Target offering $200 gift card for any iPad which can be used on anything in-store. YMMV.

So can you trade in two iPads and get $400 in gift cards? I have a 16GB original iPad gathering dust and a 16GB iPad 3 I use daily, so I'd definitely be willing to trade both in for a $100 iPad Air.
youd get more for the 3 on CL..

just put it up for 250 for a quick sale.

Just got back from Target... had to wait until 11am for the Target Mobile people to show up. Traded first gen 16gb and third gen 16gb, got $200 for both, totalling $400. Then bought an iPad Air for $479' and after. The gift cards paid $79 for a brand new freaking iPad. Unreal. The guy in front of me got a Target Electronics gift card, no hassle.

Just got back from Target... had to wait until 11am for the Target Mobile people to show up. Traded first gen 16gb and third gen 16gb, got $200 for both, totalling $400. Then bought an iPad Air for $479' and after. The gift cards paid $79 for a brand new freaking iPad. Unreal. The guy in front of me got a Target Electronics gift card, no hassle.
Did you have to pay tax for the ipad with the gift cards?

I just got back from trading my 1st gen iPad.  Got the $200 Target Electronics gift card no issues at all, and didn't have to put down for a new iPad.  

However, the gift card offer when you buy an iPad that is in this week's ad, well my store was only doing the gift cards when you purchase an iPad 2, 3, 4, and 1st gen iPad mini.  Nothing on the new iPad or iPad mini.  So instead of upgrading, I'll just save the $200 for the Xbox 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I has one lying around. $200 is a ridiculous price for a gen 1. Knowing you don't have to upgrade, it'd be foolish not to get $200 for it since it's obsolete.

Also, please, stop, abus,ing commas, for Pete,s sake. You don't have to, use, one for ever,y breath.

#grammarpeeve

Do you need to turn a charger as well?

Also, for you that traded it in, did you wipe it yourself or let them do there?

Supposedly, the wording changed on the deal to where it doesn't mention you must put the credit toward an iPad. Saw it on SD.

Ok. Here:http://www.targettradeinprogram.com

For those of you having issues with some of the reps.

Edit:Didn't link how I wanted. Click the red box to the left that has 'Click to learn more'.

Between November 3rd thru 9th visit your local Target Mobility store and trade in any iPad for at least $200 *. To take advantage of this offer simply follow the below steps:

Step 1: Find your local Target mobility store by clicking here and selecting "Target Mobile" under store services.
Step 2: Your device will be appraised in-store at the mobility kiosk.
Step 3: $200 minimum promotional credit will be issued on a Target Trade-In Gift Card and is redeemable in any Target store.

Thanks to the original poster! I traded in my generation 1 32 GB iPad (they don't need or want the charger/cables/box) at Target for the $200 credit; any Target that sells phones should be able to accept trade-ins. The phone guy was reluctant to give the credit (a prepaid $200 Mastercard) unless I bought a new iPad in the same transaction, but his manager over-rode this, since they didn’t have the model I wanted in stock--YMMV.

In the end, I had to use the prepaid card at the store to buy a Target gift card so that I could order my new iPad from their website, since the site will only accept 1 credit card per transaction.

Thanks to the original poster! I traded in my generation 1 32 GB iPad (they don't need or want the charger/cables/box) at Target for the $200 credit; any Target that sells phones should be able to accept trade-ins. The phone guy was reluctant to give the credit (a prepaid $200 Mastercard) unless I bought a new iPad in the same transaction, but his manager over-rode this, since they didn’t have the model I wanted in stock--YMMV.

In the end, I had to use the prepaid card at the store to buy a Target gift card so that I could order my new iPad from their website, since the site will only accept 1 credit card per transaction.
is it actually a mastercard that can be used at other stores?

Saw it has no mention of MC on the card and the terms on it says only for target

so im conflicted

Do you need to turn a charger as well?

Also, for you that traded it in, did you wipe it yourself or let them do there?
no charger.

i'm sure they do, at some point. but no reason for you not to wipe it yourself.

Tempted to trade in my iPad 1 64 GB WiFi .. if they make you spend it on a new iPad in that transaction it's a deal breaker for me.

Definitely didn't even get a mention of purchasing an iPad with mine. The deal actually came right up when my guy click on iPad trade-in.

My only issue in trading our iPad 1 in is that my 3 year old son absolutely adores it, it's part of his daily routine. I'd likely get him a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7 inch) to replace it for $175 (after tax and employee discount) but I'm not sure he'd take to it since he's so used to how iOS works.

After reading some reviews, it seems the 8 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 is the one to get due to better specs/screen display?

I really want to offload this iPad 1 though while it's fetching $200. No idea what to do. So conflicted.

IMHO.

Stick with iOS.

Andriod is great, am I personally prefer it and use my Galaxy Note all the time. But for my kids and family iOS is better, simple to child proof and hassle free.

Get a iPad Mini and you should be set for a long time.

