Team Fortress 2 Discussion Thread

...Why must they do this to me. So, so, so tempted to pre-order Worms now. I like the games, but the TF2 hat and grenades has put it over the top.

I've only played the Xbox 360 version of TF2, and that was maybe half a year ago since I played it last. Did they ever update it to be like the PC version/is there a comparison site where I can see what I'll need to get caught up on before jumping in on the PC version?

[quote name='sealionnn']I've only played the Xbox 360 version of TF2, and that was maybe half a year ago since I played it last. Did they ever update it to be like the PC version/is there a comparison site where I can see what I'll need to get caught up on before jumping in on the PC version?[/QUOTE]

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Team_Fortress_2

At the very bottom is a link to the major content patches of the game. In short, there's over double the weapons, new game modes, new maps, balance tweaks, and hats. Hats perhaps being the most important addition.

Perhaps nothing, they are. Though they're a bit overpowered, you'll stare slackjawed and let an enemy spy escape just because you're stunned by the beauty of his towering pillar of hats and not at all suspicious beard.

[quote name='Salamando3000']http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Team_Fortress_2

At the very bottom is a link to the major content patches of the game. In short, there's over double the weapons, new game modes, new maps, balance tweaks, and hats. Hats perhaps being the most important addition.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, too many updates! Guess I'll just hop in and get used to everything that's new.

Eh, it isn't so bad.

You'll start off with only the weapons you had on 360. The most notable exception comes from Engy, who can now upgrade all buildings to level 3 (and not just sentries). All of the new stuff needs to be gotten through achievements (one weapon rewarded per milestone) or from random drops. Before you ask, random drops are completely random, with no rhyme or reason behind them. Well, you are limited to ~8 a week (from random drops), but thats it.

So, long story short, just hop in games and play. You'll pick up new weapons along the way, and can learn what they do as they come to you.

I've started up my own TF2 server, check it out in my sig if you'd like to support another CAG's endeavor!

It is still a work in progress, so it may be a bit unstable from restarts and still needs a lot of modding.

New Update!

In-game stores, trading, polycount pack...too much info to process at once...

http://www.teamfortress.com/mannconomy/

Full Notes
Team Fortress 2
Added the Mann-conomy.
Added 65 new items (hats, weapons, tools, minigames, gifts, crates).
Added the Mann Co. Store & Catalog.
Added Trading.
Added Item customization.

Additional TF2 features
Added new auto-team-scramble system:
Set mp_scrambleteams_auto to 1 (default) to automatically scramble the teams if the criteria is met
Set mp_scrambleteams_auto_windifference to set the number of round wins a team must lead by in order to trigger an auto scramble (default is 2)
Updated how Spy disguise targets are selected to more randomly distribute the selections
Fixed the FreezePanel background not using the correct color if you were killed by a player or building on your own team

Server browser tweaks
It will now encourage you to add servers to Favorites or Blacklists after you have a good/bad experience on them.
The Server Browser now automatically closes after successfully connecting to a server (opt-out via the Options-Multiplayer->Advanced dialog)

Achievement tuning
Demoman achievement "The Stickening" changed to 3 from 5.
Heavy achievement "Krazy Ivan" changed to 50 from 100.
Medic achievement "Consultation" changed to 3 from 5.
Medic achievement "Peer Review" changed to 10 from 50.
Medic achievement "Placebo Effect" changed to 2 from from 5.
Medic achievement "FYI I am A Medic" changed to 1 from 5.
Medic achievement "Family Practice" changed to 5 from 10.
Soldier achievement "Geneva Contravention" changed to 3 from 5.
Scout achievement "Strike Zone" now counts assists.
Scout achievements "Fall Classic" and "Foul Territory" are fixed.

TRADING! NEW HATS!

So, what was the one extra class update they added that wasnt mentioned among the initial winners?

[quote name='Sporadic']Yeah, I'm not digging the store. Everything is insanely overpriced.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. $17.50 for the croc hat? The sniper pack is regularly priced at $30, which is more than the fucking game. I'm really hoping stuff is just priced like that for now to get people to play to find the items rather than just buy them right away.

