games. NES, Genesis, SNES systems for 5-8 bucks, most carts were 2-5 bucks. I once even found a complete Phantasy Star for $4.99. However, lately they've been lame. Earlier this week they had a NES (regular, not top loader), rf switch, ac adapter, one controller, zapper, and marioo 1, 2, and 3 (carts only) for $99.99! A few weeks back they had a few 3DO games. $20 for Quarantine!? FIFTY BUCKS for Night Trap!!?!?! Sure it's one of the rarer 3DO games, but I can still get it cheaper from Ebay of all places. Every now and then they'll get a decent SNES game in, but the prices on those have doubled in the past months. Time to find a new store I think.

[quote name='JJJJJS']There's a Goodwill nearby that use to be a goldmine for games. NES, Genesis, SNES systems for 5-8 bucks, most carts were 2-5 bucks. I once even found a complete Phantasy Star for $4.99. However, lately they've been lame. Earlier this week they had a NES (regular, not top loader), rf switch, ac adapter, one controller, zapper, and marioo 1, 2, and 3 (carts only) for $99.99! A few weeks back they had a few 3DO games. $20 for Quarantine!? FIFTY BUCKS for Night Trap!!?!?! Sure it's one of the rarer 3DO games, but I can still get it cheaper from Ebay of all places. Every now and then they'll get a decent SNES game in, but the prices on those have doubled in the past months. Time to find a new store I think.[/quote]

LOL Our one local Salvation Army thinks that a thrifty price for a possibly non working SNES is $29.99. Thing is, I can grab one complete, tested and GUARANTEED for $15 from a local shop and have less chance of being told it was 'sold as is'.

$3 for Genny games, which isn't too bad, but some carts are $5-6 each incomplete, etc.

It makes you wonder who is behind this kind of pricing, since it seems sort of insane.

I dare you to find a game here:

securedownload-3.jpg

This shelf yielded an $11.00 Tekken for PS1 in the long box. I passed.

securedownload-2.jpg

Outdated much?

securedownload-1.jpg

[quote name='majinvegeta-88']Seen a silent hill case at the salvation army today w/ a 1.99 price tag on it so I got really excited. Then opened it up only to find knockout kings inside :([/quote]

HAHA, that happened to me too! Expect it was Parasite Eve and there was NO disc inside.

Bad games in good cases happen all the time. Haven't checked the thrifts in awhile, however, I was having a good streak for awhile.
Complete Genesis Batman and Castle of Illusion - $5 total
Mega Man V, Kirby 64, Goemon - $9 total (cart only)
Thousand Arms (w/box and manual - No extras) - $10 (a little expensive)
D 3DO Complete - $5
Super Wing Commander 3DO Complete - $3
Street Fighter 3 Third Strike Complete DC - $5\
Seg

Many of these games are doubles, but this is just a small sample of what Ive got lately. It stinks that the Tampa Goodwills seem to post games online now, they used to be goldmines (got my 3DO at one!).

Got a great haul today!

Saga Frontier II - PERFECT condition - 5 bucks
Suikoden - Perfect except missing manual - 5 bucks
Yoshi Story - Cart Only - 6 bucks

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I had a decent find at a Goodwill:

Official Nintendo Wii/DS Wifi Connector (New) - $5.95[/quote]

Probably donated by the one and only Larry Bird.

I found another cheap item at a local thrift store(a Salvation Army no less, which round here aren't known for pricing stuff cheap).

Mind you, it's third party, but.....

I found a Mad Catz turbo controller for Genesis, complete with switches intact. They sold me it for .99. It was buried under a mound of assorted crap on a shelf and I was shocked when I found it.

Found a mint condition copy of mike tyson's punch out for the nes today (just the cart) for 1.50. It looks like it has never been played. Kind of a good deal :p

the other day i got
Megaman 2 cart only 1.99
Robocop Vs Terminator w/case mint .79
Marvel Vs Capcom DC 1.99
Zombie Revnge DC w/ bonus midway arcade disc inside 1.99
Silent Scope DC .79
The best dead i got...well, i dont know about best, but wierdest anyway, The Sims 2 brand new, the day it was released. 15.00

What a day today. I hit up 2 thrift stores, one had a boxed(USPS Priority Mail flat rate box) N64 with heavy amounts of tape 'sealing' the top of the box. I didn't wanna take the tape off to make sure the whole set was in there, but it looked like there were 2 Nintendo brand controllers in the box. It was marked $9.99. The cheapass in me wanted to get it, but the REAL cheapass in me said no way.

Next thrift store I hit had nothing really too good, a couple newer cds, plus the usual dreck from decades ago.

