Target Clearance Thread XXII

My wife bought me Borderlands 2 regular edition for the PS3 for $5.99.  I realized I got it through PSN plus though so it's going back.

My wife bought me Borderlands 2 regular edition for the PS3 for $5.99. I realized I got it through PSN plus though so it's going back.
that is the bad thing about ps plus, i see all these deals and i have to check my ps store account to see if i already own it or not.

The following is more relevant to the recent sale on discontinued consoles at Target, but it might be useful for clearance too in the future.

I had an enlightening discussion with an Electronics team leader at a local Target in Novato, CA. An authorized reseller is someone authorized by Target to buy a crapton of merchandise tax-free and resell it, in this case, overseas. Apparently, authorized resellers work a network that travels through all of the California Targets and buys up basically every console they can at the lowest prices they can, by using rain checks, cartwheel, coupons, pharmacy rewards, etc. Bundles and limited editions are in especially high demand apparently, although Target limits how many they can purchase at a time, they eventually all get sold to the resellers before long. I guess the rich kids in Dubai, Cuba, and North Korea are picky about these things (or wherever else it's hard to find authentic electronics products so they have to be shipped by a 3rd party)

This could explain why the discontinued Vitas, 3DS's, and Wii U's were virtually non-existent in many people's search this past week throughout California. I can't verify this info 100% but I have seen a reseller buying 20+ different consoles at a time before.

tl;dr: a 3rd party buys lots of discontinued consoles in California, unlikely to find them in clearance or be available for sales

Edited for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:
This could explain why the discontinued Vitas, 3DS's, and Wii U's were virtually non-existent in many people's search this past week throughout California. I can't verify this info 100% but I have seen a reseller buying 20+ consoles at a time before.
Sounds like that person knows very little. Resellers probably did buy a lot from this sale, but majority of items sold where to most likely to everyone else who simply saw the sale.

Plus most of the consoles on clearance where already hard to find seeing as they were discontinued months ago. People were also (even in CA) able to find consoles days after the sale started.

Don't get me wrong, you will have those people who buy 20+ of a system (unlikely seeing as no Target had 20+ of any of these clearance systems), but its highly doubtful (even in CA) that it happens at even 50% of stores by that same situation or quantity. Add in the fact that even before the sale started that these consoles where already hard to find and you have a basic everyone saw this sale and went for it, reseller or not.

The following is more relevant to the recent sale on discontinued consoles at Target, but it might be useful for clearance too in the future.

I had an enlightening discussion with an Electronics team leader at a local Target in Novato, CA. A reseller is someone authorized by Target to buy a crapton of merchandise tax-free and resell it, in this case, overseas. Apparently, resellers work a network that travels through all of the California Targets and buys up basically every console they can at the lowest prices they can, by using rain checks, cartwheel, coupons, pharmacy rewards, etc. Bundles and limited editions are in especially high demand apparently, although Target limits how many they can purchase at a time, they eventually all get sold to the resellers before long. I guess the rich kids in Dubai, Cuba, and North Korea are picky about these things (or wherever else it's hard to find authentic electronics products so they have to be shipped by a 3rd party)

This could explain why the discontinued Vitas, 3DS's, and Wii U's were virtually non-existent in many people's search this past week throughout California. I can't verify this info 100% but I have seen a reseller buying 20+ consoles at a time before.

tl;dr: a 3rd party buys every discontinued console in California, unlikely to ever find them in clearance or be available for sales
At the Target I work for, I encounter resellers on a frequent basis. iPads are the biggest thing that they go for. I always limit them to one. This goes for consoles and basically everything. The reason I do this is basically, I hate resellers. They try to buy up entire inventories taking away from gamers and people who can't normally afford certain items. They are scavengers. Some dislike me for my stand on resellers but it is what it is and I'm going to continue to shut them down.

