Tales of Vesperia - Gen. Discussion & Info

My playtime in this game has come to a grinding halt now that I've restarted a game of Dragon Quest IV. I'll get back to it eventually.

How long does this take to beat? I've got 20 hours in it so far.

[quote name='2DMention']My playtime in this game has come to a grinding halt now that I've restarted a game of Dragon Quest IV. I'll get back to it eventually.

How long does this take to beat? I've got 20 hours in it so far.[/QUOTE]

Vesperia or Dragon Quest IV?

Vesperia I spent 80 hours in. Main story if you don't do other stuff will still take upwards of 50.

Dragon Quest IV. I beat the first five chapters in 25 hours I think.(not sure)

Having a hell of a time finding where to go after I Return to Aspio. The FAQs for this game are terrible, and assume you know the map well.

I'm supposed to go to the ancient Kritian city that's south of Nordapolicia in some forest. I can't find NOrdapolica or the city. I wish the cities were marked from when you fly, or that this game had some kind of instant transportation spell like Dragon Quest. :hot:

This game is amazing. It's only been less than a year since I beat it and I already want to replay it :D

Really want to get a hold of the Limited Edition, the strategy guide, and the faceplate!

Been playing through this game over the past month. I can't believe it took me this long to start playing it. I bought it over a year ago and it was just rotting on my shelf. Have always loved tales games and this one is right up there near the top. Between this one, symphonia, and destiny I'm not sure which one I like the most. Destiny is probably on my list just because it was my first encounter and holds sentimental value.

Damn I can't believe I let this game sit on my backlog for so long, and the crap games I've played on my backlog before actually playing this.

I'm only 8 hours in this game, but I'm having a good time with it so far. I should really get around to using a different Char besides Yuri, but I'm liking the hack and slash.

This game breaks one of the cardinal rules of RPGs - Unskippable cutscenes.

And there are plenty of times where you lost against a boss and have to replay the cutscenes.

[quote name='2DMention']This game breaks one of the cardinal rules of RPGs - Unskippable cutscenes.

And there are plenty of times where you lost against a boss and have to replay the cutscenes.[/QUOTE]

They fixed that in the Ps3 version. Won't do you anything do of course. You can hold X and A to make it go as fast as as it can.

Is the PS3 version have any English in it? Is it import friendly? I have the Limited Edition, but I haven't played it. I've been hoping for the PS3 version.

[quote name='erehwon']Is the PS3 version have any English in it? Is it import friendly? I have the Limited Edition, but I haven't played it. I've been hoping for the PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 version has no English support. Only import friendly if you can speak/read Japanese fluently.

It has been almost 29 months since this game came out in the states and about 18 months since the PS3 version came out in Japan. Namco Bandai IS NOT porting the PS3 version to the States. If they were we would have heard something by now.

If you're so worried about keeping your Limited Edition sealed, buy a new regular 360 copy from Amazon, about $19 right now before shipping. Although by keeping your CE sealed, you lost out on your opportunity to get Vol. 2/3 of the 10th anniversary soundtrack for free (Vol. 1 is the CD in the CE and you had to redeem a code in the case to get the other 2 volumes.)

[quote name='MSUHitman']The PS3 version has no English support. Only import friendly if you can speak/read Japanese fluently.

It has been almost 29 months since this game came out in the states and about 18 months since the PS3 version came out in Japan. Namco Bandai IS NOT porting the PS3 version to the States. If they were we would have heard something by now.

If you're so worried about keeping your Limited Edition sealed, buy a new regular 360 copy from Amazon, about $19 right now before shipping. Although by keeping your CE sealed, you lost out on your opportunity to get Vol. 2/3 of the 10th anniversary soundtrack for free (Vol. 1 is the CD in the CE and you had to redeem a code in the case to get the other 2 volumes.)[/QUOTE]
Actually, I opened mine and did get the soundtracks. I sadly, just haven't gotten around to playing it. I really need to work on my RPG backlog.

A part of me wants the PS3 version just for the Kos-Mos costume for one of the characters.

Guess Namco Bandai just doesn't want our money.

[quote name='erehwon']Is the PS3 version have any English in it? Is it import friendly? I have the Limited Edition, but I haven't played it. I've been hoping for the PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

There is a group working on an English patch for PS3 Vesperia (and Graces too). They should be releasing the patching before the end of the year.

[quote name='62t']There is a group working on an English patch for PS3 Vesperia (and Graces too). They should be releasing the patching before the end of the year.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I haven't updated the firmware on PS3 then. This is a good reason to jailbreak a PS3. I just need to see if I can track down a cheap copy of this game. Damn, I just checked and it's $84 on play-asia. Wasn't expecting it to be that much.

Posted in the RPG thread, but will repeat here too...

How do you beat Poseiden in the last area? YOu can't combo him, and my retarded pt. members Rita and Estelle cast nuke magic for a while and then just stand around doing nothing. Is there a way you can directly control them or tell them to keep nuking? I'm a little underleveled anyway - lvl. 43.

[quote name='2DMention']Posted in the RPG thread, but will repeat here too...

