Target credit/debit breach, Black Friday to Dec. 15

Should I cancel my Target debit card or just request a new one? Also since it's linked to my bank account does that mean I should cancel/get a new debit card from my bank as well?

Should I cancel my Target debit card or just request a new one? Also since it's linked to my bank account does that mean I should cancel/get a new debit card from my bank as well?
It's up to you. The thieves apparently got the name, credit card number, exp date, and the cvv code from the back. So, from my understanding, as long as the card info they have is canceled/invalid, they shouldn't be able to access your bank account. If you request a new card, they should cancel the old one and give you a new number, so it's really up to your whether you want a new card or not.

If your bank debit card is separate from your Target one and you didn't use it at Target, you should be good. They shouldn't have any of the info from that card as far as I know. I mean, you could err on the side of caution, but the card you used at Target should be the only one you have to worry about and/or cancel/change.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, Krebs On Security (who initially broke the story) just posted a report saying that dumps of the cards from the Target breach are now showing up for sale in underground markets.

krebsonsecurity.com/2013/12/cards-stolen-in-target-breach-flood-underground-markets/

At that news, I, personally, decided to pass on my bank's "Keep an eye on your account and wait it out while we keep track of things" approach and called to ask them to cancel my debit card.

Does anyone really go to the other forums? I feel like this post is important enough to be a sticky. We are talking about serious financial issues here. There were probably millions, if not hundreds of millions of transactions during that period and as sad as this is, if it wasn't for this post, I would have no idea about the potential breach. I don't subscribe to a television service provider or check news websites. I owe a big thanks to Metalslugger for posting this. Thanks Metalslugger.
In that case- why bother having different forums at all? We could just merge all the topics together and let people sort them out on their own.

Or a more sensible option would be to post in the news section and not the deals section as the rules clearly show.

It's up to you. The thieves apparently got the name, credit card number, exp date, and the cvv code from the back. So, from my understanding, as long as the card info they have is canceled/invalid, they shouldn't be able to access your bank account. If you request a new card, they should cancel the old one and give you a new number, so it's really up to your whether you want a new card or not.

If your bank debit card is separate from your Target one and you didn't use it at Target, you should be good. They shouldn't have any of the info from that card as far as I know. I mean, you could err on the side of caution, but the card you used at Target should be the only one you have to worry about and/or cancel/change.
Thank you very much. I'm just going to request a new Target debit card.

In that case- why bother having different forums at all? We could just merge all the topics together and let people sort them out on their own.

Or a more sensible option would be to post in the news section and not the deals section as the rules clearly show.
You're implying that this is a slippery-slope situation. We bother to have different forums for obvious reasons, but this thread certainly seems to be an allowable exception.

Most people only go to the Deals section of this site, and never touch News. I'm one of them. We'd never have known of this relevant issue without this thread popping up.

Hell, plenty of people who go only to Deals will bitch and argue about whether something is a bargain or not. You think they'll ever bother to also wade through News?

No one is suggesting that we merge all forums. This is considered a one-time exception. We're not advocating massive chaos and dickwolves.

And honestly? It's one damned thread in Deals. Get over it. Aren't there full-priced CE pre-order threads you can go bug? Or someone posting a massive Target clearance item and not putting "YMMV" in the title? Of all the crap that we already have in Deals, this is what sets you off?

I guess I shouldn't ruin it for him that it excludes all video games...
Word about this has now hit the Mario & Luigi Dream Team 3DS XL bundle thread. It looks like more than a few of us will be doing return/rebuys. If it's like the 20% BF coupon, we'll be able to apply the discount to consoles so long as they're not Xbones or PS4s.

It'd have been awesome if VGs were included. Oh well.

Chase was very quick to alert my girlfriend on the new interim debit card rules while she waits for her new card. I only made one purchase at Target with my Citi Visa card and they haven't said anything about it.

I'm not worried, though.

First world problems yo. Eat a big floppy penis. Amazes me how butthurt you backseat mods get about this stuff, when this is info that helps a lot of CAGs, who used their cards in Deals listed during BF and later. If you don't like an important thread involving the finances of a financial based gaming site, don't read it. It's easy to look through this thread and see the people thanking the OP for this.

Luckily, I don't shop at Target, but if the same happened at amazon or walmart, I would want the same heads up. So thank you OP for your time and consideration.

If you've shopped at Target during the period of itme. I highly recommend you cancel your card and get a new one-- it never hurts to be safe. The sheer amount of stores and cards that have been compromised is sheerly astonishing. The cards are being shopped on the black market as we speak... only a matter of time before the waves of fraud start hitting.

Chase bank told me they have a list of the stolen credit card numbers. Ask your bank, too, because maybe they have the list and can tell you if yours is on the list or not.

My bank sent letters to those who were affected recommending that we get new cards. I was personally hit by the thieves and had no problem getting the money replaced. Of course, I bank with a local CU, but I would think the same would apply for larger banks as well.

Wow, so now they're confirming that there was a 2nd hack around the same time as the first.   So now instead of 40 million, there's potentially a total 110 million cards effected(if the 40/70 million don't overlap).  All this is going to do is make people further wary to shop at Target or use their debit/credit cards.

I do wonder if that "110 million" number is inflated from both people who have multiple cards they used during the period and/or people who have multiple transactions on the same card during the period. Still regardless this is going to hurt Target's business for quite sometime. I know I haven't stepped one foot inside Target since this broke out to the public and probably won't either for a good long while as well.

Wow, so now they're confirming that there was a 2nd hack around the same time as the first. So now instead of 40 million, there's potentially a total 110 million cards effected(if the 40/70 million don't overlap). All this is going to do is make people further wary to shop at Target or use their debit/credit cards.
From what I've read, the new 70 million doesn't involve cards or a second hack. They just determined that the hackers got access to their customer database (separate from the credit card info), so 70 million people who had their names/addresses/e-mails/phone numbers (or, in most cases, any partial combination of those) in Target's customer database may have had their contact data stolen.

bread's done
Back