At the Target I work for, I encounter resellers on a frequent basis. iPads are the biggest thing that they go for. I always limit them to one. This goes for consoles and basically everything. The reason I do this is basically, I hate resellers. They try to buy up entire inventories taking away from gamers and people who can't normally afford certain items. They are scavengers. Some dislike me for my stand on resellers but it is what it is and I'm going to continue to shut them down.
At the target i work for i limit them to 2 ipads per person but then the LOD comes over and tells me to sell them all of them to the guy because they want to make sales on certain days. Depending on the sale, i limit them to one console because they come in on sunday morning expecting to buy up the whole inventory before anyone gets anything, and then i get bitched at by guests for not having items in stock. I dont care if they resell stuff, but just dont try to buy up the entire inventory on the first day of the sale leaving nothing for anyone else.

Are you a manager or just an electronics team member?

I should have also been more clear, I am talking about authorized resellers, not just typical slickdeal hoarders/resellers trying to make money on craigslist. You have to type in their name, address, tax information, etc. when you ring them up apparently, and it's ultimately up to the store manager how many items they can buy.

When I saw him buying stuff in Electronics he bought 2 of each console that was in stock, none of the discontinued ones from this sale obviously. But he had cleared out all of the discontinued consoles months ago at this store, and travels up and down the state as his occupation. So it's kind of obvious why many stores were out of stock to begin with. Probably just doesn't travel to the boony stores out in the middle of Bumblef***, CA.

Not trying to change your view or stance on it but just offering some insight. I resell. That's how I pay for school, bills, etc. It's now my job and I make more doing it than I did working any of my other jobs. One of the main reasons I stopped working actually.

Besides your views, I can only say what I do. I buy products from deals. I put in the hours to run around town going to parts of town I've never been to. I take the time to learn all the stores policies (price match, return, limits, etc). I stack multiple promotions to get the price I want. I do my own taxes as a sole proprietorship and though people may think I just "resell", this is a business to me. Most of the time, I know other people wouldn't put in nearly as much time as I (and most people on CAG do) when it comes to getting the price we want. This doesn't just go for reselling, but games, electronics, school books, etc. that I want / need.

The way I see it, people are paying me for my time and knowledge on the products I sell. No way is your average person going to research deals like we (CAG and any other deal site) to get the price we get even if they wanted to. When I say pay, I mean less than what any store would offer them. When I get a game for $20 (after time and research) and sell it for $45, the buyer is still saving $15+ less than any store. Yes, they could have gotten it for $20, but they wouldn't be buying it from me for $45 if they knew how to. I always make sure to charge less than any store too.

At the target i work for i limit them to 2 ipads per person but then the LOD comes over and tells me to sell them all of them to the guy because they want to make sales on certain days. Depending on the sale, i limit them to one console because they come in on sunday morning expecting to buy up the whole inventory before anyone gets anything, and then i get bitched at by guests for not having items in stock. I dont care if they resell stuff, but just dont try to buy up the entire inventory on the first day of the sale leaving nothing for anyone else.
I agree. Buying out an entire store is a bit much. At least leave something for the next guy.

I should have also been more clear, I am talking about authorized resellers, not just typical slickdeal hoarders/resellers trying to make money on craigslist. You have to type in their name, address, tax information, etc. when you ring them up apparently, and it's ultimately up to the store manager how many items they can buy.
That's a bit odd. Probably selling his stuff overseas but to buy products at MSRP and than sell overseas with taxes, travel, shipping, etc.

Probably selling locally and only making a tiny amount unless he sells on the edge of Hong Kong or something.

Not trying to change your view or stance on it but just offering some insight. I resell. That's how I pay for school, bills, etc. It's now my job and I make more doing it than I did working any of my other jobs. One of the main reasons I stopped working actually.

Besides your views, I can only say what I do. I buy products from deals. I put in the hours to run around town going to parts of town I've never been to. I take the time to learn all the stores policies (price match, return, limits, etc). I stack multiple promotions to get the price I want. I do my own taxes as a sole proprietorship and though people may think I just "resell", this is a business to me. Most of the time, I know other people wouldn't put in nearly as much time as I (and most people on CAG do) when it comes to getting the price we want. This doesn't just go for reselling, but games, electronics, school books, etc. that I want / need.

The way I see it, people are paying me for my time and knowledge on the products I sell. No way is your average person going to research deals like we (CAG and any other deal site) to get the price we get even if they wanted to. When I say pay, I mean less than what any store would offer them. When I get a game for $20 (after time and research) and sell it for $45, the buyer is still saving $15+ less than any store. Yes, they could have gotten it for $20, but they wouldn't be buying it from me for $45 if they knew how to. I always make sure to charge less than any store too.

