Target Witcher 2 (PC) $19.99

I have been waiting for the Steam version to drop under $20. I am hoping that with the release of the console version they will perhaps drop it quite decently for a day or two.

[quote name='Blade3D']Isn't Witcher 2 Steamworks? It would be added to steam anyway...[/QUOTE]

I just got done installing, and it did not involve Steam at all. But I am looking forward to the digital backup on GOG, and I got all the cool physical stuff as well. I was starting to think I had some kind of collectors edition with all the extra stuff it came with.

Belgarath the Ancient One

[quote name='Blade3D']Isn't Witcher 2 Steamworks? It would be added to steam anyway...[/QUOTE]
Only the Russian version activates on Steam.

[quote name='BrolyB593']I have been waiting for the Steam version to drop under $20. I am hoping that with the release of the console version they will perhaps drop it quite decently for a day or two.[/QUOTE]

Steam usually does put games on sale when there is an expansion or a big update. I suspect this game will go on sale next week when the upgrade hits, probably mid week madness. Probably won't go significantly cheaper than this though.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Picked this up a couple days ago. Why does everyone need their games on Steam only? You can add any game to your library.[/QUOTE]

It just helps to keep things organized and make sure you are getting all the updates without hunting them down. Some people like the achievments too.

This is actually one of the games I made an exception for and got outside of Steam then added a shortcut within Steam. This game has a launcher that checks for updates but a lot of games don't have that.

[quote name='Kelegacy']I saw this in Friday night but they were sold out. I would rather have the digital version on Steam though.[/QUOTE]

What's the difference? Sorry I am on my crappy phone otherwise I would look it up myself.

[quote name='Naramie']Stupid question but does this game require that I play the previous Witcher game? Story wise.[/QUOTE]

No, the story is a wholly separate one from the first game. This game does refer to events from the prior game and the novels both in dialog and flashbacks from time to time so you get the basic jist. Also if you want more detail there's a whole in game encylopedia you can optionally read to get info on the various people and places and so forth in the The Witcher world.

On the whole though it's not really something you have to worry about I don't think. Even prior to the first game there's a whole long series of novels, some of which haven't even been translated into to English yet, but the two games are distinct stories from each other and the novels.

[quote name='Naramie']What's the difference? Sorry I am on my crappy phone otherwise I would look it up myself.[/QUOTE]

Mainly achievements. Possibly an easier time with updates since in my experience installing the patches can be a little picky about which version it wants you to update from without being very verbose to actually tell you that.

There's also official Steam icon image and the notifications to your friends that you are playing the Witcher 2 (as opposed to "non-steam game") :p

But mostly it's 99.9% the same game. *shrug*

If i bought witcher 2 on amazon would i still qualify for that free gog copy its activated on witcher site?

@op is witcher 2 for 19.99 in the store cause online i could only find the guide for 19.99 and the game for 29.99

I can confirm it was this price in store. I'm close to buying it, but I have 3 big rpgs on my backlog, not including the 1st game which i own. I'm thinking I could get this game for the same price by the time I get to it.

Bought at this price from
fghefv
my local target.

Just grabbed the last copy from my local Target. Man, it feels so good to buy a physical copy of a game and have it include so many goodies. Well worth $20, even if it makes my PC crumble...

is the xbox enhanced version an upgraded version of the pc version?

if so, is that the big update the pc version will get on steam discussed above so that both the xbox and pc versions are equal?

[quote name='frpilot']is the xbox enhanced version an upgraded version of the pc version?

if so, is that the big update the pc version will get on steam discussed above so that both the xbox and pc versions are equal?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, anyone that owns any version of the PC game gets the update for free.

I've been waiting to play my copy ever since I heard they're releasing this huge patch. I got mine from Amazon and it's a non-steam copy so I guess I can preload this patch?...

I picked it up too. MAN does this game have some brutal combat, though. I died probably 15 times just in the prologue on normal.

[quote name='frpilot']is the xbox enhanced version an upgraded version of the pc version?

if so, is that the big update the pc version will get on steam discussed above so that both the xbox and pc versions are equal?[/QUOTE]

Roughly. The XBox version (I believe) will have all the new game content, and is reputedly one of the best looking 360 games to date. The PC version is being enhanced with the new content as well as getting a huge facelift. The PC version will be far and away the better looking game, but you can't gor wrong with the 360 (as long as it isn't glitchy).

Actually saw this mentioned last week when Fallout 1 was free from GOG.com.

My Target has just the one copy left, 29.99 w/ the temp price cut sticker @ 19.99.

This has got to be far and away the best boxed PC game purchase I've made since I got the Orange Box, if only for physical bonus stuff.

Plus, getting the free digital backup from GOG makes this EVEN sweeter.

Last week it was $20 at my target and I grabbed it, went by yesterday to see if it was still $20 and it was back to $29.99. Did they mess up last week?

I'll have to grab a copy, so long as it's not spider-wrapped like some PC games I've seen. Give me a physical game over a digital download any day.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I picked it up too. MAN does this game have some brutal combat, though. I died probably 15 times just in the prologue on normal.[/QUOTE]

Try it again after Tuesday; all the additions from the XBox version will be given to PC players in a free patch. It's 12 GB and you can pre-install it now. Also try using the 360 controller, it works on the PC version.

Downloading the rest of the patch(its only 300mbs for those who downloaded the pre patch)
Cant wait to play it!!!!

