Tales of Xillia Collector’s Edition Includes Milla Figurine & Art Book - $100

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
From SiliconEra today.

Tales of Xillia is getting a collector’s edition in North America and Europe, Namco Bandai have announced.

The collector’s edition will come in limited edition packaging and will include the game, a Milla Maxwell figurine, a 100-page art book and a music CD.

The Tales of Xillia collector’s edition will cost $99.99 in North America and €99.99/£85.99 in Europe. Meanwhile, the regular game will cost $60 in North America. Namco will release the RPG on August 6th in North America and August 9th in Europe.

You’ll be able to pre-order the Tales of Xillia collector’s edition from “participating retailers” in North America. In Europe, the collector’s edition is up for pre-order at Namco’s Tales store. Only 10,000 copies will be available at the online store.

tales_ce.jpg

Pre-order is currently available on Gamestop.com.

Figure is 21.5 cm (8.46 in.). Thanks midlifecrisisMkII for finding it out!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='musha666']I dont understand the big deal here. Am I missing something? Its 2 DLC costumes. Meaningless DLC. It isnt a new character or new missions or anything like that, its 2 costumes most people wouldnt spend $2 on if it was just stuck on the PSN.[/QUOTE]

But it probably won't be. Thus making it worth more. ;)

[quote name='StryderOmega']But it probably won't be. Thus making it worth more. ;)[/QUOTE]

Except that you can either use it or sell it. The two are mutually exclusive. In my book that destroys virtually all of the value.

I just don't get the whole alternate costume/useless item DLC thing. I sell off every bit of DLC that I get that isn't actual bonus content (missions, quests, etc). And I never cease to be astounded at the prices some of it will fetch.

But, hey, I'm glad people pay for that crap. It ends up making my game collecting habit much more affordable.

[quote name='musha666']I dont understand the big deal here. Am I missing something? Its 2 DLC costumes. Meaningless DLC. It isnt a new character or new missions or anything like that, its 2 costumes most people wouldnt spend $2 on if it was just stuck on the PSN.[/QUOTE]

My problem is not so much the DLC being in the Limited but that the Limited gets the full music CD while the Collector's Edition gets a sample. I feel they should be switched. Either way I'm sticking with the CE for the artbook and Milla figure.

If someone's shelling out more money for a collector's edition, it should probably have everything a collector would want (read: everything)

[quote name='SW4J']If someone's shelling out more money for a collector's edition, it should probably have everything a collector would want (read: everything)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's more just the principle... This works out great for me, since I do like costumes but don't care about a statue. But someone who wants everything should be able to buy the most expensive edition and get everything... not have to buy multiple editions.

[quote name='xFatalFlaw']...the Limited gets the full music CD while the Collector's Edition gets a sample. [/QUOTE]

Wow... thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even realize that. I just assumed they were both the same CD. That's lame as hell.

Silicon Era updated their post after hearing back from Namco. The contents of the two editions are indeed all different items:

Update: We’ve gotten clarification regarding the contents of the collector’s and limited edition of the game. From a Namco Bandai e-mail sent to Siliconera:

“The costumes, character profile booklet and music cd are exclusive to the Limited Edition, while the Milla Maxwell figure, art book and music selection CD are exclusive to the Collector’s Edition.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/30/tales-of-xillia-limited-edition-announced-for-u-s/

I have to applaud Namco Bandai's marketing strategy. People complain, but they're going probably to buy the game anyway. Maybe even both editions just for that completion/OCD sake.

Honestly, I haven't heard any of the whiners saying they're going to cancel their orders because of the two distinct editions.

[quote name='scott_matthews']Wow... thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even realize that. I just assumed they were both the same CD. That's lame as hell.[/QUOTE]
Going based on the pictures, the art books are different too. So for the poster asking above, that's the big deal. I personally don't care about the DLC, but I'm annoyed I've basically got to choose between two soundtracks and art books or buy both editions.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I have to applaud Namco Bandai's marketing strategy. People complain, but they're going probably to buy the game anyway. Maybe even both editions just for that completion/OCD sake.

Honestly, I haven't heard any of the whiners saying they're going to cancel their orders because of the two distinct editions.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no kidding... unfortunately, if you're a hardcore fan then you'll want as much as you can get your hands on and Namco's exploiting this as much as possible.

I'm not sure what to do with the CE. This is arguably one of the shadiest things a company could do.

I know most sites updated it to say the two versions will get different items, but does anyone follow their forums or twitter? Any response from those sources?

It does suck, but given the state of the game industry these days I can't say I really blame them for trying to double dip on sales. I'd much rather have a publisher do something like this than not bring a JRPG to the states at all.

I just hope I can sell the figure. All I want is the game and art book.

Unless...someone here didn't want their art book...

[quote name='Skychrono']I just hope I can sell the figure. All I want is the game and art book.

