Tarantino F-I-N-A-L-L-Y talks about Kill Bill recut!

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
FFFFFFIIIIINNNNAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYY. I've been waiting on this for what seems like forever! This was supposed to happen last Christmas, but the project was abandoned.. now it's back on!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=274449

Scott Weinberg writes: "Brit movie site The Digital Spy, which I found by way of the (rather awesome) Cinematical blog, shares a brief bit of news regarding the certifiably insane Quentin Tarantino and his plans to smoosh "Kill Bill" 1 & 2 back into one (long) movie.

""I want to cut the whole movie together like one big epic with an intermission in the middle like a 60s film," explained the iconic director. "It'll be coming out in theatres."

"I've been holding off because I've been working on it for so long that I just wanted a year off from Kill Bill and then I'll do the big supplementary DVD package.""

It's currently scheduled for a Fall/Winter 2006 release. I can't wait!

Too bad we didn't get the same box set the French did.

I put off buying Kill Bill 1 & 2 for this reason because he said in a couple of interviews it was going to be one long movie and I did the same for Sin City (which finally came out) and holding out for Star Wars the Ultimate 6 disc set (I can wish can't I).

[quote name='capitalist_mao']but...kill bill wasn't a good movie.[/QUOTE]

QFT

But, if he removes about an hour and a half of unnecessary exposition and cleans up the kung fu, it may turn out much better.

[quote name='headpiece747']I put off buying Kill Bill 1 & 2 for this reason because he said in a couple of interviews it was going to be one long movie and I did the same for Sin City (which finally came out) and holding out for Star Wars the Ultimate 6 disc set (I can wish can't I).[/QUOTE]
Me too. I hate rebuying movies.

I hope that QT actually makes some more changes besides slapping the two movies together with an intermission in the middle. If he just adds an intermission, I'm not very interested.

Maybe there's some goodies he can add back into the film, since he doesn't have to worry about running time with an intermission.

My friend and I had endless conversations about Kill Bill. I thought the movie was awesome but my friend said it sucked. There never has been such an argument over a movie like Kill Bill.

Aw this is freakin awesome (to quote ATHF)! Can't wait. All of us that have been waiting for an American set like this have been waiting forever. At least Robert Rodriguez delivered on the Sin City set. But at last this will finally arrive....sometime in 06.

[quote name='Quillion']QFT

But, if he removes about an hour and a half of unnecessary exposition and cleans up the kung fu, it may turn out much better.[/QUOTE]

I was kind of thinking the same thing. There are parts that I REALLY like in the movies but somethings seemed out of place. A certain special effect they used was just too far over the top. I actually wish the whole thing would have been animated.

Overall I enjoyed it, but it could have been even better IMO.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']but...kill bill wasn't a good movie.[/QUOTE]

..are you kidding me? It kicked ass and a half, it's freakin' awesome.

..though I do kinda wish they'd merge them and not have one half action, one half story.. maybe an action chapter, then story chapter, then action chapter, etc..

But, see, the problem is that it's a 4+ hour movie. They would have to split it up into 2 discs anyway. Like The Saucy One said, I hope that more footage is added, but it probably won't be.

And this whole debacle is making me dislike Tarantino more and more. I remember he didn't record commentaries for his first 3 films on DVD because he was "sick of talking about them." Sick of talking about them? They're your films! Man up and spare a couple hours for something that millions of your fans are going to listen to and get happiness from. And now he's taken a year off from Kill Bill. Ugh. I think artists have a responsibility to their fans, so maybe I'm just in the wrong. :rolleyes:

I wish Tarantino could be more like Peter Jackson, who delivers 4 commentaries for each 3+ hour film and 20 hours of documentary footage in total for films he's worked on for the past 3 or 4 years. He makes Tarantino look like a pampered baby. :p

Announcement to idiots:

Kill Bill, vol.1 and 2 aren't supposed to be action movies.

Watch a '60s - '70s eastern kung-fu and a '60s - '70s Italian spaghetti western and you'll see what I'm talking about...

East meets West (save for the Italy part), when they're really the same to begin with.

To go further, I've never understood why people expect all of Tarantino's work to be action movies... you know, since none of them are, to begin with. I enjoy how "Pulp Fiction", "Jackie Brown", "Reservoir Dogs" and so on are all in the action section of Best Buy... I'm stunned that people are that stupid.

[quote name='Brak']Announcement to idiots:

Kill Bill, vol.1 and 2 aren't supposed to be action movies.

