Team Fortress 2 Discussion Thread

The achievements don't matter to me;their only interest is I need them for the weapons. I don't have months to play on the chance I'll meet arbitrary criteria. Even if I did, I'd be long bored before I unlocked everything. This way, I get to unlock the weapons while I'm still interested in the game.

If the weapons were unlocked some other, rational way, I'd do it "legit", but as it stands, the weapons would do me no good if I was sick of the game before I even unlocked them.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Valve was pretty new to the idea of achievements, Medic was way too hard, Pyro was way too easy, Heavy was just right. They've hit a good point. I've got a lot of bones to pick with you though.

First, let's get to this quote. I'm sorry but that statement is so wrong I can't even begin to tell you, but I'll try. Any medic who sees a scout coming, that scout is dead due to the Blut. Now of course if you have the Blut you likely don't need this achievement but still. Any "Good medic" knows that if his patient isn't protecting him he needs to cover his own as. As a "Career" scout, battle ready medics are a big fear. I'm only 26% faster than him so he can backpedal + Blut me to death quicker than I can meat shot him. A full clip of close range needles does 400-600 damage, 15 needles and I'm down.

Secondly, why farm achievements? Valve puts a lot of work in to making them and straight up farming them is just disrespectful. I'll admit I farmed the medic ones for obvious reasons but Pyro and Heavy I did legitimately (I have zonked out stats though because I did do a few at first but then I thought 'This is lame')[/quote]

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I guess I just love the game to a far greater extent than you guys (Not in a condescending way)[/QUOTE]
That's probably true now. I hardly play now that my internet is terrible, so I can really only play as engineer or medic and not very well at that. Its a shame because scout, spy, and sniper were my 3 favorites and now playing them is completely out of the question.

You've got to understand that when I did play, there were no unlockables and it was fine. Now the classes I cared about don't have those. I'm forced to play medic/engineer, but the unlocks do me no good.

But overall, I just added up all the hour totals, and I've only played 300 hours which is probably nothing compared to those who really love the game.

I can't blame the game for my internet, but other games, like RTS, can handle lag so much better as it only translates into slight input lag rather than teleporting around a map (which is useful as a medic sometimes, makes it hard for people to hit you while the lock of the medigun means you don't have to aim, just jump around like a ninny and hope the server doesn't have a ping limit)

O_O... I think I have like 14 hours for the engineer, 7 for the medic and MAYBE 2 hours total for everything else.

I can't snipe worth a damn. The scout is too fast for me. I make a horse shit spy. Demoman was better in TFC with the demo pack... Heavy is ok, but he doesn't make me moist. Solder is boring. The pyro is funny to listen to, but he doesn't really interest me to play.

Well, think about how many hours you've put into d2/gw and the comparison is similar. Compared to a game that you really love, its a small amount.

I would have to say I just made one of my most awesome scout runs in history...

I was on 2fort, and I got down to the enemy intel room, only to discover that a friend heavy had picked up just a second ago, and then promptly died back out in the hallway, so I run out there and immediately come face to face with an enemy soldier, one shot and he is dead. I quickly grab the intel and make a break for the stairs, only to find a Natasha wielding Heavy and a demo standing in the stairs. I just charge forward and I can feel the heavy's bullets slowing me down, but somehow I make it out alive.

I get out onto the battlements and about 3 snipers are shooting at me, but I still make it across. Finally, as I am running through the hallway's of my own base, I suddenly hit something that stops me, it was a cloaked spy, I quickly shoot him in the face and finally make it back with the intel alive.

Maybe it wasn't that impressive to others... but I was amazed at myself. :lol:

I really didn't put that much time into Guild Wars. :lol: I played the hell out of the beta and beat the game like the first day or two it was out. I tried PvP, but PUGs are always retarded, especially against koreans. Then I quit playing until Factions. Got that and played for a few hours into the compain... got bored of the same old... I had Nightfall for months before I even opened it... I don't think I've even installed Eye of the North. :lol: I was just pissed at how they handled the expansions. You couldn't mix the characters from the different expansions. I felt robbed.

I was level 20 (20 times over) so there was no point to leveling. The gear sucks at every level, so no point in that. The only thing worth getting were skills... but you really only need a few elites you couldn't buy and even then, you really didn't need them if you didn't PVP or already had your build done. I think all the things that were meant to make it accessable just made it boring. Yea, any shmuck and jump in and play with you at any time; the biggest problem with that is that any shmuck can jump in and play at any time.

