Target [YMMV] Xbox Live 1600 MSP Microsoft Points - $5.06

ElvinWasHere

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Yo guys,

Randomly stumbled upon these at my local Target (Glendale, CA)... Not sure how many there are left and which other stores carry these.  But damn, that's 75% off for the points cards, worth it.

(I haven't activated it yet on my Xbox so I'm not 100% sure they work... but it's only a 5 dollar loss versus a 20 dollar gain, so it's worth the risk)

2013_11_12_12_32_14.jpg

2013_11_12_12_35_02.jpg

What section of your target did you find these? They may be discounting them to make room for the newer cards. I might bus it to over to Target for these. 

Where are these Targets that have amazing games and point cards on clearance located?! The Targets here only have garbage in the clearance sections.

Went to 2 Targets in my area and didn't see any cards yesterday.  Wish they were available in my area.  The Xbox Live Arcade exclusives like Trigger Heart Excellica and Guardian Heroes are still on my want list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make sure they activate them at the register. A while back a local Target had some delisted Mortal Kombat cards for the XBLA so I bought a bunch and it turns out they only activated 1 and I had a bitch of a time returning them.

Wonder if the Target near me has any?

I highly doubt it as I haven't found anything of note on clearance since moving here in June.

But I'd love to find those.  I'd get the WWE2k14 dlc with it : /

As is stickers usually mean it's YMMV, but there's always hope.  I just stopped by a Target on my way home and there were no cards out like this.  Wish there were...

Someone else already mentioned this, but they have to scan the barcode on the card on the back (not the as-is) sticker or it won't activate.  Customer service would probably help you out if need be. 

Until a few people, from all over, find this, this is EXTRA YMMV. When KH:DDD was $10.06, around the time it first came out, that was being found in different areas.

Nice Find.

Do you happen to have the DPCI number from the receipt?

It might help in trying to track some of these down

Been hoping that Target would clearance the old style XBLA cards ever since MS switched to real-world money. But don't remember seeing this style of card in a long time.

That makes no sense. Clearance is still profit. Tossing them does nothing.
Since those cards have to be activated at the register, I can't imagine Target paid anything to get them in the store in the first place.

I could be wrong, but I assume Microsoft just ships those cards to stores like Target but don't collect any money on them until they're activated at the register. Once activated, I'd assume Microsoft gets the bulk of the revenue and Target gets a small percentage for themselves.

Maybe I'm wrong and Target pays for them up front, but I doubt that.

Wow, what a fantastic deal. 75% off of these cards, which is the equivalent of actual money is a crazy deal.

That makes no sense. Clearance is still profit. Tossing them does nothing.

Since those cards have to be activated at the register, I can't imagine Target paid anything to get them in the store in the first place.

I could be wrong, but I assume Microsoft just ships those cards to stores like Target but don't collect any money on them until they're activated at the register. Once activated, I'd assume Microsoft gets the bulk of the revenue and Target gets a small percentage for themselves.

Maybe I'm wrong and Target pays for them up front, but I doubt that.
I'm 95% sure those cards cost Target nothing until they are rung up, at which time Microsoft gets most of the $20 and Target pockets a few dollars.

Just a heads up, went to the Glendale location about an hour ago. No cards anywhere to be seen, checked clearance section, games section, and the front gift card kiosks.

Even though we haven't heard from him my assumption is OP cleaned them all out. Well done, I would have done the same!

looking at the pictures, those are older 1600 msp card versions.  I think the "newer" look is plain white with green icons on it which came out around Kinect?

I went to both of my local stores. One had one peg's worth of the new style 1600 point cards, still at full price. Both had tons of the new dollar-based cards. I checked both electronics and the checklanes.

What's curious is that just a few days ago, I saw a very large number of old-style cards like those pictured in the checklanes at both Targets. So it would seem that Target might be pulling all old point cards and replacing them with the new currency. Some stores, like the OP's one in Glendale, have clearanced them out, while others, like mine, simply pulled them.

I went to both of my local stores. One had one peg's worth of the new style 1600 point cards, still at full price. Both had tons of the new dollar-based cards. I checked both electronics and the checklanes.

What's curious is that just a few days ago, I saw a very large number of old-style cards like those pictured in the checklanes at both Targets. So it would seem that Target might be pulling all old point cards and replacing them with the new currency. Some stores, like the OP's one in Glendale, have clearanced them out, while others, like mine, simply pulled them.
That seems the more logical thing to do.

Its a $20 valued card being sold for $5.06.

Someone loses money in that equation. And it's not the customer. Just not sure if Target or Microsoft takes the loss. All depends on if Microsoft is "giving" Target the cards and maybe Target takes a small cut OR if Target buys them from Microsoft at an agreed upon price like all the other items in store.*

*We know MSRP is based off price of item factoring in production costs and what the retailer gets the item for from the distributer who got it from the manufacturer.

Guessing nobody found the cards except OP.

I stopped by my Target and they have at least 50 of the old style cards hidden throughout the store but all of them ring up for $20.

As-IS you will not find store to store, really that's up to the employee. I have seen AS-IS electronics, games, etc. In my experience, most of the time if you ring up the bar code on the item, it'll ring up the actual price, they need to scan the little sticker for the as-is price, and that's all done manually, not district wide or anything.

My store, still has some old tax software they pulled out the back they put as-is for $25, they put black marker through the UPC on the back.

bread's done
Back