Team Fortress 2 Discussion Thread

[quote name='Kayden']What I want to know is why did they take out the grenades because they were too complex but now they're adding in all these fucking unlockables?[/QUOTE]

Grenades were taken out because of how spammy they were, much like flashbangs in CS

[quote name='darthbudge']I finally unlocked Natasha. She kicks ass.

Is she more accurate than Sasha? Because it sure seems like it to me...[/QUOTE]

If by accurate you mean tighter spread; no, she's equal to Sasha except for slowing and power.

[quote name='crystalklear64']New backstab record today! Even had budge there with me :)[/quote]

Nice! I thought you sure seemed to be getting a lot of backstabs there.

Too bad I started lagging out.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']i'm having mixed feelings about the sandman thus far (i haven't played either of those two maps, but more maps can't be a bad thing right?).

It sounds pretty balanced with the no double jump and all, but it does seem a LITTLE bit OP, stunning even ubered players. i'm just curious to see if when you're stunned, you can't move/shoot or if you just can't move but can still aim around but with some dizzy effects. I really hope it doesn't become a spammy weapon either.

But i'm reserving judgement until it comes out and i get some time to mess around with it. There are still a lot of unanswered questions. What kind of damage does the sandman do? Does the damage increase when hitting a stunned opponent? How long of an interval is there between hitting baseballs? Is there an ammo count for the balls? We'll find out in less than a week.[/QUOTE]

losing the double jump is one of hardest things i can imagine - i live for double jump!

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']New update, Energy Drink

This is bullshit, it must be the Spy update in disguise. They are virtually breaking the class.[/QUOTE]
That'd actually be hilariously awesome. On the last day, turns out the scout was actually a blue spy and they change all the stuff around.

Note: Bonk! contains several hundred times the daily recommended allowance of sugar. After the beneficial effects of the radiation wear off, drinkers have reported experiencing feelings of lethargy that can last several seconds. Reading this sentence absolves Bonk! of any liability for killing sprees inspired by or deaths resulting from the ingestion of Bonk! Enjoy Bonk! responsibly… Or by the case!

So, the only thing it is is a burst of super speed followed by a few seconds of being extra slow?

Check out the background: it teases the new game mode. Looks like a two cart race of some sort.

[quote name='Serik']Check out the background: it teases the new game mode. Looks like a two cart race of some sort.[/QUOTE]

Looks like duel-payload...which would be awesome.

[quote name='Sporadic']So, the only thing it is is a burst of super speed followed by a few seconds of being extra slow?[/QUOTE]
Judging by the "Miss" things over his head, I'd guess that it prevents the scout from getting hit directly with projectiles. Explosions and fire probably still effect him.

I think the main use is to get past sentries, so I'd say its either dodge, or makes him too fast for sentries to track.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']New update, Energy Drink

This is bullshit, it must be the Spy update in disguise. They are virtually breaking the class.[/quote]

it's a good thing you aren't obligated to use the unlockables then.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']it's a good thing you aren't obligated to use the unlockables then.[/QUOTE]

I'm dissapointed though, Heavy got a kick ass minigun and cool melee, Medic got all awesome things (2 pure upgrades), the Pyro got Flaregun and Axtinguisher and Airblast which kick ass, but so far my favorite class is getting jokeish gag weapons.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I'm dissapointed though, Heavy got a kick ass minigun and cool melee, Medic got all awesome things (2 pure upgrades), the Pyro got Flaregun and Axtinguisher and Airblast which kick ass, but so far my favorite class is getting jokeish gag weapons.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what's jokeish/gag about the new baseball bat. It will help make the scout a realistic pick while on defense.

[quote name='Sporadic']I don't know what's jokeish/gag about the new baseball bat. It will help make the scout a realistic pick while on defense.[/quote]

Plus, the energy drink will be great for when you need those quick dashes to get past a bunch of sentries.

You're hitting baseballs at a bunch of people doing kamehamehas, eatting sammiches and shanking people with broken beer bottles.

[quote name='crystalklear64']You're hitting baseballs at a bunch of people with explosives, flamethrowers, and guns.[/quote]

note that the unlockable item is the only thing out of place there

if i could do kamehamehas, you best believe I'd be using it. Broken beer bottle? time honored traditional weapon.

Sandwich? wtf, get these stupid ass updates out of here.

I don't think anyone will be complaining about "gag weapons" when a scout stops an uber'd heavy from pushing and capping the final point.

Is there an active CAG TF2 community? I know there is the dedicated steam group, but is there a group of CAGs which play together regularly?

cp_egypt and cp_fastlane. Fastlane gets an update. I've never really played fastlane, but I went tg time. Egypt, well, the setting/textures look cool. Can't say much about that map either.

We should get a CAG game night together. The only problem is, we need a server to accommodate everyone. Also, everyone isn't in the same region so some people might have connection issues depending on where the server is located.

@Hydro - I'm not sure if they are "gag" items. I think we just have to see the primary unlockable. I can see what you're saying, but the Sandman is a gameplay changer and the energy drink can go either way. No one knew what to expect so for VALVe to settle with this seems like they've tested this crap over and over to make sure they got it right.

