Target has PS3 Kiosks up (YMMV)

-Never4ever-

CAGiversary!
Feedback
107 (100%)
Heard it from another co-worker last night when I was working. I was going to head over there after work with some other co-workers, but I was tired and really didn't want to play PS3.

Now the awesomely HUGE news was that they were setting a Wii kiosk for today. THAT I'm totally stoked for ;)

Anyone know if MotorStorm will be one of the PS3 demo titles? To me, it's one of the most impressive looking launch titles for the system, and I'm excited to play it. But yeah, the Wii definitely more excited to try. Just to see how it actually "feels" in action.

[quote name='bstan21']Seems like stores have NBA 07 and Motorstorm to play.[/quote]

Yep, it seems that way. I just got back from my local Target and they had a PS3 demo unit running. The menus don't appear to be locked down or anything. When I first walked up to it, it was playing a video, but I was able to use the XMB to scroll through pretty much all of the menus.

I played Motorstorm and it was pretty cool, but the action seemed a little slow. The graphics were very nice (it was running at 720p btw) but the setup of the kiosk isn't the best. You are way too close to the screen when you are playing the game (the 360 kiosk has the same issue) so when I was around a lot of action, it seemed like the game was "shimmering" pretty badly. I think it was a combination of the frame rate dropping, the LCD not refreshing fast enough and me being too damn close to the screen, but the effect actually hurt my eyes.

After getting separated from the pack (after falling off a cliff), things seemed much smoother and I was able to enjoy the scenery. Using the motion sensing in the Sixaxis was not turned on, but you can turn it on if you pause the game. Motion control really sucked because the controller is obviously tethered to the kiosk and it makes it really hard to move.

The Sixaxis is light, but I don't think you get the real feel of it since it is tethered down. I can imagine it feels even lighter in real world play. Other than the weight, the controller itself felt like a Dual Shock, no big surprise there, but the redesigned R2 and L2 buttons took some getting used to. They are not really buttons anymore, they are more like triggers. They seem to be designed around racing games in particular (in Motorstorm they were the gas and brake).

So it was cool to be able to play it, but Motorstorm and NBA 07 aren't really my type of game. BTW, it is amazing to see how damn big the PS3 is in person. Holy crap it is a beast.

Pic from my crappy work phone:

Photo_110706_002.jpg

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Heard it from another co-worker last night when I was working. I was going to head over there after work with some other co-workers, but I was tired and really didn't want to play PS3.

Now the awesomely HUGE news was that they were setting a Wii kiosk for today. THAT I'm totally stoked for ;)[/quote]

I called Target in Lex Park, MD. They said that they have the PS3 up, but only had two games. I think one of them is the Excite Truck game, but I don't remember the other one.

I played the kiosk at my local best buy. I must say I am not impressed. The controller felt very cheap, the graphics were far from amazing, and it froze on me.

[quote name='Qacer']I called Target in Lex Park, MD. They said that they have the PS3 up, but only had two games. I think one of them is the Excite Truck game, but I don't remember the other one.[/quote]

LOL you know a lot between wii games and ps3. THE PS3 game is Motor Storm thats a badass game the wii game is excite truck that game blows. I have played both :D

We got the PS3 demo unit set up at my Target now. I can't believe how friggin HUGE the PS3 is! Puts Xbox to shame.

[quote name='panasonic']LOL you know a lot between wii games and ps3. THE PS3 game is Motor Storm thats a badass game the wii game is excite truck that game blows. I have played both :D[/QUOTE]

Well I haven't played Motorstorm, I can say Exitetruck was fucking awesome. You probably didn't give it a chance. It might seem confusing and hard to control, but after some playing around you should be able to get the hang of it.

My local Target had the kiosk up,but not turned on. The *Not well informed* employees behind the counter said that they weren't allowed to have it on until after the 17th. *Idiots!* I said that, that made no kind of sense at all. But, I didn't really feel like starting anything.

Went to my local SonyStyle store and enjoyed some nice alone time with their PS3 Demo unit.