I agree. Buying out an entire store is a bit much. At least leave something for the next guy.
like i said, idc if peope resell but these resellers come in and literally buy hundreds of iads. on black friday they were ringing this guy up for an hour because he bought boxes of ipads lol. he also tries to come in and buy all the wii u's and 3ds's when we have a sale, and since we dont have many of those like we do ipads, i limit them to one. You dont understand the amount of times i heard "why dont you have this the sale just started today" every single sunday when i open.

like i said, idc if peope resell but these resellers come in and literally buy hundreds of iads. on black friday they were ringing this guy up for an hour because he bought boxes of ipads lol. he also tries to come in and buy all the wii u's and 3ds's when we have a sale, and since we dont have many of those like we do ipads, i limit them to one. You dont understand the amount of times i heard "why dont you have this the sale just started today" every single sunday when i open.
Yep, sounds like he is an overseas seller or owns a local business. Which again, I don't like it when people buy out stock but since he's an authorized reseller, it's really no different than him buying bulk from more exclusive means. Only difference is he's probably making more profit waiting for sales than buying bulk at a standardized cost (what every retailer does). Smart, but dude, buying all the iPads, crazy.

You say every Sunday? But there can't be a good enough deal every week that would net him a reasonable amount. Sounds like he is taking any piece of profit no matter how small.

he is definitely an authorized reseller because he has his tax exempt. He has all kinds of target pharmacy 5% of off coupons and tries to make me  scan a picture of someones discount card on his phone. I can get fired for doing that and so can the person whose discount that is, but that guy doesnt care, as long as he gets his ipads. 

he is definitely an authorized reseller because he has his tax exempt. He has all kinds of target pharmacy 5% of off coupons and tries to make me scan a picture of someones discount card on his phone. I can get fired for doing that and so can the person whose discount that is, but that guy doesnt care, as long as he gets his ipads.
Is there a way to find out whose discount card it is and report that to corporate?

That's a bit odd. Probably selling his stuff overseas but to buy products at MSRP and than sell overseas with taxes, travel, shipping, etc.

Probably selling locally and only making a tiny amount unless he sells on the edge of Hong Kong or something.
Damn what type of jobs did you have that dont pay as reselling stuff from CAG and SD

Yeah, just from the other resellers I know, he does not sound like the norm. All the people I know that resell are doing it to make a living and would not jeopardize someone's job or have some shady means of doing so. To resellers this is a job / career and is treated in a professional manner. Showing someone's discount card on your phone is just... stupid.

Damn what type of jobs did you have that dont pay as reselling stuff from CAG and SD
Mind you, since I started working I've been in school and never worked full time b/c of it. My other jobs were just minimum wage jobs with roughly 20 - 30 hours a week. As soon as I got into my university, school time needed to take precedent over my job due to time.

But I make enough to pay all my bills, tuition, housing, etc. and have plenty left over for everything in between. Know that most resellers (that I know of) make over $100k profit a year. But those people have the upwards cost to afford the quantity. That and it's their full time job so they can dedicate time to it.

I know it's easy to look down on resellers but it's a business to most. They do their taxes, have a business license, own storage units and operate just as any other small business. If you told me that a year ago I'd call BS, but that's exactly what I'm doing now.

Is there a way to find out whose discount card it is and report that to corporate?
no, because he just has a picture of the barcode. Our AP can find out if we scan it and go through with the purchase, then they can look up the persons whose discount it is but im not scanning it

Is it a Target employee discount card or something else? idk, that sounds really serious. You're smart to not even attempt to scan it. I know places like Target would be quick to fire an employee for that.

Is it a Target employee discount card or something else? idk, that sounds really serious. You're smart to not even attempt to scan it. I know places like Target would be quick to fire an employee for that.
it was an employee discount card because i scanned it thinking it was a coupon but it showed as team member discount on the screen, so i voided it.

no, because he just has a picture of the barcode. Our AP can find out if we scan it and go through with the purchase, then they can look up the persons whose discount it is but im not scanning it
Get permission from your manager to scan it then post void the transaction?

