Target Clearance Thread XXII

also saw like at least 6 Switch at that Target, is no one wants it anymore?

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
honestly not many people think of target when it comes to systems. i put out atleast 2 switches every truck day and they usually sit there till mid afternoon. and i always get the " i didn't think target received switches." lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you haven't been paying very close attention to retail or industry trends, nor developer and publisher statements.

These types of posts, this format, are getting so dumb. They amount to nothing more than a thinly veiled admittance of "I haven't bought a Switch yet".
What an incredibly narrow-minded post. So by your approach, everyone who believes the Switch's prognosis is less than stellar must actually be people who want one.

Uh, no. I'm a Wii U owner (and a NES, SNES, GBA SP, 3DS, GCN, Wii owner) but the Wii U left a very sour taste in my mouth - the one where it became painfully clearer that Nintendo couldn't get 3rd parties in the ship, and not even 3rd party exclusives built uniquely for the system. I'm not saying the Nintendo-only ecosystem isn't necessarily worth having - but the problem is the number of players who are willing to go that route is getting smaller.

And just because you can't find a Switch does not mean the system is a runaway success. People who abandoned Nintendo on the last few gens seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that this same paucity of consoles is not a new story. Nintendo is infamous for stringing along supply to retailers to often give the appearance its products are in higher demand than they are.

The Switch is going to sell well this year because there are at least 10-13m diehard Nintendo enthusiasts. Hey, I bought a Wii U - I have 30 games on that system. I like Nintendo games, but even I have serious doubts when Nintendo makes comments like, "Oh, Switch will be like the Wii sales all over again." That's either marketing speak or hyper-delusion.

Once Nintendo gets 10m of these consoles out at retail and the "honeymoon" period ends (i.e. the loyalists pick one up), which by the way Nintendo supplies products, probably won't be until at least early next year, then we'll see just how far and well the Switch will sell. By next E3, we'll know. Either developers find the Switch compelling enough to bring a host of games to it, or it becomes home to mainly Nintendo titles, and maybe plays host to some old, already released games (more Payday 2 anyone?). That latter scenario isn't going to bring Switch sales that even come close to Wii numbers, let alone even Xbone numbers.

Good news for gamers is that Switch can probably "succeed" selling 15-25m units. The cap is probably around there, somewhere. We all know Nintendo makes very smart consoles - meaning they don't lose money on those devices. May be officially killing the 3DS will bump the numbers up a little, but given Nintendo seems intent on keeping that around with the advent of the new 2DS, it looks as if even Nintendo isn't entirely convinced the Switch can make the numbers some of its blind fanboys (that's you, Nothing371, congrats) seem to accept without any real consideration of the marketplace.

And remember Nintendo is by a strict definition a third party developer - they make games for mobile devices - even they see to some extent, the writing on the wall.

Oh, and before all the crazy other fanboys come out of the woods, I've never said Nintendo is going out of business. Nintendo is here to stay and I also want them around. All this is to say that eventually Nintendo will very likely have to make a big decision about whether it's worth making console ecosystems for its own games. I would like them to keep doing that. But I suspect at some point their shareholders will make them push more resources to other platforms (mobile).

For now, though, I'm far more interested in the next iteration of the Switch. That one, Nothing371, I would like to buy.

Does Target have a device on clearance that removes sticks from asses?  I wouldn't even begin to know how to search for such a thing.

I'd give it another year. Then you won't be able to give it away. I'm not saying the price will go down, just that anyone who would have wanted it would have gotten it.
Another year? I'd say it's that way now. I believe all the advertising of "omg we have switch in stock!" Is just hype and marketing. They are not limited or hard to find whatsoever.

I watched the Nintendo direct at midnight and preordered immediately. Launch week I canceled it. Oddysey may help it later on in the year.

Another year? I'd say it's that way now. I believe all the advertising of "omg we have switch in stock!" Is just hype and marketing. They are not limited or hard to find whatsoever.

I watched the Nintendo direct at midnight and preordered immediately. Launch week I canceled it. Oddysey may help it later on in the year.
You say help it. Help it do what? Sell out?

You say help it. Help it do what? Sell out?
Make people actually care about it. I've owned every console for the past 25 years. So far the switch is just pointless to me as well as a lot of people I know. At launch it has zero games and still doesn't have any today. Remakes and multi-platform games are not a reason to buy a new console. That's why when I see lists such as "the 10 best switch games!" I roll my eyes since technically it has no games since no physical one is exclusive.

Mario Oddysey does look good. Is it a system seller? Most likely. Yet just like the Wii U, having 1-2 Nintendo games and random third party games throughout the year will not keep it alive.

Make people actually care about it. I've owned every console for the past 25 years. So far the switch is just pointless to me as well as a lot of people I know. At launch it has zero games and still doesn't have any today. Remakes and multi-platform games are not a reason to buy a new console. That's why when I see lists such as "the 10 best switch games!" I roll my eyes since technically it has no games since no physical one is exclusive.

