Team Fortress 2 Discussion Thread

[quote name='Kayden']Ooooooh. That's why that guy was going ape shit about you ubering snipers. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I got ubered as a spy today. I'm not exactly sure why, I think he was a new player but it sure pissed the rest of the team off.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I played on CP_Egypt for the first time a day or two before it was announced as part of the update and I really wasn't that impressed. Even after playing it for an hour I was still getting lost.[/QUOTE]

I played Junction yesterday and have played Egypt in the past and I'm not really impressed with either map. I know a lot of people get confused with Steel, but compared to Junction, Steel has a much more simple layout. Junction just doesn't make any logical sense when playing it and the directions given on the map are fairly poor.

Egypt is almost as confusing, as I recall several paths leading to dead ends in multiple instances, not to mention that the map is unusually large.

I'm not exactly sure why these maps were chosen as there are maps with better layouts than these two.

^My guess is that Egypt was chosen so that everyone would have the textures (which are pretty nice) and could make maps with them. The only thing bad about them are that they are more brown, TF2 has way too much brown.

I really like the green/white mountain textures from Lumberyard, but I don't see them used very often. Even the new Valve duel Payload map seems to be using the brown desert textures. :cry:

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I got ubered as a spy today. I'm not exactly sure why, I think he was a new player but it sure pissed the rest of the team off.
[/quote]

That reminds that the other day I was playing, and I was defense at Gold Rush.

It was the map with more checkpoints than the rest, the 3rd maybe?

Oh well, well I set up in the very front there in the buildings as sniper, and there was also a medic, heavy and a pyro waiting with me. Well the gates open, and all of a sudden the medic ubers me! :lol:

It was hilarious, and I am not very good sniper so it wasn't even like I could stand out in the open and pop off some headshots all that easily.

Next time you are ubered as a Heavy, eat.

If you are ubered as a Spy, crabwalk.

As a sniper, pelvic thrust.

You know, the more I look at it, I think this might actually be a Spy update in disguise...

I actually like the unlockables, but some things do sound fishy, and it would be absolutely hilarious if it turned out to be a Spy update. Plus, all real TF2 players would find funny irony that the Spy updated was disguised as a Scout update.

I just started playing again and I remembered why I loved it.

Don't care for Scout Update that much since I don't play scout much..

Oh man, I just had a good run as Medic w/ Kritz on dustbowl, Stage 2. Set a personal record for most healing points and was tearing it up kritzing a Heavy 5+ times, and a Soldier once.

Had some awesome rounds as a scout on CP_Well.

I captured all three points in one run. It was freakin' awesome. I actually ended up making or helping in the final capture all 4 times, in a row. :]

Why must Valve be assholes regarding their site update schedule? IS IT TOO HARD TO TAKE AFTER JAPAN TIME?

No shit... it's been Monday for 14 hours, where's the rest of the info?

I don't really care, but the sooner it comes out, the sooner they can get working on the engi update.

They haven't done a single support class update. First the medic and the heavy from defense, then the pyro on offense, now the scout. I want my muthafukin updates on my muthafukin engineer!

[quote name='Kayden']No shit... it's been Monday for 14 hours, where's the rest of the info?

I don't really care, but the sooner it comes out, the sooner they can get working on the engi update.

They haven't done a single support class update. First the medic and the heavy from defense, then the pyro on offense, now the scout. I want my muthafukin updates on my muthafukin engineer![/quote]
... Did you just seriously say that the Medic is not a support class? It hasn't been that long since you got some sort of update (Upgradable dispensers and teleporters). What about Soldiers, Demos, Snipers, and Spies? The only updates that Soldiers and Demos get are nerfs so stop complaining.

Medic isn't support. He's an offensive powerhouse, can't you tell? He's like a Ghostbuster in disguise.

I keep seeing H2O on the Steam forums. That's funny.

Offensive is Scout, Pyro and Soldier.
Defensive is Heavy, Demo and Medic.
Support is Engineer, Spy and Sniper.

...or did I fuck that up?

Anyways... I want the Engineer update pack... thing.