As for Diablo 2... :lol: Let's hope no game does that to me again. Playing a game with my GF for some reason immediately makes it un fun. She loved D2, so I'm hoping when we play D3 I'll force myself through one play through and then be too sick of dealing with her to ever touch it again and save years of my life.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Well, think about how many hours you've put into d2/gw and the comparison is similar. Compared to a game that you really love, its a small amount.[/quote]

TFC + TF2 have consumed most of my gaming time in the last 9 years.

TF2 is my most played game ever, surpassing Battlefield 1942/Desert Combat. The fun per minute ratio of TF2 is off scale. Plus Valve's still updating the damn game!

I'm half serious when I say I could play exclusively play TF2 for the next 5 years and be totally fine with it.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Valve was pretty new to the idea of achievements, Medic was way too hard, Pyro was way too easy, Heavy was just right. They've hit a good point. I've got a lot of bones to pick with you though.[/QUOTE]
Medic achievements = hard? There are a few that are seriously impossible in a real game (but can be done in smaller servers or custom maps), but otherwise, a lot of them are very easy. Perhaps you don't enjoy playing Medic? I don't know, I found those achievements to be somewhat easy compared to the Heavy. Heavy is my least played class, but still... Pyro, yeah, you're right about those achievements.

Yeah, well the problem with the Medic achievements, is that there are some of them that require cooperation from another team mate, which if you are playing on a pub server, you don't always get.

Let's show off our stats.

tf1eb7.jpg

tf2wb2.jpg

I really suck at Sniper, Spy and Scout but I'm really finding my stride with the demoman. It's funny how easy and overpowered that class is. Once you figure out the arcs and where to lay stickies, it's easy to take out massive chunks of the other team.

With a good player, I'm almost unstoppable with the medic. I'm amazed at how many people uber heavies at the beginning of a match. It's almost always better to go with a demo since they can run in (as long as they ignore the people and there are no good pyros with air blast) and take out the buildings, leading the way for your team to steamroll them.

Another thing that is annoying me on public servers are people who build teleporters at the beginning but never put up an exit. I always stay behind, level all of the entrances up to 3 than change to my class and there is always only one exit up no matter how many people put down entrances. And don't even get me started on stupid engineers that refuse to hit anybody's stuff besides their own. "Yes ignore my level 3 sentry that's on fire so you can try to build a level 1 sentry with half the other team bearing down on you :bomb:"

personalbestsgs5.jpg

classstatsqr0.jpg

Engineer playtime is way more than it would be if I was the only person to play on my account. One of my roomates was addicted for awhile and would only play engy.

[quote name='shinryuu']Medic achievements = hard? There are a few that are seriously impossible in a real game (but can be done in smaller servers or custom maps), but otherwise, a lot of them are very easy. Perhaps you don't enjoy playing Medic? I don't know, I found those achievements to be somewhat easy compared to the Heavy. Heavy is my least played class, but still... Pyro, yeah, you're right about those achievements.[/QUOTE]

Hard wasn't the right word, I think gimmicky fits better.

As for stats, check my sig if you actually care. I only have 200 hours because I only really got in to TF2 Fall '08 even though I've owned it since day 1. It took a while to see how awesome of a game it really was. It says I've played 70 hours pretty much every week because I constantly have it up as windowed mode so that I can play a quick game in between forum and blog posts that I feel I must comment on.

I think the only thing worth showing off from me is the amount of playtime I've put into each class:

tf2-playtime.jpg

Engineer is my 3rd most played class, and the rest of the classes drop off significantly in playtime.

Anyway, I play it almost everyday still. Add me to Steam if you would like to play with me; steam id: SOSTrooper

No, I legit play medic too. It probably took me 3 hours to get the milestones for the medic, heavy and pyro combined.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Wow, you got all medic milestones in 6 hours without farming? Props to you.[/quote]

What? It was a long map... :lol:

[quote name='shinryuu']No way did you get that legitimately.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/afterflow/stats/TF2
^my stats

I only started playing at the beginning of this month? The only reason I log in more hours as Medic or Engineer is because if I'm those classes, I usually stick to them until the end of a round or match. When I'm any other class, I'm reluctant to switch between classes. =p[/quote]

Am I the only one who doesn't care about achievements at all and used an unlocker instead of wasting a ton of time in an achievement server?

