Ted Kennedy diagnosed with brain tumor

BigT

CAGiversary!
He needs all of our prayers at this time.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jQ0qyV1Z9XPXS6FFO5p2k9rV6HmwD90PN6I00

When I first heard that he had a brain tumor, I was hoping that it was a meningioma for his sake... but, based on what I've read, it seems like he has a high grade glioma, most likely a glioblastoma. That's a very grave diagnosis. With treatment, mean survival is about a year in his age group: http://www.neurooncology.ucla.edu/Performance/GlioblastomaMultiforme.aspx

High grade gliomas/astrocytomas are nasty and fast growing neoplasms that are impossible to fully resect surgically (can't get clear margins). Most chemotherapies have been only moderately effective... :cry: raising survival by a factor of a few months (neuro-oncology is a depressing field).

While I disagree with him on many issues, he has been a fixture in American politics for over 4 decades and has served the state of Massachusetts with great distinction. The Kennedy family have suffered far more than their share of tragedy. My thoughts are with him and his family.

[quote name='dopa345']While I disagree with him on many issues, he has been a fixture in American politics for over 4 decades and has served the state of Massachusetts with great distinction. The Kennedy family have suffered far more than their share of tragedy. My thoughts are with him and his family.[/quote]

I agree 100% with everything you said.

[quote name='thrustbucket']The guy is a pretty big douche.[/QUOTE]
That's the pot calling the kettle a douche. Exercise some tact for once in your life.

Pray? Thoughts?

We're not Care Bears.

Ted deserves respect whether you agree with the guy or not -- he stands up for what he believes is right in the face of lobbyists, something that very few politicians can (accurately) say about themselves.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']That's the pot calling the kettle a douche. Exercise some tact for once in your life.[/QUOTE]

Would you have written that if this thread were about George Bush?

[quote name='Koggit']Pray? Thoughts?

We're not Care Bears.

Ted deserves respect whether you agree with the guy or not -- he stands up for what he believes is right in the face of lobbyists, something that very few politicians can (accurately) say about themselves.[/QUOTE]

What would you two say if this thread was about Bill O'rielly, Michael Savage, Rush Limbaugh, George W Bush, Senator Orin Hatch, Donald Rumsfeld or Dick Chenny finding out they had cancer?

Koggit, how many of those guys would you give respect to? Yeah. That's what I thought.

To get respect, you have to be an ethical and honest person. I can't think of any politician that likely fits that for, including this one.

[quote name='thrustbucket']What would you two say if this thread was about Bill O'rielly, Michael Savage, Rush Limbaugh, George W Bush, Senator Orin Hatch, Donald Rumsfeld or Dick Chenny finding out they had cancer?

Koggit, how many of those guys would you give respect to? Yeah. That's what I thought.

To get respect, you have to be an ethical and honest person. I can't think of any politician that likely fits that for, including this one.[/QUOTE]

From that list, I would be supportive of Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage, Cheney and GW. Limbaugh, Hatch, and Rumsfeld are bottom of the barrel... even you would have to admit that. That isn't for any partisan reason, there are a lot of left wing hacks I wouldn't respect either.

This may surprise you, but I respect Bill O'Reilly in a similar manner to Ted Kennedy. I respect Bill O'Reilly much more than corporate shills like Keith Olbermann. O'Reilly stands up for what he believes in, even when it means less personal gain. Ted Kennedy also does just that, by choosing a life of public service and standing very strong against lobbyists. He could be making much more money in the private sector or if he accepted lobbyist offers like every other politician, yet he stands strong for what he believes in.

I actually think I would be more upset if this were Bill O'Reilly, since I feel as though I know him better than Ted Kennedy -- despite not knowing either.

Anyway... I'm rambling quite a bit... the point is Ted Kennedy is a very respectable man and has served his country well.

I've got a dollar that says any of you who wholly disagree with him on "virtually everything" can't name a single fucking bill he proposed in the past decade at all, let alone one you disagree with.

No Thomas searches either!

It's a shame for him, his constituency, and his family, and others close to him. It is, from all accounts, a death sentence, pitt. I hope that he does not experience prolonged pain or suffering from now until his end.

While I'm not fond of Kennedy's political stances, particularly on energy and unions, this is not something I'd wish for my worst enemy, let alone him. Mind you, the guy is 76 and has had a good run, but there are much more peaceful ways to go. Regardless of what you think about him, he should be in your thoughts and prayers.