[quote name='SEH']Tell me about it. $17.50 for the croc hat? The sniper pack is regularly priced at $30, which is more than the fucking game. I'm really hoping stuff is just priced like that for now to get people to play to find the items rather than just buy them right away.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. I've already seen people running around with new stuff. They must be making it rain at Valve.

I would buy a spy beard for $2.50 but they made it a minimum $5 purchase even though they use dollars :roll:

[quote name='Sporadic']I doubt it. I've already seen people running around with new stuff. They must be making it rain at Valve.

I would buy a spy beard for $2.50 but they made it a minimum $5 purchase even though they use dollars :roll:[/QUOTE]

Just wait for the inevitable xmas sale. I'm sure even the micro transactions will be on sale.

Its been a while since I've played, but hot damn some of those items look like fun.

I'm now on a quest to complete my vintage weapons collection (excluding hats). The only thing i think I'm missing is the skullcutter, and the crit-a-cola.

Last edited by a moderator:
God damn are people retarded when it comes to hat trading. No I will not give you three plus hats for your one hat.

[quote name='SEH']God damn are people retarded when it comes to hat trading. No I will not give you three plus hats for your one hat.[/QUOTE]

As with anything, some are more valuable than others

Polycount hat that can't be bought > Polycount hat (For sets) > Vintage older hat > Generation 1 hats > hatless

I traded for the demo pimp hat, Killer's Kabuto and Ye Olde Baker Boy so I've gotten all the hats I want. Working on the items now.

It's not even a new hat. I've run into people who want two or three hats for stuff like the Camera Beard, Slims Dome Shine, the Stainless Pot, and Ze Goggles.

I've also come across reasonable people and have been able to trade for the Hustlers Hallmark, the Tyrants Helm, and the Football Helmet. However, the number of morons who want to make ridiculous trades far outweighs the reasonable people.

Some of these new weapons are horribly overpowered. I keep getting destroyed by the new Scout gun and Spy knive. The new pyro thing makes great Axtinguisher pyros into killing machine. Almost impossible to counter when you get close to them.

[quote name='Sporadic']Some of these new weapons are horribly overpowered. I keep getting destroyed by the new Scout gun and Spy knive. The new pyro thing makes great Axtinguisher pyros into killing machine. Almost impossible to counter when you get close to them.[/QUOTE]

As with anything, you have to let it sit for a bit and get used to it. The ShortStop has a lower DPS overall compared to the Scattergun, the spy knife is totally denied by sentries but I'll definitely agree the Degreaser is a straight up upgrade. I don't know about overpowered though.

I'm kind of sick of TF2, it seems to be getting harder and harder for people who don't play constantly. I've got other shit to do besides playing for hours hoping to get something to drop. It's just changed too much for my liking.

I'm not a fan of the Degreaser. I like that it has a faster quick-change, but -25% burn damage sucks. You have to chase people for so long. I'm already back to using the regular flame thrower. I do like the Powerjack though.

[quote name='Clak']I'm kind of sick of TF2, it seems to be getting harder and harder for people who don't play constantly. I've got other shit to do besides playing for hours hoping to get something to drop. It's just changed too much for my liking.[/QUOTE]

Most of the non-default weapons suck anyways so you're not missing much. There are very few things that aren't default that I actually use. The sniper is really the only class that has shitty default weapons. Regardless, things are pretty balanced though, so it shouldn't be getting harder.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']As with anything, you have to let it sit for a bit and get used to it. The ShortStop has a lower DPS overall compared to the Scattergun, the spy knife is totally denied by sentries but I'll definitely agree the Degreaser is a straight up upgrade. I don't know about overpowered though.[/QUOTE]

Sentries don't do shit to that new spy knife if the spy is good. The amount of times I was stabbed and the spy just breezily sapped all of my shit is sad.

