Team Fortress 2 Discussion Thread

Man these 4.5% folks who are whining are seriously getting on my nerves. It's in the EULA that using 3rd party programs can be punishable with no warning. While that normally means banhammer, they got creative with this one.

Anyhow, for all those 4.5% groups out there I made the 95.5% group.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Their 4.5% number seems highly suspect, or it only takes into consideration whether you own the game of not. The idler, for the past few weeks, has had at least 10k people connected to it. When you consider that people leave the server, join the server, etc, it's possible that 14k or 15k people have ever connected to it. While it's hard to determine the number of active TF2 players, the generally quoted number is around 20k. Even inflated a bit to around 40k, that still means 37% of people that still play the game idled.[/QUOTE]
That would be the peak for one day. TF2 hit 28k peak players today, but not everyone plays all day, and not everyone plays every day. 4.5% total players using the idler seems likely.

heh why do people take hats so seriously?

sidenote: the soldier looks ridiculous without a helmet covering half his face.

[quote name='Serik']heh why do people take hats so seriously?

sidenote: the soldier looks ridiculous without a helmet covering half his face.[/QUOTE]

because they look awesome

[quote name='Serik']heh why do people take hats so seriously?[/QUOTE]

Only reason I made that 95% group is because of all these silly 4.5% groups trying to turn their shit situation in to a sign of being a rebel and complete badass. A very mild troll if you will.

[quote name='Serik']sidenote: the soldier looks ridiculous without a helmet covering half his face.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I only have it on Pyro, Demo and Medic. The 3 classes it doesn't effect (Spy's head is too small and there's a bug where you can see it when he's invisible.)

sidenote: the soldier looks ridiculous without a helmet covering half his face.[/QUOTE]

1) Because they're rare. The easiest way to make someone covet something is to make it rare.

2) There are two ways for someone to stand out amongst their peers...with a Hat, or be exceptionally good. One of these takes a lot of time, strategy, and patience...the other doesn't.

Now that I see they're replacing weapons obtained through milestones, this isn't that bad. I don't really agree with what they did, but its not like I lost anything I worked for. I am, however, waiting for them to sell the item drop mechanic to people who already have all weapons. I wonder why they removed the random level weapon stuff....seemed like harmless fun.

the reason i get all worked up about hats is because i have none (well i have the halo now) but i have multiple sandmans, backburners, flareguns, sandviches, razorbacks, etc.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Man these 4.5% folks who are whining are seriously getting on my nerves.[/QUOTE]
This might be more pathetic than the people whining, actually.

Stop reading their posts.

"Problem" solved.

[quote name='Serik']

Yeah haha.... I'm gonna take the halo off my soldier.

the took all my excess items, even ones i got on random drops,

not a big deal because i have all the unlocks, except for some reason they took my sandman as well...

[quote name='Brak']This might be more pathetic than the people whining, actually.

Stop reading their posts.

"Problem" solved.[/QUOTE]

Oh but it doesn't stop there. In game, IRC, steam friends messages, it goes on and on and on.

actually, it makes killing people that much easier.

there's also something satisfying about the faded halo that floats there after you've fragged someone.

Yes. Currently it makes it easy to see cloaked and disguised Spies wearing a Halo. :\

Caught on to this yesterday when I kept getting easily spotted until someone from the other team kindly pointed out to me that they could see a floating halo whenever I cloaked.

The whole halo thing is quite a hilarious experiment. Basically what you have here is a bunch of mega-OCD players. They've got to have every unlockable in a game, rare or not, and they've got to have it RIGHT NOW. Hell, I know lots of people jump into achievement servers right after a class update to get all the new unlocks but never actually play the game until the next class update where they do it all over again.

Anyways, back to halos. The best part about all this is that Valve is keeping a precious item away from the OCD players. It doesn't matter what it is, they must have it, but they can't. Valve could make the next hat update a series of penis hats, literal dickheads if you will, and these guys would have to collect every one.

Great stuff.

