Team Fortress 2 Discussion Thread

[quote name='SEH']They didnt just take advantage of the schedule, they took advantage of the server cloud. They sent back packets saying they were smelting metal an unlimited amount of times so they could 100% secure a wrench. So yes, they were justly banned.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, they should get banned then. That's different from what was posted before.

Can anyone point me to a page where there is a summary of all the Weapon updates/unlocks, I can't seem to find one that has everything.

I just tried playing on a Monday night... wow people are terrible. The crowd that plays on the weekdays makes payload and control points play like arena.

[quote name='wakawakawa']I just tried playing on a Monday night... wow people are terrible. The crowd that plays on the weekdays makes payload and control points play like arena.[/QUOTE]

Gotta find good servers. I tend to only play in the OCN and LotusClan servers since not everyone in those are complete retards. But yeah, most servers it's just people going after a high score rather than actually trying to push the cart/cap the points.

[quote name='SEH']Gotta find good servers. I tend to only play in the OCN and LotusClan servers since not everyone in those are complete retards. But yeah, most servers it's just people going after a high score rather than actually trying to push the cart/cap the points.[/QUOTE]

The sad part is people even fail at that....If you go out and try to achieve the goal, you often get more points than not doing so.

In multiple games of pl_whatever map, I've gotten 25-30 points in 1 death playing as a Heavy, using a med and the cart for the constant health/ammo to push it and just get ridiculous amounts of points.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']The sad part is people even fail at that....If you go out and try to achieve the goal, you often get more points than not doing so.

In multiple games of pl_whatever map, I've gotten 25-30 points in 1 death playing as a Heavy, using a med and the cart for the constant health/ammo to push it and just get ridiculous amounts of points.[/QUOTE]

Yea,

My single life high score as demoman was like my 2nd hour playing the class on badwater. I think I had like 35-40 points. I captured all the points, got like 3 ubers, took out a bunch of SGs and people. I will probably never top it.

I had a game once as engineer on dustbowl where my SG had over 45 kills, then on the same life built another one where I got over 20 kills. Then the server crashed so the stats didn't save... another thing I will probably never top. That was me playing the class, working with the team, and defending the capture point.

[quote name='wakawakawa']Yea,

My single life high score as demoman was like my 2nd hour playing the class on badwater. I think I had like 35-40 points. I captured all the points, got like 3 ubers, took out a bunch of SGs and people. I will probably never top it.

I had a game once as engineer on dustbowl where my SG had over 45 kills, then on the same life built another one where I got over 20 kills. Then the server crashed so the stats didn't save... another thing I will probably never top. That was me playing the class, working with the team, and defending the capture point.[/QUOTE]

I'd probably rage quit at that point if I was on the opposite team. NO SG should be able to get 45 kills....EVER. A smart enough team should always be able to get an SG before it hits even 10 kills.

I've had games like that as well with my sentry getting 30+ kills. It's pretty hilarious when the other team just cannot get their shit together whatsoever.

I've been pretty disinterested in TF2 lately though. I was hoping the amount of engies used in a game would've gone down by now, but most games still have like 4+ engies a side. Combine that with 3+ snipers and two or three spies and you have a recipe for repeat failure.

There also seems to be an influx of dumbass medics lately as well. I cant stand those who insist on healing the same guy as me (thanks for increasing BOTH of our uber charge times dipshit), or those who just are completely oblivious to the game going on around them and refuse to heal anyone but the heavy they've been locked on for five minutes.

Overall it just seems like there's been a LOT more scrubs playing.

I'd be interested in getting a TF2 session going with the people on this thread...It seems like there's enough people who know when to play what class according to the team's needs instead of marrying themselves to a particular class no matter what.

Anyone host a server here?

[quote name='SEH']I've had games like that as well with my sentry getting 30+ kills. It's pretty hilarious when the other team just cannot get their shit together whatsoever.

I've been pretty disinterested in TF2 lately though. I was hoping the amount of engies used in a game would've gone down by now, but most games still have like 4+ engies a side. Combine that with 3+ snipers and two or three spies and you have a recipe for repeat failure.