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't that sorta something that would get you banned?
[quote name='Sporadic']Am I the only one who doesn't care about achievements at all and used an unlocker instead of wasting a ton of time in an achievement server?[/quote]

http://steamcommunity.com/id/hostilefire/stats/TF2

"Master" of maybe one class (Soldier). Currently playing Demoman, Soldier, Sniper and Pyro (just added him to my repetoire). I have long since given up on playing Medic and Scout. I recently decided I would stop playing Engie. I only play Spy or Heavy when I really want to **** around.

Soldier anytime and anywhere. I can adapt to most situations with him.
Demoman is more situational for me but I guess I'm getting better with him. I'm still not great when it's mano-e-mano.
Sniper is also situational for me and I can be extremely hit-or-miss with him. Just yesterday I hit 4-5 headshots with each successive shot in very short intervals and I can also pop Scouts but I might also miss 5-10 shots or easy Heavy kills because I'm shaking.
Pyro is still new to me but it's been fun. Oddly enough I get the most Medic support when I play Pyro. I rarely play with any Medic riding me even though I usually score in the top three.
Engie... I rarely get stabbed by Spies but I hate waiting sometimes. I'm also a stat whore and Engie really messes with that.
Spy... it's still the class that gets my adrenaline pumping the most when I go on a good streak but I hate dying and Spies die a lot. I always wanted to master the Spy but I'm giving up on that.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/darthbudge/stats/TF2

As you can see, I have played a lot less some then some of you. But I have been really getting back into TF2.

Pyro is really my class, almost any map, any server and I can be in the top 3 with Pyro.

The only class I really don't like is Soldier, I just don't get it. I have tried putting more time into it, but I just get bored so quickly.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Yo anyone play the free 2d Side scrolling TF2? I want to play online, but can't get it to work. Seems like fun.[/QUOTE]

Gang Garrison 2, excellent game.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']http://steamcommunity.com/id/scurker/stats/TF2

Pyro is really my class, but I've been working on demoman a lot more recently. I haven't played as much in the past couple of weeks as I'm waiting for the scout update to come out.[/QUOTE]

You're going to get a lot of flak about your 2 favs.

I have a question to you all though. I'm currently looking for a clan to join so I can scrim with some cool people, anyone know the best way to find one? I don't want a super elite one in CEVO-P or something but I also don't want some pub clan like eGO or Lotus.

Just started playing this recently because my husband made me, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected. I'm overall terrible at FPS, but I've been doing okay at medic. I definitely still need to learn the basics (like... turning around and going up ramps :p). Are there any classes you folks recommend for newbies? Engineer was also suggested to me.

I generally join not full ones, mostly. Occasionally a server gets full before the gui updates, so I try to join a full server, but I don't make a habit of it.

I play on a TF2 official map rotation server called something like [SS]. I saw a CAG in there once. There, or one of TheVille servers. I hate insta-respawn servers. Occasionally I'll play in a custom map server or an Orange server.

[quote name='Hostile']Sniper is also situational for me and I can be extremely hit-or-miss with him. Just yesterday I hit 4-5 headshots with each successive shot in very short intervals and I can also pop Scouts but I might also miss 5-10 shots or easy Heavy kills because I'm shaking.[/QUOTE]

Happens to me more often than not. I blame it on my computer. I can't snipe when there's too many things going on the screen cause my fps drops. haha.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Just started playing this recently because my husband made me, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected. I'm overall terrible at FPS, but I've been doing okay at medic. I definitely still need to learn the basics (like... turning around and going up ramps :p). Are there any classes you folks recommend for newbies? Engineer was also suggested to me.[/QUOTE]

lol, trouble turning and going up ramps...

Any class is fine. They're all noob-friendly. Except you may want to stay away from the Soldier and Demoman. I think you may have a hard time learning how to rocket-jump with the Soldier, and a Soldier with his rocket-jump would limit him. If you play as the Demoman, you'll probably have a hard time knowing what to do if a Medic ubers you.

Just play around. As long as you know what you're supposed to do, you'll be alright.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Just started playing this recently because my husband made me, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected. I'm overall terrible at FPS, but I've been doing okay at medic. I definitely still need to learn the basics (like... turning around and going up ramps :p). Are there any classes you folks recommend for newbies? Engineer was also suggested to me.[/QUOTE]

If you're new to FPS and need to adjust to aiming with the mouse but want to learn, go Heavy. Protect your medic and be sure to be aware of your surroundings (Namely your back)

Slowly raise your sensitivity higher and higher. This will allow you to react more quickly to scouts and spies.