The whole TF2 Steam forum is nothing but about the idler.

I just dealt with some moron who wanted to endorse a Valve-approved idler.

They couldn't accept there already was one. It was simply TF2 running all night. He argued that the idler would let him continue work on his computer because it didn't eat up processing.

Really? Is that what they're asking for?

[quote name='NTolerance']The whole halo thing is quite a hilarious experiment. Basically what you have here is a bunch of mega-OCD players. They've got to have every unlockable in a game, rare or not, and they've got to have it RIGHT NOW. Hell, I know lots of people jump into achievement servers right after a class update to get all the new unlocks but never actually play the game until the next class update where they do it all over again.

Anyways, back to halos. The best part about all this is that Valve is keeping a precious item away from the OCD players. It doesn't matter what it is, they must have it, but they can't. Valve could make the next hat update a series of penis hats, literal dickheads if you will, and these guys would have to collect every one.

Great stuff.[/QUOTE]
Did you pat yourself on the back after proofreading this?

2iiaiad.jpg

While B||oodsire is a good pyro, the editing on that video is terrible. He really ought to have taken the time to make a good video or had someone do it. Also, I hate to belittle it so much but most those players are very bad.

Other than that though, I love that video. Always fun to watch.

Second video has one flaw: He didn't put out his teammates at the 13 second mark.

Nothing more aggravating than a Pyro who uses a Flamethrower that won't put out his team if they're on fire.

...Okay, it's just as aggravating as a Medic that only overheals one god damned person in the team, no matter how many times you spam "MEDIC!" Especially when said overhealed person is constantly getting Sniped, blown up or Back Stabbed.

As for the whole Halo situation, both sides are acting retarded. You have the idlers who feel they're entitled to their weapons/hats, as well as feeling asspained for being called cheaters, as well as hating people for wearing Halos. Then you have the people rubbing it in that they didn't use an idling program and what not.

For starters, regardless if it has an effect on how you play or not, Valve's ToS for TF2 say they have the right to do what they please with your account if you're caught using ANY kind of 3rd party program that isn't supported by them. People are not getting the fact that Valve isn't punishing for idling; they punished people using a 3rd party program that is against the ToS.

Next, why the butthurt over the items being removed? It's not like they can't be accessed at all again. Hats have always been RANDOM drops, so there's no effort needed to get them. And weapons are easily obtainable via playing for a good while and achievements. Valve only removed the obtained items, nothing more. They COULD have deleted and banned accounts, yet people go batshit crazy over item removal.

Then you have people refusing to play with other players properly should one have a Halo. It's a free hat. Some people may have absolutely no hats other than the Halo and want to wear it. Don't be a douchebag by not healing or helping your team mate if they're in trouble while wearing a Halo. There's no reason to hold a grudge against people who opted not to use an idler. I can understand if it's someone being a dick, but not if it's solely because of the Halo.

Now, if the person IS being a dick...by all means, don't heal them or put them out if they're on fire. :) Griefing assholes is always fun.

[quote name='Tsukento']Second video has one flaw: He didn't put out his teammates at the 13 second mark.

Nothing more aggravating than a Pyro who uses a Flamethrower that won't put out his team if they're on fire.

...Okay, it's just as aggravating as a Medic that only overheals one god damned person in the team, no matter how many times you spam "MEDIC!" Especially when said overhealed person is constantly getting Sniped, blown up or Back Stabbed.[/QUOTE]

HueyLewis116
February 14, 2009
:roll:

I've found a good solution to all the douchebaggery of those who will only heal others with/without halos is to play Medic yourself and be an indiscriminate healer. Not the best if you don't want to heal the whole round, but far better than getting steamrolled because your team is stubborn with their heals.

I don't really see the fuss about idling programs or having X amount of items or even having the halo. The halo is ugly on my soldier so I don't wear it anymore. I've gotten all my items already thru the random drop system, I have 3 hats but they're for classes that I don't play. I play better without a pocket medic because I only have to protect myself. I don't engage in conversation while playing either.