I went and played it at my Target in Mishawaka, IN. I really wasnt a fan. Motorstorm seemed to not be much fun, and the framerate dropped quite a bit. Overall, not impressed.

Played it yesterday.
NBA game - looked very close to the 360 stuff ive seen...if not worse.
Motorstorm - Cars looked nice, draw distance was nice (when they werent hiding with track turns) but the frame rate sucked and it wasnt actually fun.

L2 and R2 buttons - better feeling when your actually playing a game, but it still feels "off" overall.

They really should have had Tony Hawk P8 as demo...only game that ever felt home on a PS pad IMO.

[quote name='lebowsky']Yep, it seems that way. I just got back from my local Target and they had a PS3 demo unit running. The menus don't appear to be locked down or anything. When I first walked up to it, it was playing a video, but I was able to use the XMB to scroll through pretty much all of the menus.

I played Motorstorm and it was pretty cool, but the action seemed a little slow. The graphics were very nice (it was running at 720p btw) but the setup of the kiosk isn't the best. You are way too close to the screen when you are playing the game (the 360 kiosk has the same issue) so when I was around a lot of action, it seemed like the game was "shimmering" pretty badly. I think it was a combination of the frame rate dropping, the LCD not refreshing fast enough and me being too damn close to the screen, but the effect actually hurt my eyes.

After getting separated from the pack (after falling off a cliff), things seemed much smoother and I was able to enjoy the scenery. Using the motion sensing in the Sixaxis was not turned on, but you can turn it on if you pause the game. Motion control really sucked because the controller is obviously tethered to the kiosk and it makes it really hard to move.

The Sixaxis is light, but I don't think you get the real feel of it since it is tethered down. I can imagine it feels even lighter in real world play. Other than the weight, the controller itself felt like a Dual Shock, no big surprise there, but the redesigned R2 and L2 buttons took some getting used to. They are not really buttons anymore, they are more like triggers. They seem to be designed around racing games in particular (in Motorstorm they were the gas and brake).

So it was cool to be able to play it, but Motorstorm and NBA 07 aren't really my type of game. BTW, it is amazing to see how damn big the PS3 is in person. Holy crap it is a beast.

Pic from my crappy work phone:

Photo_110706_002.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Those are pretty much my sentiments exactly. It's set up at the Target on Lawndale in Greensboro, NC.

It was pretty, the driver models moving independently was cool, the parts flying off the car during wrecks were cool and the damage the cars took looked nice but I was way too close to the screen, it was slow and overall I wasn't really impressed. It's kinds sad actually. Good luck to those of you hunting one down. I'll be waiting on a AAA title, price drop and playing the Wii in the meantime.
-G

Went to my target today and they had the ps3 up and running. Place was empty so I got to play motorstorm, about 4 minutes into playing the game the game just went blank.....

Played it at my Target today. Got to try out the six axis motion control option on motorstorm. A bit too sensitive, but cool nonetheless. No problems freezing up on me, but the frame drops made me raise my eyebrows. Also, that icon bar thing they use doesn't grab anyones attention. They should have some demo movies running until you hit a button or something. I thought it was broked when I approached it. The wii demo looked 900 times cooler and had a milfy lookin woman teach me about the controller, wiiconnect 24 and some games. No wiimote for gameplay though.

[quote name='aw004g']Played it at my Target today. Got to try out the six axis motion control option on motorstorm. A bit too sensitive, but cool nonetheless. No problems freezing up on me, but the frame drops made me raise my eyebrows. Also, that icon bar thing they use doesn't grab anyones attention. They should have some demo movies running until you hit a button or something. I thought it was broked when I approached it. The wii demo looked 900 times cooler and had a milfy lookin woman teach me about the controller, wiiconnect 24 and some games. No wiimote for gameplay though.[/QUOTE]