Mario Oddysey does look good. Is it a system seller? Most likely. Yet just like the Wii U, having 1-2 Nintendo games and random third party games throughout the year will not keep it alive.
"Make people care about it"

Nintendo announced it's outselling the Wii by 10%

Does Target have a device on clearance that removes sticks from asses? I wouldn't even begin to know how to search for such a thing.
514AnzRWfAL.jpg

Arms? :rollingeyesintothebackofmyfuckingskull:

You're reaching, bro.

Arms? :rollingeyesintothebackofmyfuckingskull:
You're reaching, bro.
I admit I did forget that released. Isn't that a glorified wii sports or is it actually a full game?

I don't believe I'm reaching. A couple people I know did buy a switch just because they knew down the road there were games they wanted. Yet on the flipside, many are waiting and seeing what comes out first, as I am. I don't trust the quality of the product and so far the lack of games doesn't urge me to buy one.

Wow - you mean Nintendo is telling everyone their Nintendo product is selling awesomely. Then it must be true! :roll:

Even as a guy who once worked in marketing, it's amazing how easily people buy into the hype train.

I admit I did forget that released. Isn't that a glorified wii sports or is it actually a full game?

I don't believe I'm reaching. A couple people I know did buy a switch just because they knew down the road there were games they wanted. Yet on the flipside, many are waiting and seeing what comes out first, as I am. I don't trust the quality of the product and so far the lack of games doesn't urge me to buy one.
Same boat as you. Also agree that as much Odyssey looks cool (and I'm sure it'll be a good game), I'm waiting until Switch 2.0 and until next holidays before I even consider getting one of these. I want to see what the software support actually is at next year's E3. If all we get on this are indie games (available everywhere else) and ports of PS3/360 games (most of which I have), then IMHO, the Switch is headed the same way as Wii U, and this time, I'm happy to wait until Nintendo releases Selects versions of Odyssey and the others. No way am I jumping onboard this time as blindly as I did last time with Wii U.

Loving my PS4 and the quality of Sony's and 3rd party library on that system is just plain stellar.

my biggest gripe with these numbers, is the amount of people who buy the system just to resell it for quick profit. they have no intention to play it, just make a quick $100. this goes for a lot of other things. amiibos', shoes, sporting tickets. , steel books . working retail, i see the same 3 people coming in every truck day to try to pick some up. and take advantage of nintendo and their lack of stock in stores.

Your post reeks of ignorance and opinion. Nintendo is saying it's selling and you're going "NOT UH I KNOW PEOPLE WAITING" which is worthless. If everyone's individual stories were the only yard sticks I'd say it's a runaway success since my coworker bought one for his kid after previously expressing no interest in games and my boss bought one after not having a console since the PS3.

We do know there is a thread entirely devoted to the Nintendo Switch, right?

It seems like your penis contest would be more suited there.

Wow - you mean Nintendo is telling everyone their Nintendo product is selling awesomely. Then it must be true! :roll:

Even as a guy who once worked in marketing, it's amazing how easily people buy into the hype train.

Same boat as you. Also agree that as much Odyssey looks cool (and I'm sure it'll be a good game), I'm waiting until Switch 2.0 and until next holidays before I even consider getting one of these. I want to see what the software support actually is at next year's E3. If all we get on this are indie games (available everywhere else) and ports of PS3/360 games (most of which I have), then IMHO, the Switch is headed the same way as Wii U, and this time, I'm happy to wait until Nintendo releases Selects versions of Odyssey and the others. No way am I jumping onboard this time as blindly as I did last time with Wii U.

Loving my PS4 and the quality of Sony's and 3rd party library on that system is just plain stellar.
In an investor conference, yeaah, the 10% is an actual statistic this didn't go out in an advertisement. Careful with the tinfoil hat, look at the information. The system doesn't stay in stock for in any retailers in NA for more than a day, it regularly sells for +100 retail online, whether or not it has any games, it's obviously selling well and people want it, look at the facts. I'm not a switch fan either, but I at least realize it's selling super well. You don't have to like something to be smart enough to understand that it's true. Gamestop sells out of 1000 + Daily $500 bundles for a system for a system nobody wants? I don't think so, haha.

my biggest gripe with these numbers, is the amount of people who buy the system just to resell it for quick profit. they have no intention to play it, just make a quick $100. this goes for a lot of other things. amiibos', shoes, sporting tickets. , steel books . working retail, i see the same 3 people coming in every truck day to try to pick some up. and take advantage of nintendo and their lack of stock in stores.
No doubt man! The fact of the matter is though that the scalpers can easily turn these for $100 profit, that really shows the demand for the system.