[quote name='kenkaze']... Did you just seriously say that the Medic is not a support class? It hasn't been that long since you got some sort of update (Upgradable dispensers and teleporters). What about Soldiers, Demos, Snipers, and Spies? The only updates that Soldiers and Demos get are nerfs so stop complaining.[/quote]

I suppose that makes sense... but I still want engi unlockables.

Instead of the pistol, there should be an oil gun that blinds people or makes them slip.

Even better would be the ability to make two turrets. The can't be upgraded to 3, and only have half the tracking range, but you can make two of them.

Dispenser that zaps the enemy team instead of heals yours...

hmm..i like those engi ideas kayden. of course on paper, everything sounds like a good idea.

valve time is in effect for today! it's almost 5pm pacific time and the scout page still isn't updated. ah well, it's valve. i've come to expect things late from them. i wonder what time the scout update will be released tomorrow...

Update is up now. Of course it is about the "Force-A-Nature". My thoughts on it in a second.

EDIT: So basically it is a slow loading gun that will blow enemies away with deadly force, or it can also push you up if you fire it while jumping. Pretty neat... this could be pretty handy on some maps.

Also, they are allowing people to vote for which order the items should be unlocked. I voted for the energy drink to be unlocked first.

So will this lead to triple jumping?

On top of that... isn't the current scout shooter already a one shotter if you're close enough?

[quote name='darthbudge']Update is up now. Of course it is about the "Force-A-Nature". My thoughts on it in a second.

EDIT: So basically it is a slow loading gun that will blow enemies away with deadly force, or it can also push you up if you fire it while jumping. Pretty neat... this could be pretty handy on some maps.

Also, they are allowing people to vote for which order the items should be unlocked. I voted for the energy drink to be unlocked first.[/quote]

i voted energy drink, but it looks the force-a-nature is in the lead. i suppose, you unlock the primary weapon first on other classes, so it makes sense.

i've been playing a medic recently and i'm having a lot of fun with that. many different ways to play. hopefully i'll be able to do that battle medic thing posted earlier in the thread.

This:
[quote name='Sleepkyng']master the battle medic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuJn3DG8Mew[/quote]

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']i voted energy drink, but it looks the force-a-nature is in the lead. i suppose, you unlock the primary weapon first on other classes, so it makes sense.

i've been playing a medic recently and i'm having a lot of fun with that. many different ways to play. hopefully i'll be able to do that battle medic thing posted earlier in the thread.

This:[/QUOTE]

to really do it well, you need another medic who you play with a lot and can anticipate your actions - a lot of fail happens when confusion sets in. Also don't let pyros separate you.

[quote name='darthbudge']Update maybe live?

I just tried to start it up and it is downloading a big update.[/QUOTE]

Same, oh god.

Mine will be done in 3 minutes :bouncy:

It's Live Bitches.

EDIT:

Update details:

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

New features

• Added The Force-A-Nature, The Sandman, and Bonk!
  • Added 35 new Scout achievements
  • Added crit boosted on/off sound effects
  • Added new sounds for upgraded teleporters
  • Added new sound for a fully charged medic dying
  • Add bonus points section to scores
    • Scouts earn a bonus point for killing Medics who are actively healing a target
  • Added several new speech concepts, mostly hooked up to new Scout lines
  • Added new "Remember last weapon between lives" option to the Multiplayer Advanced dialog
  • Spies can now control which weapon the enemy team sees them holding. Hitting the "last disguise" key while disguised updates the disguise to show the Spy's currently held weapon
  • Added several new Arena mode announcer speech events.
  • Added "First Blood" to Arena mode
  • Removed 2x item respawn times in arena
  • Changed backstab handling to fix facestabs
  • Spies disguised as enemy team can now see player IDs for enemies

New maps

• Added community maps: cp_egypt, arena_watchtower, and cp_junction
  • Updated cp_fastlane with Arttu's new version

Mapmaker requests

• Added new input for forward speed modifier to FuncTrainTrain
  • Added TeleportToPathTrack input to func_tracktrain

Bugfixes

• Fixed a bug where players would sometimes gib from non-gib damage kills
  • Fixed stat screen showing an entry for a class called "map."
  • Fixed item model panels not using team skins