[quote name='Koggit']From that list, I would be supportive of Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage, Cheney and GW. Limbaugh, Hatch, and Rumsfeld are bottom of the barrel... even you would have to admit that. That isn't for any partisan reason, there are a lot of left wing hacks I wouldn't respect either.

This may surprise you, but I respect Bill O'Reilly in a similar manner to Ted Kennedy. I respect Bill O'Reilly much more than corporate shills like Keith Olbermann. O'Reilly stands up for what he believes in, even when it means less personal gain. Ted Kennedy also does just that, by choosing a life of public service and standing very strong against lobbyists. He could be making much more money in the private sector or if he accepted lobbyist offers like every other politician, yet he stands strong for what he believes in.

I actually think I would be more upset if this were Bill O'Reilly, since I feel as though I know him better than Ted Kennedy -- despite not knowing either.

Anyway... I'm rambling quite a bit... the point is Ted Kennedy is a very respectable man and has served his country well.[/QUOTE]

Alright man, you make a good argument. I think I may just have a different concept of "respect" than most. But I can't argue with your position, it's solid.

[quote name='mykevermin']I've got a dollar that says any of you who wholly disagree with him on "virtually everything" can't name a single fucking bill he proposed in the past decade at all, let alone one you disagree with.
[/QUOTE]

While I don't really feel comfortable derailing this thread with his political positions, McCain - Kennedy immigration reform jumps to mind as the most recent.

:lol:

So let's be perfectly clear on something: in citing one piece of legislation, you're going to be a complete cunt about one person who was diagnosed with a terminal illness.

And you're going to give your vote to the other.

Hmm.

Makes sense, I suppose.

:roll:

EDIT: And fuck your comfort, to be honest. You're the one who couldn't withold a good ol' "The guy is a pretty big douche." So if you want to say things like that, don't expect to have people just let them lie on the table. This is the vs forum, not the "thrustbucket gets to say shitty things about politicians he doesn't like and then claim that he doesn't want to have a political discussion about it" forum.

Just so we're clear on that.

Was I being a cunt? I just stated I didn't like the guy as a person or his politics by using the word douche. That doesn't invalidate feeling bad for him having this diagnosis. Or does it?

Give my vote to who? Wtf are you talking about? I'm not voting for McCain, I like him about as much as Kennedy. McCain is a douche too. Does that make me a bigger cunt that I said that? Or only if he's terminally ill?

Your's truly,
Douche using cunt

[quote name='thrustbucket']Would you have written that if this thread were about George Bush?
[/quote]

I would. I don't wish illness, much less likely death, upon anyone. Especially not just because I disagree with their political beliefs and decisions.

To get respect, you have to be an ethical and honest person. I can't think of any politician that likely fits that for, including this one.

You don't have to respect someone to have some level sympathy for them when they are in dire health.

And putting the douche comment out there kind of devalued your following sympathetic statement. There's no place that type of comment in this type of discussion, it was a douchebag thing to do for sure.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I would. I don't wish illness, much less likely death, upon anyone. Especially not just because I disagree with their political beliefs and decisions.
[/quote]
I certainly don't, nor did I, do any of that.

And putting the douche comment out there kind of devalued your following sympathetic statement. There's no place that type of comment in this type of discussion, it was a douchebag thing to do for sure.

I respect your opinion on the matter and I see your point, but obviously disagree. I feel I can have sympathy for someone and feel they are douche's at the same time.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Would you have written that if this thread were about George Bush?[/QUOTE]
Of course. On some occasions, certain comments just aren't appropriate. But maybe I'm just a better person than you.

Althought I don't approve of his drunken girl killing policies, I do approve of his minimum wage raises, pro-environment (except the cape wind project of course), pro-choice, gay marriage and Iraq war stances. I feel he's served Massachusetts fairly well, and hope his suffering is minimal.

[quote name='opterasis']Althought I don't approve of his drunken girl killing policies, I do approve of his minimum wage raises, pro-environment (except the cape wind project of course), pro-choice, gay marriage and Iraq war stances. I feel he's served Massachusetts fairly well, and hope his suffering is minimal.[/quote]

It doesn't count if she was just a secretary!

bread's done
Back