Come to think of it I'm quite a terrible teamplayer haha.

I agree with you, the halo is just plain ugly, especially on soldiers (my favorite class).

I didn't get a halo 'cause I used the idler overnight once or twice. Compared to the time I actually spent playing the game it was nothing, but either way I don't really care. And yes, the hats are stupid and purely cosmetic and they don't do anything, but with the amount of time I've spent playing this game it's insane that I don't have one.

Really the best thing for Valve to do at this point is let you turn your duplicate weapons into hats. Maybe something like 5-10 items for a class can turn into a random hat for that class.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Really the best thing for Valve to do at this point is let you turn your duplicate weapons into hats. Maybe something like 5-10 items for a class can turn into a random hat for that class.[/QUOTE]

This plan would still lead to lots of complaints from people since they will have deleted a lot of duplicate items while waiting for the trade system to be implemented. Since this is Valve (and they are not the quickest developers around), I do not really expect to see the trade system implemented this year or it might be like their Christmas gift to the players. I kind of gave up on the hats since they are so hard to get and adding even more has not made this batch or the previous ones any easier to get.

[quote name='Sporadic']Pretty sure that is fake after reading the translated Russian forum that came from.[/QUOTE]

These items have been posted about for weeks from many different sources, whether or not their actual in game application is fake (In this video), the items are real.

[quote name='Nohbdy']As far as I know, they're actual beta items that may or may not see the light of day.[/QUOTE]

Just a note, most the beta testers have stressed that the Blut and Ubersaw don't need to be downgraded, but that Syringe and Bonesaw need upgrades. It's unlikely those 2 will see the light of day.

Update released. Pretty interesting...

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2825/

Engine

• If the installation is an HLTV relay we allow clients to connect as HLTV clients even if tv_enable is set to false. A recent exploit fix made it such that we ignore the flag indicating that the client is an HLTV client if tv_enable is false, but it is possible that relays won't have this ConVar set

Additions / Changes

• Backpack improvement
    • Added support for 100 slots in the backpack
    • Backpack can now be sorted by type
    • Multi-selection in the backpack is now done by holding down the Ctrl key
  • Alt-fire on the Sandvich now drops sandviches
    • A single sandvich can be dropped at a time. Dropping the sandvich removes it from the Heavy
    • A Heavy can regain his sandvich by collecting a healthkit while already being at full health
    • Eating a sandvich using the taunt method now heals a Heavy to full health
    • Dropped sandviches heal 50% of the collector's health
  • Medic regen changes
    • Base regen amount increased from 1/sec to 3/sec
    • Regen amount increase since time of last damage decreased from 3x to 2x
    • End result of above: Old healing scaled from 1/sec to 3/sec based on time since being damaged (maxed out at 10 seconds). New healing scales from 3/sec to 6/sec
  • Blutsauger
    • Replaced "No critical hits" negative attribute with "-2 health drained per second on wearer"
    • Health drain stacks on top of the above Medic regen changes, lowering the base regen by 2h/sec
  • Added "mp_windifference" server ConVar (default to 0)
    • When set to X, matches will be considered won if a team gets X points ahead of the other team
  • Added a "Remember the active weapon between lives" option to the Multiplayer->Advanced options dialog
  • Added "Disable weather effects" option to the Multiplayer->Advanced options dialog
  • Added "Show non-standard items on spectated player" option to the Multiplayer->Advanced options dialog
    • If set (default), it'll show non-standard items being carried by the player you're spectating
  • Tournament mode changes
    • New item whitelist allowing tournaments to control what items can be used by players
    • Added "item_whitelist_example.txt"
    • Added "item_show_whitelistable_definitions" command to get a list of whitelistable items
  • Added Tournament mode Spectator HUD
    • Added "Use advanced spectator HUD in tournament mode" option to the Multiplayer->Advanced options dialog
    • Shows all the members of your team (or both if you're a spectator) at the top of the screen, along with class/health/respawn time/charge level
    • Spectator indices are now shown on the team members, and hitting the corresponding weapon selection key (slot1-slot12 commands) will spectate them
  • Changed idle player check to include spectators & players who haven't chosen a team

