Target credit/debit breach, Black Friday to Dec. 15

I think I have only used my AMEX at Target so I hope I am alright. There have not been any reports of fraud for that card.

My credit card company already called me regarding an attempted unauthorized transaction back around the 9th -- just activated a replacement card a few minutes ago.  Definitely check your statements.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought like... 6 or so 3DS XLs that weekend. I'll still shop at Target in the future, but this sucks for me.

OP, thanks for making the thread. Hope you don't get too much flak for it. I'd not have known about this otherwise. Gotta call 3 different CC companies now and tell them to scramble a new set of cards.

Thanks for knowingly posting in the wrong forum.
Does anyone really go to the other forums? I feel like this post is important enough to be a sticky. We are talking about serious financial issues here. There were probably millions, if not hundreds of millions of transactions during that period and as sad as this is, if it wasn't for this post, I would have no idea about the potential breach. I don't subscribe to a television service provider or check news websites. I owe a big thanks to Metalslugger for posting this. Thanks Metalslugger.

Also, for those of you concerned about Target Red Cards, I would expect that Target will outright send you new cards. Nevertheless, you should be watching your transactions.

Does anyone really go to the other forums? I feel like this post is important enough to be a sticky. We are talking about serious financial issues here. There were probably millions, if not hundreds of millions of transactions during that period and as sad as this is, if it wasn't for this post, I would have no idea about the potential breach. I don't subscribe to a television service provider or check news websites. I owe a big thanks to Metalslugger for posting this. Thanks Metalslugger.
Not cancelling my cards over this. If they have access to "millions" of credit card numbers the odds that mine gets used is gotta be less then a hundredth of a percent.

Cards expire and get reiussed every few years anyways. I'm much more likely to have my wallet stolen (or misplace it) and have someone use my CC that way then from a hacker to pluck my numbers out of a computer.

Besides I get e-mails every single time my card is used. Problem solved.

Thankfully I haven't bought anything from Target since before Black Friday. I still always keep an eye on my transactions regardless of the situation though. 

If they have access to "millions" of credit card numbers the odds that mine gets used is gotta be less then a hundredth of a percent.

Cards expire and get reiussed every few years anyways. I'm much more likely to have my wallet stolen (or misplace it) and have someone use my CC that way then from a hacker to pluck my numbers out of a computer.

Besides I get e-mails every single time my card is used. Problem solved.
Security through obscurity is not real protection. If they eventually go through all 40 million cc's (and with automated routines, why wouldn't they), the odds of them eventually hitting yours are 100%. Credit card numbers may eventually get reissued, but then, that's why there's more data on the card to identify the account than just the card #. That entire set of data wouldn't get reused, so that would provide a unique set of data for an individual's card. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_stripe_card#Financial_cards

Your card, your choice, though. Good that you get emails when the card is used. :)

Security through obscurity is not real protection. If they eventually go through all 40 million cc's (and with automated routines, why wouldn't they), the odds of them eventually hitting yours are 100%. Credit card numbers may eventually get reissued, but then, that's why there's more data on the card to identify the account than just the card #. That entire set of data wouldn't get reused, so that would provide a unique set of data for an individual's card. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_stripe_card#Financial_cards

Your card, your choice, though. Good that you get emails when the card is used. :)
No it's not 100%. You know how many different retailers have had CC information stolen? If it was 100% then every time this happened people would see fraudulent charges against their accounts (if they're affected). Between this PSN and a slew off others (TJ Maxx, IGA, etc.) I have never once had my account information used anywhere.

This is why people shouldn't be using debit cards for purchases.
Except for the Target debit cards. In this case, they provided a layer of protection. It can only be used at Target and doesn't post immediately. You have a day or two to kill any fraudulent transactions.

Now I know why only Target had the 149.99 3DS XL Black Friday deals... it was a set up all along!! :nottalking:

just send me your credit card numbers and pins and i'll double check everything for you guys and make sure everythings on the level
OK, will do. But I'll also PM you my DOB, SSN, mother's maiden name and the make/model of my first car just to make sure you have everything you need. Thanks for looking out bro!

Thanks for posting.  Ignore the "wrong forum" crowd.  Enough people here shopped at target in the last 3 weeks or regularly hit the target clearance racks that it's definitely worth noting on this forum (especially given the huge number of stolen cards).

It seems that they're still working on the investigation, though.  My bank basically asked me to sit tight for now, keep an eye on my statements, and wait (with a promise that any fraudulent charges would be reimbursed) because they haven't gotten the usual information or list of compromised cards yet (at which point they'll apparently take action) and haven't had any reports of fraud on any of their accounts.  Not exactly reassuring, but it is what it is.