I spotted what looked like a former rental case in the case they keep the 'better' stuff. I looked inside the case and found a near mint copy of 28 Days Later in there. I checked the price tag, it looked like it read $1.89, so I scooped that up and went to pay.

Apparently, the clerk thought it read .89, so I got a copy of 28 Days Later for $.94 out the door. But....that's not the end of it......

I went out in my car to check out my purchase and thought about how ugly the 'cover' to the case was, so I opened the case up wide to pull it out and leave the case without a cover. As I do this, a cd pops out from behind the cover and lands in my lap, it's a Playstation game(could tell by the blue/black bottom). I flip the game over, it's Theme Park. I thought 'bonus for me'. So, I keep taking the cover out and out pops the case art for Theme Park from the OTHER side of the case.

So, I got a fairly recent movie and an almost complete(and almost mint minus a scuff and a couple prints) Playstation game for UNDER a dollar. Today was a great day for me.

Hit up a Goodwill today and found a stack of X-Box games. The lady said they were just put out today. Nothing special for the most part, but there was one gem in the lot:

Futurama (complete) - $10

And meanwhile my local Salvation Army is expecting $69 for a "might work right might not work right" Guitar Hero 2 for the 360. They have a HUGE stack of them there. I asked if they planned on lowering them down in price. They won't since "well the holidays are coming up so we can't do THAT!" Yeah... and this same store only allows 24 hour returns on Target donated items.

I'll pass.

Then again this Salvation Army is backasswards anyways. I got a Sega Game Gear there not too long ago with Sonic 2 and some Mickey Mouse game for $4.95. So what's so backasswards about that? Because whomever donated it left a nice minty non greatest hits copy of Castlevania: Dawn Of Sorrow DS in there. And somehow that Salvation Army thought that it belonged with the Sega Game Gear so they left it in there. :rofl:

Found the following at another thrift store:

Golden Axe: The Duel for Sega Saturn (complete) - $3
There are several light scratches on disc, manual cover has seperated from the rest of the manual but is still included, and there is a rental sticker on the disc that I need to try to remove.

Shinobi Legions for Sega Saturn (disc only) - $2
Disc has one small light scratch but is otherwise perfect.

I don't actually own a Saturn, so I'm not sure what I'll be doing with these. Couldn't pass up on a good deal though.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up

Dos:
Kings Quest V (5.25 disks) $3
Kings Quest VI (3.5 disks, but I have a "value" jewel case CD copy from a relative's old computer) $4
Castles (3.5 and 5.25 disks) $3

All are complete in the box.

Today I got a microscope, originally from Sears, that was in the box with the instruction pamphlet for $8. When I got home I noticed the previous owner left the batteries in it and they leaked which caused some discoloration of one side of the base. In the process of cleaning up the potassium hydroxide/carbonate I found out that the wires going to the bulb were not connected so now I have some soldering to do. Woo and hoo.

I also found a black label PS1 Crash Team Racing $3 but didn't pick it up.

[quote name='CS_Mike']Hit up a Goodwill today and found a stack of X-Box games. The lady said they were just put out today. Nothing special for the most part, but there was one gem in the lot:

Futurama (complete) - $10[/quote]

Damn!! That's $5 cheaper than I found my copy for @ FYE last week. But, was yours minty fresh as well? Mine looked like someone took a harsh cloth to it while trying to clean it, leaving some minor surface swirls, but otherwise it's pretty nice. It was complete too.

Now, if my local Salvation Army stores(we don't have a Goodwill that's truly 'local', but they're building a retail store about 40 mins from me)got those games in, they'd try to charge $5, but chances are they'd look like someone used a power sander on them before trading them in.

Oh and mguiddy, there was a microscope set at the one Salvation Army near me a couple weeks ago, they only wanted about $5 for it, but it had a nasty looking scalpel and some other questionable stuff that was donated with it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Damn!! That's $5 cheaper than I found my copy for @ FYE last week. But, was yours minty fresh as well? Mine looked like someone took a harsh cloth to it while trying to clean it, leaving some minor surface swirls, but otherwise it's pretty nice. It was complete too.
[/quote]

There are just a few light scratches, but still in very good condition overall. The manual looks like it was never used.

Here are a few of the finds I've made over the last couple months.

Complete Chrono Trigger (SNES)
This was actually at a used book store, but a great find none-the-less.

