Team Fortress 2 Discussion Thread

Any body play on the No Heroes servers? I play there and they are well modded and have a fun group. Hey if any CAGS want to add me in Steam I'm Commander0Zero there too. I would love to play with you guys.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Any body play on the No Heroes servers? I play there and they are well modded and have a fun group. Hey if any CAGS want to add me in Steam I'm Commander0Zero there too. I would love to play with you guys.[/QUOTE]

It's mostly 32 player near instaspawn garbage, not a fan.

Aside from wanting to "play" again, I don't really get the appeal of an instant respawn server.

I generally use respawn time to do some reconnaissance, which helps to form my strategy/class once I do eventually respawn. Instant respawn servers really throw off that advantage, not to mention that it's heavily favored towards defense. It's also nice on occasion to have that 10-20 second break.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']
I generally use respawn time to do some reconnaissance, which helps to form my strategy/class once I do eventually respawn. Instant respawn servers really throw off that advantage, not to mention that it's heavily favored towards defense. It's also nice on occasion to have that 10-20 second break.[/QUOTE]

I think this is a really important point. Valve even includes the deathcam in their discussions on balance because it does allow you to see what pesky tactics players are using or turret placement, etc. It's not simply like the Goldeneye days where everyone is shouting "hey, quit looking at my SCREEN!"

I don't play on instant respawn because I agree that it throws off the balance of the game towards defense, and I think it causes less strategy by individual players since death essentially has minimal consequence.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']It's mostly 32 player near instaspawn garbage, not a fan.[/QUOTE]

Well I felt it was fun... to each his own. While I do like the stock stuff my main issue was finding a good group to play with and not a bunch of fuck faces that hate team work and act like children. Are there any stock servers that meet my minimal qualification you can recommend?

Here's some stock servers that frequently have good players/good team work, IMO:

67.212.160.114:27015 - iRadic-eSports.com #1 | Stock Rotation | IR Stats | Central
63.208.142.75:27015 - [SS] Secret Service Compound #1
72.233.44.146:27019 - Texas... TeamPlayers... TF2
66.150.164.55:27015 - TheMaCHinE.org - Advanced Teamplay [HLstatsX]
67.228.59.144:27015 - SourceOP.com TF2 Pro Rotation [NO CRITS]

But to be honest, there's always little children and teamstacking in every server. I remember I played on a server that had nothing but GOOD players, and obviously good teamwork and a greater challenge. I'll post the IP if I can find it again.

The Twisted Network has good community servers. The tN and other clan members who play there are (somewhat) good about keeping teams balanced. 24-player max and default respawn times.

I've been playing on their TF servers since the early 2000s, come to think of it, but still haven't become a tN member. heh

I'll try some of those servers suggested but i feel No Heroes is great and has well modded servers. The competition is good and they really are into team based play.I personally like the 32 player limit and spawn times but if I have the need for some stock TF2 maps I'll give those a go.

I personally like all of the SourceOP servers. They have lots them, they are almost always close to being full and I usually get good ping on them.

I'm a pretty big fan of FugTF2.com Back to Basics Servers.

They are usually full, have no real gimmicks, and decent regulars (only real problem is the regulars start all drift to one team and steamroll the other one)

Had an excellent match as medic yesterday, it was the one where you push the cart ( I forget the actual name :oops:)...anyways, I survived the whole match and had 3 ubercharges.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Had an excellent match as medic yesterday, it was the one where you push the cart ( I forget the actual name :oops:)...anyways, I survived the whole match and had 3 ubercharges.[/QUOTE]

Now you just have to work your way to that "heal 10000 health points in one life" achievement. I once got to 9000 healing points and had 6 ubercharges, so I'd say the goal is to get around 7 or 8 ubercharges

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Had an excellent match as medic yesterday, it was the one where you push the cart ( I forget the actual name :oops:)...anyways, I survived the whole match and had 3 ubercharges.[/QUOTE]

It's payload..lol... please you gotta get your TF2 speak down! But great you're having fun with the game and yeah a good medic can keep a team in the field fighting which is a huge advantage

[quote name='Oktoberfest']Now you just have to work your way to that "heal 10000 health points in one life" achievement. I once got to 9000 healing points and had 6 ubercharges, so I'd say the goal is to get around 7 or 8 ubercharges[/QUOTE]

It's better to use Kritzkrieg while on defense. Quicker to charge and it's much better against pushing enemies if the person you are Kritzing isn't a complete retard (my best is 7,365 points though :whistle2:#)

It depends. Kritz is nice if you can surprise them but once the other team figures it out you'll become an even higher priority target as well as completely ineffective against a pair of medics who stagger their ubers.