Unless...someone here didn't want their art book...[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you'll be able to sell the figure. For how much? That I don't know but you'll definitely find buyers for it.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I have to applaud Namco Bandai's marketing strategy. People complain, but they're going probably to buy the game anyway. Maybe even both editions just for that completion/OCD sake.

Honestly, I haven't heard any of the whiners saying they're going to cancel their orders because of the two distinct editions.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't even trying to whine if that's how you interpretted my initial text. I'm ok with it to be honest, but I'm less likely to keep my collector's edition since I really just wanted a soundtrack. The figurine is just a bonus, and now I may just hold it to see if it carries any value down the line.

[quote name='xFatalFlaw']My problem is not so much the DLC being in the Limited but that the Limited gets the full music CD while the Collector's Edition gets a sample. I feel they should be switched. Either way I'm sticking with the CE for the artbook and Milla figure.[/QUOTE]

I kinda doubt either edition will include the FULL soundtrack. The Japanese release of the complete soundtrack is 3 CDs long (4 if you count the one w/ some kind of bonus track). If I'm wrong and that's what the LE includes, then I may have to double dip. But afaik the only JRPG that ever included the *complete* soundtrack was the FF XIII-2 LE.

[quote name='argyle']I kinda doubt either edition will include the FULL soundtrack. The Japanese release of the complete soundtrack is 3 CDs long (4 if you count the one w/ some kind of bonus track). If I'm wrong and that's what the LE includes, then I may have to double dip. But afaik the only JRPG that ever included the *complete* soundtrack was the FF XIII-2 LE.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been meaning to post this for a while. No matter which CD you end up with, you're going to be getting a severely abridged soundtrack.

Unless some news of everyone getting the same stuff comes soon, I might be swayed to cancel my orders.Really dont like being screwed over, and I can easily just buy the figurine somewhere (Already have a site thats selling for 65ish).

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold the phone. I'm a bit late here.

So the CE doesn't include the LE stuff including the DLC costumes?

What kind of BS is this? Will Amazon carry the LE? If so, I'm just going to downgrade to that. What a load of crap!

As far as we know and were told, it looks like the LE comes with a full soundtrack and DLC, and an artbook (Which is likely in the CEs artbook anyway)

The CE soundtrack appears to be a sample, and we dont get the DLC (Which is a big deal for tales games, as they tend to not go on the psn store)

Just a giant failure in general.

They had to go and mess this one up to huh.

Namco WTH are you consulting with Digital River or EA or something?! >:[

[quote name='dgwillia006']As far as we know and were told, it looks like the LE comes with a full soundtrack and DLC, and an artbook (Which is likely in the CEs artbook anyway)

The CE soundtrack appears to be a sample, and we dont get the DLC (Which is a big deal for tales games, as they tend to not go on the psn store)

Just a giant failure in general.[/QUOTE]

Again, neither of the included soundtrack CDs is a full soundtrack. The full soundtrack would be multiple discs. As for which is better, there's no indication yet as to which CD will have more tracks than the other.

[quote name='dgwillia006']As far as we know and were told, it looks like the LE comes with a full soundtrack and DLC, and an artbook (Which is likely in the CEs artbook anyway)

Just a giant failure in general.[/QUOTE]
The LE doesn't have a artbook, it's a "booklet", whatever that means, I'm thinking a glorified insert.

From the sound of it, I was thinking itd be along the lines of one you would get from a preorder. Like Fire Emblem Awakenings or something.

Honestly the limited edition has more value than the collector's edition. The figure in the collector's edition doesn't even look that good. The 1/8 scale one looked a lot better. I know it really comes down to price but if you wanted a good looking Milla figure that was the one (Tales of Xillia - Milla Maxwell 1/8) to get. Sadly it seems like many of the Japanese hobby stores are sold out online so you would be hard pressed to find one now.

I think I might jump ship and just go for the limited edition like many of you are stating.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Just curious, I know the 1/8 is a different pose, but are they the same size? I was considering buying Jude and a few others[/QUOTE]

Technically, 1/8 sizes range according to the heights of the character (1/8 means that they are an eighth of the actual size and height if the character were to exist in real life). Most range from 15-22 cm though.

If you are asking about the size differences between the figure in the CE and the 1/8 one, the 1/8 one is bigger due to the fact that the prize figure stands at around 18 cm without the stand and the scaled figure stands at 21 cm. Usually prize figures tend not to be scaled, and if they are, they are smaller than 1/8 due to less costs of production, quality, etc.

Also, to people on the edge about getting the LE and CE, it might be important to note that market value for the figure stands at 3980¥

Last edited by a moderator:
i have my ce preordered at gamestop, i am keeping it, but i might be tempted to pickup the limited edition with $20 credit from amazon.

[quote name='HakaHina']Technically, 1/8 sizes range according to the heights of the character (1/8 means that they are an eighth of the actual size and height if the character were to exist in real life). Most range from 15-22 cm though.