How do you beat Poseiden in the last area? YOu can't combo him, and my retarded pt. members Rita and Estelle cast nuke magic for a while and then just stand around doing nothing. Is there a way you can directly control them or tell them to keep nuking? I'm a little underleveled anyway - lvl. 43.[/QUOTE]

Well, you can change their strategies to like "all out" and "use all TP" but yeah, you can control them. It's very tedious to try and control all members during a battle, so I'd suggest using it only in circumstances which the AI is retarded. Anyway, you just press Y to bring up the menu, then choose Artes and select the Arte for the given character and use it on the enemies.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Well, you can change their strategies to like "all out" and "use all TP" but yeah, you can control them. It's very tedious to try and control all members during a battle, so I'd suggest using it only in circumstances which the AI is retarded. Anyway, you just press Y to bring up the menu, then choose Artes and select the Arte for the given character and use it on the enemies.[/QUOTE]

Could I switch Rita to leader and just control her and have Yuri be the retard who does no damage?

Wow Level 43? If it's the FINAL area you have to be in the 60's to survive, and if you found all the cursed weapons and you get the 2nd final boss then you have to be at least level 85. Sounds like you have some grinding to do.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Wow Level 43? If it's the FINAL area you have to be in the 60's to survive, and if you found all the cursed weapons and you get the 2nd final boss then you have to be at least level 85. Sounds like you have some grinding to do.[/QUOTE]

Overlimit on Rita + overlimit skills + meteor storm! + constant overlimit = win

And yeah, you can switch your leaders whenever (I think even mid-battle).

[quote name='MSUHitman']Wow Level 43? If it's the FINAL area you have to be in the 60's to survive, and if you found all the cursed weapons and you get the 2nd final boss then you have to be at least level 85. Sounds like you have some grinding to do.[/QUOTE]

He's at Zaude, that place with a ton of water all over and has the boss named Poseidon.
So no, he's not in the final area and Poseidon is level 55'ish.
(Spoiler not meant to be clicked by 2D)

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Overlimit on Rita + overlimit skills + meteor storm! + constant overlimit = win

And yeah, you can switch your leaders whenever (I think even mid-battle).[/QUOTE]

Makes the game boring, but great for Grade grinding. However, yes, you can change leaders in the menu and during battle you can change the controlling character at any time.

Although I never really had an issue with AI controlled members not doing damage. Yuri was pretty beastly when I played. However attacking the same enemy as Judith can be a pain sometimes because of how her skills are in comparison with others.

[quote name='Draekon']

Although I never really had an issue with AI controlled members not doing damage. Yuri was pretty beastly when I played. However attacking the same enemy as Judith can be a pain sometimes because of how her skills are in comparison with others.[/QUOTE]

How do you switch who you control? Select. There's a lot of stuff they never talk you through the tutorials in this game.

[quote name='2DMention']How do you switch who you control? Select. There's a lot of stuff they never talk you through the tutorials in this game.[/QUOTE]

Well, here's the kicker. You need to synthesize an item called Moon Selector (I think is what it's called). Then you can go into the menu mid-battle and I think you hit start (or Y) to switch. I'm not completely certain on that bit.

I just did a general google search to refresh my memory since I haven't touched this game in over a year. However yeah, they don't tutorialize everything.

Finally beat this game.

Closing thoughts:

-Nice artwork and end credits screen
-It's a shame the PS3 one won't get localized.
-The last boss wasn't too bad, I had more trouble with Poesieden
-Last dungeon was annoying
-FAQs aren't too good for this game and don't refer to general directions on the overworld map
-The story reminded me of a environmentalist story
-Characters are cliched JRPG standard fare

As for the characters Yuri is one of the best MCs in any JRPGs. Raven and Judith are interesting and very likable characters. Rita is a bitch, I hate her. Esstelle is borderline retarded. I've never liked little kids in my RPGs so of course Carol being a pussy wasn't very likable.

[quote name='Rodimus']As for the characters Yuri is one of the best MCs in any JRPGs. Raven and Judith are interesting and very likable characters. Rita is a bitch, I hate her. Esstelle is borderline retarded. I've never liked little kids in my RPGs so of course Carol being a pussy wasn't very likable.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more....expect I was quite fond of Rita

[quote name='Cheddahz']Couldn't agree with you more....expect I was quite fond of Rita[/QUOTE]

I never even used Karol (Karol with a K? Really?). He was too awkward.

Ha, I thought Rita was a lot of fun, but I tend to like bitchy, sarcastic women in my RPGs. :)

I really liked Estelle too. The sheltered princess archetype is pretty common in these types of games, but Yuri as the older, worldly, hardened character is a decidedly uncommon JRPG protagonist, and I thought they went to some interesting places in playing those two character types off of each other.

[quote name='2DMention']I never even used Karol (Karol with a K? Really?). He was too awkward.[/QUOTE]

He was, he just looked ridiculous carrying around that hammer that was bigger and probably weighed more than he did.

I rarely had him in battle, save the times you actually had to use him.

[quote name='jello44']He was, he just looked ridiculous carrying around that hammer that was bigger and probably weighed more than he did.

I rarely had him in battle, save the times you actually had to use him.[/QUOTE]

I liked seeing him in battle because he has that giant sword then holding a giant purse just looks really funny.

bread's done
Back