I just started to play again recently and I've had no problems with the store update until I found out you have to pay for a key to unlock this crate I found. The hell!

[quote name='Hostile']I just started to play again recently and I've had no problems with the store update until I found out you have to pay for a key to unlock this crate I found. The hell![/QUOTE]
Yeah, keys appear to be the only items that are store-bought only, which means if you've got a crate and you aren't into microtransactions, crates are trade fodder (i.e. worthless if you don't give a shit about trading).

They made the polycount hats craftable after the community whined, so maybe they'll also allow some keys to drop. IMO it's the fair thing to do if they want to hold to the idea that every item is available through store and item drops. As it stands, no dropped keys means "regular" players (those who get items through drops exclusively) don't have a chance at the unusual hats.

Not that it really matters, I'm just sayin'. I'd like to have key drops as I've picked up crates and would like to open for the items inside. Every little bit helps. It'll be forever before I get enough items/metal to craft up the two or three polycount hats to match my item sets. I realize the stat bonuses aren't supposed to be that great, but I'd still like to try them out.

The formula for crate drops are actually different and independent from regular item drops. Taking that into account, crates are just an added bonus if you choose to pay for the keys or trade them for other weapons.

[quote name='halfbent']Anyone else been having trouble getting items since the last reset? I hadn't gotten a single thing. =\[/QUOTE]

Thought it was only me. Prior to the update I'd find 7-9 items in a week; now, I'm lucky if I find four things. Since Wednesday (when they reset the item cap), I've found three things, and the last time I found something was Thursday. It's really annoying.

Anyone wanna trade a whiskered gentleman for a sombrero (Old guadalajara)?

If you are a professional hat trader this isn't a good deal since whiskered gentlemen have more supposed value than sombreros, but if you'd prefer trading hat for hat with a CAG then it would make me happy since I've been wanting one.

[quote name='Sporadic']I doubt it. I've already seen people running around with new stuff. They must be making it rain at Valve.
[/QUOTE]

Jesus fuck, looks like I wasn't off the mark when I posted that.

When Valve Software announced the results of Polycount's Team Fortress 2 item-modding contest, the winners were just excited that their creations would be in the popular mulitplayer shooter.

But with the recent introduction of the game's user-created virtual item marketplace, the Mann Co. Store, the winners' items went on sale to the Team Fortress 2 community -- and a 25 percent revenue share to the modders led to a surprising payoff.

Today, Valve said that community content creators Rob Laro, Shawn Spetch, Steven Skidmore, Spencer Kern and Shaylyn Hamm took home initial royalty payments ranging from $39,000 to $47,000 each from the first round of Team Fortress 2 content creation. And these are just the checks from the first few weeks of operation.

Kern told Gamasutra, "By having [user-generated content] implemented in the way that Steam has it, where people are getting monetary gains for the items they put in, it rewards people who put in the good items, who listen to the community and put in the stuff that everyone wants to see in the game. ... It'll bring out the quality artists to do the work."

He added, "It was completely mind-blowing, the size of the return that we're getting on these things."

Skidmore said, "I feel like this is going to open up a whole new level for everyone in general that plays these games who has an interest [in game design]. .. It'll ultimately be better for the industry, attaching the community to the game developer."

Valve said it was going to deposit the royalties in the modders' PayPal accounts, but the revenue from the sales was so high that it exceeded some of the service's limits on deposit size. Valve flew Kern and Skidmore to the developer's Kirkland, WA headquarters to give them the payments in person.

(...)

To Valve boss Gabe Newell, giving content creators a cut of the sales benefits Valve, the modders and the community as a whole. Newell noted that about half of the 250 people currently working at Valve came directly out of the gaming community.

He explained that typically, when gamers in a community have an idea or want to contribute something to the industry in a professional capacity, the path would be to create something interesting and get hired by a game company.

"I think this sort of short circuits that process," he said. "Once people ... realize this is about their community, and that the right people are getting the benefits, ... after a while, they'll say 'this is really how these kinds of communities need to work.'"