Now, see, it is just a matter of what state (ie, condition) it is left in. When I tried the Wii demo today at an EB, it was just sitting at an end of race screen and I had to click through to start up a new race. I wasn't even aware all the Wii channel menus were available till I came back here and read stuff about it on CAG (I had heard the demo units didn't have that stuff previously so I didn't try). Meanwhile, the PS3 at Target was running demo videos when I saw it. I hadn't seen this thread and was utterly shocked to see an actual PS3 while simply browsing for clearance games. I was even more shocked when I realized it was hooked up to a screen! I just assumed that was the PS2 demo as it was in the same place the PS2 used to be - and the controller looks just like the dual shock. I even thought it was still using the old controller until I noticed the different L2/R2 buttons. I had to navigate back from the demo video to the main toolbar and then to the demo games. But since it is just like the PSP that was pretty easy to figure out.

Motor Storm was absolutely gorgeous and I didn't really notice the frame rate issues. Part of that might have been because I had to stand so damn close though :D. Or maybe it is because I got behind the pack pretty quickly so was racing by myself most of the time.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']
Now the awesomely HUGE news was that they were setting a Wii kiosk for today. THAT I'm totally stoked for ;)[/quote]

Don't get too stoked, Nintendo in their ultimate wisdom has not provided a way for stores to tether down the remote, therefore, the two stores w/ wii kiosks I've been too just play DVD. Not too exciting.

[quote name='ryanbph']that is cool they are out so early[/QUOTE]

OMG cant stop laughing...since when is 9 days before launch of a system early? This system is a fuckin joke

[quote name='Rimmit']Don't get too stoked, Nintendo in their ultimate wisdom has not provided a way for stores to tether down the remote, therefore, the two stores w/ wii kiosks I've been too just play DVD. Not too exciting.[/QUOTE]

Exactly - I was at TRU before I saw the Wii/PS3 kiosks other places and they said they were doing the "video only" setup there soon (and still didn't have it in yet anyway). Looks like EB/GS is the only place to try the Wii out - but at least they infest every corner of the country, much like Starbucks, so it won't be hard to play test the Wii if you want :D. By the way, the wiimotes are itty bitty - even after everything you hear, they still seem smaller than expected.

The Target in Auburn/Opelika AL had a PS3 kiosk. I was really looking for that Wii DVD, but alas, it was a no go for that.

Played the PS3. NBA 07 looked pretty terrible graphically-- looked like an Xbox game in a higher resolution. Terrible character models. Played fine enough I suppose, though I favored the 2K series more.
Motorstorm had terrible framerate issues as other people mentioned. It's to be expected-- I suspect the PS3 is quite difficult to program for.

Saw system running at the University Target in Charlotte, but didn't get to play it myself. Games looked good, but nothing wow'd me. I didn't notice any framrate drops. Like Others have said, I was shocked at just how big the console actually is.

I played the NBA game at target and Sony just lost $600. I mean it looked sh***! Worse than my xbox and probably worse than the gamecube. I am now changing to a Wiifanboy because the PS3 SUCKS!~

I played the PS3 at Target tonight. Let me preface this post by saying that I have NEVER felt motion sickness from video games before. I've played FPS's since forever and nothing has phased me.

But then I played the PS3. Maybe it was because I was so close to the screen, or maybe the graphics were so good it made me nauseous, but when I played that motorstorm games I almost threw up. The worst part was the first cut scene that went over a desert landscape to my car. My head was spinning. ughhh. I'm getting sick again thinking about it.

[quote name='toastman91']I played the NBA game at target and Sony just lost $600. I mean it looked sh***! Worse than my xbox and probably worse than the gamecube. I am now changing to a Wiifanboy because the PS3 SUCKS!~[/QUOTE]
Yeah, because I'm sure your burger-flipping ass had full intentions of purchasing a PS3.

I wonder if ignorance disappears with acne?

Target at Westgate Mall in San Jose has a PS3 Kiosk.

I watched a guy play some off road game for a few minutes. I can honestly say that while the game looked very pretty it gave me no desire to buy the system. It'll be at least 6 months before I reconsider this purchasing decision.