Yeah. It's the alternate version of the Medigun. Instead of making you and your healee invincible, it gives them guaranteed crits. I also think it charges faster, but I can't remember. You get it either via the drop system or by getting the necessary achievements, only some of which you'll actually be able to get in normal play.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Yeah. It's the alternate version of the Medigun. Instead of making you and your healee invincible, it gives them guaranteed crits. I also think it charges faster, but I can't remember. You get it either via the drop system or by getting the necessary achievements, only some of which you'll actually be able to get in normal play.[/QUOTE]

Sounds cool...another question...what's "crits" :oops:?

[quote name='Genocidal']It depends. Kritz is nice if you can surprise them but once the other team figures it out you'll become an even higher priority target as well as completely ineffective against a pair of medics who stagger their ubers.[/QUOTE]

You become a bigger target but you should always stay back until the charge is ready. I try to top off the people who fall back and than become somebody's pocket medic when the time comes for the kritz. As soon as it is over, I retreat again. Better to be alive and a little back from the front line then following somebody into a suicide situation where you will die/lose your charge.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Sounds cool...another question...what's "crits" :oops:?[/QUOTE]

http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Crits

Kritzkrieg basically turns the Heavy/Solider into a killing machine. You can take down a whole wave of a team if you pop it at the right time.

I'm another one that prefers the 24 max, 10-20 respawn time on the servers. What do people think about random crits? Or spawn camping? The three complaints I hear the most from non-regulars on the server I play on concern respawn times, random crits, and spawn camping.

im not a big fan of crits, i hate it when i get killed in one shot because of a crit...

spawn camping i dont mind so much, if your team is bad enough to let a spy just hang around and backstab or have a heavy medic combo outside the door then you deserve to get picked up. just get a medic and hit em back. i play pyro pretty much always, and there are times when (especially on payload maps) where i can just mow people down, work my way back to spawn, i take out teleporters, kill a few people, but they get me eventually.

Haha, I made a cameo. Cute. Nice find. I was the spy? Hard for me to tell what all was going on besides the guy was playing heavy. Dustbowl was my thang. Once I get this rig built it'll be my thang again. I play as Chernobyl_Cow_Say_Moo

Crits are integral to the game I believe. In a game world that has no wind/no unsteady soil/no blinding sunlight/nothing that can randomly happen out of the ordinary the game really needs something that is "unpredictable" to help smooth things over. The crits are skill-based with some magic einstein logarithm. If you follow board game communities there is always that search for the perfect balance of skill-based gameplay with a little bit of randomness thrown in for good measure. Not that TF2 is going for realism, but players play with a realistic mindset. I think the crits are rewarding in loss and defeat.

While I agree with that, TF2 has no skill implementation for crits. RPG's usually have a luck stat or crit chance you can raise, most FPS's have headshots, other games may have a bar or meter that lets you know when you can use a powerful attack etc. Whereas the crit is entirely random. Yes there's the ramping up effect with damage but that doesn't mean that that guy who was lucky enough to get minigun crits in a room full of people who should have killed him deserved it.

i don't mind kritz.

also for kritzkrieg vs. uber it all depends on who you've got in front of you. A good soldier / medic combo should always roll uber, but that means you have played together for a while.

kritzkrieg i like using on demos and heavies.

I just got my first hat the other day. The batters helmet for the scout, my least-played class :/

I got the heavy (which is good since I'm actually trying out heavy) and spy (bad because I'll probably never play spy) hats. I really, really want the pyro beanie, but I dig the new firefighter hat, too. I hope the new medic hats are more interesting.

My husband calls the batter's helmet the "short bus hat". He also claims his Huntsman arrows hit more helmeted scouts than regular hatted scouts.

bread's done
Back