Engi is a great way to get to know sweet spots for defense and it's pretty laid back. Medic is a great way to learn dodging techniques and getting to know then best times for fight or flight.

Heavy is the hardest class to start out as - it requires A LOT of situational awareness and tactical placement because of your lack of speed, the spin up and down time of Sasha/Natascha and your GIANT head for snipers.

Pyro is far and away the best noob class - m1+w ftw.

[quote name='Kayden']What DO you do if a medic ubers you? Bottle + face? :lol:[/QUOTE]

lol Well, I mean if a medic expects her to take out a sentries, she would have trouble knowing that. =d

Pyro is one of the best classes for new people. They are fast and you just have to hold down the mouse button to shoot.

It should allow you to learn the basics and get a handle on the gameplay unlike other classes which require precision shooting or a dependence on other players. When I moved from TF2 with a controller on X360 to TF2 with a keyboard on the PC, pyro was my best friend.

Engineer kind of requires you to stay put which is boring :whistle2:#

Heh, too many hopeless newbs start off as engy. Building 2 lvl 1 guns side-by-side, failing to upgrade tele entrances, wasting class spots.

But as a spy, there's nothing I enjoy more than sapping a row of 4 BLU tele entrances >:)

The easiest way to lose a game as BLU: have half your team as snipers and engies

[quote name='Serik']Heh, too many hopeless newbs start off as engy. Building 2 lvl 1 guns side-by-side, failing to upgrade tele entrances, wasting class spots.

But as a spy, there's nothing I enjoy more than sapping a row of 4 BLU tele entrances >:)

The easiest way to lose a game as BLU: have half your team as snipers and engies[/quote]
No, easiest way to lose a game: NO MEDIC

[quote name='Serik']Heh, too many hopeless newbs start off as engy. Building 2 lvl 1 guns side-by-side, failing to upgrade tele entrances, wasting class spots.[/QUOTE]

I consider myself a veteran in TF2 and I find myself failing to build a tele exit 50% of the time. Which is why I really should just stick with soldier and demoman. :bouncy:

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']You're going to get a lot of flak about your 2 favs.[/quote]

I know a lot of people don't like Pyro, buy why would people dislike Medic?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I have a question to you all though. I'm currently looking for a clan to join so I can scrim with some cool people, anyone know the best way to find one? I don't want a super elite one in CEVO-P or something but I also don't want some pub clan like eGO or Lotus.[/QUOTE]

I think a good way to get to know people who plays in the upper tier of clans is to join their IRC channel and play 'gather' games with them. Gather games are exactly like pick-ups or a scrim with random players. That way people in their respective clan-tags will notice you and may start chatting with you. Communication in those games is a must, so be a cool guy and you'll be in a clan buffet before you know it.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']I think a good way to get to know people who plays in the upper tier of clans is to join their IRC channel and play 'gather' games with them. Gather games are exactly like pick-ups or a scrim with random players. That way people in their respective clan-tags will notice you and may start chatting with you. Communication in those games is a must, so be a cool guy and you'll be in a clan buffet before you know it.[/QUOTE]

That's what I meant by PUGs, I play gathers. Thanks for the invite, we should play gathers sometime.

I actually did get 2 offers, they said they wanted to play a few games so that's kind of cool. ESEA here I come :bouncy:

Funny story: during the second stage breakout on Gold Rush, a medic ubered me even though both of my nade launchers were out of ammo. So I ran into the tower to the right of spawn exit and started clubbing people with my whiskey bottle. Two guys were already pretty hurt so they went down fast. Then I got a crit hit and dropped an engy. A medic and heavy were crowded up there, too, so I thought I was done.

But then the medic ubers him and they just stand there, firing down on the cart starting point. I crouch behind the medic with my bottle ready. The uber wears off and I kill the medic and then start whacking away at the fatty. And I actually kill him!

Finally, an enemy demo comes running at me with his bottle in hand. We face off and I manage yet another bottle kill, bringing the total to six. I was laughing my ass off after that.

Lately I've been having a lot of fun dicking around: playing as a heavy who only uses fists; sneaking into the sniper window that faces RED's spawn on Badwater and shooting my spy pistol at players exiting spawn; playing as a spy who does nothing but loiter near BLU spawn and sap teles.

bread's done
Back