My only issue in trading our iPad 1 in is that my 3 year old son absolutely adores it, it's part of his daily routine. I'd likely get him a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7 inch) to replace it for $175 (after tax and employee discount) but I'm not sure he'd take to it since he's so used to how iOS works.

After reading some reviews, it seems the 8 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 is the one to get due to better specs/screen display?

I really want to offload this iPad 1 though while it's fetching $200. No idea what to do. So conflicted.

IMHO.

Stick with iOS.

Andriod is great, am I personally prefer it and use my Galaxy Note all the time. But for my kids and family iOS is better, simple to child proof and hassle free.

Get a iPad Mini and you should be set for a long time.
Is the iPad Mini worth spending the $100 to 'upgrade'?

Is the iPad Mini worth spending the $100 to 'upgrade'?
Big improvement over the iPad Gen 1.

I'm actually doing the upgrade from an iPad 32GB Gen 1 to the 16GB iPad Mini for my mom because the Gen 1 has been crashing more and more often. The amount of RAM it has just can't keep up with all the new apps and browsing is difficult if you go to a graphic intensive website.

HydroX. The mini already is a big upgrade over Gen 1, but keep in mind this is for a three year old. I was tempted to trade up my Gen 1 iPad that the kids use, but once I figured it would be $300-$400 more even with the trade I re-thought it. Keep what works for you and your kid.

I was able to trade in my Ipad 1 for $200 giftcard!  They didn't pressure me into buying a new ipad with it, they told me that it can be used for anything in the store.

The new one coming out is.
Ya think? ;)

Big improvement over the iPad Gen 1.

I'm actually doing the upgrade from an iPad 32GB Gen 1 to the 16GB iPad Mini for my mom because the Gen 1 has been crashing more and more often. The amount of RAM it has just can't keep up with all the new apps and browsing is difficult if you go to a graphic intensive website.
Yeah, I noticed ours crashes more often as well. Just outright outdated technology.

HydroX. The mini already is a big upgrade over Gen 1, but keep in mind this is for a three year old. I was tempted to trade up my Gen 1 iPad that the kids use, but once I figured it would be $300-$400 more even with the trade I re-thought it. Keep what works for you and your kid.
Yeah, my fiance and I use it every now and then when we don't want to break out the laptop. Plus she has been talking about getting a tablet anyway, so I figured maybe kill two birds with one stone. She talked about getting the Mini (not the new Retina one), but I wasn't sure if it'd be worth it or not since I'm not familiar with all the Apple revisions.

Anyone know if iPads fall under Target Mobile purchases? I have a 10% off coupon from recently moving and it's pretty much good for everything except gift cards and 'Target mobile' ... I was thinking this would be cell phones and smart phones, but does it mean tablets are restricted too?

There will always be a "new one coming out". Yes the retina mini will be better, but also more $.

The iPad 1 was a bit of a rushed product and not complete, hence why support was abandoned.

The Mini should have many of years of usefulness. The major reason I upgraded from an iPad 1 ( I traded two iPad1's for an iPad 4) was that this is such a smokin hot deal, plus being able to get an up to date iOS and run Plants vs Zombies 2!

If I have only one iPad to trade in, I would go for the mini.

The new one coming out is.

Ok, I can confirm you can get visas giftcards with the electronic trade in card.

Here is what I did.

Took a $100 visa card (could not find the $200 one) and a clearance game. I looked for the youngest looking cashier since they most likely just got hired due to the holidays.

She scanned the visa card and it flashed a screen that said "visa giftcards cannot be paid with a target giftcard" or something. She ignored it and kept going.

Gave her the target giftcard, she swiped it, and I had to sign for it like a credit card. Did so and it went through.

Couple of things.

Could not find the $200 visa giftcard. One posted said he bought one. Could he post the dcpi.

It was a $6 fee to buy the card. They had an american express card as well that only cost $3. You could put whatever you want to on them. If someone goes that route, I would appreciate knowing the process.

Hope that helps people out.

Ok, I can confirm you can get visas giftcards with the electronic trade in card.

Here is what I did.

Took a $100 visa card (could not find the $200 one) and a clearance game. I looked for the youngest looking cashier since they most likely just got hired due to the holidays.

She scanned the visa card and it flashed a screen that said "visa giftcards cannot be paid with a target giftcard" or something. She ignored it and kept going.

Gave her the target giftcard, she swiped it, and I had to sign for it like a credit card. Did so and it went through.

Couple of things.

Could not find the $200 visa giftcard. One posted said he bought one. Could he post the dcpi.

It was a $6 fee to buy the card. They had an american express card as well that only cost $3. You could put whatever you want to on them. If someone goes that route, I would appreciate knowing the process.

Hope that helps people out.
Well played.

I may go this route... The Visa GC is probably YMMV depending on the cashier, but according to this, you can use the card they give you as a Mastercard (which is apparently what it is to begin with). Read this on SD:

For someone wanting to use giftcard online/or other stores:

Go to: www.getmybalance.com and register your card.