- Fixed obscure bug where spectators were able to carry the flag

February 24, 2009 - Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

New features

* Added The Force-A-Nature, The Sandman, and Bonk!
* Added 35 new Scout achievements
* Added crit boosted on/off sound effects
* Added new sounds for upgraded teleporters
* Added new sound for a fully charged medic dying
* Add bonus points section to scores
o Scouts earn a bonus point for killing Medics who are actively healing a target
* Added several new speech concepts, mostly hooked up to new Scout lines
* Added new "Remember last weapon between lives" option to the Multiplayer Advanced dialog
* Spies can now control which weapon the enemy team sees them holding. Hitting the "last disguise" key while disguised updates the disguise to show the Spy's currently held weapon
* Added several new Arena mode announcer speech events.
* Added "First Blood" to Arena mode
* Removed 2x item respawn times in arena
* Changed backstab handling to fix facestabs
* Spies disguised as enemy team can now see player IDs for enemies

New maps

* Added community maps: cp_egypt, arena_watchtower, and cp_junction
* Updated cp_fastlane with Arttu's new version

Mapmaker requests

* Added new input for forward speed modifier to FuncTrainTrain
* Added TeleportToPathTrack input to func_tracktrain

Bugfixes

* Fixed a bug where players would sometimes gib from non-gib damage kills
* Fixed stat screen showing an entry for a class called "map."
* Fixed item model panels not using team skins

- Fixed obscure bug where spectators were able to carry the flag

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

[quote name='darthbudge']You are late Sporadic. ;)

This update is taking forever to download...[/QUOTE]

I saw your ninja edit :whistle2:#

7 seconds left for me. I'm kind of disappointed we didn't get a new video or gameplay type.

What happened to the new pl map and game mode?

Anyway, awesome update. I'm more excited about spies changing weapons than the scout unlocks :p

I'm such a pro...update has been out for only 10 minutes and I've already unlocked all three weapons ;)

scoutf.jpg

After playing with the unlockable weapons, here's my impressions.

The Sandman - 1 baseball and it slowly recharges unless you go track down the ball. Nice for stopping ubers. Hit the medic and you can stop one permanently as the heavy doesn't realize that the medic is bonked and runs out of the range of his medgun. Mainly a defense only weapon.

Force-A-Nature - Really don't like this gun so far. I've never been a good scout but it seems really weak. Took 4 shots to kill a spy :/

Bonk! - It's exactly what it seems. Makes you invincible for a few second and you can't shoot. Mainly used for getting past sentries on bottlenecks on the map.

[quote name='Sporadic']The Sandman - 1 baseball and it slowly recharges unless you go track down the ball. Nice for stopping ubers. Hit the medic and you can stop one permanently as the heavy doesn't realize that the medic is bonked and runs out of the range of his medgun. Mainly a defense only weapon.[/QUOTE]
What happens to people hit by the baseball? How's aiming it?

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']What happens to people hit by the baseball? How's aiming it?[/QUOTE]

They get "bonked" (frozen) for a few seconds, the time depending on how far away you hit them. It's about enough time to rush over and whack them with the bat a couple times.

Aiming is fine. Seems to have a slight arc.

[quote name='shinryuu']Heh, in your example you used a medic and a heavy. Who ubers heavies still? :lol:[/QUOTE]

The guy I bonked :cool:

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I think I'm going to wait until tomorrow. Seems like the teams are going to be made up of 12/12 scouts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm going to wait it out too.

Heh, in your example you used a medic and a heavy. Who ubers heavies still? :lol:

I actually liked Egypt. Obviously, it wasn't really an authentic experience with most people playing Scout, but still, it's pretty and has some nice gameplay.

yeah, im not going to play for a few days. it's freaking ridiculous. playing as a medic, it's impossible to keep up with scouts (because that's all there is to heal) and there are scattergun/force-a-nature shots going on all around you. it's REALLY hard to stay alive as a medic, cause you're number one priority.

also, why the HELL does everybody have the unlocks already???? something NEEDS to be done about achievement servers.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back