[quote name='Rimmit']Don't get too stoked, Nintendo in their ultimate wisdom has not provided a way for stores to tether down the remote, therefore, the two stores w/ wii kiosks I've been too just play DVD. Not too exciting.[/QUOTE]

Eh bit late there, as I've been playing it all week long at my EBgames. I forgot I had even made this topic :)

[quote name='munch']I played the PS3 at Target tonight. Let me preface this post by saying that I have NEVER felt motion sickness from video games before. I've played FPS's since forever and nothing has phased me.

But then I played the PS3. Maybe it was because I was so close to the screen, or maybe the graphics were so good it made me nauseous, but when I played that motorstorm games I almost threw up. The worst part was the first cut scene that went over a desert landscape to my car. My head was spinning. ughhh. I'm getting sick again thinking about it.[/quote]

Bad Framerate + Depth of field + weird blurring when turning the car = I know exactly what your talking about.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Bad Framerate + Depth of field + weird blurring when turning the car = I know exactly what your talking about.[/QUOTE]

I think some of that can be attributed to having to stand too close and the bad response time of those cheapy LCD monitors they use for those game kiosks.

I took my kids to my local Target Sunday (after playing one a few days back at another Target) and they had the display and controller set up but it wasn't on. The electronics guy said the Sony rep had to come hook it up some time in the future... Gee, they are running a bit low on time, eh?

Saw and played the PS3 today at Best Buy. The graphics look good, but the game (racing of some sort) was not. I keep forgetting how damn BIG that PS3 is. There must have been 5-10 people crowded around it like it was dispensing crack.

[quote name='io']I think some of that can be attributed to having to stand too close and the bad response time of those cheapy LCD monitors they use for those game kiosks.

I took my kids to my local Target Sunday (after playing one a few days back at another Target) and they had the display and controller set up but it wasn't on. The electronics guy said the Sony rep had to come hook it up some time in the future... Gee, they are running a bit low on time, eh?[/quote]
The Target in Salem had already hooked up the PS3 when I was there on Saturday. I think they were running MotoStorm. I didn't notice any bad response time though.

[quote name='io']I think some of that can be attributed to having to stand too close and the bad response time of those cheapy LCD monitors they use for those game kiosks.

I took my kids to my local Target Sunday (after playing one a few days back at another Target) and they had the display and controller set up but it wasn't on. The electronics guy said the Sony rep had to come hook it up some time in the future... Gee, they are running a bit low on time, eh?[/quote]

I also watched it from afar and frankly its a pretty nice TV. Its just not that well made.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']I also watched it from afar and frankly its a pretty nice TV. Its just not that well made.[/QUOTE]

It was the motion blur I was talking about, specifically - it just seemed like typical LCD screen ghosting to me. But maybe it is the game, I dunno. The resolution of the monitors is great (they are 720p). I had already commented that the game was gorgeous. But I, too, noticed a bit of vomit-inducing blur in the game as someone else noted. I think that was a combination of 2 things - having to stand too damn close (since the controller is tethered) and the ghosting of the LCD monitor. I do agree that the crowd backgrounds were a bit disappointing for this supposed next-gen game. But then again, I think this game isn't coming out till March, so maybe it is still a work in progress.

Well, in any case, with Oblivion delayed I see no need for a PS3 at this time. I'll wait till I can get a bundle at Costco. Hopefully they put a good game or two in there.

I played some basketball game (NBA 2K7??) at target the other day....I was not only unimpressed with the graphics - high def, super crisp, shiny plastic guys? - but also with the quality of the controller. It felt too light and it also looked cheap compared to the dual shock. It really looked like a cheapo 3rd party controller to me. Hrm. I'm excited to try some other games on it but for now i'm going to stick with buying a Wii on launch.

Target removed five rows of games and added an addition to the store to fit the PS3 in it. Color me unimpressed. Not worth the price tag and so far, yes I know they are demos and first releases of games, nothing looks better than what I have on my Xbox 360. I could careless about the launch games and doubt anything will entice me to switch my feelings. I wonder when the thing will melt all the games in the locked up case from all the heat. I wonder if you could cook burgers on the PS3. Internal PSU FTW!

bread's done
Back