The address and cardholder name needs to be the same with the billing address on the website you want to purchase.

After you register, the "Target Electronics Trade In card" will act as a MasterCard. On the back of the card, there is 16 digits considered as the 16 digits on a regular credit card. There is also the "Valid through 11/22" which means MM/YY as a expired date on regular credit card.

Also, there is the 6 digit number at the bottom of the card, the last three digits will be the CVV of the regular card. So, with all that information, you can use the Target trade in card as a regular credit card with $200 value.
Also:

I can confirm to successfully buying myself a $200 dollar amazon gift card by using this Target electronics gift card on amazon.com All you have to do is simply add the card as a payment on your my account settings, and then purchase the amazon.com gift card like you are purchasing a regular item. It then asks you for shipping address etc and then select payment. I chose this card as my payment and placed the order. A $200 amazon birthday gift card for this $200 target card.

@Hydro, if you trade in your 1st gen iPad for the $200 gift card, you can buy 1st gen iPad mini for $100 and get a $25 dollar gift card back, so it really ends up being $75.  I think that's a good deal to upgrade.

I have not kept up on this topic but do they take the ipad mini for the 200 tradein? I can't find ipad 1's anywhere.

Just to clarify.... any ipad includes no charger, cracked screen, doesn't power on, etc.?
They will take any iPad with no cracks. iPad must power on, as they go to the Settings and type in the model number (not the serial) to see if the system will accept it -- this is to avoid accepting fakes, knockoffs, etc.

They only want the iPad. They don't want the box, charger, cases, etc.

Target GiftCards and Target Mobile Gift Cards can be redeemed for merchandise or services (excluding American Express® and Visa® gift cards and prepaid cards) at Target stores in the U.S. or Target.com. Source Target.com and me because I work in management at a Target store
Quick question since you work in management, do you know if iPads fall under 'Target mobile' purchases or are they just under electronics at Target? I have a general 10% off coupon and it has very few exclusions listed.

They will take any iPad with no cracks. iPad must power on, as they go to the Settings and type in the model number (not the serial) to see if the system will accept it -- this is to avoid accepting fakes, knockoffs, etc.

They only want the iPad. They don't want the box, charger, cases, etc.
Yeah, I just checked the Target page and it's definitely not any ipad. Was going to try and find damaged ipads at pawn shops for $50-100.

Actually, you guys might want to double check the terms of the trade ins, someone on SD was posting that the revised terms removed the no cracks line and replaced it with no or very few scratches. Makes a difference

Actually, you guys might want to double check the terms of the trade ins, someone on SD was posting that the revised terms removed the no cracks line and replaced it with no or very few scratches. Makes a difference
So cracked screens are ok now? :D/

but really where is this outline?

Havent followed thread, but does target sell amazon gc, and if so can a target gc be used to purchase them?

If not, going this afternoon to upgrade to ipad mini, if you can will add 200 credit to amazon and buy the wife a chromebook instead.

Havent followed thread, but does target sell amazon gc, and if so can a target gc be used to purchase them?

If not, going this afternoon to upgrade to ipad mini, if you can will add 200 credit to amazon and buy the wife a chromebook instead.
Probably not. There was huge target/amazon blowup some time ago.

Traded in my 1st Gen 32GB iPad for a 16GB iPad Mini earlier today. Was an extremely smooth process. The Target Mobile lady commented that she's processed at least 45 iPads since Sunday. I'm not sure how Nextworth is going to make money off this. I'm thinking they're shipping all of the older iPads out overseas where there is still high demand on premium items even though they're a bit outdated. 

But yeah, this promotion has been great for everyone trying to upgrade their iPads for cheap.

Traded in my old 1st gen 32GB + 3G and now have a new 32 GB iPad air.

Didn't take more than 5 min to complete.

I did this yesterday with my iPad 1 16 GB to geta 16 gGB air instore.policy says they're supposed to apply the gift card to another iPad but some of the employees have been making mistakes and just giving the GC . note some stores can't do thetrade in just call ahead of time to ask

Traded in my old gen1 32gb 3g ipad and got the $200 GC without problems. Thanks OP for this information.

Traded in my 1st Gen 32GB iPad for a 16GB iPad Mini earlier today. Was an extremely smooth process. The Target Mobile lady commented that she's processed at least 45 iPads since Sunday. I'm not sure how Nextworth is going to make money off this. I'm thinking they're shipping all of the older iPads out overseas where there is still high demand on premium items even though they're a bit outdated.

But yeah, this promotion has been great for everyone trying to upgrade their iPads for cheap.
Why not wait for the new ipad mini 2? It comes out mid November and pretty much has the same specs as the new ipad air?

For people swapping out their 1st gen ipads for the air, is it worth it? I've literally never used any iPad newer than the first gen model....

bread's done
Back