Bug Fixes

• Fixed explosive radius detection using an axially aligned box instead of a sphere
    • Compensated by increasing the radius of grenades, pipes, and rockets to 50% of what they lost at the corners of the OBB
    • Grenades/Pipes radius change: 132->159
    • Rocket radius change: 121->146
    • End result of above: Explosives have had their radius reduced at some angles, and increased at others. Radius is now consistent, angles are now irrelevant
  • Fixed Sniper using the reference pose if he has the Huntsman deployed when his team loses
  • Fixed Spies speaking their response rules lines after killing a player as the class they were disguised as
  • Fixed Medics getting MedicCallerPanels in their HUD for cloaked enemy Spies disguised as their team
  • Fixed the Huntsman not firing crit arrows when the Sniper is being CritBoosted
  • Fixed being able to fire the Huntsman under water if you jump into the water with the arrow charged
  • Added check to prevent clients using the "firstperson" command to get out of thirdperson view while they're phasing, taunting or control stunned
  • Fixed Halo glow effect not being hidden for cloak/disguised enemy Spies
  • Fixed wearables not destroying their attached particles when they're removed
  • Fixed several player & viewmodel simulation issues that occurred when the game was paused
  • Fixed a DX8-based exploit that allowed modified particle effects to work under sv_pure 2

Community Requests

• Added the entindex() of the object being built to the "player_builtobject" game event
  • Added flag to allow CTF map authors to turn off the Overtime mode when timers expire
  • Added IgnitePlayer input to TFPlayer

Medic changes are interesting. I guess I'll be switching back to the syringe gun, as I don't think the blutsauger was that much more helpful. Hopefully this means less burning to death on top of a health pack.

Are they adding a lot more hats or something? 100 slots seems like a lot. It's nice that Heavy can share his sandvich now.

They are probably adding the extra slots since most of the testers had full backpacks and could not test a lot of new items without deleting stuff and they need to make sure to have room for the other class unlockables that are still needed.

[quote name='SEH']Great, so the Blutsauger, what was already one of the more OP guns in the game, gets crits. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

Overpowered. So you're saying medics were running around ruling the game with their bluts?

Yeah.

[quote name='Owen']They are probably adding the extra slots since most of the testers had full backpacks and could not test a lot of new items without deleting stuff and they need to make sure to have room for the other class unlockables that are still needed.[/QUOTE]

Previously, if you had every hat and every unlock, you wouldn't have enough space in your bag for it all. Although such an occurrence is statistically improbably, it could still happen. Plus, the added inventory space will allow us to accrue weapons and such for whenever their trading/crafting system actually goes live.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Overpowered. So you're saying medics were running around ruling the game with their bluts?

Yeah.[/QUOTE]

When you cant kill them because their gun gives them health, yet they can kill you pretty fast, its ridiculous. Now they have crits too, which only makes it worse.

[quote name='SEH']When you cant kill them because their gun gives them health, yet they can kill you pretty fast, its ridiculous. Now they have crits too, which only makes it worse.[/QUOTE]
Play better.

[quote name='Genocidal']Play better.[/QUOTE]

I play just fine. I'm generally always in the top three on any given team. The Blutsauger is just an OP gun. Its not like there is some epidemic with everyone using it, but when you do encounter a medic that uses it, its a total pain in the ass to kill them with basically anything that isn't the flamethrower.

[quote name='SEH']I play just fine. I'm generally always in the top three on any given team. The Blutsauger is just an OP gun. Its not like there is some epidemic with everyone using it, but when you do encounter a medic that uses it, its a total pain in the ass to kill them with basically anything that isn't the flamethrower.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the opposite of the truth. Let me rephrase then: play better and play against better people.

bread's done
Back