If only there was another place this switch business could be discussed and we could get back to target clearance...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No doubt man! The fact of the matter is though that the scalpers can easily turn these for $100 profit, that really shows the demand for the system.
You are not really looking at the fact that some people will just say screw it and pay the extra because they dont have the time or want to put in all the effort to track one down..

My Target rarely has anything on the clearance shelf anymore....There are about 15 copies of COD Ghosts for 360 there that has been there for 3 weeks

You are not really looking at the fact that some people will just say screw it and pay the extra because they dont have the time or want to put in all the effort to track one down..
What does that have to do with the comment you quoted? Lol. Nothing I said disagrees with that statement. People want it bad enough, and want it to the point where they're not willing to wait/search for it and would rather pay $100+ extra. I agree with ya, why would you think otherwise?

I think you quoted the wrong person.

Technically it does have exclusive physical releases. Arms, Super Bomberman-R, 1-2 Switch (sigh), and Ultra Street Fighter 2 Final Challengers (if you want to count that). I'm not saying they are killer releases but your statement is not correct. I personally know several people that have purchased the Switch (who did not have a Wii-U) and picked up Zelda BOTW. Discounting that game, while technically accurate, is a travesty.

I hate to go off topic in a group that was obviously created to fight over the Nintendo Switch. He said, sarcastically. But, the annual Target Toy Clearance started today. My local Target had a whole aisle filled with clearance toys marked anywhere from 50%-70% off.

The Target toy clearance started at least 2 weeks ago, but the discounts have been rather stingy, and a lot of it still seemed overpriced even at 50% off. I keep checking back every weekend waiting for the next drop. Two closest stores have so much clearance overstock, the end caps and back aisles are overflowing with toys. Hopefully it sticks around long enough to hit major discounts before going to salvage. Wanted to get some things for my daughter. 

I hate to go off topic in a group that was obviously created to fight over the Nintendo Switch. He said, sarcastically. But, the annual Target Toy Clearance started today. My local Target had a whole aisle filled with clearance toys marked anywhere from 50%-70% off.
Lego included?

Started on a Monday? Aren't toys usually Thursday?

The Target Toy Clearance always starts the second week of July. It's Targets way of clearing out old toys so that they have room for all of the new Holiday toys that they will be getting, and I did see some LEGO stuff. But, I'm not a huge LEGO fan, so I didn't really spend a lot of time looking at what they were. It seems like the selection was pretty random. I went to a few different Targets, and they each had different stuff on clearance.

I went back several pages trying to find if this was mentioned already, found GTA V :ps4: for $17.98 (brickseek link). It did not have a clearance sticker, but the price was on a yellow price tag. edit - in case anyone wants the PC version, it is listed for $39.99 (brickseek link). Also the PS4 version doesn't seem to be discounted at many stores, so YMMV. My store still has 5 in stock.

My store had about 6 drive club vr for $12.  PIcked it up for the ps4 I haven't even bought yet.  And about 20 cod... But regarding the switch demand, I think I will finally buy one the next time I find one in stock at target with red card discount.  And this is after already returning one I had at launch. Controller issues must be fixed by now.  So still my demand out there.

Picked up Drive Club VR for $12 and Deus Ex for $9. The also had the Metals Die Cast Green Ranger for $6. That was the last one I needed from the series.

I went back several pages trying to find if this was mentioned already, found GTA V :ps4: for $17.98 (brickseek link). It did not have a clearance sticker, but the price was on a yellow price tag. edit - in case anyone wants the PC version, it is listed for $39.99 (brickseek link). Also the PS4 version doesn't seem to be discounted at many stores, so YMMV. My store still has 5 in stock.
Did you buy it? I assume this would need a manual override?

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

The ones around me started a couple weeks ago actually. Half the Lego sets were already gone.
I saw a couple of "City" or "Town" type Lego sets on clearance at mine but didn't pay much attention to them, didn't see any Superhero or Star Wars stuff out there. I'd usually buy and hold to resell with Lego most of the time but the everyday life type building sets don't seem to do as well as the fictional sets, in my past experience.

There is an entire end cap rack devoted to that magnet set at the store nearby. I will grab one once the employees do price changes.

No stores around me have any of those magnets except one has 249 ?!?!?!   I think target has problems with inventory allocation.

Just a Public Service Announcement: Target's big July toy clearance is tomorrow. They'll clear out toy stock at aggressively discounted clearance prices. Doesn't include video games but does include video game figures and related toys/items.

Just a Public Service Announcement: Target's big July toy clearance is tomorrow. They'll clear out toy stock at aggressively discounted clearance prices. Doesn't include video games but does include video game figures and related toys/items.
[attachment=27379:IMG_0841.PNG]

Oooh, how ymmv is that? I have high hopes they'll finally clear out the Doc Ock Tentacle Trap sets near me.

bread's done
Back