He added, "It benefits us because it grows the community, right? These [content creators] benefit, but we benefit too. Team Fortress 2 is a better product because we have community contributions in it. They're going to go off and listen to what the community says about how they can do that better, and we can draft along, as we both benefit."

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/3110...Community_Contributors_FiveFigure_Payoffs.php

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Damn, I've got to work on my modeling skills and make me a good 40 grand.[/QUOTE]

That 40K is just after two weeks. I'm sure there will be plenty more rolling in. It really is crazy and makes me wish I had any clue how to create/model weapons and hats.

[quote name='Sporadic']Big update just dropped. Added a bunch of hats and stuff along with this year's special event for Halloween.[/QUOTE]
I wonder if those hats in the store are event drops or store only...

They can be crafted. If you melee kill the raid boss you'll get an unusual scrap metal. If you craft that with 4 refined you'll get 1 of the 4 halloween hats (Which can be used outside of halloween). Or you can craft it with 2 refined and a scotman's skullcutter to get "An unusual horseless headless horseman's axe" or whatever it's called, which is a new model for the eyelander. With PURPLE TEXT.

Plus if you had a ghastly gibus before this patch, it's an even ghastlier gibus now. And there are random presents that spawn which give new bag masks.

I got the metal and crafted it with four refined to get the Voodoo Juju hat. I'm glad I wound up getting one of the hats only being offered for a short amount of time. I may have to buy that cleaver hat though since it looks awesome.

My friend and I have also been playing for like the past two hours trying to get all the masks to make the Sackston Hale mask. So far we've combined to get five of the nine.

Also, anyone collect all 20 pumpkins but not get the hat? I completed the achievement, as did my friend and multiple others in the server we were in, but nobody got the hat drop that it says it gives.

Those gifts are a bastard to get. Played for a few hours myself this night and only managed to get one mask. What locations have you seen gifts spawn in, SEH? The one I found was under the ladder leading up to the roof on CP #2. I also THINK I saw a dude grab one right behind CP #1, up on that raised platform where the defenders can drop down.

Also hope that the unusual metal remains in your inventory and can be crafted with after the Halloween event, because I just barely have 2 refined now and I'd rather make a hat with it when I get up to 4. Assuming I manage to get unusual metal before the event ends.

Had the mask for 20 pumpkins from last year's Halloween so I dunno if it's working properly this year or not.

Apparently you can spawn the headless horseless boss via console commands, if I don't get 5 special medals by the end of the event I think I'm just gonna do that :/

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Apparently you can spawn the headless horseless boss via console commands, if I don't get 5 special medals by the end of the event I think I'm just gonna do that :/[/QUOTE]
The only concern is that doing that will mark you as a "cheater" and get your stuff deleted, which is dumb if console commands exist to do so.

Also, you can apparently pick up the gifts while in spectator mode.

You can only get one of the unusual metals. I think it may be best to craft the axe now that I look back on it as you can purchase all the hats from the store whereas the axe is not available to buy.

As for present locations, I've seen so many different ones. There aren't just like a few select spots it can spawn, it basically spawns anywhere.

Oh, and if anyone here who visits the Steam forums, specifically the trade threads, don't believe the going value on the Sackston Hale mask. I went into about three trade servers last night and every single one had people talking about how they're on the Steam forums trying to artificially inflate the value of the mask.

Yeah, just found out you can only get 1. I spent an hour farming for nothing after getting my first. I'll probably craft the axe for the reason SEH said, as well as the hats mostly looking pretty lame IMO (Aside from the skull, but that's only a 25% chance!)

As for the value of Saxton hats, it'll be like the letter V. It'll start off high because it's new and interesting but will lower as people start getting their own and the interest wares off. Then Halloween will be over and they'll be rare because all of a sudden, they're unattainable! I personally don't care for it.

Anyone have a Sniper mask they'd want to trade for a Spy or Soldier mask?

Nevermind, got one. I now have the Sackston Hale mask. YAY!

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back