I'm just a team member but I shut these resellers down. I'll be damn if I allow a reseller to buy up an inventory so they can profit while gamers lose out on good deals. I've had those resellers that come on with a employee discount card picture on their phone and a tax free paper also on their phone. I laugh right in their face. And refuse to scan or type any of their info in. The LODs have my back because they know I have the best interest of the actual guests in mind. It may seem that I'm too dedicated to Target but I'm more dedicated to gamers and people who want to get these items for themselves or children.

I'm just a team member but I shut these resellers down. I'll be damn if I allow a reseller to buy up an inventory so they can profit while gamers lose out on good deals. I've had those resellers that come on with a employee discount card picture on their phone and a tax free paper also on their phone. I laugh right in their face. And refuse to scan or type any of their info in. The LODs have my back because they know I have the best interest of the actual guests in mind. It may seem that I'm too dedicated to Target but I'm more dedicated to gamers and people who want to get these items for themselves or children.
But what if Kim Jong Un can't get an Xbox One because you shut down his supplier?! :p

I thought Target has a store policy where you are limit to 3 purchases of the same item?

Until someone asks you to show them the Target policy that states they can only buy 1

Man these posts are making relive some of my worst days at GS and EB then turned GS store. We have ppl come in and try to buy the stock room at times to re-sell when XB360, WII and PS3 hit. 

Man these posts are making relive some of my worst days at GS and EB then turned GS store. We have ppl come in and try to buy the stock room at times to re-sell when XB360, WII and PS3 hit.
When I use to work at Gamestop (oh the memories of low pay), we had a guy come in whenever we'd get shipments of new Skylanders and he'd buy out stock. We end up limiting him b/c of it. He was a cool guy though. We knew he'd resell them but he also donated some to customers in the store whenever he could.

When I hit the resell scene as a rookie, I would try to do what most would do and get as much valuable inventory as they could, but obviously that is unfair, now I at least pick one or two (if available) to spread the fairness around

Back to Target clearance, Holiday / seasonal clearance hit 90% off at the two stores I hit this morning. Got a bunch of the Lego Friends polybags for 45 cents each ish.

Are the Xbox 360 COD bundles still on clearance? I just noticed my local Target just got stock on them.
Nope, that was a temporary price reduction / sale of 50% off.

Mind you, since I started working I've been in school and never worked full time b/c of it. My other jobs were just minimum wage jobs with roughly 20 - 30 hours a week. As soon as I got into my university, school time needed to take precedent over my job due to time.

But I make enough to pay all my bills, tuition, housing, etc. and have plenty left over for everything in between. Know that most resellers (that I know of) make over $100k profit a year. But those people have the upwards cost to afford the quantity. That and it's their full time job so they can dedicate time to it.

I know it's easy to look down on resellers but it's a business to most. They do their taxes, have a business license, own storage units and operate just as any other small business. If you told me that a year ago I'd call BS, but that's exactly what I'm doing now.
can I be your apprentice? teach me the trade :grouphug:

Back to Target clearance, Holiday / seasonal clearance hit 90% off at the two stores I hit this morning. Got a bunch of the Lego Friends polybags for 45 cents each ish.

Nope, that was a temporary price reduction / sale of 50% off.
Food stuffs is up to 70% off

I think my Target is the worst for clearance. I went in Saturday, and they had again expanded the clearance area to fill a full end cap. Almost every item was a Hello Kitty thing of some kind. Dozens of Hello Kitty items, so dumb.

Yeah, just from the other resellers I know, he does not sound like the norm. All the people I know that resell are doing it to make a living and would not jeopardize someone's job or have some shady means of doing so. To resellers this is a job / career and is treated in a professional manner. Showing someone's discount card on your phone is just... stupid.

Damn, you make six figures flipping?? It's not that feel ill towards resellers it's just that here in California it is bad, I remember I went to a goodwill to check what they had and there was like 6 or 7 people waiting by the door that brings stuff out every time or so and it's like they are vultures

Damn, you make six figures flipping?? It's not that feel ill towards resellers it's just that here in California it is bad, I remember I went to a goodwill to check what they had and there was like 6 or 7 people waiting by the door that brings stuff out every time or so and it's like they are vultures
And here I thought Phoenix was the capital of El Horado...I almost never find anything interesting around this neck of the woods.