A Dustbowl-style control point map, Egypt is visually striking, full of great combat spaces, and features some really interesting uses of vertical space. Classes with the ability to ascend rapidly (Soldiers, Demomen, and Scouts using the new scattergun unlockable ) have lots of options for traversing the arenas. In addition, the ruins provide Engineers with a large number of potential sentrygun locations.

noice

Yeah, apparently they leaked some info on the new scattergun unlockable in the achievement description as well. Force-a-Nature, has something to do with knockback. Interesting.

Sweet. CP_Egypt looks sweet.

EDIT: I just looked over the achievements and they are really nice! I think they balance nicely between some hard ones, and some easy ones.

People are throwing out the term "Force-a-Nature" for the new Scattergun at the official Steam forums.

EDIT: PROBLY CUZ THE ACHIEVEMENT DESCRIPTORS ARE THERE NOW DURR HURR LURRRRRRRRRRR

Eight of them can be done alone. Get a sandwich for 1000 double-jumps.

[quote name='Nohbdy']EDIT: PROBLY CUZ THE ACHIEVEMENT DESCRIPTORS ARE THERE NOW DURR HURR LURRRRRRRRRRR[/QUOTE]Thanks for pointing this out. I could have sworn I just checked it!

FYI, they just released an Orange Box Engine update.

It fixed some stats and achievements not registering, and some incompatibilities with certain mods.

new maps are always good, but i'm kinda with you hydro. a new map from valve would be awesome as most of the maps they make are pretty awesome.

I was hoping we would see a valve map utilizing the lumberyard style. It's very disappointing that arena is the only mode utilizing that art style. I'd love to see a CTF or CP map in that flavor.

What's to stop them to report two different types of announcements in a single post? They did that with the Sandvich.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I was hoping we would see a valve map utilizing the lumberyard style. It's very disappointing that arena is the only mode utilizing that art style. I'd love to see a CTF or CP map in that flavor.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure theres a payload map using that set of props and there's CP for sure. Custom of course.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I'm pretty sure theres a payload map using that set of props and there's CP for sure. Custom of course.[/quote]

pl_cashworks and cp_observatoryBoth use the alpine textures. Both are somewhat big but fun.

TF2 is one of those games I WISH I could like. I just don't! The game always feels way to damn hectic! And Spy's are less about espionage and more about doing suicide runs... every single person shoots each other constantly, so there is no fooling anyone. And it doesn't matter anyways, there is so much chaos going on you're going to die.

Probably have to play a smaller game or something... but this game doesn't do it for me. I just completely suck with EVERY character! I always just run in, kill like 1 person and die, repeat.

Bah.

you almost have it right

Run in, kill like 1 person, run out. Skip the die part and you'll have it!

Also, you're doing spies wrong. Sometimes a suicide run is good if you just have to take out that one target (like a medic with a charged uber) but you gotta be patient and wait around for opportunities. If you're observant they present themselves fairly often.

Also, I got to play with Kayden yesterday. I was honored and privileged.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), for him me and Zinrae/Lord Melvin were using operation machete the whole time.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']TF2 is one of those games I WISH I could like. I just don't! The game always feels way to damn hectic! And Spy's are less about espionage and more about doing suicide runs... every single person shoots each other constantly, so there is no fooling anyone. And it doesn't matter anyways, there is so much chaos going on you're going to die.

Probably have to play a smaller game or something... but this game doesn't do it for me. I just completely suck with EVERY character! I always just run in, kill like 1 person and die, repeat.

Bah.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what servers you play in. Try and play in servers that don't have fast respawn or are 24+ player limit. You're playing the game wrong if you're dying after killing 1 person. It's a game based on momentum and to do that you need some teamwork.

I had the same view point as you, but that was when I played it on the 360. =p

[quote name='shinryuu']I'm not sure what servers you play in. Try and play in servers that don't have fast respawn or are 24+ player limit. You're playing the game wrong if you're dying after killing 1 person. It's a game based on momentum and to do that you need some teamwork.

I had the same view point as you, but that was when I played it on the 360. =p[/quote]

Ya, the only games I can find are max player games (like 32 players?) and fast respawn. It's so friggen unfun. Cause there are usually like 12 or so Pyros and they just shoot anything that moves, so there is no planning, you just run out and get caught on fire.

I'll try and look for a smaller game... I tried but couldn't find anything.

Ooooooh. That's why that guy was going ape shit about you ubering snipers. :lol:

[quote name='crystalklear64']Also, I got to play with Kayden yesterday. I was honored and privileged.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), for him me and Zinrae/Lord Melvin were using operation machete the whole time.[/quote]

I played on CP_Egypt for the first time a day or two before it was announced as part of the update and I really wasn't that impressed. Even after playing it for an hour I was still getting lost.

I really can't wait for this new update.

I was just playing as a scout on 2fort, and the only thing standing in my way of capturing the intel a million times, was just one sentry in the intel room. Would have been awesome to use the energy drink to blast past it and grab the intel.

Who says that drink's going to let you cap the intel in the first place?

For all we know it's going to not let you do other stuff.

bread's done
Back