If you are asking about the size differences between the figure in the CE and the 1/8 one, the 1/8 one is bigger due to the fact that the prize figure stands at around 18 cm without the stand and the scaled figure stands at 21 cm. Usually prize figures tend not to be scaled, and if they are, they are smaller than 1/8 due to less costs of production, quality, etc.

Also, to people on the edge about getting the LE and CE, it might be important to note that market value for the figure stands at 3980¥
[/QUOTE]

Ah ok thanks, thats not that big of a difference. I know I want to buy Jude's for sure, if its still in stock, I might buy Millia's as well for now.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Just curious, I know the 1/8 is a different pose, but are they the same size? I was considering buying Jude and a few others[/QUOTE]

I love my 1/8 figure of Milla. I too am considering buying the Jude one along with the Estelle one that amiami had up for pre-order.

I'm definitely keeping my CE pre-order so I can have both figures. Though I might double dip now and get the LE as well..

EDIT: Just an FYI, Milla 1/8 is sold out on amiami.

Weird, could have sworn I saw it in stock earlier. Eh, I moreso want the Jude one, but I'll be sure to keep an eye out for Milla since it seems to be rare

So their intention was to add a few bonuses to Normal $60 edition to get people on the fence to pre-order. But in reality it made some of the $100 pre-orders cancel and downgrade to $60 edition? That sounds bad, this is a little messed up and should have been clarified better. I really do hope they update with adding something to the $100 CE.

I want this game to do well, I want the sequel too!

prize figures are hard to damage. they are not resin or anything like that (those Street Fighter CE/Residenti eveil CE figures), they are just cheap plastic which is pretty resilent. (in general, more so than scaled figures)

[quote name='Kazaganthi']I really do hope they update with adding something to the $100 CE.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they won't. Namco seems to know how to fuck up pre-orders and upgrades.

I'm keeping my preorder of the CE at GS for the time being. I ended up preordering the LE too. I will wait and see what Namco's response will be over this issue.

Like others, I'm going to wait and see what Namco's response is to all this. However, there are too many games coming out this summer to waste my money on this nonsense. I'll cancel my pre-order at GS and just put the money towards a couple of other new games.

Wow Namco, you guys just love debacles. Now i want to cancel my CE all together and just wait for the game to fall in price all together or perhaps buy it used.

[quote name='Blank Earth']Yeah, I'm pissed. $160 to get everything? That's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

You guys do know in Japan the limited editions for these were 250.

Xillia 1 famitsu pack was at 250 at the time. But it came with much more and there were multiple versions. Whatever was in the famitsu pack wasn't in the ps3 pack.

FAMITSU DX PACK
Famitsu-DX-set.jpg

Playstation 3 Xillia PACK
main.php

Tales of Xillia Kyun Character PACK
Picture1304.jpg

Tales of Xillia 2 Famitsu PACK
tales-xillia-2-famitsu-dx-pack-areky-1211-16-AReKy@1.jpg

Tales of Xillia 2 PS3 remote PACK
ps3-tales-of-xillia-2-dual-shock-3-limited-edition.jpg

Tales of Xillia 2 Kyun Character PACK
tales-of-xillia-2-kyun-chara-lalabit-limited-edition-limited-ps3-en.jpg

I chose the famitsu pack for Xillia 1/2 because the plushies of the mascot characters Lulu and Tipo go for 100+ alone and are hard to find. One I got from Dv8 as he won it in a lottery from famitsu as they are online through the online store lalabit market. The Kyun character packs have nendos along with calendars and a large novel to encase everything. The last version has a dualshock for xillia 2 that matches the Xillia ps3.

I get what you guys are saying, but hey... at least there aren't VERY different editions. Having to shell out 200 for the kyun character pack, 250 for the famitsu, and 120 for the remote pack let alone the ps3 is a big deal. I ordered the CE too, but to me maybe I should pass and get those Kyun Character packs instead as most of the JP LEs are nicer neway.

Multiple versions for Tales of bundles isn't new to namco, what should be surprising is that there's only two editions for the US release.

P.S. The hardest decision would be the DLC as they don't list pre-order DLC on the psn store at a later date ever for a Tales games. The costumes come with remade theme songs, so it isn't just a re-skin you get battle music too. The full ost is four discs so if namco usa says you get the OST and its one disc, that isn't possible. I hope the info I have helps others make a decision.

Just remembered I still had 3 C.E orders down lol. Guess I'll cancel my GS one since its the most expensive, and their shipping is slow as hell

[quote name='Tsukinikawatte']You guys do know in Japan the limited editions for these were 250.[/QUOTE]

Tales is also more popular in Japan, selling on average 9-10x the number of units compared to the US. Not to mention video games and DVDs/BluRays in general are quite a bit more expensive over there.

damn you guys had me worried about missing out on this dlc
but.......as fucked up as it is to not get everything in the collector's edition
the DLC costumes are TERRIBLE

Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Symphonia Dawn of a New World confirmed for PS3 (HD collection basically) with added content, coming stateside in 2014.

bread's done
Back