21 Sega CD games (loose) and 2 Sega music CD's.
These were found all loose in the case. I noticed this beneath the display counter. It was marked "$18.50 - Set" in the usual orange grease pencil. I thought "there must be something inside the case for that price," so I looked inside, not expecting to find games. But imagine my surprise to find:

Wonder Dog
Sega Classics (Strees of rage, Revenge of Shinobi, Columns, Golden Axe)
Night Trap (2 discs)
Dracula Unleashed (2 discs)
Prize Fighter (2 discs)
Cobra Command
Tomcat Alley
AH3 Thunder Strike
Sonic CD
Kriss Kross: Make My Video
NHL '94
ESPN National Hockey Night
WWF Rage In The Cage
Sol-Feace
NFL's Greatest San Fransisco vs Dallas 1978-1993
Ground Zero Texas
Eternal Champions
Chuck Rock
Sherlock Holmes: Cunsulting Detective
Batman Returns
Star Wars Rebel Assault

Also had these two Music CD's:
Sega of America Presents ADVENTUROUS NEW MUSIC
Sega of America Presents ROCK PAINTINGS

Thousand Arms (PS1)
Also at the used bookstore which, to me, has a distinct 'thrift store feel.'

Some random stuff (Zelda: LTTP was a Craigslist pick-up from some kid driven to the gas station (where we met) by his mom.

Power-Joy famiclone multi-game cart

Picked up a few N64 games at Goodwill for $2 each.

Conker's Bad Fur Day
Goldeneye
Starfox 64
Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire
Wave Race 64

Here are a few of the finds I've made over the last couple months.

How much was this?

[quote name='IkilledLassic']Here are a few of the finds I've made over the last couple months.

How much was this?[/QUOTE]

I think they knew what they had here as they had it in their diplay case for something like $50. I know that doesn't sound very CAGish, but I folded and looked at it as rewarding myself for all of my better finds.

Back in December I found a wired Guitar Hero II guitar for $25. Basically new, all the plastic was on the guitar and everything.

Yesterday I went to the nearest Goodwill and found an Embassy 10 sheet diamond cut shredder (to replace the 8 sheet strip cut one I got for christmas that broke (CD's get stuck in it) after a weeks use:roll: It's getting returned tomorrow) for $19.99. :bouncy:

Then today I went to one that is maybe 10 miles away from me. I always check the glass case up front, hoping to find a good game, movie, camera, etc. Nothing. So I'm leisurely walking around the back wall (where they have the "good stuff" (everything but clothes and the more "valuable" stuff that they keep up front) and spot this cat toy/tunnel thing. I spend a good minute and a half checking it out thinking "It'd be cool if my cats would like this... But I know they won't." All of a sudden I look up and WHAM! A :wii: Guitar Hero III bundle is staring me in the face. I moved as quick as I could to grab it. I have it, it's in my hands, it's all MINE!!! Muahahaha. I checked the price $35 bucks!:drool::bouncy::hot::bouncy::hot::bouncy: I opened it and everything looked brand new (still in the plastic, no stickers on the guitar, etc).

When I got home and looked at the disc there are some feather light scratches which puzzled me. Anywho I tested it and it works great. Now I have to decide if I want to keep it (I don't find Guitar Hero that much fun) or flip it on eBay to triple my money (auctions are ending around $90 - $120). I'm wary about selling on eBay though due to the big "SALVAGE" sticker on the front of the box and the light scratches on the disc (I'm likely to get someone who'll bitch and do a charge back or something)...

Excellent, mcguiddy!

Well, here's what I saw at a thrift, today. Yes, I bought them. $1.91 each.

Photo-0015.jpg

About a year ago, I was dropping off some old clothes to Goodwill when I stopped inside and found a mint Japanese copy of DDR Disney's Rave for the PSX for $2. Also bought a sealed copy of a CD from Korean pop group F.I.N.K.L for $1.

SCORE!

A couple of days ago I picked up Vigilante 8: Second Offense and Unreal Tournament, both for the Dreamcast for 3 bucks each. They are complete and in really good shape.

[quote name='Popnmusic']I purchased a wiimote for .99 at goodwill![/QUOTE]
is this a joke?

Also, i saw one of those DS/wii wireless adaptors 3weeks ago for $10

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
...it read $1.89, so I scooped that up and went to pay.

Apparently, the clerk thought it read .89, so I got a copy of 28 Days Later for $.94 out the door. But....that's not the end of it...... so I didn't tell the clerk and stole one measly dollar from them.

... it's a Playstation game(could tell by the blue/black bottom). I flip the game over, it's Theme Park. I thought 'bonus for me'I thought 'f no I'm not returning this, even if it is stealing.