There also seems to be an influx of dumbass medics lately as well. I cant stand those who insist on healing the same guy as me (thanks for increasing BOTH of our uber charge times dipshit), or those who just are completely oblivious to the game going on around them and refuse to heal anyone but the heavy they've been locked on for five minutes.

Overall it just seems like there's been a LOT more scrubs playing.[/QUOTE]

This game definitely has ups and downs with skill level based on day of the week, and updates/sales. There are some days I play for 2 hours and can't find a decent game, other days I've played all afternoon and had good games throughout.

It's funny with snipers and spies. If a team has 1 great spy and 1 great sniper it makes night and day difference and can shut down the other team. Having 3-4 mediocre ones just guarantees getting rolled. In that regard those are those two most skill based classes.

[quote name='SEH']I've had games like that as well with my sentry getting 30+ kills. It's pretty hilarious when the other team just cannot get their shit together whatsoever.

Overall it just seems like there's been a LOT more scrubs playing.[/QUOTE]

You need to find a server with class limits. I know the one I play on has engis limited down to 3. Of course that's a big problem if 3 chuckleheads grab the slots and leave your team defenseless but it's more fun than having 5+ engis on both sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sporadic']You need to find a server with class limits. I know the one I play on has engis limited down to 3. Of course that's a big problem if 3 chuckleheads grab the slots and leave your team defensiveness but it's more fun than having 5+ engis on both sides.[/QUOTE]

Class limits are a double-edged sword in my opinion. When there's no limits, you have the potential of winding up with an over abundance of one class. However, when there are class limits, you get everyone scrambling to fill up that one class that's capped at like two or three, and in most cases, wind up with awful people playing that role and costing your team the game.

Are there some good places for noobs to play this? I played a couple games a few months ago and realized I need alot of practice. I'd like to start playing more soon but I'm trying to hold off on most online games till my health gets abit better.

[quote name='Waughoo']Are there some good places for noobs to play this? I played a couple games a few months ago and realized I need alot of practice. I'd like to start playing more soon but I'm trying to hold off on most online games till my health gets abit better.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know this as well. I don't play too often and while I don't think I'm that bad and I can rack up some kills every now and then, I'd still say I'm less than average skill. The only classes I'm decent with are Heavy/Medic/Sniper since those the classes I've spent the most time with. Any time I try out another class, I don't really know what I'm doing and just feel like I'm not helping out my team in any way.

I know that there are bots, and that's decent practice, but I still think there's no better practice than playing online against real people. But I don't want to play a class I'm not good with and be a drain on my team and have a bunch of 1337 pro people bitching at me about "you suck as xxxx, you're fail life, go kill yourself" etc etc etc.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']there are newb servers out there. Not everyone will be a complete newbie, but hopefully you will find people of similar skill[/QUOTE]

indeed. Just find servers that are spam heavy...servers that hold 32 slots and include fast spawn. one useless player trying to figure out the game won't matter much ;)

That's how I did.

[quote name='SEH']Class limits are a double-edged sword in my opinion. When there's no limits, you have the potential of winding up with an over abundance of one class. However, when there are class limits, you get everyone scrambling to fill up that one class that's capped at like two or three, and in most cases, wind up with awful people playing that role and costing your team the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I meant defenseless (my spell checker went insane)

[quote name='Waughoo']Are there some good places for noobs to play this? I played a couple games a few months ago and realized I need alot of practice. I'd like to start playing more soon but I'm trying to hold off on most online games till my health gets abit better.[/QUOTE]

I spent my first 25 hours gooning it up in 2fort2furious. It attracts some good players but it is also silly enough for new people to learn the ropes of the game.

Noob question.

If I buy The Orange Box, will Team Fortress 2 be able to be updated? or will it be like the 360's version? I've been playing it on the 360 and it's really awesome but hearing about all these updates makes me want the PC version. The Orange Box seems like the cheapest way to get it.

[quote name='Salamando3000']If you buy the Orange Box on PC, TF2 will be fully updatable. It does make it significantly more awesome than the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

Haha thanks for the quick response.