[quote name='Tallkido']Downloading the rest of the patch(its only 300mbs for those who downloaded the pre patch)
Cant wait to play it!!!![/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='pizzaflavoredpudding']Thanks for the heads up![/QUOTE]

np

[quote name='starscream615']Thanks op. I picked this up on Sunday and am looking forward to the update tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
You can update now if you want :)

The update was available since 6pm est (4/16)

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I picked it up too. MAN does this game have some brutal combat, though. I died probably 15 times just in the prologue on normal.[/QUOTE]

once you start leveling up it gets a LOT easier

Yeah this is the time to buy it on PC b/c when it clearances out, it will be replaced with a new boxed PC version for $49.99 that has the EE on the disc instead of a patch. Just saw the new PC version at Wal-Mart.

Thinking about picking this up. Only one thing stops me. My gaming PC doesn't have an optical drive, because they're largely unnecesary. If I pick this up, is it possible to legally download the game somewhere and use the CD keys to get the game working that way? If not, there probably won't be any repercussions for downloading the ISO, but I might as well try to keep it as legal as possible.

[quote name='EeveeFanboy']Thinking about picking this up. Only one thing stops me. My gaming PC doesn't have an optical drive, because they're largely unnecesary. If I pick this up, is it possible to legally download the game somewhere and use the CD keys to get the game working that way? If not, there probably won't be any repercussions for downloading the ISO, but I might as well try to keep it as legal as possible.[/QUOTE]

Free GOG copy with every CDkey.

[quote name='Bosamba']Just a reminder, if you buy this you'll get a DRM free backup copy on GOG.com starting April 17 and as of yesterday can start pre-downloading the 10 GB patch that will be released on the same day.

Find in store http://www.target.com/p/The-Witcher-2-Assassins-of-Kings-PC-Games/-/A-13351382

Pre-download enhanced content upgrade http://www.thewitcher.com/community/entry/178[/QUOTE]Thanks. I was able to get one of the last copies at my local Target for $19.99. It was sitting right next to the new enhanced PC edition boxes labeled as "Version 2.0." I just want to clarify that by downloading the enhanced content upgrade, does that basically make it the "Version 2.0/Xbox 360 game" with all the previously released DLC?

I was just wondering because the "Version 2.0" label listed so many different things that I was tempted to just pick up that copy instead for $10 more. Other than that, the boxes looked exactly alike.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Thanks. I was able to get one of the last copies at my local Target for $19.99. It was sitting right next to the new enhanced PC edition boxes labeled as "Version 2.0." I just want to clarify that by downloading the enhanced content upgrade, does that basically make it the "Version 2.0/Xbox 360 game" with all the previously released DLC?

I was just wondering because the "Version 2.0" label listed so many different things that I was tempted to just pick up that copy instead for $10 more. Other than that, the boxes looked exactly alike.[/QUOTE]

All Witcher 2 PC versions are identical with all DLC and EE content. Either the patcher will get you all the EE content if you install off disc, or you can download the whole thing after registering the key at gog.com

Just FYI, I bought one of the Version 2.0 sticker boxes and that isn't the EE box. The sticker is just a notice of the significant changes made in a previous 2.0 patch. EE content is even better. But like I said, none of this matters, all Witcher 2 PC versions get all the glorious content!

[quote name='rgd2blck']All Witcher 2 PC versions are identical with all DLC and EE content. Either the patcher will get you all the EE content if you install off disc, or you can download the whole thing after registering the key at gog.com

Just FYI, I bought one of the Version 2.0 sticker boxes and that isn't the EE box. The sticker is just a notice of the significant changes made in a previous 2.0 patch. EE content is even better. But like I said, none of this matters, all Witcher 2 PC versions get all the glorious content![/QUOTE]Awesome, thanks for the clarification.

[quote name='amundsjm']Ugh y u no have target here?

Seriously, 2 hour drive would likely kill the price differential for me. :([/QUOTE]

I just won a a brand new copy for $22 on eBay. Just throwing another option out there.

So I had trouble installing The Witcher 2 from the disc because the launcher kept getting errors when trying to download the patches for it. I decided to just register it and download it straight from gog.com. I was just wondering if downloading it straight from them would automatically give me the Enhanced Edition bypassing the need to download the patches separately?

I've tried running the "Version 2.0 autopatcher" listed under bonus content downloads on their website, but it keeps getting errors as well. If anyone has recently downloaded this game from gog.com, any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

[quote name='Ma12kez']So I had trouble installing The Witcher 2 from the disc because the launcher kept getting errors when trying to download the patches for it. I decided to just register it and download it straight from gog.com. I was just wondering if downloading it straight from them would automatically give me the Enhanced Edition bypassing the need to download the patches separately?

I've tried running the "Version 2.0 autopatcher" listed under bonus content downloads on their website, but it keeps getting errors as well. If anyone has recently downloaded this game from gog.com, any insight would be helpful. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The version on Gog.com now should be the EE, yes.

To be honest, I always have issues with their patchers and they never work right for me so I end up having to redownload the whole darned thing which is a pretty sizeable chunk. I wish that would get that patch things straightened out. I know it works for some people but I have never had any luck with them.

Okay I just went to my download section for The Witcher 2 on Gog and it does say that it is the Enhanced Edition when I go to the page where I can re-download the entire game.

Picked up a copy yesterday at my local target (Henrietta, NY). Had about 2 left over on the shelves (all with the 2.0 sticker on it).

Had issues updating to the EE patch today. Ended up just registering my copy on gog.com and downloaded the EE version on there instead.

[quote name='Motoki']The version on Gog.com now should be the EE, yes.

To be honest, I always have issues with their patchers and they never work right for me so I end up having to redownload the whole darned thing which is a pretty sizeable chunk. I wish that would get that patch things straightened out. I know it works for some people but I have never had any luck with them.

Okay I just went to my download section for The Witcher 2 on Gog and it does say that it is the Enhanced Edition when I go to the page where I can re-download the entire game.[/QUOTE]Thanks for quick response. I'm still downloading it from gog.com as I type this so this is good news. The whole patch error issue wasted so much time then.

bread's done
Back