So, I got a fairly recent movie that I didn't fully pay for and stole an almost complete(and almost mint minus a scuff and a couple prints) Playstation game for UNDER a dollar. Today was a great day for me.[/quote]

;]

[quote name='shaveice'];][/quote]

So, you're calling me a thief in no uncertain terms, huh? What was I supposed to do, say 'I found this item but it's too cheap, ass rape me for a higher price please'? I went by the price on the package and even though I thought the sticker said $1.89, I wasn't about to shoot myself in the foot and say that I thought it was going to be $2.

Considering most SA stores around by me price DVDs around $4-5 each and most video games in the $5-6 range, I'd say I got a hell of a deal. If ya ask me, their prices certainly aren't very 'thrifty' for a thrift store chain, especially when looking at the vintage 70's furniture that they want $250 for, shit stains and all. So, that all being said, if a clerk thinks a price tag says a lower price than I thought it was going to be, I'm not about to argue with them.

Hell, just recently I was about to buy a copy of Mankind's(aka Mick Foley,pro wrestler) second book and took it up to the register to pay. I figured the book would be $1-2, at most, then I read a sign by the register saying that 'books are 80% off of cover price'. So, they ring me up, it comes to almost $6(cause it was a hardcover). I'm like "NO THANKS".

That's what gets me about THRIFT stores, they seem to have forgotten the meaning of the word THRIFT. They get this shit for free, donated out of the kindness of peoples hearts, but have the balls to charge a % of retail price for it? So again, anytime I find a deal which is only made sweeter by a clerk who misreads the price sticker for lower, I'm not about to argue it or correct them. Be jealous all you want, but I'm content with 'stealing a dollar' from them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So, you're calling me a thief in no uncertain terms, huh? What was I supposed to do, say 'I found this item but it's too cheap, ass rape me for a higher price please'? I went by the price on the package and even though I thought the sticker said $1.89, I wasn't about to shoot myself in the foot and say that I thought it was going to be $2.

Considering most SA stores around by me price DVDs around $4-5 each and most video games in the $5-6 range, I'd say I got a hell of a deal. If ya ask me, their prices certainly aren't very 'thrifty' for a thrift store chain, especially when looking at the vintage 70's furniture that they want $250 for, shit stains and all. So, that all being said, if a clerk thinks a price tag says a lower price than I thought it was going to be, I'm not about to argue with them.

Hell, just recently I was about to buy a copy of Mankind's(aka Mick Foley,pro wrestler) second book and took it up to the register to pay. I figured the book would be $1-2, at most, then I read a sign by the register saying that 'books are 80% off of cover price'. So, they ring me up, it comes to almost $6(cause it was a hardcover). I'm like "NO THANKS".

That's what gets me about THRIFT stores, they seem to have forgotten the meaning of the word THRIFT. They get this shit for free, donated out of the kindness of peoples hearts, but have the balls to charge a % of retail price for it? So again, anytime I find a deal which is only made sweeter by a clerk who misreads the price sticker for lower, I'm not about to argue it or correct them. Be jealous all you want, but I'm content with 'stealing a dollar' from them.[/QUOTE]

Gaddamn, don't you think maybe you coulda just replied with something like "eh, who cares?" instead of making yourself out to be asshole. Seriously, does everything you post have to be 4-6 paragraphs long?

[quote name='Cmosfm']Gaddamn, don't you think maybe you coulda just replied with something like "eh, who cares?" instead of making yourself out to be asshole. Seriously, does everything you post have to be 4-6 paragraphs long?[/quote]

Sorry, but concise and to the point isn't my 'style'. Don't like it, put me on your ignore list.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sorry, but concise and to the point isn't my 'style'. Don't like it, put me on your ignore list.[/QUOTE]

Nah, then I wouldn't have you to laugh at anymore.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Gaddamn, don't you think maybe you coulda just replied with something like "eh, who cares?" instead of making yourself out to be asshole. Seriously, does everything you post have to be 4-6 paragraphs long?[/QUOTE]

CAG wouldn't be the same without the long winded rants from IAmTheCheapestGamer. ;)

I know this may be a stretch for an answer, but does anybody know of any in Massachusetts, lower NH, lower VT, or CT? I can't locate one for the life of me... :(

On one of my recent trips to D.I. I found some great stuff. I got a mint Japanese copy of Powerstone 2 for Dreamcast, Worms Armageddon for Dreamcast, Mint phantasy star online with bonus disc for Dreamcast, Game genie for SNES, an NES with cords + 2 controllers, mint Sonic 3 for Genesis, and an NES Satellite. Total Cost? $15!! and as a bonus when I got home and was playing with all my great new stuff, I discovered Kirby's adventure in the NES, and a dragon ball z PS1 game instead of the demo disc with Phantasy Star! Best day ever!

What was I supposed to do

The first thing you do is tell the Cashier he/she read it wrong and get the price adjusted. After finding the free game, you should have went back and returned it, because you did not pay for it.