Yeah, console TF2 and PC TF2 are like two totally different games. The sheer amount of content in the PC version compared to the console version is astounding.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Just to clear this out of my head....you unlock new weapons by unlocking in-game achievements ?[/QUOTE]

Close you unlock new weapons by hitting a certain number of achievements for that class and through random drops while you play.

[quote name='Sporadic']Close you unlock new weapons by hitting a certain number of achievements for that class and through random drops while you play.[/QUOTE]

what is "random drops" as I play mean ? I am really slow in the head because of incense.

As you're playing occasionally you'll get random items. It doesn't physically drop and you don't do anything to pick it up, you'll just get a message saying you found such and such.

The most important of these are hats.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']what is "random drops" as I play mean ? I am really slow in the head because of incense.[/QUOTE]

While playing, you'll randomly get Weapons and (rarely) Hats. The hats are purely cosmetic, so if you never find one, you're still on even ground with everyone else. The drops are purely random. They're not linked to number of kills, number of deaths, nothing. You'll just find them as you play. You can only find a limited number of drops each week, and that resets on Thursday morning (iirc).

[quote name='Salamando3000']The hats are purely cosmetic, so if you never find one, you're still on even ground with everyone else. [/QUOTE]

A-ha-ha! You are as PRESUMPTUOUS as your are POOR and IRISH. Tarnish notte the majesty of my TOWER of HATS.

[quote name='Sporadic']A-ha-ha! You are as PRESUMPTUOUS as your are POOR and IRISH. Tarnish notte the majesty of my TOWER of HATS.[/QUOTE]

Tarnations! I've been found! Indeed, I am but a smelly unfortunate.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']How long do you think TF2 will last before development of TF3....if there will even be one.[/QUOTE]

I cannot see why there would be one in any near future. I'm sure ideas float around on the backburner but the game doesn't need anything else aside from minor additions.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I cannot see why there would be one in any near future. I'm sure ideas float around on the backburner but the game doesn't need anything else aside from minor additions.[/QUOTE]

This. They update TF2 all the time, adding in tons of new content. There's absolutely zero need for a TF3. Maybe once they develop a new engine, but I don't see that happening for quite awhile considering how versatile the Source engine is. We'll see Episode 3 before we hear any talks of TF3.

I need help, I turned on auto reload and I cant find how to turn it off. I dont remember where I even turned it on in the first place, it gets really annoying when playing as the scout and your constantly reloading

any help would be great

[quote name='A Happy Panda']There's auto reloading? Interesting...

I had to use script for it in TFC, but that's neat that it's just a straight up option.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is pretty cool but annoying for the scout. I also like it because it only reload when your not shooting

hope that made sense.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Yeah it is pretty cool but annoying for the scout. I also like it because it only reload when your not shooting

hope that made sense.[/QUOTE]

Why only the Scout?

Doesn't firing always cancel out the reload animation?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Why only the Scout?

Doesn't firing always cancel out the reload animation?[/QUOTE]

noit is just that with the scout I am "VERY" inaccurate so I always spam bullets with the scattergun. When you have it on auto-reload it seems it slows does the firing a bit because it is always reloading for me.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']noit is just that with the scout I am "VERY" inaccurate so I always spam bullets with the scattergun. When you have it on auto-reload it seems it slows does the firing a bit because it is always reloading for me.[/QUOTE]

Why not try to improve your aim...

FYI:

Are you the player in your Team Fortress 2 group known not just for proficiency in a certain class, but in the special skill of hat storytelling as well? If so, you're a shoo-in for Valve's latest contest.

"Fans have been mailing us for some time now," Valve said on the TF2 blog, "asking for a contest that didn't involve modeling or level design. So now they get their wish. That's right: you'll be competing over who can describe hats the best." The full details can be found here, but essentially, you can send in a description of one of the game's hats, and Valve might use it in the game.

In addition to tales of headwear, Valve also announced a bonus for TF2 fans who buy Worms Reloaded: Holy Hand Grenade accessories and a new helmet for the Soldier. Buy Reloaded before September 2 to get access to these (purely decorative) items.
http://i.joystiq.com/2010/08/25/describe-team-fortress-2s-hats-in-the-tf2-hat-describing-contes/

The Worms Reloaded promo seems pretty damn cool.

bread's done
Back