The story was sort of broken through insider info last night, so I'm guessing Target's hand got tipped and they were pushed into making a public statement earlier than intended.

the only card we ever use at target is the red card, not sure how that can be used elsewhere
Red Card is as a regular CC. >other than the obvious debit card ones

Only targety thing about it is the discount and design

This is really not something to stress over.   Credit card companies are incredibly good at resolving these sorts of issues nowadays.  They'll be even more so given how high profile this is.

By now they've probably already flagged any card used at target between those dates and will be monitoring for out of state purchases, etc.

If your cards do show fraudulent activity, it'll likely get fixed super fast and easy.  Obviously, it would be better if it didn't happen, but it's highly unlikely anyone will get 'screwed over' or anything.  

Their official notice says that, as a Mass resident, you can file a police report for this incident. Anyone know what sort of benefit that would have to those affected?

Their official notice says that, as a Mass resident, you can file a police report for this incident. Anyone know what sort of benefit that would have to those affected?
I think that's only if you're the victim of identity theft or fraud as a result of the breach.

I think that's only if you're the victim of identity theft or fraud as a result of the breach.
It actually calls out Identify theft separately, which is why I asked. You're right, though, it's probably only if you're negatively affected by it.

I use my Target Redcard every week, and sometimes multiple times a week.

The Target Redcard "Manage my account" site is down, so I cannot even check my transaction history.  Nice.

Are you absolutely serious? Cuz, holy crap, those hax0rz are pretty damn quick.
From what I was told is that in these kind of cases the hackers sell the information on the black market fairly quickly, but whether a persons credit card is compromised or not depends on who gets a hold of that information. I had to file a police report last year twice because I was the victim of identity theft. The first time around my Chase card that I primarily only use at Best Buy and Target was compromised after I noticed a $478 transaction to Forever 21. Chase assured me they would take care of everything and quickly set me up with a new CC. The second time it was a bit more complicated, as someone hacked into my Target.com account and used my billing information but someone else's CC number. The detective that took my report told me that identity thiefs sometimes mix up names and card numbers so if someone notices that their CC has been compromised, it ties back to another person. In this case it would be me. I honestly would have never noticed if I hadn't received an email from Target regarding my $500 digital gift card to Sue, with the gift message of "Thank You!". It really sucks because the police straight up tells you there is nothing they can really do, but opening a police report is essential incase anything comes back to you.

No, it doesn't have any mastercard/visa logo at all. It can only be used at target and is only 10 digits long. I think there was another Target themed regular credit card they used to offer you might be referring to that gave more points for shopping at target, but I think they discontinued it in favor of this one.

REDcard®: Target Debit Card, Target Credit Card, and Target® Visa® Credit Card. Subject to application approval (Target Visa Credit Card not available to new applicants). The REDcard credit cards are issued by TD Bank USA, N.A. The REDcard debit card is issued by Target Corporation. VISA is a registered trademark of VISA USA, Inc. Pat 7,562,048 and 8,117,118.
The newer Target branded credit cards can only be used at Target.

No, it doesn't have any mastercard/visa logo at all. It can only be used at target and is only 10 digits long. I think there was another Target themed regular credit card they used to offer you might be referring to that gave more points for shopping at target, but I think they discontinued it in favor of this one.

The newer Target branded credit cards can only be used at Target.
oo. was not aware of newer cards

I shop at Target constantly, so this is unsettling to say the least. I found out earlier today through my lady, but thank you OP for BREAKING THE LAW OF CAG and sharing the news.

Got a call from my bank today. My debit card was compromised. No unauthorized purchases were made which is good. But now it requires a new card and I can't use my debit until I receive the new one tomorrow.

I just got a message from my bank telling me that they are sending a new card just in case, but the card I have works until it get there.

For anyone worried about "monitoring" and saying "nothing yet, I hope I'm safe" ... Don't be an idiot. Everyone says "nothing has happened yet" ...up until it happens.

Be proactive and just call your bank and reorder a new debit card. You may be without access to your debit card for a few days but ordering a new card ensures that your funds are safe and creates way less hassle for you and your bank going forward should anyone try to use your potentially compromised card.

Just use cash for the next couple days until your new card comes in the mail. Some banks are even able to issue temporary cards.

This message coming to you from a banker.

Thanks op. It hit the news pretty fast but I check here most often. Taking precautionary measures. Good info about the debt vs credit from everyone as well.

This is why you get the Target Red Card Credit Card. I see no suspicious activity on my Target Red Card account.
I have the Target Red Card Debit Card myself. I spent about $50 there two nights ago but think that's all I've spent off the top of my head recently there.

The card really is worth it. If you don't want a credit card get the debit card. Comes straight out of your bank account and you get all the same benefits.

bread's done
Back