It's not the value of what you stole, but the fact that you stole. If you withdrew $100 from the ATM machine and $10,000 came out (that wasn't yours) what would you do?

I am sorry, I am but a mere ethical man. If that's not how you roll that's cool. I mean aye, if it looks like a dog, smells like a dog, and barks like a dog, it damn sure is a dog. I'm just saying the truth.

All I'm saying is their error came out in MY favor and this kind of makes up for charging $150-250 for shit stained used furniture that they pretend to clean/disinfect.

They get this crap for free, so ANY amount over .00 is PROFIT for them, not taking into account the bills they pay to run each store. But believe me, a 90 some cent purchase isn't going to break them.

I can't help it if the clerk couldn't read the price sticker.

IAmTheCheapestGamer just worded his post poorly. He brought up the dvd case for 28 Days Later to the clerk, the clerk charged him .89 for it, and inside the case was 28 Days Later and a game. He didn't steal anything...no use getting on his case about something so small and insignificant.

This isnt really story but I do have a question. A store really close to my house is selling ICO for $10, Ive heard good things about this game but I was wondering if I should buy it.
Its used but the box looks perfect. I didnt get to see the disc itself but I could always walk down the block and check it out.

[quote name='JokerCard']This isnt really story but I do have a question. A store really close to my house is selling ICO for $10, Ive heard good things about this game but I was wondering if I should buy it.
Its used but the box looks perfect. I didnt get to see the disc itself but I could always walk down the block and check it out.[/quote]

You should definitely get this game. For $10.00 that's a great value for the experience.

[quote name='shaveice']After finding the free game, you should have went back and returned it, because you did not pay for it.[/QUOTE]

Depends on how you look at it. This DVD was probably donated with the Playstation game in the case also so it might has well be considered a bonus throw in. Stuff like this happens all of the time I looked in a DBZ DVD case the other day at the Salvation Army and it had Tenchu 2 in it which was surely donated like that and not switched around by a customer as they keep all of the PS1 games in the glass counter at this store.

[quote name='vicious7171']IAmTheCheapestGamer just worded his post poorly. He brought up the dvd case for 28 Days Later to the clerk, the clerk charged him .89 for it, and inside the case was 28 Days Later and a game. He didn't steal anything...no use getting on his case about something so small and insignificant.[/quote]

Precisely what I meant to say actually. I do sometimes word things incorrectly.

[quote name='shaveice']The first thing you do is tell the Cashier he/she read it wrong and get the price adjusted. After finding the free game, you should have went back and returned it, because you did not pay for it.

It's not the value of what you stole, but the fact that you stole. If you withdrew $100 from the ATM machine and $10,000 came out (that wasn't yours) what would you do?

I am sorry, I am but a mere ethical man. If that's not how you roll that's cool. I mean aye, if it looks like a dog, smells like a dog, and barks like a dog, it damn sure is a dog. I'm just saying the truth.[/quote]

for real, this is at a store where no inventory is kept, and in a situation where they lost...a dollar. i imagine that the clerk probably wouldn't care too much, either.

who am i to talk though, i'm not an ethical man like you. i shoplifted from the university convenience store 2 weeks during freshman year :(

[quote name='Demolition Man']CAG wouldn't be the same without the long winded rants from IAmTheCheapestGamer. ;)[/quote]

Agreed. I've had my run-in with IAmTheCheapestGamer and it was a spirited back and forth. Although I must say, it is much better to READ his posts than to BE A PART of them.

And, hey you got an unintentional deal, great for you. .99 cents isn't going to break anyone. That being said just keep in mind where that pure profit is going to (in most cases).

Carry on IAmTheCheapestGamer, carry on. :applause:

Yeah, I know they fund their programs to help people with that money. I did feel kind of bad, but a deal is a deal. I'm sure I'll donate some stuff to Salvation Army(since there's no Goodwill stores close to me, which usually have cheaper prices) and they'll sell it and make up the $1 or so they lost by selling the items I got to me for the wrong price.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yeah, I know they fund their programs to help people with that money. I did feel kind of bad, but a deal is a deal. ..[/quote]

Don't feel bad. Believe me, their just happy to move the product. It's not like you fleeced them out of a bunch of dough. They don't have time to go through every item to be sure it's all correct. They sold it, you got a deal, everyone wins.

DSC01148.jpg

Just got back from the Goodwill. All games have a few minor scratches and the manuals are all in great shape. I think I got a decent deal for 10 dollars. The Sonic Adventure is a 2 disc set with the second disc being a Sonic Adventure Time Trial

bread's done
Back