Watch a '60s - '70s eastern kung-fu and a '60s - '70s Italian spaghetti western and you'll see what I'm talking about...

East meets West (save for the Italy part), when they're really the same to begin with.

To go further, I've never understood why people expect all of Tarantino's work to be action movies... you know, since none of them are, to begin with. I enjoy how "Pulp Fiction", "Jackie Brown", "Reservoir Dogs" and so on are all in the action section of Best Buy... I'm stunned that people are that stupid.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! You took some of the words right out of my mouth. If you understand what Tarantino was actually trying to do with Kill Bill, you can't help but come away loving it. If you want some generic action film, there are plenty of thoughtless directors out there itching to get your money.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Thank you! You took some of the words right out of my mouth. If you understand what Tarantino was actually trying to do with Kill Bill, you can't help but come away loving it. If you want some generic action film, there are plenty of thoughtless directors out there itching to get your money.[/QUOTE]

Yes. :)

And to go further, in '60s - '70s Easterns and (Italian) Westerns, the crutch was never action. There were long, long drawn scenes of dialogue, scenery shots and character photography... but when there was action, it would hit you HARD and be extremely over the top; ala-Kill Bill.

That's what I really loved about Kill Bill... the nods to Spaghetti westerns and classic Kung Fu movies. The camerawork, the dialogue... :)

I still want to make my little classic Kung Fu "tribute" movie. Use the classic sound effects (like the loud smacks and the fabric whooshing sounds when people moved) and camera styles (like the camera zooming into someone's face when they are about to fight or after they've said something important to the plot)... I think that'd be cool.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']and camera styles (like the camera zooming into someone's face when they are about to fight or after they've said something important to the plot)...[/QUOTE]

I love it when the quick zoom-in on their face actually misses their face, followed by the camera man quickly adjusting it on their face. I've lost count as to how many times I've seen that. :)

[quote name='Brak']I love it when the quick zoom-in on their face actually misses their face, followed by the camera man quickly adjusting it on their face. I've lost count as to how many times I've seen that. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I love that too. Also, I love the quick zoom-in, and then the person starts attacking and the camera goes out of focus. There's a good example of this in Drunken Master. Hwang Jang Lee has the camera zoom in on his face, and then he starts leaping foward with an attack, and the whole thing goes out of focus for a few seconds. :lol:

I loved the Kill Bill movies. I watch them at least once a week, usually more, and I don't even own the DVDs (thanks Starz/Encore!). The first one is my favorite, but the second, whilenot as good, is still pretty awesome. I never got to see them in the theater, so I'd love to get that chance.

[quote name='zewone']I'll believe it when I see it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the way this was originally talked about by Tarantino, on and on and then nothing makes me take a wait and see attitude about it. He could just as easily lose motivation again.

so what makes that french set better than the jap limited editions i have, other than the fact that it packages both movies, and both ost's together in one swank looking packaging?

I would say, no way this will be released in theaters - it'll just be a SE DVD release (if it even happens at all.) But the two movies did pretty good box IIRC, so I guess it could happen.

[quote name='wubb']I would say, no way this will be released in theaters - it'll just be a SE DVD release (if it even happens at all.) But the two movies did pretty good box IIRC, so I guess it could happen.[/QUOTE]
If they did I imagine it would probably be limited release.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']I hope that QT actually makes some more changes besides slapping the two movies together with an intermission in the middle. If he just adds an intermission, I'm not very interested.

Maybe there's some goodies he can add back into the film, since he doesn't have to worry about running time with an intermission.[/QUOTE]

There is the black and white bit on Volume 1 that is in color on the Japan DVD release (plus its a bit more graphic as well).

[quote name='Demolition Man']There is the black and white bit on Volume 1 that is in color on the Japan DVD release (plus its a bit more graphic as well).[/QUOTE]

Yep. I have the excellent Japanese DVD with those extra bits of footage. :D

I'm hoping that QT adds/does something to these movies that makes it worthwhile. If he just puts the Japanese part 1 with part 2 and slaps an intermission in between, I'll just stick with my current DVDs.

[quote name='Demolition Man']There is the black and white bit on Volume 1 that is in color on the Japan DVD release (plus its a bit more graphic as well).[/QUOTE]
I had originally seen the first film in Japanese theaters, while I was living there, so I when I sat down to watch the American DVD for the first time, when it got to that scene, I thought something had gone wrong with my TV.

bread's done
Back