No no, the people I know who do it do. Not all, but a good amount. Mind you, its their business at this point. They tend to buy bulk most of the time now.

I make only 5 figures since its part time for me. That and school takes up just as much of my time.

But I completely understand. Buying out stock the day the store opens is a bit much but its a dog eat dog world. To most this is their living (certainly is for me). I know that if someone misses out on a deal, that could be their bills for the month. I may not like buying out stock but if some guy needs to do so to keep his power on, than let the little boy cry for not getting an Xbox One on his birthday.

I think my Target is the worst for clearance. I went in Saturday, and they had again expanded the clearance area to fill a full end cap. Almost every item was a Hello Kitty thing of some kind. Dozens of Hello Kitty items, so dumb.
Are you by chance in The Woodlands? Ours had a stack of Hello Kitty I don't know what's all around the clearance end cap.

Got Splinter Cell Blacklist for 360 for $5.98 in Mt Juliet, TN today. Was still in the case and unmarked. They had several left if anyone is interested.

I do not believe it is possible to make 6 figures profit by being a reseller of clearance/sale items at retail stores.  If you are referring to people who buy bulk products from wholesalers or liquidators, then sell that for profit, that is not the type of reseller most people on CAG are referring to.  They probably wouldn't even be called resellers, just "business owners".

I do not believe it is possible to make 6 figures profit by being a reseller of clearance/sale items at retail stores. If you are referring to people who buy bulk products from wholesalers or liquidators, then sell that for profit, that is not the type of reseller most people on CAG are referring to. They probably wouldn't even be called resellers, just "business owners".
Six figure revenue is definitely possible, net profit probably not.

Target was dry as hell today. Did buy :ps3: R&C FFA for $10 since it was on sale so I didn't leave empty handed. My stores clearances are never good anymore. :(

Probably the hoardiest of the hoarders could ever pull off six-figure net income. The person would probably need a team of hoarders too to make that happen. So which one of you is the Master Buyer again?

Wow, you really didn't want to leave without buying something if that's the best you could find.
I never played it so eh but yea I wanted something. I hoarded all of the French Toast Crunch cereal and what was left of the Sugar Cookie Crunch cereal though, I intended to do that anyways.

I do not believe it is possible to make 6 figures profit by being a reseller of clearance/sale items at retail stores. If you are referring to people who buy bulk products from wholesalers or liquidators, then sell that for profit, that is not the type of reseller most people on CAG are referring to. They probably wouldn't even be called resellers, just "business owners".
Its a mixture of both. Why buy bulk at a standarized price when the local shop is selling products this week for half off what your supplier is.

And it is more total revenue, but still double profit from what they put in. I made double what I put in but I dont do it as much though its now my business. And it is definitely possible if it is your full time job, you have the upward cost, and can buy in high quantity.

Puente Hills Target:
:360: Hitman Absolution $5.98
:360: Final Fantasy XIII-2 $5.98

Baldwin Park Target:
:wii: Lego The Lord of the Rings $5.98
Power A USB 2.0 Charging Cable for :ps4: + :vita: $7.01

Picked up Mega Bloks Halo Last Man Standing Zombie Pack for $4.48 and a couple of 2 Disc Christmas CDs for $0.99.

Puente Hills Target:
:360: Hitman Absolution $5.98
:360: Final Fantasy XIII-2 $5.98

Baldwin Park Target:
:wii: Lego The Lord of the Rings $5.98
Power A USB 2.0 Charging Cable for :ps4: + :vita: $7.01

Picked up Mega Bloks Halo Last Man Standing Zombie Pack for $4.48 and a couple of 2 Disc Christmas CDs for $0.99.
Wouldn't mind FF XII-2 for that price. I'll have to keep a look out. Thanks Sky.

Only thing of interest I saw yesterday were 95 cent bags of mint M&Ms, at 70% off.  The general holiday section was at 90% off, but it was bare-bones, absolutely nothing of real interest.  A few packages of bows and ribbons, and some Hanukkah stickers and tiny Menorahs.  That was it.

bread's done
Back